PDA

View Full Version : Redskins' fans angry, but football is brutal

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Ron Cook: Redskins' fans angry, but football is brutal
Sunday, August 19, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LANDOVER, Md. -- One day, it will happen to Ben Roethlisberger. Mark it down. Later rather than sooner, hopefully, some defensive lineman or linebacker is going to take out Big Ben's knee with a low hit in the pocket.

You'll scream bloody murder.

You know, the way they screamed bloody murder last night when Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel took out the left knee of Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell in the first quarter of the Steelers' 12-10 exhibition win at FedEx Field.

You would be wrong, just as those angry Redskins fans were wrong.

Don't forget, that's football they are playing, and it is a brutal game. Players get hurt. Sometimes, sadly, it's the stars.

That's easy to say, of course, in our little corner of the world this morning. We don't care much about Campbell or the Redskins' problems. Campbell isn't as far along in his career as Roethlisberger and doesn't have a Super Bowl ring, but he's just as much the Redskins' future as Big Ben is the Steelers'.

That's why the animosity in the big stadium toward Keisel quickly turned to worry and dismay. Campbell stayed down for a few moments, then made it to the Redskins bench with help from the medical staff. He limped into the locker room for X-rays, then came back onto the field in the second quarter with his knee wrapped in ice. Team officials announced the injury as a "bruised knee," which leaves a lot of room for interpretation as to its severity.

The moment -- one of the worst you'll see in any game -- brought back memories of the hit on Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer by Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen in the AFC playoffs after the 2005 season. There was no ambiguity about that injury. It was bad; Palmer was lucky to make it back for the start of the '06 season. It was so bad that von Oelhoffen -- dubbed "Lee Harvey von Oelhoffen" by some in Cincinnati -- cried on the field.

"I had to tell him to snap out of it," linebacker Joey Porter said that day.

Keisel had no such trouble getting his head back in the game. He made the tackle on the Redskins' next two plays after Campbell's injury, broke up a pass on the fourth and made another tackle on the fifth.

But Keisel felt badly enough that he walked the length of the field to extend his hand to Campbell as he struggled to the sideline. "I wanted to tell him myself that I hoped he wasn't hurt seriously and that I didn't try to hurt him," Keisel said. "None of us is out there trying to intentionally hurt somebody."

Campbell didn't seem so eager to accept Keisel's explanation or best wishes, but said after the game, "I don't think it was a dirty hit ... I hope it wasn't a dirty hit."

It's easy to understand if Campbell is wondering. Put yourself in his shoes. No, put Roethlisberger in those shoes and you probably would be wondering, too.

Keisel beat left tackle Stephon Heyer on the pass rush to the inside, stumbled toward the ground and righted himself enough to lunge at Campbell's left leg as he unloaded a pass to tight end Chris Cooley that went for a 29-yard gain. Keisel was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness -- you can't lunge and hit the quarterback below the waist -- and could be fined by the NFL this week.

It's funny, the Steelers have spent much of the preseason talking about Keisel being a disruptive force, lining him up in different spots in their defense and letting him create havoc, sort of the way Baltimore Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas did last season.

Certainly, this isn't what Keisel had in mind. No player likes to make the "SportsCenter" highlights with America left to decide his reputation -- dirty player or not?

"It happens," Keisel said, shrugging.

Campbell might not have been pleased with the hit, but at least the other Redskins didn't chirp at Keisel the way the Bengals verbally assaulted von Oelhoffen. Much more was at stake in that playoff game. Palmer was an MVP candidate, not an up-and-coming quarterback like Campbell. To this day, the Bengals and their fans are convinced they would have won the game and gone on to Super Bowl XL if Palmer hadn't been injured. Mental images of von Oelhoffen celebrating after the Steelers won it all still make them sick.

The Bengals eventually got over blaming von Oelhoffen, though, coming to grips with the painful truth.

It's football.

You should remember that when it's Roethlisberger clutching his knee.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07231/810693-87.stm

Stlrs4Life
08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
There is no doubt that Keisel had no intentions on hurting Campbell. Hope his kneee isn't hurt bad.

fansince'76
08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
One day, it will happen to Ben Roethlisberger. Mark it down. Later rather than sooner, hopefully, some defensive lineman or linebacker is going to take out Big Ben's knee with a low hit in the pocket.

You'll scream bloody murder.

Um, it's already happened - Luis Castillo, anybody? And no, I didn't scream bloody murder over it - I always maintained that was an accident and so was Keisel's hit on Campbell last night. It's football, not hopscotch.

jjpro11
08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Um, it's already happened - Luis Castillo, anybody? And no, I didn't scream bloody murder over it - I always maintained that was an accident and so was Keisel's hit on Campbell last night. It's football, not hopscotch.

it actually looked worse than campbells hit because ben hyper extended his knee, and that is not a pretty sight. i didnt freak out and call for castillos head. sure i was worried and a bit upset, but i remember the people i talked to also didnt flip shit at castillo.

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
way to go Ron-

hopefully, some defensive lineman or linebacker is going to take out Big Ben's knee with a low hit in the pocket.

:chuckle: (taking things out of context is fun.)

It's football.

You should remember that when it's Roethlisberger clutching his knee.seriously Ronstrodomus, get over it.

stillers4me
08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah.....like any team would resort to dirty hits to win a preseason game. I hope he recovers quickly.

And I didn't know Kimo cried. I could tell he was really upset.........something the Bengal fans seemed to miss. I understand them being upset.......I'd be upset if it happened to Ben. Fortunately, Ben's injury was less severe and he recovered quickly....and hey, that season season ended rather well.

But I do believe the statute of limitations on whining about Palmer is over. I'm really tired of it being brought up all the time........constantly.

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 11:13 AM
There is no doubt that Keisel had no intentions on hurting Campbell. Hope his kneee isn't hurt bad.

I agree. Keisel lost his footing/balance. The guy did not have the choice/chance of pulling up. Classy move on Keisel's part afterwards.

but at least the other Redskins didn't chirp at Keisel the way the Bengals verbally assaulted von Oelhoffen.

:flap:

Crushzilla
08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised we haven't gotten any crap from Bengal fans, yet...

Then again it is only 12:30. They all just got out of the pokey a half hour ago.

I actually forgot about the Castillo thing, I guess that proves how dirty I thought it was.

I may have made a comment about steroids or something at the time... Wasn't he busted out of college or something?

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
I actually forgot about the Castillo thing,

Yeah, I recall a good bit of bitching and moaning after that hit in general and yes, he used steroids during the combine. Help heal elbow injury.

Crushzilla
08-19-2007, 11:39 AM
and yes, he used steroids during the combine. Help heal elbow injury.

In that case...

Freaking 'roided up monster.... freaking frankenstein over here couldn't keep his balance because his head is so freaking big from all the steroids... he's like a weebel wooble... just flying into Ben's golden rod (leg)...

Ben better be okay, or I am going to write a VERY nasty letter to someone.

There.

Prognostication fulfilled. Done and done. Everyone's even. Cook can have this one.

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 11:43 AM
he's like a weebel wooble... just flying into Ben's golden rod (leg)....

LOL, the complaints went something like that.

The Duke
08-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey, as long as Campbell is alright. But how can Cook forget about Luis Castillo, that's a reason we lost some games in 2005

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 12:18 PM
he's like a weebel wooble... just flying into Ben's golden rod ...
yeah, baby.

"hes got the golden touch,
but he touched it too much.
he's goldmember...
HES GOLDMEMBER....!"

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Ever get the feeling if someone tells Cook it is raining outside that his response is there is going to be a catastrophic flood someday?

Cook has been around too long and his columns usually now consist of predicting future disasters (Parker is going to get hurt if he plays in preseason/Ben will get hurt someday so don't boo when it happens) rather than any reporting/insights as to what is going on.

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Ever get the feeling if someone tells Cook it is raining outside that his response is there is going to be a catastrophic flood someday?

Cook has been around too long and his columns usually now consist of predicting future disasters (Parker is going to get hurt if he plays in preseason/Ben will get hurt someday so don't boo when it happens) rather than any reporting/insights as to what is going on.
i usually enjoy all steelers articles. whether they are positive or negative, atleast they are being talked about.

what i dont like is some writer constantly rubbing my nose in a hypothetical scenario, that may not even happen.

guaranteeing ben is going to blow out his knee, and hoping it is after he signs his big contract as opposed to before is about as shoddy a job as i can think of.

i'll be lining my bird cage with this article.

stillers4me
08-19-2007, 01:07 PM
'Skins Campbell OK after leaving hurt
Associated Press, Updated 12 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) - Jason Campbell limped down the hallway outside the Washington Redskins' locker room, favoring his bruised left knee and feeling a bit lucky. Inside, Marcus Washington wore a blue sling on his dislocated right elbow and tried to keep smiling. Out of sight was Mike Espy, out for the season with a ruptured kneecap.

As is often the case, injuries overshadowed results in an exhibition game. The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Redskins 12-10 in a game that included five field goals, one touchdown, and three scary moments.
Campbell was hit flush on the knee in the first quarter by Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, who was assessed with a personal foul for a low hit on a quarterback in the pocket. Campbell grabbed his knee in pain and remained on the field for a couple of minutes before gingerly limping to the sideline. X-rays revealed only a bruise — and no serious ligament damage that could ruin his season.

"The scary thing about it, when he hit me, it just felt awkward," Campbell said. "It felt weak, but after they started stretching and pulling on it a little bit, the strength got back into it. Right now it's just stiff and sore, so I expect a full recovery soon."

Campbell isn't sure how soon, but he should recover in time for the regular season. Washington was hoping the same thing as he kept usual sunny disposition while talking about his elbow, which popped out of place when it got caught between two helmets during a tackle.

"They're thinking a couple of weeks," said Washington, one of the defense's emotional leaders. "They'll be some setbacks every now and then. I'm glad I didn't hurt anything, like, major."

Espy, the favorite to make the roster as the No. 5 receiver, had his knee give out while running a pass route in the third quarter. He has a ruptured patella tendon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7135286

Elvis
08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I know these things keep happening to our defensive players, but I dont really think that there is any of them on purpose. I know that there is probably alot of things that do happen on purpose that we dont see, but I honestly hope that this was not on purpose..

stillers4me
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
#1....it's a preseason game. Why would anyone purposely "take out" another player?

#2....even if it was on purpose, what's the point?? The 'Skins aren't even in our division (see above)

CantStop85
08-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Not quite as monumental as Kimo's hit on Palmer, but just as accidental.

stillers4me
08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Not quite as monumental as Kimo's hit on Palmer, but just as accidental.

Thanks, CS85. I knew there had to be 1 or 2 leveled headed Bengal fans out there. :cheers:

ChronoCross
08-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Cambell goes down and now Got people on the eagles board saying if Palmer would not of went down they would of won. But like I told them, we beat the bengals with palmer and without palmer does not matter. People just cannot let things go. People of other teams just say it was a dirty hit they do not pay attention to the actual play. They did not watch the Offensive linemen of the Bengals who pushed Kimo in the back. But the Bengals knock out Green from KC but even I saw the KC player knock the Bengals player into Green. I at least watch and keep a open mind.

Eagles fans are worried and sounding out not to play #5 against the dirty Steelers and they were so happy when Reid did not play #5 against the Dirty Ravens.

Eagles fans are very worried that we will take out there QB for the season. I told them to put flags on there players and play flag football.

Jman
08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I was watching the game today on NFL Network. The Redskin announcers are a joke. Not only do they talk ONLY about the Redskins (while Steelers announcers had balance), but they kept on and on about how Keisel needs to do a better job. During the replay, it's clear he stumbled, yet they had the "he came in low the whole time" speech. Are we watching the same game? Cry me a river!

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Eagles fans are very worried that we will take out there QB for the season. I told them to put flags on there players and play flag football.eaglefans surrendering huh? better give these to philly's equipment managers:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/frenchflag.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheeseflag.jpg

ChronoCross
08-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I was watching the game today on NFL Network. The Redskin announcers are a joke. Not only do they talk ONLY about the Redskins (while Steelers announcers had balance), but they kept on and on about how Keisel needs to do a better job. During the replay, it's clear he stumbled, yet they had the "he came in low the whole time" speech. Are we watching the same game? Cry me a river!

Ya the announcers are a joke, getting names wrong, saying the wrong team. Its by far the worst over the past few weeks I have seen to.

People cry dirty hit but then do not actually watch the play and keep a open mind to it.

fansince'76
08-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Eagles fans are worried and sounding out not to play #5 against the dirty Steelers and they were so happy when Reid did not play #5 against the Dirty Ravens.

The same bunch that cheered when Michael Irvin sustained the career-ending neck injury? Yeah, I give a shit what they think. :rolleyes:

Jman
08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Ya the announcers are a joke, getting names wrong, saying the wrong team. Its by far the worst over the past few weeks I have seen to.

Don't even get me started. Is it really that hard to say Verron Haynes? Why do they pronounce it like it's Vearo Hayes? :banging:

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
The same bunch that cheered when Michael Irvin sustained the career-ending neck injury? Yeah, I give a shit what they think. :rolleyes:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/ono_whap.gif

Don't even get me started. Is it really that hard to say Verron Haynes? Why do they pronounce it like it's Vearo Hayes?

they even called al saunders- al sanders.

HometownGal
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey, as long as Campbell is alright. But how can Cook forget about Luis Castillo, that's a reason we lost some games in 2005

It's called "selective memory". It seems to be an epidemic with the media. I'm not a huge fan of Cook - he's always creeping around somewhere looking for something he can put a negative spin on, no matter how positive it appears on the surface. I can just see him in his adolescent years as a fat little turd sitting on his front porch sucking down a bag of chips and crying because no one wanted to play with him. :sofunny:

In all seriousness, though, I am relieved to hear that Campbell's injury isn't serious. I never like to see any player injured, no matter what team they play for.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 05:34 PM
It's called "selective memory". It seems to be an epidemic with the media. I'm not a huge fan of Cook - he's always creeping around somewhere looking for something he can put a negative spin on, no matter how positive it appears on the surface. I can just see him in his adolescent years as a fat little turd sitting on his front porch sucking down a bag of chips and crying because no one wanted to play with him. :sofunny:

In all seriousness, though, I am relieved to hear that Campbell's injury isn't serious. I never like to see any player injured, no matter what team they play for.

Especially in preseason - soaking the season ticketholders for 2 home exhibition games is in the budget, but preseason should be limited to 2 games. The starters only play serious time in the second and third of the 4 games and you can cull the rest of the squad out through practice.

TackleMeBen
08-19-2007, 06:44 PM
eaglefans surrendering huh? better give these to philly's equipment managers:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/frenchflag.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheeseflag.jpg

tony, you just had to put the cheese in didnt ya????? :sofunny::sofunny:

Moonlite37
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I once played some football when I was younger. I dont remember much about the games, but I sure can feel the forgotten pains of yesterday, today. For those of you who have never played sports. Just remember the last time you fell or slip on some ice. You may forget where you fell, but one day you sure will be reminded by the pain. No professional player really wants to see a another player seriously hurt.

NV STEELERS 723
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Cook is an idiot

skinart82
08-19-2007, 10:07 PM
You wanna talk about a dirty hit that nobody said a word about was when Ben got the concusion hit in Atlanta last year. That WAS a dirty hit!

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Keisel didn't intend to injury Redskins QB
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 20, 2007

Defensive end Brett Keisel said he in no way was trying to knock Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell out of Saturday's exhibition game.

And he told Campbell as much after Keisel crashed into Campbell's lower leg while trying to make a sack.

Campbell immediately grabbed his bruised left knee after Keisel hit him, and he left the game.

"The second that I saw his training staff was out there, I ran back down and told him to his face that I deliberately didn't try and do anything and hope he gets better," Keisel said.

Keisel lost his footing right before he got to Campbell and said that's what caused him to hit the second-year quarterback in the lower leg.
He got penalized 15 yards for roughing the passer.

Better showing

Mike Tomlin hardly called receiver Nate Washington's performance Saturday night a redeeming one.

The Steelers coach said Washington did what he told the third-year wide receiver to do: forget about the two dropped passes he had in the Hall of Fame Game on Aug. 5.

"I don't consider it a rebound," Tomlin said after Washington caught three passes for 44 yards in the Steelers' 12-10 win over the Redskins. "I just consider what happened in the Hall of Fame Game a fluke."

Washington hauled in a 33-yard pass from quarterback Charlie Batch that set up a short Jeff Reed field goal early in the fourth quarter.

He's caught five passes for 61 yards in the past two games.

Special effort

Tomlin couldn't heap enough praise on his special teams unit Saturday night, saying rookie Daniel Sepulveda's punting and the coverage on his kicks kept the Steelers in the game early.

Sepulveda averaged 50 yards on four punts, and he had a net average of 48.5 yards.

The Steelers didn't have any problems kicking field goals, either, as Jeff Reed and Connor Hughes each kicked a pair.

In the Steelers' second preseason game, Reed had an extra point blocked.

"I think the big thing I like about this football team is when we identify a problem, we make them disappear," Tomlin said. "Field-goal protection showed up in a big way; special teams showed up in a big way."

Chance to shine

Running back Verron Haynes saw extended action Saturday night, and that was by design.

Since Haynes is coming off reconstructive knee surgery, Tomlin said the team had targeted the Steelers' third exhibition game as a chance to take a good look at the veteran.

Haynes led the Steelers in rushing with 30 yards on seven carries. He also caught two passes for 15 yards.

"We knew this would be the game to show where he is, and he answered the call a little bit," Tomlin said.

This and that

Running back Willie Parker only had 4 yards on four carries against the Redskins, but the Pro Bowler said it was just good to get back on the field again. "I had to get my body acclimated to a hit," said Parker, who missed the first two preseason games because of inflammation in his left knee. "Once I got that first hit, I was ready to go." ... The Steelers, who were off Sunday, resume practice this afternoon at their South Side facility.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_523033.html

fansince'76
08-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Cook is an idiot

Concise and right on the money! :cheers:

Preacher
08-20-2007, 01:52 AM

Thank you... and yep.. I remember.

The Duke
08-20-2007, 10:39 PM
He didn't leave FedEx Stadium with an armed escort or wearing an elaborate disguise.

Brett Keisel did become decidedly less popular in Washington than Beltway traffic after he knocked Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell out of last Saturday night's game with a bruised knee.

That play, of which Keisel said Monday was legal even though he got penalized for roughing the passer, blew the defensive end's cover.

Keisel had hovered below the radar to some degree before that hit on Campbell.

For all of the talk during the offseason about how the Steelers would move Keisel around to take advantage of his unique blend of size and athleticism, he has stayed mostly at right defensive end during the team's first three preseason games.

Of course, as Keisel pointed out late last week, it is only August.

That means the Steelers' regular-season opponents, and particularly their division foes, haven't seen anything yet.

"The defense we run in the preseason is pretty vanilla," Keisel said, adding that the Steelers hold back 80 percent of what they plan to do on defense during the preseason. "We try to save our secrets for when it really counts."

It is no secret that the Steelers want to use Keisel in a similar way that the Ravens employed Adalius Thomas last season.

Thomas was technically a linebacker, but he lined up everywhere from the defensive line to the secondary. His versatility helped make the Ravens one of the top defenses in the NFL in 2006, and it made Thomas one of the more coveted free agents after the season (he signed with the Patriots).

Keisel made a smooth transition from special teams player and reserve to starter in 2006, and he and the Steelers are eager for him to do even more this season.

The 6-foot-5, 285-pounder said he is as comfortable dropping back into coverage as he is rushing the quarterback because of his background in basketball and from playing middle linebacker in high school.

Aaron Smith, who starts opposite Keisel on the defensive line, said the Brigham Young product is "hands down" the best athlete on the team.

"You get a big guy that's as athletic as he is, it's rare," said Smith, adding that Keisel looks fluid and natural when he drops back into coverage. "That's where you can really tell the difference with the big guys; they get in a little space and they look uncomfortable. He looks like a linebacker when we're out there."

Keisel appeared to have a linebacker mentality when he lunged at Campbell while trying to sack him in the Steelers' 12-10 win over the Redskins.

Keisel, who didn't practice Monday because of a minor groin problem, said he watched the film of the hit and that it showed it wasn't a dirty play.

When asked if he thinks he'll get fined for it, Keisel said, "I don't expect to, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did."

It shouldn't come as any surprise where Keisel lines up this season, especially since he has embraced the role of playing all over the field.

"I want to be a great player in this league," said Keisel, who turns 29 next month. "I honestly feel like my career defensively is just starting, and I'm excited about that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_523204.html

The Duke
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
"The defense we run in the preseason is pretty vanilla," Keisel said, adding that the Steelers hold back 80 percent of what they plan to do on defense during the preseason. "We try to save our secrets for when it really counts."

I knew it, they were holding back :tt02: Beware NFL, Keisel, Troy, Anthony Smith and the whole black and gold D is coming for ya

Crushzilla
08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I tell you what...

If Keisel gets fine for this one than the league has finally lost its damn mind...

In addition to the soon to be seen flag football QB rule already mentioned at length (I hear Goodell reads these boards and the suggestion certainly "aroused" his interest), we are also going to see a new rule for defenders.

If you are down, without or without contact, than you are ineligible to participate in the rest of the play.

So if defensive lineman's knee or rear touches the ground they are down by contact and must get out of the way of the play in progress by raising their hand and running toward the sideline... like in dodgeball...

Actually. Let's start playing dodgeball...

This raised Kiesel's stock alright, for all the dumb reasons. Also doesn't help when no one in the popular media... yes you ESPN... has the balls to say ENOUGH!

On Sportscenter the next day that was the big clip of the game, with some sort of spin on it that I don't even remember.

Granted, the Redskins Super Star QB (right, Theismann? :jerkit:) went down, but I'm sick of it...

Initially, I was worried about Campbell, you hate to see anyone get hurt, especially in the preseason, but once he walked off the field, I couldn't help but think... here we go again...

Let the Steelers hate parade continue. The entire town of Brisco following behind the Steelers' bus... "Crash!" "Crash!"