PDA

View Full Version : Townsend at Free Safety??

SteelFist
08-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Interesting! This is something I think we should have tried with Chad Scott. Although, I think Townsend would only play FS if Smith and Clark were injured.

By Mike Prisuta (mprisuta@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 16, 2007

SAFETY SECOND: CB Deshea Townsend worked at safety Wednesday afternoon, taking reps to prepare as an emergency fill-in at the position with FS Anthony Smith (abdominal) not practicing. That opened up work for CB Bryan McFadden with the first-team defense. At present, Townsend is not in danger of losing his starting position opposite CB Ike Taylor.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I doubt Townsend has the size and strength to be anything more than an emergency back-up at safety - Scott had some size.

PisnNapalm
08-16-2007, 01:04 PM
I doubt Townsend has the size and strength to be anything more than an emergency back-up at safety - Scott had some size.

I agree. He might do ok if needed, but not as a starter.

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
tomlin has mentioned using/practicing the safeties at cb and cb's at safety a while back. i think this is more for scheme as opposed to depth. im thinking of the pats-rams sb, where belichick devised a scheme to flip flop the cb's and safeties where the stronger safeties would jam ike and torry off the line and disrupt their timing routes while funelling them inside to the cornerbacks who were more adept to hang with their speed.

now doesnt everyone just wanna see troy and anthony smith jamming soft ass moss and stallworth off the line?

NJarhead
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
He can tackle and I'd bet he'd make a few picks too. I wouldn't be too depressed if that had to take place for a game.

Preacher
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
tomlin has mentioned using/practicing the safeties at cb and cb's at safety a while back. i think this is more for scheme as opposed to depth. im thinking of the pats-rams sb, where belichick devised a scheme to flip flop the cb's and safeties where the stronger safeties would jam ike and torry off the line and disrupt their timing routes while funelling them inside to the cornerbacks who were more adept to hang with their speed.

now doesnt everyone just wanna see troy and anthony smith jamming soft ass moss and stallworth off the line?

I would also see a few penalties for mugging... assault and battery, maybe even attempted homicide...

I just have a feeling that off the line, those two would pretty much destroy receivers in the first five yards.

The Duke
08-16-2007, 02:59 PM
No one can be better than Anthony in FS, period :smile:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
If McFadden takes his starting spot this season he could very well play some saftey in some of LeBeau's defensive schemes. He could play saftey and Troy could move to Lb, corner or even on the D-line

tony hipchest
08-17-2007, 12:15 AM
and the scheming continues:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_522583.html

Switcheroo: Defensive coodinator Dick LeBeau's unit was full of tricks. In an unusual pre-snap look, left cornerback Ike Taylor and strong safety Troy Polamalu switched positions, with Polamalu inching closer to the line and Taylor retreating deep in the secondary.

DACEB
08-17-2007, 09:07 AM
He can tackle and I'd bet he'd make a few picks too. I wouldn't be too depressed if that had to take place for a game.

Townsend definetly has the intelligence to make the move. VERSATILITY folks!!