PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin hands out report cards

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
tomlin offers some minor insight on the play so far of washington, davis, young, russell, and st pierre, and a few others but isnt too clear who has the best shot of landing the final 4 or so spots on the 53 man roster.

http://www.postgazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

When it comes down to those last three or four guys, position is not a factor,'' he said of his 53-man roster. "It's team guys, guys that make your football team better. Whether that makes it five wideouts or six wideouts, or five backs or six backs, you've got to be willing to step outside the box and look at what makes your team strong. We will do that. We have a general idea about numbers, but we're not married to it by any stretch."

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Tomlin on Trai Essex:

On Trai Essex, who will will get a shot to be the swing man as a backup tackle and guard: "He's a developing player. And really, he's at this point in his career where he needs to be a developing player. And we've had frank discussions about that, he and I, and I think he's answering the call."

I bet Tomlin has told Essex he is hanging by a thread - with Starks clearly being unable to play LT I guess Essex gets his shot this weekend. I still think Essex is likely to be gone by Labor Day.

The Duke
08-16-2007, 06:29 PM
What, no mention of the free safeties?

Steelerstrength
08-16-2007, 06:56 PM
On Davis: You root for those guys from a humanistic standpoint. But the reality is that we have to keep the best 53.

It appears as though Russell is higher on the depth chart than Davis. I read this as Davis is not going to be around, and Russell still has a chance to show he can perform the intangibles.

We shall see.

Galax Steeler
08-17-2007, 04:40 AM
I hate to see either one get cut but you have the fresher legs in russell.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-17-2007, 07:07 PM
What, no mention of the free safeties?

Haha, oh man we just can't get enough can we?!