PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland QB loser will be gone

ChronoCross
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
According to a Cleveland radio station, the loser of the Cleveland Browns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cle/) quarterback derby between Charlie Frye (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7243/) and Derek Anderson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7389/) will be traded or released.
Frye appears to have the edge right now based on his slightly better performance during training camp and in the first preseason game.

I would not mind having ether as a 3rd string backup. Someone like Miami will pick whoever is cut up.

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I assume they're not going to throw Quinn to the dogs from the start and ruin his career before it really starts, ala Tim Couch?

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I assume they're not going to throw Quinn to the dogs from the start and ruin his career before it really starts, ala Tim Couch?

I would assume so. However, when the Browns are 0-3 and Frye has thrown 12 INT's to 1 TD, Romeo will make Quinn the starter. And when they are 0-6 at the bye week, Romeo will be gone.

But come on, you would think Dorsey would get cut and they'd carry Frye, Anderson, and Quinn. I guess the FO and Romeo feel that when it's all said-and-done, there will be too much bad blood for the loser to stay.

ChronoCross
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM

I doubt they would start quinn day one against the Steelers. Steelers are known for punishing first year starting QBs badly. But as we know it is the Browns and they do some weird things.

The Duke
08-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Frye has good talents, if we would have 3 QBs on the team Frye would be a good option. Right now I hate him cause he's a brown, but he would obliviously be better than St pierre

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Its safe to say though the Browns current Oline is better then any Oline Couch had...lol They did draft Joe Thomas with the 3rd pick and that kid is a beast...Plus they picked up a solid guard in FA in Eric Steinbach......So there is some pieces in place for the Browns Oline to be solid...Plus the skill positions players currently on the Browns roster is better what Couch had to....Even though Jamal Lewis is washed up....He is still the best RB the Browns have had since they have been back in the NFL....I think Braylon Edwards is a really good young WR...Even though Soldier Boy Winslow is a complete tool he is a good TE.....I still think the Browns are going to suck...But at least Quinn will have more to work with then Couch ever had....

TackleMeBen
08-16-2007, 10:47 PM
why dont they just flip a coin and see which one will be gone.. that is how they decided who was going to start the preseason game... isnt that the romeo way of doing things...lol

ShutDown24
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
LOL - Quinn plays for the Cleveland Browns... His career is already ruined...

The reason must be the bad blood theory, both are good backups to have but anyone whos been watching the preseason knows that St.Pierre is more than a good enough third string back-up. He has excelled this year.

When it's all said and done my money is on Al Davis signing the loser :D :D :D

fansince'76
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
LOL - Quinn plays for the Cleveland Browns... His career is already ruined...

Point....ShutDown24! :cheers:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Frye has good talents, if we would have 3 QBs on the team Frye would be a good option. Right now I hate him cause he's a brown, but he would obliviously be better than St pierre

The thing is I really dont think that Frye would sign with us if he knew he was going to be a third stringer. I believe that he wants to be a starter or at least a backup in the league.

millwalldavey
08-17-2007, 09:19 AM

No way! St. Pierre may not have been good enough to grab the reigns abck in the day (or now... although I PRAYED he was the future when that other guy was running the show... remember him... i think he was #10???) but he knows the system... he's been in it for so long (cept for that brief exile to Baltimore).

Personally, I think the Steelers have the best 3 man quarteback depth in the NFL.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
No way! St. Pierre may not have been good enough to grab the reigns abck in the day (or now... although I PRAYED he was the future when that other guy was running the show... remember him... i think he was #10???) but he knows the system... he's been in it for so long (cept for that brief exile to Baltimore).

Personally, I think the Steelers have the best 3 man quarteback depth in the NFL.

Have you noticed the coaching change? Yeah, we have a NEW system.

The playbook has changed, it's not the same.

The philosophy has changed too...it's no longer:

Run on 1st Down.

Run in 2nd Down.

Pass on Third-And-Long.

Punt.

And knowing the system doesn't mean the guy is someone who should be kept. If he's a crap QB, he's not needed.

The Duke
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Sorry, but I just don't like pierre at all. If for some reason we go with 3 qbs, which I'm hoping doesn't happen, Frye would be great for that position

j-dawg
08-17-2007, 04:18 PM
shesssh... the browns haven't played a single game yet and you've already got it in your heads that romeo and frye wont be in cleveland past the bye week. the browns play the steelers opening game at cleveland. seems that everyone who's posted on here thinks it's going to be an easy win. this is the first time in a LONG time i feel confident in saying, win or lose, the browns are going to be anything but an "easy" opponent this year.

revefsreleets
08-17-2007, 04:35 PM
This is not an accurate report. Quinn makes the team as #3, and the only question is if Dorsey can usurp Frye or Anderson for the back-up job. If this team only keeps 2 QB's, they risk Joshua Cribbs taking all the snaps by week 10.

Big7BenHOF
08-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Screw it...just start Ken Dorsey.

SteelCityMan786
08-18-2007, 07:30 AM

I'll let the dogs on him quick. I'm sure that our D won't mind.

rbryan
08-18-2007, 08:59 AM
You guys have this all wrong. The QB loser will actually be the winner if it means he gets to leave Cleveland.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-18-2007, 10:14 AM
You guys have this all wrong. The QB loser will actually be the winner if it means he gets to leave Cleveland.

The man makes an excellent point.

rbryan
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I didn't see the game but, the in the few highlights I saw BQ looked pretty good. I think we have a winner.

I pray he starts Sept 9. lol

CantStop85
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I must admit, Brady Quinn looked awfully impressive for having such a late start. If he keeps it up and Frye/Anderson continue to struggle, he just might take the starter spot earlier than expected.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I must admit, Brady Quinn looked awfully impressive for having such a late start. If he keeps it up and Frye/Anderson continue to struggle, he just might take the starter spot earlier than expected.

Maybe Quinn will start the opener.

Just think, if he never held out, he could be the starter right now.

jjpro11
08-19-2007, 03:17 PM
this is the first time in a LONG time i feel confident in saying, win or lose, the browns are going to be anything but an "easy" opponent this year.

id believe you, but i have heard that comment far too often here in cleveland and it never holds true.

btw, i wouldnt want any of the browns cut qbs. st pierre is fine.. he knows the system and the players. i dont want any browns scrubs.

jjpro11
08-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Maybe Quinn will start the opener.

Just think, if he never held out, he could be the starter right now.

i hope he does start.. i'll be there live and get to see us give quinn a typical steelers-browns beating.

rbryan
08-19-2007, 04:40 PM
shesssh... the browns haven't played a single game yet and you've already got it in your heads that romeo and frye wont be in cleveland past the bye week. the browns play the steelers opening game at cleveland. seems that everyone who's posted on here thinks it's going to be an easy win. this is the first time in a LONG time i feel confident in saying, win or lose, the browns are going to be anything but an "easy" opponent this year.

Other than a handfull of blowouts over the past ten years the Browns still always manage to play the Steelers pretty close. Its the other 14 games you need to worry about the team getting up for. I know I'll be pulling for your boys at least 4 times this year.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 06:25 PM

My understanding is he came in with 9:20 to go, which means he moved the ball against players who are hoping to catch on with the special teams, so it was like his lights out college performances against Navy & Army.

I agree there is tremendous pressure on Crennell to start Quinn, but his holdout has to mean he will not start until October and only then if teh Browns season has cratered.

Livinginthe past
08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Not only was Quinn playing against a bunch of cut-bait but he was also playing against a defense that was in a prevent formation (not too sure bout the logic of doing that in a pre-season game).

Alot of his throws were to guys running short/intermediate routes down the middle where they couldn't get out of bounds.

The TD throw was nice, though.

revefsreleets
08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I saw the whole game. Ken Dorsey looked like the best QB on the team to me. He played against a real defense and drove right down the field and scored.

Quinn came in the game with about 10 minutes or so to go, and he played well, but he played against 3rd stringers. He showed some awareness of the game, audibled at least once during the drive, and made some nice passes. It was the second best drive of the game (Dorsey's was crisper).

The last drive was nothing. He hit his check down guy and alternated by spiking the ball to stop the clock. He made a couple nice throws at the end, but the competition wasn't there.

He needs to take some snaps with the first team next week, but that will also be against Denver's 1st team D, not Detroit's.

Can I blame Cleveland fans for wanting to rush Quinn in too fast? No. But the fans are showing their general ignorance of the professional game and the challenges that a Browns QB faces. The prudent thing to do would be to start Frye, wait until the Browns lose the appropriate amount of games that will eliminate then from the playoffs, then start Quinn. And if he's getting hammered, bring Frye back in.

MasterOfPuppets
08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
shesssh... the browns haven't played a single game yet and you've already got it in your heads that romeo and frye wont be in cleveland past the bye week. the browns play the steelers opening game at cleveland. seems that everyone who's posted on here thinks it's going to be an easy win. this is the first time in a LONG time i feel confident in saying, win or lose, the browns are going to be anything but an "easy" opponent this year.:rofl:....your killin me here !...:rofl:

clevestinks
08-20-2007, 08:07 AM
They both suck, how will they get anything more than a 7th rounder

j-dawg
08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
:rofl:....your killin me here !...:rofl:

:wtf:
naw this would kill you...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/animated123.gif

:hehe:

fansince'76
08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
My understanding is he came in with 9:20 to go, which means he moved the ball against players who are hoping to catch on with the special teams, so it was like his lights out college performances against Navy & Army.

Agreed - it will be interesting to see how he does against players that won't be washing cars a little over 2 weeks from now.

rbryan
08-20-2007, 05:09 PM

I agree there is tremendous pressure on Crennell to start Quinn, but his holdout has to mean he will not start until October and only then if teh Browns season has cratered.

In BQ's defense, the other players on offense were also 3rd and 4th stringers who more than likely aren't going to make the roster either.

Can you tell I really want to see BQ start on opening day?? lol

j-dawg
08-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Agreed - it will be interesting to see how he does against players that won't be washing cars a little over 2 weeks from now.

that's exactly what i was saying last night after watching the game on nfl network. (although i said these guys will be selling insurance and driving fedex trucks in two weeks) sure, there are some fans who would like to see quinn play with the first team next week, but i don't think that's a good idea. frye performed better than anderson, and i still think he's the qb to start this season. the defense showed good poise, pressured a lot. the offense can move the ball, jamal had 26 yards running on the first drive. i saw some good things. i was more disappointed with some of the coaching decisions during that game.... if there was a complaint for me to be made, it was that the team was out coached.

fansince'76
08-20-2007, 05:12 PM
In BQ's defense, the other players on offense were also 3rd and 4th stringers who more than likely aren't going to make the roster either.

Can you tell I really want to see BQ start on opening day?? lol

Well, I think any HC that decides his QB by a coin flip and whose job is pretty much dependent on how the Browns do this season buckles to public pressure and we may very well see him on 9/9. However, any HC that lets the fans make his personnel decisions for him is doomed anyway. Hard call at this point, IMO.

revefsreleets
08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Crennel doesn't care about his public perception, and he's right not to. He will also NEVER start Quinn over Frye early in the season, which is also right, but he may start Quinn when the Browns build up losses. That's also the correct call. All I care about at this point is renewing the rivalry. The Browns have been such a horrible doormat and such a guaranteed win for us for such a long time that it's almost a scrimmage when we play them.

j-dawg
08-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Crennel doesn't care about his public perception, and he's right not to. He will also NEVER start Quinn over Frye early in the season, which is also right, but he may start Quinn when the Browns build up losses. That's also the correct call. All I care about at this point is renewing the rivalry. The Browns have been such a horrible doormat and such a guaranteed win for us for such a long time that it's almost a scrimmage when we play them.

last years november 19th game was certainly not a scrimmage.

rbryan
08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure Romeo has the luxury of waiting until the season is out of hand before throwing him to the wolves. The job he's worked for all his life is on the line right now. He may never get a HC opportunity again. If you thought enough of him to spend a first round pick, you might as well go down swinging. You already know the other two guys aren't the answer.

Livinginthe past
08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I've seen coaches fail in Cleveland and go on to be successful elsewhere.

Crushzilla
08-20-2007, 11:20 PM

I've also seen a picture of dog's playing poker, yet my Labrador is terrible at picking up betting patterns...

Please, LITP... If we can't compare every 6th round pick to Tom Brady, then we shouldn't assume that every shmo who falls off the horse to Billy-boy

Livinginthe past
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I've also seen a picture of dog's playing poker, yet my Labrador is terrible at picking up betting patterns...

Please, LITP... If we can't compare every 6th round pick to Tom Brady, then we shouldn't assume that every shmo who falls off the horse to Billy-boy

Hmmmm.

I would say your examples outdo mine in terms of stretching credibility.....just :wink02:

In all seriousness, Cleveland is a graveyard for playing and coaching talent.

If Crennel does leave, he'll go back to D co-ord for a few years, excel and then get another shot at HC.

Thats my prediction.

Crushzilla
08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Hmmmm.

I would say your examples outdo mine in terms of stretching credibility.....just :wink02:

In all seriousness, Cleveland is a graveyard for playing and coaching talent.

If Crennel does leave, he'll go back to D co-ord for a few years, excel and then get another shot at HC.

Thats my prediction.

Ok, chew chomp...

You win.. I'll play

Who can say? I mean who knows. A Cleveland special teams and secondary coach could POSSIBLY go on to be a very successful Super Bowl winning coach... right? A boy can dream...

Maybe the Browns coaching pool is the finest fertilizer in pro football...

P.S. Admit it, that poker analogy was solid...

Livinginthe past
08-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Ok, chew chomp...

You win.. I'll play

Who can say? I mean who knows. A Cleveland special teams and secondary coach could POSSIBLY go on to be a very successful Super Bowl winning coach... right? A boy can dream...

Maybe the Browns coaching pool is the finest fertilizer in pro football...

P.S. Admit it, that poker analogy was solid...

The Poker analogy gained extra points because it was being played by 'dawgs' :toofunny:

I've seen that picture before - the bulldog is guilty of slowplaying a strong hand.....

tony hipchest
08-21-2007, 12:29 AM

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

crennell isnt a young buck. if he plans on solidifying his credentials, and hopping back on the bandwaggon with belichick (or parcells) he better do it quick. he isnt getting any younger and the nfl isnt kind to re-tread dinosaur coaches (unless they get out young, sit, and study it for years like dick vermeil)

in fairness to crennell, he didnt have youth on his side and wasnt handed a semi capable team with talent to wreck and learn mistakes from in his 1st stint.

my prediction is crennell will just be happy having a coordinators job beyond his HC stint, ala dick lebeau.

im sure others think anyone from the belichick tree are capable of equalling or surpassing his own success. then again, after the retirement of belichick and brady, i predict half of the patriot fans to root for mangini and the jets (assuming he lasts that long).

fansince'76
08-21-2007, 04:18 AM

Besides Belichick, whom? Butch Davis? Terry Robiskie? Jim Shofner?

rbryan
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
He's overated at best, others will say he just sucks. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on him to get his next HC gig. Aside from the obvious reason, way more loses than wins, his presence and appearance doesn't exactly cry out HC. Whether it's fair or not, appearances are a big factor and Romeo isn't cutting it. If he was winning 70% of his games no one would care what he looks like even if you had to roll him out on the field, but thats not the case.

j-dawg
08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
He's overated at best, others will say he just sucks. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on him to get his next HC gig. Aside from the obvious reason, way more loses than wins, his presence and appearance doesn't exactly cry out HC. Whether it's fair or not, appearances are a big factor and Romeo isn't cutting it. If he was winning 70% of his games no one would care what he looks like even if you had to roll him out on the field, but thats not the case.

ohh that's rich... he's a tubby, that's why he sucks! :dang:

buddy ryan, andy reid, mike holmgren... yeah, they all suck as well! :yawn:

rbryan
08-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Thats not why he sucks but it won't help him at the next job interview with the crappy record he has now. How can you instill discipline in your team when you obviously have very little yourself.

Image is everything in our society today, like it or not, and football is no different than any other element of that society. As I mentioned, if Romeo won a few games it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

BTW your boy Romeo is more than just a little tubby. He's two happy meals away from needing a foklift to get up and down the sidelines.

Livinginthe past
08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Besides Belichick, whom? Butch Davis? Terry Robiskie? Jim Shofner?

Apolgies, it was late and a plural appeared where none should have :wink02:

I was referring to Belichick and Belichick only.

I just enjoy typing his name when I have a half decent excuse.

Belichick.

fansince'76
08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Apolgies, it was late and a plural appeared where none should have :wink02:

I was referring to Belichick and Belichick only.

I just enjoy typing his name when I have a half decent excuse.

Belichick.

Understood - I was just curious. I even did a little research into the Browns' recent history to make sure I wan't missing anybody besides Belichick. :chuckle:

j-dawg
08-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Thats not why he sucks but it won't help him at the next job interview with the crappy record he has now. How can you instill discipline in your team when you obviously have very little yourself.

Image is everything in our society today, like it or not, and football is no different than any other element of that society. As I mentioned, if Romeo won a few games it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

BTW your boy Romeo is more than just a little tubby. He's two happy meals away from needing a foklift to get up and down the sidelines.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

revefsreleets
08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
last years november 19th game was certainly not a scrimmage.

Actually, it was. The Steelers clearly didn't start playing football until the 4th quarter, and only after they realized that they might actually LOSE to the Browns. When one team takes 3 quarters off and still wins on the road, that's a scrimmage.

j-dawg
08-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Actually, it was. The Steelers clearly didn't start playing football until the 4th quarter, and only after they realized that they might actually LOSE to the Browns. When one team takes 3 quarters off and still wins on the road, that's a scrimmage.

yeah, that's what the steelers were thinking when playing that game. :dang:

revefsreleets
08-22-2007, 07:56 PM
You really think the Steelers were playing balls out against the Browns? Here's the truly bad news for you. I don't think the Steelers have played 100% against the Browns for a whole game since they came back into the league. Well, maybe that once, when they beat the Browns under (cough cough) Tommy Maddox in the playoffs in '02.

j-dawg
08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
You really think the Steelers were playing balls out against the Browns? Here's the truly bad news for you. I don't think the Steelers have played 100% against the Browns for a whole game since they came back into the league. Well, maybe that once, when they beat the Browns under (cough cough) Tommy Maddox in the playoffs in '02.

:yawn: keep telling yourself that reves.... seriously.. any player would say they don't take any team in the NFL lightly.

revefsreleets
08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
:yawn: keep telling yourself that reves.... seriously.. any player would say they don't take any team in the NFL lightly.

Of course they say that in the press. Want the ultimate example? The Steelers probably took the Raiders "very seriously" last year. And they lost. Badly. It's a perfect example. The Steelers were reigning SB champs, and the Raiders were the worst team in the league. But look what happened.

I realize you have to cheerlead for your team, but look at the record for Christs sake. Under Cowher, the Steelers were 19-5 against the Browns, 21-5 if you count post season. The Steelers are 7-1 at the new Browns stadium, and I remember the horrible debacle of Can't Graham trying to run it in for the win in that one loss (another game where the Steelers were out partying the night before). Remember the 41-0 game? The Steelers actually played balls out for a half, and look how that turned out.

Anyway, put something on the field that can compete and you'll earn the Steelers collective respect back. Until then, well...