PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin expects Timmons to make Saturday debut

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Tomlin expects Timmons to make his debut Saturday
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 16, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said his starters will see more action in Saturday night's third exhibition game against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field and that he expects rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons to make his debut.

"Tentatively we're going to play our first groups a lot longer than what we've done at this point," Tomlin said Thursday morning. "It is our intention to play guys longer in this game."

That means quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who played a total of three series in the first two games, should play at least into the second quarter. Running back Willie Parker, who missed the first two games because of a knee injury, will also start and receive extended playing time in the first half.

"We'll tend to play those guys more than we've played them," said Tomlin, who indicated the starters will play even longer in the fourth exhibition game against Philadelphia.

Timmons, the team's first-round draft pick who missed nearly all of the offseason workouts and two weeks of training camp with a groin injury, returned to practice Monday and has been given an increased workload.

"We anticipate playing Lawrence some. How much will kind of be determined on conditioning and what he's capable of handling from an assignment standpoint," Tomlin said. "He hasn't played a bunch of snaps, but it's obvious that he's taken advantage of the mental reps in the classroom work."

Backup nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) is the only player ruled out for Saturday. Tomlin said that tackle Marvel Smith (back), safety Anthony Smith (abdomen) and center Chukky Okobi (ribs) could play, although Okobi indicated Thursday that he would return for next week's home game against the Eagles.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_522525.html

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Great to hear that Timmons is playing.....Now Steelers Nation listen up grab your luck rabbits foot, knock on wood, pray to your terrible towel that Timmons doesn't hurt his groin again...lol

atrus20
08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Finally, lets see what Timmons can do.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I just hope his play makes us forget about his quick injury history since being drafted.

SteelFist
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Don't expect him to come out rippin' everybody up. He's only practiced since Tuesday. The other guys had 2 weeks of practice until they played.

In other words, Take it with a grain of salt. I just hope he makes it through healthy.

The Duke
08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
See, now people stop calling him a bust!! If he is pancaked throughout the whole game well yeah, call him a bust, but that won't happen. LT will be a a dangerous weapon on pittsburgh. Are we allowed to call him LT?

HometownGal
08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Good. Maybe some of you will stop putting the cart before the horse and shaddup about Timmons being a bust before you've seen what he will bring to the D. :wink02:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't see one person label Timmons a bust in this thread......Please point out were since I don't see it...lol

The Duke
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
I didn't see one person label Timmons a bust in this thread......Please point out were since I don't see it...lol

Well, not in this thread, but i've seen many people say he'll be a bust

ChronoCross
08-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Well, not in this thread, but i've seen many people say he'll be a bust

Yep. Even some like me said we hope we do not have Kendrell Bell 2.

steelpride12
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Great, can't wait to see what he's got!

Preacher
08-17-2007, 01:10 AM
All smiles: After finding out that he'll make his pro debut Saturday night, rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who had been sidelined with a groin injury, offered reporters a rare smile following practice. Before meeting with the media, Timmons, a two-way high school all-state performer in South Carolina, showed off a surprisingly strong throwing arm as he prepared to leave the field. Timmons threw several passes that easily traveled at least 60 yards with a tight spiral.

I can not wait to see what this kid can do. Remember that he is about 4 months behind everyone else. If he is even close to looking like a starter... we are going to be VERY lucky.

verks36
08-17-2007, 01:42 AM
lets see if he can show us something and top his fellow rookie counterpart lamar woodley

Preacher
08-17-2007, 01:45 AM
lets see if he can show us something and top his fellow rookie counterpart lamar woodley

Honestly, I doubt he could, just because of the time out.

millwalldavey
08-17-2007, 09:49 AM
I can't wait to see what he can do... I'm a Michigan fan and loved the Woodley pick, but i was hoping at first that Timmons would have been Pozlusny... i think it woul have been perfect. Now I lean towards Timmons. I hope he can get through without tweaking that groin... thats such a tough injury to heal.

BlastFurnace
08-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I guess they washed Duece's sweatsuit. Timmons is a little leaner, so he'll probably look better in it.

fansince'76
08-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Honestly, I doubt he could, just because of the time out.

:iagree: Timmons is too far behind the learning curve at this point to catch Woodley anytime soon.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm standing up for this kid regardless. You disbelievers are only making yourself look rediculous, stating we've drafted a bust when the guys been injured the whole camp!! Check out this scenario, Champ Bailey gets drafted as a rookie and has to sit out all training camp. "Ooohh no, we've got chad scott jr. over here! this guy was such a waste of a pick. boo hoo boo hoo."

How bout put a POSITIVE spin on it, and acknowledge the fact that he was our first round pick and if our second rounder turns into the start LB we've built up in our minds, just imagine what our FIRST ROUND OLB is capable of. This kids heard the "bust" rumors, and its only fueled his fire, only gotten him that much more ready to go out and prove the "fans" that doubt his capabilities more wrong than inviting OJ over to babysit

Aussie_steeler
08-18-2007, 01:25 AM
I am excited to see what his role is going to be in a game.

We have always excelled at the linebacker position and his skill set should bring a whole new dimension to the play for the team at this position.

I am also interested to see if he is going to be tested both inside and out at some stage. Tomlin has some serious plans for this guy.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-18-2007, 01:49 AM
The expectation of a rookie lately is to spend less time with the police and more time with the playbook. The pressure of the repeat is history.

FSU is becoming reminicent of a 1990's USC. Great talent but poor teams. Those teams produced a few NFL greats and HOF'ers. Timmons may elevate himself too.

Santonio Holmes shows what a diffference a year makes. Maybe his agent has calibrated him for future negotiations. Or maybe - just maybe - he sees the light. God bless that.