PDA

View Full Version : Ward finally sold on Tomlin?

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 07:12 PM
thats the impression i got after watching wards assessment in an interview as 1st tomlin camp wraps up. it almost seems like they have a tiny bond and it seems like he is buying in and acting like the leader he is. he said camp was hard but smiled as he said tomlins favorite word is "bone" and how tomlin likes to throw them to the players for working hard.

savran asked what the biggest difference this year from wrapping up camp last year (an obvious bait question for something juicy).

ward said that the hunger is back. last year in camp everybody was watching ben and ben was trying to work so hard and prove he was ready to play after the accident. this year he said instead of all the players looking at ben, they are looking in the mirror at themselves to se what they couldve done/ can do better.

i thought it was a great answer.

tomlin knows alot of the players will gravitate to ward and coach told him he wants him to continue to be himself and not change a thing. ward said he is almost a liason between some of the younger players and coach. he said they have excellent lines of communication.

i hope a strong bond is formed before it comes time for ward to renegotiate his salary. he should be able to put together a long career like that of ike bruce or marvin harrison. hopefully it remains in pittsburgh (jerome bettis).

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Is the interview available on the web anywhere, or am I just S.O.L.?

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Is the interview available on the web anywhere, or am I just S.O.L.? im thinking its not. it was really good though which is why i felt compelled to offer a synopsis to all our fine posters who dont have fox sports net pittsbugh. :wink02:

i was just glad to see in the interview that it wasnt loaded with the cautious pessimism faneca had when asked if the steelers closed the gap on the ravens.

any sceptisizm ward may have had with a new coach seems to be gone. this doesnt mean all the veterans will give tomlin a "cowher pass" if the team goes 8-8 again, but as of now it seems like they are on the same page.

i predict by the bye tomlin will have everybody sold, and it will trully be "his team" in every sense of the word, although i wont be suprised to hear faneca sound like an outsider looking in with every interview he gives. he may see good things going on and remain feeling like a jilted lover.

it sucks to see those happy and willing to move on w/o you.

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Ah, well, thanks for the synopsis. It really sounded positive, considering how skeptical Ward's comments were during the offseason, minicamp and at the beginning of TC.

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Watched the interview tonight on FSN Pittsburgh and I'm just thankful Ward 'approves' of Tomlin's first camp, because if Hines did not agree (after getting his big contract extension not too long ago), I would seriously have to wonder about Tomlin and the Steelers front office as a whole.

I can now sleep comfortably tonight knowing Hines Ward approves of the way Tomlin ran camp. Thank God.

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Watched the interview tonight on FSN Pittsburgh and I'm just thankful Ward 'approves' of Tomlin's first camp, because if Hines did not agree (after getting his big contract extension not too long ago), I would seriously have to wonder about Tomlin and the Steelers front office as a whole.

I can now sleep comfortably tonight knowing Hines Ward approves of the way Tomlin ran camp. Thank God.:chuckle: yeah, im glad ward doesnt seem like he is going to fire tomlin any time soon. he did aknowledge tomlin was young and bound to make his share mistakes.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Tomlin has sold a lot of people (including me) since his selection. Ward can just join the list.

Another big fan is Peter King. He has three "dream" teams up on Si.com - all time (Greene makes it as a starter/Woodson + Blount as reserves); current (no Steelers); and 2012 (no players but Tomlin as head coach). Here is what King has to say about Tomlin:

knew he had a heck of a chance to succeed in the profession's cradle of coaches a few months ago, when I related to him a few things that his players were saying about him. He chuckled. "Peter, they should be concerned with what I think about them." He's a smart defensive guy who will never stop learnin

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dreamteams/08/10/future.team/index.html

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
:chuckle: yeah, im glad ward doesnt seem like he is going to fire tomlin any time soon.

Now I wouldn't go that far. If coach Hines Ward feels that Tomlin is underachieving during his first year as a HC in the NFL I'm sure he will not hesitate to pull the plug.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Now I wouldn't go that far. If coach Hines Ward feels that Tomlin is underachieving during his first year as a HC in the NFL I'm sure he will not hesitate to pull the plug.

Yep - "Fredo" Ward will have Tomlin's back so he can be the first one to put the knife in it.

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Another big fan is Peter King. He has three "dream" teams up on Si.com - all time (Greene makes it as a starter/Woodson + Blount as reserves); current (no Steelers); and 2012 (no players but Tomlin as head coach).

SI at it's best - Ray "the Knife" Lewis is named as a starter on his all-time team, but Lambert AND Ham were left off entirely. :rolleyes:

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
SI at it's best - Ray "the Knife" Lewis is named as a starter on his all-time team, but Lambert AND Ham were left off entirely. :rolleyes:

Ray-Ray being named over both of them was bad enough, but naming Harry Carson as a reserve over #58 and #59 added insult to injury as King decided to be a homer for someone he covered as beat reporter for the Giants in the '80s.

Ham was so good teams just stayed away from him until he was injured in 1979.

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Ham was so good teams just stayed away from him until he was injured in 1979.

Yep, but to Ham's detriment, he never stabbed anyone, or "found religion," or tooted his own horn at any and every available opportunity.

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Said it once before.....

IMO, Jack Ham is the best OLB to ever play the game. Man he could do it all. The guy was smart and hardly ever made a mistake. Wish we had him at this point in Steelers history. Imagine that? That would be a thing of beauty.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep, but to Ham's detriment, he never stabbed anyone, or "found religion," or tooted his own horn at any and every available opportunity.

Agreed - as a student of the game, Ham also was an excellent radio analyst on 80s and 90s broadcasts - it is too bad he did not make it on to one of the 4 America's Game shows for the 70s Steelers, seeing as he arguably was the most dominant of all the Steelers at his position during the 70s.

FastWillieParker39
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Agreed - as a student of the game, Ham also was an excellent radio analyst on 80s and 90s broadcasts - it is too bad he did not make it on to one of the 4 America's Game shows for the 70s Steelers, seeing as he arguably was the most dominant of all the Steelers at his position during the 70s.

Yea Ham is a radio commentator for PSU football. He knows a lot about the game still and I learn a lot from him.

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7129414

Steelers initially resist change, but Tomlin senses a turnaround
Associated Press, Updated 2 hours ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Maybe the Pittsburgh Steelers still were Bill Cowher's team when training camp began last month. The players weren't happy about the extra practices new coach Mike Tomlin scheduled and all the contact work during the opening week of camp.

There also was that annoying clock along the sidelines that ticked down the amount of time left in a drill - the clock Hines Ward claims never moves. And the altered practice schedule. Ward also complained that Tomlin allowed the defensive backs to be too physical against the receivers during supposedly non-contact drills.
No wonder that, when asked what he saw his players resisting, Tomlin said, "Everything."

But as the days at Saint Vincent College wound down, Tomlin believes his players settled into the new routine. They came out with an all-business mind-set and an extra measure of physicality for their first preseason game, and they dominated the Saints while the starters were on the field.

While Tomlin hasn't said it yet, he doesn't believe there will be much lingering talk of how it used to be with the Steelers when they open the season Sept. 9 at Cleveland.

"They resisted the change, like we all do," Tomlin said Thursday. "But, ideally, I think they did a nice job of dealing with it and not letting it affect their quality of play."

As camp dragged on - it finally ends Friday, when the Steelers leave for Saturday's exhibition game at Washington - Tomlin sensed less and less resistance.

"It's funny, we're all creatures of habit, particularly the guys that have been here a long time," Tomlin said. "Guys who were drafted here, they knew only one way. When you know what's going on, you never have to look at a schedule and you can kind of be on autopilot. That's what we crave. We like to be on autopilot and know what lies ahead. But sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone a little bit."

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2007, 10:34 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7129414

The fact Tomlin even needs to claim he is now accepted indicates to me he knows there are still pockets of resistance.

As long as Tomlin does not lose a regular season game everything will be great. Let's see if everyone is still singing Kumbaya if they are 4-6 in mid-November.

Faneca knows he is leaving and is making no bones about not being thrilled to be here and being uncertain as to this year's prospects.. If Ward concludes it will be his last year and it is not going well he will be a fountain of leaks disparaging Tomlin.

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Faneca knows he is leaving and is making no bones about not being thrilled to be here and being uncertain as to this year's prospects.. If Ward concludes it will be his last year and it is not going well he will be a fountain of leaks disparaging Tomlin.
i wonder what young, upcoming, soon-to-be free agent receivers would be willing to come to pittsburgh and play for the money hines is scheduled to make?

i cannot see 4-6 but then who saw 2-6 last year?

regardless, the smart players will know that crossing tomlin will be about as productive as crossing the rooneys. and i dont think we want any dumb players hanging around, regardless of how popular they are amongst the fans.

hopefully integral members of the team get this. i think faneca finally crossed the line today when his pessimism seemed to shift from management to all his new team mates. but then again weve always known he doesnt get excited about rookies, even when he is [was] the highest paid guard in the game.

FastWillieParker39
08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
hopefully integral members of the team get this. i think faneca finally crossed the line today when his pessimism seemed to shift from management to all his new team mates. but then again weve always known he doesnt get excited about rookies, even when he is the highest paid guard in the game.

Yea remember in 04 when he complainied about Ben being the QB. What happened? He kicked some ass. I think he should give the rooks a chance to proves themselves and not be a *** about it.

TackleMeBen
08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Yea remember in 04 when he complainied about Ben being the QB. What happened? He kicked some ass. I think he should give the rooks a chance to proves themselves and not be a *** about it.
:iagree: but why would he care how he is being preceived? he is leaving at the end of the season.

Preacher
08-17-2007, 12:31 AM
:iagree: but why would he care how he is being preceived? he is leaving at the end of the season.

So much for Fanaca being all business.