PDA

View Full Version : O-Line

steelpride12
08-14-2007, 09:03 PM
You know i know that our O-line is the prob. and it's always seemed to be the problem, but with everyone saying it will be a good year and after seeing us give up sacks and pressured hits during the Green Bay game does this affect anyone's opinions on how our season will go.

Yes Starks is a main target of the less impressive line, but it's not just him i mean they all could be better except Faneca, but remember he is gone after this year so that is another low blow we will have to suffer and if our O-line is doing that bad whats gunna happen to our season, our record.

Just wanted to hear everyones opinions. thanks! :tt02:

Galax Steeler
08-15-2007, 03:12 AM
I admit they got to him a little on first string offense but alot of pressure came with 2nd and 3rd string.

Michael Keller
08-15-2007, 04:56 AM
The Offenive Line play and back up running back are serious areas of concern. I believe Tomlin and his staff are going to coach the Steelers to a higher level but there are weaknesses and I have just mentioned them. The Steelers will be competive and perhaps even advanced deep into the play offs but if they do there are going to be some SURPRISE players performing beyond what is expected.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
You know i know that our O-line is the prob. and it's always seemed to be the problem, but with everyone saying it will be a good year and after seeing us give up sacks and pressured hits during the Green Bay game does this affect anyone's opinions on how our season will go.

Yes Starks is a main target of the less impressive line, but it's not just him i mean they all could be better except Faneca, but remember he is gone after this year so that is another low blow we will have to suffer and if our O-line is doing that bad whats gunna happen to our season, our record.

Just wanted to hear everyones opinions. thanks! :tt02:

Starks a "target"? Max went from being a "promising prospect" to an "underachiever" to a "flat out embarassment" all on his own.

And "flat-out embarassment" was before KGB performed 'career espionage' on Max against Green Bay. I'd swear I saw tomahawks flying from Tomlin's eyes toward that "target" on Max's back. The only way to miss that "target" is to have Max blocking for you.

To be fair how many people his size will ever have the footwork required to pull an NFL paycheck?

theropodx
08-15-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah i gotta say the pass rush defense has me a bit worried. Um, if we can't stop the saints and green bay rushers, we're gonna lose at least the 2 games to the ravens again. =(

fansince'76
08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah i gotta say the pass rush defense has me a bit worried. Um, if we can't stop the saints and green bay rushers, we're gonna lose at least the 2 games to the ravens again. =(

Well, our starters haven't allowed a first down yet, at least to my knowledge. They held Brees to 1/6 passing for 6 yards and held Favre to 2/7 for 7 yards, all while playing a vanilla scheme. I'm not too worried about our D at this point. My chief concern is OL.

yinzer-inseattle
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Starks was playing (and I use that term loosely) out of position on the left, Faneca did not play at all on the left. So therein lies most of the issue revealed during the GB game. With M. Smith and Faneca on that side I don't see any of those pressures/ sacks happening.

The big question is can Starks be the man at RT or is it time to move in another direction with Colon? My vote is for Colon on the right with Starks on the bench or cut. That may be the reason we saw Starks at LT anyway. He may be to expensive as a backup at RT only but if he could back up both sides then they might keep him as a non starter.

It will be very interesting to see how things shake out with Starks. In any event, I do not think things are as dire as they looked in that game.

SteelFist
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
That sack that Marvel Smith gave up, he seemed as though he tried to help Kemeaotu out with his man when he should have been more concerned about his own. That mistake was evidently a mental one. And it may be due to the fact that he's so accustomed to Fancea. Just a thought.

Preacher
08-16-2007, 03:17 AM
That sack that Marvel Smith gave up, he seemed as though he tried to help Kemeaotu out with his man when he should have been more concerned about his own. That mistake was evidently a mental one. And it may be due to the fact that he's so accustomed to Fancea. Just a thought.

And a good thought... It was the same thought that led me to post a poll about Starks and Simmons last year...

Steeldude
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
i have been saying for the last 5 years that the O-line needs to be seriously addressed. the steelers let's their LB corps and O-line diminish over the years. instead they were focused on WRs for some odd reason. since 1999 the steelers have drafted only two offensive lineman in rounds 1 and 2. those were simmons(bust) and smith.

will faneca act like a baby or will he bust his ass for a contract when he hits the free agent market next year?

Steelerstrength
08-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Why do we keep switching the positions of our O-Line? I believe our pre-season issue's with the O-Line are a consequence of the coaching staff's desire or fear of a glaring hole on the right, coupled with the new center. The difficulty for the players is chemistry. They have not had the consistent opportunity to play with the same line. I sure hope the coaches see something they like very soon! Their need for experimentation is killing me, even though I understand the reason.

It was obvious that Smith gave up the sack because his initial move was to help on the inside. He was late getting back to the outside. Just a leader trying to help where he felt was a weak spot within the play assignment.

And Starks just cannot play on the left side at all. He was lost, and his foot work illustrated that perfectly. Come on Max! We need you to step up!

theropodx
08-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Well, our starters haven't allowed a first down yet, at least to my knowledge. They held Brees to 1/6 passing for 6 yards and held Favre to 2/7 for 7 yards, all while playing a vanilla scheme. I'm not too worried about our D at this point. My chief concern is OL.

We're talking about the OL here, not defense. We've had trouble with pass rushers--even Ben got sacked (2x was it?). Not good.

On the upside, this is the ONE thing that really bugs me. There are other troubles, but all in all I say these two games beat last year's preseason. Getting a good overall vibe about the team and new coach(es).

Steel Pit
08-17-2007, 05:26 AM
This offensive line,as a whole, at peak performance, is above average. If they underachieve at all they fall to the average/below average ranking.

These guys are the remnants of Bill Cowher drafting and the so-called "Great Russ Grimm" coaching. They are what they are and we're stuck with them. It's going to take 3-5 years before the Steelers are capable of fielding a semi-dominant offensive line.

steel-EERS
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
my two cents, Starks should only play right tackle, it seems that they want the dude from hofstra to win the right tackle position. it seems to me they are already moving on to next year and basically showing Max the door in a round about way. Not sure we have a back up left tackle. Trai Essex, has to be the backup LT by default I would think.