PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore is talking about the Steelers hotel rider

SteelersMongol
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
BALTIMORESUN.COM

Moving the Chains: Traveling with the Steelers

If Ravens fans are looking to get creative when razzing the Steelers faithful this season, I have a link that might prove helpful.

The Smoking Gun got its hands on Pittsburgh's 17-page hotel contract rider that lists the team's requirements when traveling on the road.

In great detail, the document describes everything from meals and silverware to room assignments. It's an interesting look at a side of the NFL the average fan would never think about.

Here are some highlights:

# The Steelers require 35 copies of the local newspaper. Good news for The Sun huh? I bet Troy Polamalu goes straight for the crossword puzzle.

# Two TVs with cable must be available in the room where meals are served. Can't blame 'em. Curb Your Enthusiasm premieres this season in September. They'd be crazy to miss Larry David's antics.

# The hotels are instructed to place a large white board with dry erase markers outside of meeting rooms. Pre-game Cranium? Hey, I'm all for unity-building team activities.

# For meals, the team requires a drink table with glasses, styrofoam cups and ice. Isn't styrofoam bad for the environment? I hear the EPA calling. Can't argue with the ice, but they should specify crushed, not cubed.

# Players are not permitted to have alcohol in their rooms and the mini-bar should not be stocked. It's a good thing. Who wants to pay $20 for a weak gin & tonic anyway?

# Players are not permitted to receive phone calls after 11 p.m. That's probably the only thing Willie Parker has in common with your 16-year-old daughter.

# Gatorade will be shipped to the hotel. Place Gatorade and bottled water in an ice chest near elevators on each player floor. Wouldn't it just be easier to make a trip to the local Costco?

# Heinz ketchup in a bottle must be served on every table. Ashton Kutcher needs to punk them and place generic-brand ketchup on all the tables before a game this season. You're telling me you wouldn't watch Ben Roethlisberger flip out over getting the wrong condiment? It'd be must-see TV.

# I can't even describe the menu. Let's just say it sounds a bit more appetizing than my last trip to Olde Country Buffet. Filet mignon and prime rib are available for the pre-game meal five hours before kickoff.

Note: The Smoking Gun does not say how it obtained the document.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/blog/2007/08/traveling_with_the_steelers.html

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I think a more obvious target would be the new mascot, especially if we beat them this year and they can't smack on us from a football perspective. I'm sick and tired of hearing "58-7!" :pissed:

SteelersMongol
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry guys, if this was posted before. I did look for similar thread around, didn't see anything. And then again, I have trouble finding my keys, cellphone, and RC for my TV, so if there is one already posted my apologies.

BTW, does anyone have a link for the complete full list?

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Sorry guys, if this was posted before. I did look for similar thread around, didn't see anything. And then again, I have trouble finding my keys, cellphone, and RC for my TV, so if there is one already posted my apologies.

BTW, does anyone have a link for the complete full list?

Steelers Hotel Requirements (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0813071steelers1.html)

stillers4me
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm sure the other teams have similar requirements. Can't figure out why the Steelers were singled out. I guess if you can't find anything else to to nit pick about..........

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 10:06 PM
crappy thing is, its not just the ravens. if you read the associated press article on the story, the headline makes it sound like the steelers travel requirements are absurd.

i guess they should just stay in motel 6 like every other team does :rolleyes:

TackleMeBen
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm sure the other teams have similar requirements. Can't figure out why the Steelers were singled out. I guess if you can't find anything else to to nit pick about..........

i am sure they do.. unless you are the lions, b/c we all know the fords are cheap..
and they that the steelers have the most fans and are the best team in the nfl :thumbsup:..

and if i remember correctly when the seahawks came to town for superbowl xl they stayed at the marriot and i am positive its not a cheap place to stay ... :wink02:

tony hipchest
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
some teams are cheaper than others. i remember hearing a recent interview with a player who had recently departed the cardinals who was ripping on the bidwells. i cant remember who but he was saying how they couldnt even order a movie in their room.

he also ripped the fact that the team wouldnt even provide extra large towels in the locker room.

just take a look at the 49ers travel arrangements in the 80's and early 90's. this stuff isnt new. hell, tom brady has a bowl full of green peanut M&M's (with the peanut removed) and a 3 pack of trojan mini-magnums with a pinhole poked in them, on his bedstand for every road game.

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 11:08 PM
hell, tom brady has a bowl full of green peanut M&M's (with the peanut removed) and a 3 pack of trojan mini-magnums with a pinhole poked in them, on his bedstand for every road game.

Not to mention a copy of all the latest women's magazines to scope the covers for the latest "talent." :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
some teams are cheaper than others. i remember hearing a recent interview with a player who had recently departed the cardinals who was ripping on the bidwells. i cant remember who but he was saying how they couldnt even order a movie in their room.

he also ripped the fact that the team wouldnt even provide extra large towels in the locker room.

just take a look at the 49ers travel arrangements in the 80's and early 90's. this stuff isnt new. hell, tom brady has a bowl full of green peanut M&M's (with the peanut removed) and a 3 pack of trojan mini-magnums with a pinhole poked in them, on his bedstand for every road game.
tony, thank you for making me waste a good rum and coke this evening..lol.. :sofunny::sofunny:.
and for almost choking .

SteelersMongol
08-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Is that only 17 pages?

PAMillerGrrl83
08-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Ha it was on CNN the other morning on their "Sports News" and they called it "drastic" and "uncalled for". Hey our boys like to eat and eat well.

Preacher
08-18-2007, 10:38 PM
If CNN says it is drastic and uncalled for....

that means that it is actually pretty normal....

typical CNN

fansince'76
08-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Ha it was on CNN the other morning on their "Sports News" and they called it "drastic" and "uncalled for".

Biggest crock of shit I've heard in a while - I'm sure it's pretty much standard fare for any NFL franchise to be treated that way. Like Tony said, do they think every team in the league besides us stays at a Motel 6 when they're on the road? Riiight.

tony hipchest
08-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Biggest crock of shit I've heard in a while - I'm sure it's pretty much standard fare for any NFL franchise to be treated that way. Like Tony said, do they think every team in the league besides us stays at a Motel 6 when they're on the road? Riiight.
next thing you know, they will say that people who pay good money to have wedding catered is "drastic" and "uncalled for". people are treating this like its the CEO of Tyco or something.

why arent they bitching about jerry jones paying a billion bucks for his scrub players to have a field and their shitkickin fans having a place to sit and watch them?

good teams want their players treated as well on the road as they are at home. its not like the rooneys are paying $2/ hour to indentured servants or something for this service.

if the hotel has any problems meeting the demands, they can send the business down the road.

rbryan
08-18-2007, 11:40 PM
You would think Ratbird fans would be content to jerk each other off while watching the highlights from last year.

I don't get this one either.