PDA

View Full Version : Woodley pressing to start in Pittsburgh

stillers4me
08-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Woodley pressing to start in Pittsburgh
Posted by Sports Reporter John Heuser August 15, 2007 12:51PM

Editor's note:Third in a daily series updating readers on how the University of Michigan's 2007 NFL Draft picks and free agent signees are faring in the NFL preseason.

LaMarr Woodley ended his Michigan career as a dominant force at defensive end, winning the Lombardi Award as the nation's top lineman and tying the school's single-season record for sacks, with 12.

With the Pittsburgh Steelers, Woodley is reinventing himself as a linebacker (where he played early in his college career), and, by the looks of it, doing a fine job.

Drafted in the second round, Woodley has dropped about 10 pounds and has a new number (55 instead of the 56 he wore in Ann Arbor) besides the new position at outside linebacker.

Because of a rib injury to James Harrison, Woodley has started both of the Steelers' preseason games. While Woodley isn't assured of starting when the regular season kicks off, he seems to have guaranteed himself a substantial role on the team. At a minimum that could include rushing the quarterback on passing downs.

I have a good feeling about this kid.........he seems to be hard working and is coming along quickly. :tt02:
http://blog.mlive.com:80/wolverines/2007/08/woodley_pressing_to_start_in_p.html

SCSTILLER
08-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Woodley has been playing great for a rookie converted from DE to LB. I think he is going to have a good year with the Steelers. Reading Woodley's training camp blog (don't remember which website it was on) he seems level headed and was really hitting the playbook. Great second round pick. IMO I think he is going to be better than Timmons, but that is only my opinion. I hope they both turn out great.

Jman
08-16-2007, 08:36 AM
IMO I think he is going to be better than Timmons, but that is only my opinion. I hope they both turn out great.

We'll find out if Timmons plays.

atrus20
08-16-2007, 08:49 AM
I feel better about Woodley than I do about Timmons. I think both will be good but I feel like Woodley has the tools to be great for a long time.

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I feel better about Woodley than I do about Timmons.

Agreed - from what I've read and heard, I think Woodley has the far better work ethic of the two. That trumps perceived potential and respective draft positions any day in my book.

Steeldude
08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
i have wondered if woodley could be another kirkland-type ILB. farrior is getting up in years and foote is just an average LB who gets mowed down too often.

IMO, timmons will be a bust. i hope i am wrong.

TackleMeBen
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
woodley is a bad guy. being that i live in the detroit area i got to see him play at UofM and i was so excited when we drafted him..

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Woodley is a bad ass.........I'm pumped when the Steelers drafted him...But no he isn't an ILB so forget about that....Just look he fits the mold of former college DEs turned OLBs in the Steelers 3-4........If anything some project Timmons to move to ILB in the future.....But I see Timmons lining up all over the place in the Steelers defense in the future....The coaches play on using him like Troy in the future.......

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Woodley is a bad ass.........I'm pumped when the Steelers drafted him...But no he isn't an ILB so forget about that....Just look he fits the mold of former college DEs turned OLBs in the Steelers 3-4........If anything some project Timmons to move to ILB in the future.....But I see Timmons lining up all over the place in the Steelers defense in the future....The coaches play on using him like Troy in the future.......

I agree 100%.

And why would we move either of our OLB's to ILB when we're just gonna draft Ohio State's James Lauranitis anyhow?

And Farrior might be getting up there in age, but his production hasn't really dropped off any.

jjpro11
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
phew... imagine having woodley and harrison rushing on the outside at the same time. i would be scared as hell to be the qb staring those two down as im scanning the field. our defense could be as intimidating as it was in the 90s if these two rookies pan out.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree 100%.

And why would we move either of our OLB's to ILB when we're just gonna draft Ohio State's James Lauranitis anyhow?

And Farrior might be getting up there in age, but his production hasn't really dropped off any.

Son of one the Road Warriors...Yea he is a very good player and a bad ass....I like Jasper Brinkley from South Carolina as well...He can ILB but also has the size/speed to play OLB in a 3-4 as well....

HometownGal
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Agreed - from what I've read and heard, I think Woodley has the far better work ethic of the two. That trumps perceived potential and respective draft positions any day in my book.

Yes - Woodley does seem to have a better work ethic but I'm not throwing the towel in on Timmons. He really hasn't had the opportunity to "prove" himself. What I do notice about Woodley, though, is that he is one tough and gritty SOB. He exudes self-confidence and from what I've seen of him, shows no mercy. Imho - this kid is a future Pro Bowler. :tt02:

Indy_Steelers
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Woodley was my fav draft pick. The more I hear about him, the more I like him.

tred311
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Dude, the only thing I can say about Woodley is.............GO BLUE! He's going to be awesome!

-T

steelpride12
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I would love to see him get a litttle more speed under him and rush that QB......wow!

Steeldude
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM

farrior played OLB on the weak side for the jets and harrison was a ILB in college.

is james lauranitis slated to be drafted in the 1st round? if so then i doubt the steelers will get him. the steelers should using their first pick on the OL.

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 08:46 PM
farrior played OLB on the weak side for the jets and harrison was a ILB in college.

is james lauranitis slated to be drafted in the 1st round? if so then i doubt the steelers will get him. the steelers should using their first pick on the OL.
for sure. at this point it might be wise to take linemen with picks 1-3.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I agree the Steelers biggest need of right now is Oline for next years draft...But one of those LBs would be sweet....I like Brinkley but Lauranitis is a beast also...I don't think LB will be to high on the Steelers draft list since they did just used their first and second round picks on LBs this past draft....But I always like drafting best available instead of need...If one of the LBs is the best available when the Steelers draft then I would be all for it....

jjpro11
08-17-2007, 12:42 AM
I agree the Steelers biggest need of right now is Oline for next years draft...But one of those LBs would be sweet....I like Brinkley but Lauranitis is a beast also...I don't think LB will be to high on the Steelers draft list since they did just used their first and second round picks on LBs this past draft....But I always like drafting best available instead of need...If one of the LBs is the best available when the Steelers draft then I would be all for it....

i really doubt lauranitis will fall to us at pick #32. :wink02:

Preacher
08-17-2007, 01:01 AM
i have wondered if woodley could be another kirkland-type ILB. farrior is getting up in years and foote is just an average LB who gets mowed down too often.

IMO, timmons will be a bust. i hope i am wrong.

I know this is your opinion. I also thank you for not calling him a bust already.

But I just don't get how a person can have an opinion that a guy is going to be a bust, when that guy has only worked 3 days.

Galax Steeler
08-17-2007, 03:57 AM
I don't think timmons is a bust but he has alot of catching up to do.