PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER WHIFF BY THE TEXANS?

ChronoCross
08-18-2007, 03:09 PM
ANOTHER WHIFF BY THE TEXANS?
There's already talk in league circles that defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, could be a bust.
The 20-year-old rookie from Louisville received plenty of hype in the run up to the draft. But the opinion of some is that he is undersized and not strong. As one source said, he's the "creation of a good P.R. campaign," and "there's no way he's a first-round pick."
Okoye already has been overshadowed in training camp and the preseason by Rams nose tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall selection. Carriker appears to be poised to make an instant impact at this level.
In our view, the biggest red flag regarding Okoye was raised when his college coach, Bobby Petrino, drafted defensive end Jamaal Anderson instead of Okoye. If Petrino, who had prior NFL experience, believed that Okoye could excel as a pro, Petrino surely would have taken the known commodity over the unknown quantity.
If Okoye falters, he'll be the third first-round pick on the Texans defensive line that has underachieved, including defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams.

The Duke
08-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Has Parkerfan seen this :chuckle:
I really thought Okoye would be a good player, maybe I was wrong

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Everything I read on this kid was that he was a boom or bust prospect...It seems that the Texans are plunging into a draft-assessment quagmire, that was until recently reserved for a lonely Marvin Lewis.

MasterOfPuppets
08-18-2007, 03:55 PM
i think its a little too soon to call mario williams a bust.

Crushzilla
08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
i think its a little too soon to call mario williams a bust.

I agree. People just get caught up because of the years that Bush and Young had. Just about everyone :jawdrop: when they decided to go with Williams and its satisfying for those same people to already pack his bags for Bustsville.

CantStop85
08-18-2007, 04:21 PM
And a little too early to be calling any rookie a bust after one preseason game. Okoye just turned 20...it's obvious that the kid is a project player. He's going to need some time to grow and get stronger. There's no question he's got the motor and the desire already.

I think it'll take at least a couple years in the NFL before we see what Okoye can really bring to the table.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2007, 04:36 PM
And a little too early to be calling any rookie a bust after one preseason game. Okoye just turned 20...it's obvious that the kid is a project player. He's going to need some time to grow and get stronger. There's no question he's got the motor and the desire already.

I think it'll take at least a couple years in the NFL before we see what Okoye can really bring to the table.

...all kidding aside..you are exactly right...the same can be said for Williams, who will ALWAYS be held to the Bush standard. I personally dont think that Okoye was a top 10 pick... (based on risk)..and think that the texans would have been better off going RB or trading down and picking up extra picks.....but I will check back in a few years to see what Williams and Okoye have done...they may surprise me.

Preacher
08-18-2007, 05:15 PM

Yep... I gotta agree with you

fansince'76
08-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree that Okoye is a project player, but IMO, picking up a project player was a very unwise move with a top 10 pick, considering they made the double-gaffe last year of not only passing on Bush, but Young as well. The Texans need help now, not 3-4 years down the road.

SteelCityMan786
08-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Has Parkerfan seen this :chuckle:
I really thought Okoye would be a good player, maybe I was wrong

Just from what I have seen prior to the draft, I thought he'd be set, might need a couple more years.

jjpro11
08-19-2007, 12:19 AM
i agree that it is silly to call a rookie a boom or a bust at this point. the thing that would have me a bit worried is why his college coach passed on him in the draft.

MasterOfPuppets
08-19-2007, 01:27 AM
lets not forget that polomalu was none to stellar from the getgo....:coffee: