PDA

View Full Version : Prisuta - Time has arrived to get serious

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Sounds like the honeymoon is over for Tomlin with the local media after 3 preseason games:smile:

Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Having identified the game against Philadelphia next Sunday as the one he'd most like to resemble a regular-season affair, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin had Saturday night's preseason exercise against the Washington Redskins left to experiment. ..

Strong safety Troy Polamalu was removed from the game on the second such change in personnel, which for the most part featured nose tackle Casey Hampton, linebacker Larry Foote and one of the starting outside linebackers, either Clark Haggans or James Harrison, leaving the game, and safety Tyrone Carter, cornerback Bryant McFadden and a fresh pass-rusher entering.

Removing Polamalu for any reason other than injury is not something the Steelers want to explore.

Have to agree with that - Troy did not get that contract to be a situational player.

On offense, experimentation along the offensive line that saw Willie Colon and Max Starks share right tackle and Kendall Simmons and Chris Kemoeatu split right guard established only that the Steelers have exhausted their opportunities to mix and match up front.

They need to set their starting five against Philadelphia and play the unit as if something is at stake for continuity's sake.

The starting five of, from left to right, Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Chukky Okobi, Kendall Simmons and Max Starks was excelling in the early days of training camp, before all of the shifting around occurred.

Agree again - any experiment that involves attempting to turn Max Starks into a left tackle is a waste of playing time. With the O-line being the major concern this season, next week presumably will have the anticipated starting five playing together for a half, since the last exhibition game will have minimal appearances by the starters.

The decisions aren't obvious, as Tomlin hoped they might become in time.

The time has arrived to make them, all the same.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_522983.html

Of course, unlike Cowher, Tomlin has no real idea as to the strengths and weaknesses of his players, other than what he has seen on film. In addition, Tomlin really is taking a fresh look at the entire roster, which requires more mixing and matching. Finally, no offense was worse than the preseason 2005 Steelers and they started the season firing on all cylinders.

Like everyone else, Priusta is ready for the real games to begin in three weeks.

HometownGal
08-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Good read, Dan - thanks. :cheers:

Have to agree here that the musical chairs with the OL needs to come to a halt and the anointed five need to play together for more than a couple of series. I'm still not sold on Chukky at C but I'm not the one making that decision. I didn't get why Troy was taken out of the game so early and I have to strongly agree with Prisuta here - unless he is injured (which I don't believe he was) - he should be on that field.

GBMelBlount
08-19-2007, 10:11 AM
...They need to set their starting five against Philadelphia and play the unit as if something is at stake for continuity's sake....

With the O-line being the major concern this season, next week presumably will have the anticipated starting five playing together for a half, since the last exhibition game will have minimal appearances by the starters....

The decisions aren't obvious (for OL starters), as Tomlin hoped they might become in time. (However) the time has arrived to make them, all the same....

Finally, no offense was worse than the preseason 2005 Steelers and they started the season firing on all cylinders.

Good points. I Agree OL a concern. Hopefully once starters picked, they will quickly "gel." I also agree preseason performance is not necessarily a strong indicator of regular season. .

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Have to agree here that the musical chairs with the OL needs to come to a halt and the anointed five need to play together for more than a couple of series. I'm still not sold on Chukky at C but I'm not the one making that decision. I didn't get why Troy was taken out of the game so early and I have to strongly agree with Prisuta here - unless he is injured (which I don't believe he was) - he should be on that field.
i only saw clips and highlights of the GB and Was. game, but every time i see troy in the screenshot, he seems to be the most active player on the field. i dont know if it was possible for him to step up his game even more, but he seems to be playing on a level all his own. watch him on the replay against #46 (c. cooley) where him and kiesel blitzed and campbell got his knee hurt.

i think tomlin has seen enough and troy definitely doesnt differentiate between pre season speed and regular season. he is 100% in midseason form.

Stlrs4Life
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
With only 2 games remaining, you guys are correct. We need to see the same 5 on the line.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Need to emphasize I know it is only preseason; as one commentator said, if you base it on preseason Brady Quinn is going to the Pro Bowl.

On SportsCenter this morning ESPN is ranking the teams on average points per game on offense and defense, a particularly worthless stat since starters are gone no later than halftime.

OTOH, San Diego looked very good in the first half of the Rams game last night.

I have not seen the last 2 games but recall the Philly game is on a network next week, so I will be watching closely for some signs of progress.

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I have not seen the last 2 games but recall the Philly game is on a network next week, so I will be watching closely for some signs of progress.nfl network is replaying the steelers -washington game at 12:00 est today.

based on his 1st action since his injury, mcnabb looked like hes ready to make another mvp type push. the steelers gotta make him look like favre and brees as opposed to campbell and collins.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm with on Okobi Hometown......He has never started fulltime for a 16 game season and he seems to always be hurt.....I wonder how he can hold up for 16 games? But I don't think Mahan has impressed at all as a center....So that seems to be a huge hole as of right now.....Hopefully one of those guys step up their play...

As for Troy if that was a regular season game...Noway Troy leaves the field in that situation....

Elvis
08-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I think that our O Line looks like this...
LT Marvel Smith
LG Alan Faneca
C Sean Mahan
RG Kendall Simmons
RT Max Starks
I really hoped that Colon would take over that RT spot, but it just doesnt seem like he is ready to dethrone Max over there. I also think that Mahan has outplayed Okobi, which I kind of think maybe he will be replaced or released sooner than later. The Steelers cant afford to pay him starter money and him sit on the bench. Marvel if healthy is our best prospect at LT and I think that Simmons has played pretty well from what I have been able to see But either way... the coach needs to make a decision and stick with it the rest of this preseason...
:tt02:

Preacher
08-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Wedo may be right... sadly.

However, It may be that they were trying Starks over their, to see if it is even worth keeping him. What did they find?

Nope. Not at all. I am surprised they didn't try him at center.