PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and Long

moedap
08-19-2007, 10:05 AM
There seems to be an inherent flaw in Dick L's defense when it comes to 3rd and long. For the past 3 or 4 years I have been frustrated seeing teams throw a post pattern or similar middle of the field route that ends up completed for a first time. I thought the problems were due to the lack of speed on the pass rush but last night I swear a couple of times the quarterback threw the ball from his back and still completed the pass.

The Duke
08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, according to than June article that talked about LeBeau's updated quarter defense we may see a change on opening day against the browns. In Dick's words "The players appear confused until the snap, when there’s a well-planned jailbreak". We'll see blitzes for anywhere and others covering. What we saw last night is indeed a problem, hopefully it is changed like LeBeau said

OneForTheToe
08-19-2007, 01:34 PM
There seems to be an inherent flaw in Dick L's defense when it comes to 3rd and long. For the past 3 or 4 years I have been frustrated seeing teams throw a post pattern or similar middle of the field route that ends up completed for a first time. I thought the problems were due to the lack of speed on the pass rush but last night I swear a couple of times the quarterback threw the ball from his back and still completed the pass.

I agree to an extent. But, in that 3 to 4 year range you mention, there was a Super Bowl and a 15 - 1 season. So, sometimes we fans do have to recognize that there is another team on the field and we are simply not going to dominate every series of every game. In addition, one of the reasons why teams are always throwing against us on third and 5+ yards is because they rarely can run on us so they aren't in many third 1 or 2 yard situations that would call for running plays. In other words, I bet are 'D' faces as many 3rd and long situations as any 'D" in football. Still, we do have to sure-up the pass defense. The "Skins" offense is hardly the Colts, or for that matter the "Bungles."

MACH1
08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm really hoping it gets better, remember the 03 / 6-10 year? Were going to have to get teams off the field on third down on a consistent basis.

nicesteel4life
08-19-2007, 02:59 PM
It's pre-season and were not showing our hand. I have trust in our team come opening day!

GeneralRobinson
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
There seems to be an inherent flaw in Dick L's defense

The flaw is that teams seem to be able to better read which one of our defenders is blitzing. This allows them to effectively pass protect leaving our secondary exposed because the quarterback has time to read the coverage and find the open man. Couple that with the fact that our rushers' ability to get around the linemen when blocked seem to be lacking.

Elvis
08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I am watching the game on replay on NFL Network and from what I heard on the radio last night on WDVE out of Pittsburgh, we just could not get of the field on 3rd downs. And yes, a few years ago that absolutely killed our defense. They must fix this problem or it wont matter how good Big Ben and the offense does. And for our 1st string offense... well... they pretty much sucked!!!! Santonio Holmes is the only one that has impressed me the last couple of games. Our new rookie punter is Pro Bowl Bound in my opinion...
:tt02:

Edman
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Since when has there ever been a perfect Steelers defense? I bet even the 70's teams got gouged on occasion. DL's Defense has flaws, then again, who doesn't? Sometimes Steeler fans give too much credit to the Steelers, especially when something is wrong with them or when they lose, the team on the other side has a gameplanning coaching staff and players too, you know. We're not going to dominate every game. It would be nice, but it won't happen. As long as we win, and find ways to win, I could care less what the stats are. Sometimes I get the feeling fans would rather lose pretty than win ugly.

Don't forget that this is still preseason. Usually Steelers' Game plans are vanilla at best. I have faith the D schemes will heat up once the season starts. There's two games left to sift out the problems.

*Remembers 2005 preseason when Ben stunk up the joint*

moedap
08-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Don't forget that this is still preseason. Usually Steelers' Game plans are vanilla at best. I have faith the D schemes will heat up once the season starts. There's two games left to sift out the problems.

I understand its pre-season and all but i remember saying the same thing the last 2 pre-seasons and with the exception of the SB run things didnt change. Just hoping they change this year b/c if the offense passes more often as stated it is going to be more important than ever that the defense gets off the field early. Such an aggressive defense is bound to make players tired towards the end of games.

fansince'76
08-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Just hoping they change this year b/c if the offense passes more often as stated it is going to be more important than ever that the defense gets off the field early.

Well, so far that hasn't happened - they ran the ball 32 times last night as opposed to 25 passes. In the previous two games, the run-to-pass ratio was 65/55. They haven't exactly become the Eagles yet.

rpkachik
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM

Something was odd about that. Ben was terrible all preseason, horrible throws, int's. But then week 2 he had a perfect game. I hope something similar is up with the D.

I suspect that we're testing some blitzes, we kept bringing Clark and failing, I expect healthy does of Townsend and Polamalu in the regular season, as well as more LB blitz packages, it seems we we're really sending the DBs last week.

OneForTheToe
08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
.... They haven't exactly become the Eagles yet. - fansince'76

Thank god ... otherwise the fans at Heinz will have to start practicing cheering player facing severe injuries and booing Santa Clause. :wink02::bouncy:

Preacher
08-20-2007, 02:46 AM
If you look back through my posts yesterday during the game...

I was ticked.

I will still be ticked if I see this starting in the reg. season.

However, just like us not going to two tight ends in the preseason at the goal line... lets hope they both step it up!