PDA

View Full Version : would the steelers D stuff fast willie?

tony hipchest
08-15-2007, 02:34 PM
http://postgazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

"We were talking about that the other day,'' defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He said he could easily get 100 yards on us. We got into a bit of an argument with it. But Willie's a great player and a Pro Bowl player and we're lucky to have him on our side."

Stop patronizing, Keisel; how many yards would he get?

"Would he get 100 against us?" Keisel repeated. "Not even close. He wouldn't get close. He would get maybe 15 -- on 15 carries."

good stuff. confidence isnt lacking nor is there any doubt on either side of the ball.

yinzer-inseattle
08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Depends on the o line, and the passing game threat. If it's our offense, I say he has a shot. It will be really hard for the DBs to come up consistently in support on the run with Hines, Holmes and Heath as potential big yardage threats. So assuming the DBs have to stay honest, and cannot jam the box with 8+, then Willies got space to run. And anytime Willies got space he's going to get his 100.

There are a couple of things that might get in the way of Willie having a really big game. First, oddly enough it seems as though Willie gets big yards mostly running right (huh, with Maxie on that side?). If its Woodley against Maxie then Willies got to go left (because Woodley is gonna eat Maxie for lunch) and I'm not sure if he's comfortable with that. Not sure how accurate I am on the right vs. left run analysis, but it's just my hunch that Willie's down field vision is better running to the right. Second is the X factor aka Troy Polamalu. I think Troy would do well to contain Willie, but he can't zero in on one guy all the time.

So my call is for Wille to get 110 yards and a TD with Troy helping to keep it from getting out of hand.

If Willie is on another team........ then that's a whole different thread!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok I have seen the Steelers defense shut down some really good RBs over the years.....RBs like Tomlinson have been shut down by the Steelers D.........He is the best in the NFL currently so I would say no that Fast Willie runs for 100 against Steelers defense.....But then again Willie can break one of those 50 or 70 yard runs to help his cause....

Very good question though......

Hines0wnz
08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I concur with everyone that its an excellent question and would be fun to debate.

CantStop85
08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Considering some of the other running backs that the Steelers have contained under 100 yards, yes, the Steelers D would stuff Willie Parker.

greddy10
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Steelers D > Willie Parker.

jjpro11
08-15-2007, 04:30 PM
what is the stat now? something like one rusher (edge james 2005) had 100+ yards rushing against the steelers in almost 40 games. i dont think willie could do it against us with the current offense. he was very weak against good defenses last year. maybe if he can step it up this year against teams like the pats, ravens, and jags.. id give him a better chance.

SuckItUp
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Willie's chances of accumulating 100+ yards on the ground against that D are probably 1 in 10 and that includes the odd chance that he breaks off a 70 yarder. Throw in screen passes and now theres a chance...but very unlikely he gets those yards strictly on the ground.

Elvis
08-15-2007, 06:11 PM
No....
Way.....
:helmet::tt02:

SteelFist
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
This is an interesting topic. But I know this, he couldn't get it against the Ravens......So he'd better not be able to get it against us.

The Duke
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry willie, but the steelers D is way too good. We were #3 against the run last year, and the man at helm of the steelers coached the defense that was #1 against the run last year. No one will have 100 yards against us.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I agree with most of you that Willie couldn't gain 100 yards against our D.

TommyG
08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I think the D would shut him down....As long as Starks is not blocking for him.

delhess
08-15-2007, 09:57 PM
my vote if for the d line. willie can get hot and roll, but the odds are against him.

an interesting side not: i wonder what the average rating of the steelers d has been in the last ten years??

TheWarDen86
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Steelers D would prevail. No question.

HometownGal
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Considering some of the other running backs that the Steelers have contained under 100 yards, yes, the Steelers D would stuff Willie Parker.

Holy shoot- I'm agreeing with a Bungle? :wink02::wink02:

I say yes - the Steelers DL would manhandle our current OL. Sad, but true imho.

steelpride12
08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
O most def. the steelers have shut down great backs before(LT, LJ) and im sure we would have no prob. with him.