PDA

View Full Version : Tomlins Sideline Demeanor

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 05:00 PM
did anyone see tomlin with his arms folded last night on washingtons final attempt for the win? :jawdrop: i thought i was watching cowher! that lack of emotion will get us nowhere. seriously, he was sweating it after getting stuffed on the goal line when he had to decide to go for it or not on 4th and inches. and when brunell threw that long pass to get the redskins in scoring range, he was practically curled up in fetal position with his blankie, sucking his thumb as he let lebeau call the shots.

we're done!

discuss....

:toofunny:
(the preceding diatribe was brought to you by "Its Only a Matter of Time")

Jman
08-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I wasn't concerned. He isn't Cowher. I don't have much else to say.

fansince'76
08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
:stirthepot: :toofunny:

klick81
08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I couldn't watch the game :( Stupid Raiders/9ers game.

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 05:12 PM
did anyone see tomlin with his arms folded last night on washingtons final attempt for the win? :jawdrop: i thought i was watching cowher! that lack of emotion will get us nowhere. seriously, he was sweating it after getting stuffed on the goal line when he had to decide to go for it or not on 4th and inches. and when brunell threw that long pass to get the redskins in scoring range, he was practically curled up in fetal position with his blankie, sucking his thumb as he let lebeau call the shots.

we're done!

discuss....

(the preceding diatribe was brought to you by "Its Only a Matter of Time")

Fire Tomlin and replace him with Steely McBeam. Pirate Parrot replaces Arians and Captain Jolly Roger replaces LeBeau.

On that note, I thought Tomlin should have gone for the six at the end. Preseason game, what the hell? I figured after getting stuffed time after time, it might have been a bit more of a mental victory. Oh well.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Between the failed experiment of Starks as backup LT and the emotional paralysis you describe at the end of last night's game it is clear that the culture of failure that has been created during the Tomlin era can no longer be tolerated.

Time for me to find out if anyone has claimed the website address firemiketomlinnow.com

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-19-2007, 05:14 PM
did anyone see tomlin with his arms folded last night on washingtons final attempt for the win? i thought i was watching cowher! that lack of emotion will get us nowhere.

He's the complete opposite of what Cowher was. Different coach, different coaching style, no spitting and I doubt very seriously your going to see Tomlin stick any photos in a referee's pocket anytime soon.

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 05:17 PM
He's the complete opposite of what Cowher was. Different coach, different coaching style, no spitting and I doubt very seriously your going to see Tomlin stick any photos in a referee's pocket anytime soon.

I'll wait until a ref blows a bad call before I make that assumption. We have not seen his temper yet. I have a feeling the guy can blow up (when he has to) with the best of them. I'm anxious for that day just for curiousity sake.

On that note, how about Bob Ligashesky? Isn't that guy a ball of fire? He better watch he doesn't have a heart attack on the sideline this season. He was also like that up at Latrobe.

MACH1
08-19-2007, 05:20 PM
May as well had a cardboard cut out standing there. :chuckle:

He'll be fine.

Big D
08-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Just a reminder it is the preseason. This is a rookie head coach. We all knew when he was hired he wasnt going to be all full of piss and vinegar. I havent heard one bad thing about the guy in the press. The minute I do I will then worry.

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
He's the complete opposite of what Cowher was. i forget which player it was who when he was asked whats the biggest difference between tomlin and cowher, responded "hes black".

:sofunny:- i thought the response was priceless.

like atl dan said, im curious how many www.firetomlin.com domain names will be for sale on e-bay.

stillers4me
08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/tomlinscowl.jpg

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I'll wait until a ref blows a bad call before I make that assumption. We have not seen his temper yet. I have a feeling the guy can blow up (when he has to) with the best of them. I'm anxious for that day just for curiousity sake.

On that note, how about Bob Ligashesky? Isn't that guy a ball of fire? He better watch he doesn't have a heart attack on the sideline this season. He was also like that up at Latrobe.i wasnt sure if the ST coach they kept showing was him or the assistant. the younger guy with the backwards visor that looked kinda like a younger jim hasslett?

i liked what i saw.

Big D
08-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I guess I would rather have a guy like mike tomlin who is liked and respected the a coach like Tom coughlin whos players quit on him and give him a lack of respect

83-Steelers-43
08-19-2007, 05:31 PM
i wasnt sure if the ST coach they kept showing was him or the assistant. the younger guy with the backwards visor that looked kinda like a younger jim hasslett?

i liked what i saw.

Jones is the assistant ST's coach. Older looking guy. Ligashesky is the firecracker and ST's coach they kept showing last night, chomping on his gum as if it were a Ruth Chris steak...lol.

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I guess I would rather have a guy like mike tomlin who is liked and respected the a coach like Tom coughlin whos players quit on him and give him a lack of respectBig D, nobodys dogging mike. but like you said, many are probably waiting for the media to give the green light before they start to pile on. that can be as soon as next weekend.

like dan pointed out in another thread, this has been a long honeymoon and in this culture marriages are automatically expected to fail before they will last (figuratively and literally).

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Jones is the assistant ST's coach. Older looking guy. Ligashesky is the firecracker and ST's coach they kept showing last night, chomping on his gum as if it were a Ruth Chris steak...lol.
speaking of steelers special teams coaches, did you see kevin spencers unit give up a td return to houston rookie jacoby jones yesterday?

while i am super high on jacoby, i just thought i would throw that in there.

see ya spence....

anyone wanna bet tomlin has the team practice on openning some lanes for willie reid this week? damn, i miss two-a-days already :chuckle:

Big D
08-19-2007, 05:44 PM
What's unfortuante is tomlin is under a far bigger microscope then most rookie head coaches. The steelers head coaching job has more job security then being the pope. And we as steeler fans have been spoiled by our teams success. I just dont think the tomlin is going to get a fair chance here because of the success of cowher and noll. I think if the team isnt in super bowl contention in the next two to three years he will get fired

MasterOfPuppets
08-19-2007, 05:52 PM

On that note, I thought Tomlin should have gone for the six at the end. Preseason game, what the hell? I figured after getting stuffed time after time, it might have been a bit more of a mental victory. Oh well.yeah i was saying the same thing! whats the freakin point of a chip shot fg in preseason? to me 4th and 1 is gut check time for the o-line, and i think it would've shown alot more about the play calling, and the guys in the trenches. but its good to know the fg kicker can make an 18 yd fg.....:screwy:

HometownGal
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
You stirrin' the poo there Sir hipchest? :wink02:

While I actually like seeing Tomlin so cool, calm and collected on the sidelines, this is preseason and as 83 said above, I will bet you dollars to donuts that Tomlin has a fiery side to him that we haven't seen just yet. I can almost guarantee that at some point this season, Mrs. Tomlin will be bleaching her husband's Fruit of the Looms.

Edman
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't think Tomlin has ever experienced heated regular season occasions that set him off yet. It's preseason.

Besides, he's not Cowher. And he's not supposed to be. I want him to be Mike Tomlin.

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 06:07 PM
yeah i was saying the same thing! whats the freakin point of a chip shot fg in preseason? to me 4th and 1 is gut check time for the o-line, and i think it would've shown alot more about the play calling, and the guys in the trenches. but its good to know the fg kicker can make an 18 yd fg.....:screwy:actually, when they review the film in practice next week, the coaching staff will see that gary russell punched it in on 2nd effort on 3rd down. this is the 2nd goal line call the refs have blown in the pre season and neither was nearly as close as bens rushing td in the superbowl.

tomlin went for the lead and put the game in the hands of his defense with 1:30 to go. seeing how they will respond in a preseason game is just as important as seeing how the goalline offense will respond.

tomlins call was a no brainer in an actual game (pre season or not). if he wants to see what 3rd string offense can do, thats what practice and scout teams are for is for. while players are on trial to make the cut, the new coach is on trial to show he can properly manage a game. (if they were down by 4 i woulda expected russell to punch it in on 4th and inches)

game situations will dictate the calls he makes.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 06:20 PM
What's unfortuante is tomlin is under a far bigger microscope then most rookie head coaches. The steelers head coaching job has more job security then being the pope. And we as steeler fans have been spoiled by our teams success. I just dont think the tomlin is going to get a fair chance here because of the success of cowher and noll. I think if the team isnt in super bowl contention in the next two to three years he will get fired

With the exception of Belichick and Dungy (and maybe Shanahan) there is not a HC out there who is not likely to be facing termination if his team is not in SB contention in the next 2 or 3 years.

Big D
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
With the exception of Belichick and Dungy (and maybe Shanahan) there is not a HC out there who is not likely to be facing termination if his team is not in SB contention in the next 2 or 3 years.

very true. But who do you think will given more of a chance lane kiffin or Tomlin. I think their is far more pressue with the steeler head coach position then any other position in the nfl

yinzer-inseattle
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I will bet you dollars to donuts that Tomlin has a fiery side to him that we haven't seen just yet.

Speaking of which what's the Vegas line on the number of days before we get "The Ravens are who we thought they were" speech from Mike Tomlin......:sofunny:

For those of you who want more fire, watch this
Be careful what you ask for.....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sidgxPzG1Z8

And remember with all of Cowher's fire we still lost some games (a few more important than yesterday's). In the end, it's up to the players.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2007, 06:43 PM
very true. But who do you think will given more of a chance lane kiffin or Tomlin. I think their is far more pressue with the steeler head coach position then any other position in the nfl

Are you kidding - Kiffin could be fired after this season - Dallas/Washington/Oakland are the three HC jobs with the shortest life expectancies - Davis & Jones want to be their own HCs and Snyder's answer to everything is to buy out the HC's contract and throw money at someone else (such as Bill Cowher in 2008). 2 coaches in 38 years indicates the Rooneys have a little more patience than that.

The Duke
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/8b/fullj.getty-76082187gf012_pitt_wash.jpg

Like this?

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 07:06 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/8b/fullj.getty-76082187gf012_pitt_wash.jpg

Like this?lol. exactly. almost looks like he has carolina on his mind :sofunny:

to follow up on Big D's question, its a good thing the rooneys do the hiring and firing in pittsburgh as opposed to the fans and media. how much of a chance were art shell or jon gruden given to win a sb. compare that to the opportunities noll and cowher were given.

unless tomlin finishes the next 2 seasons below 6-10, his job security is about as sure as it gets. and that simply is not going to happen. since t. bradshaw was drafted the steelers just dont lose that bad.

ricksteelers55
08-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow....I'm shocked !!! The guy hasn't even coach 1 single regular season game and there's already stupid comments like that.

I just can't believe you call yourself a Steelers fan

If the Rooneys put him in charge instead of you there's a reason

Come On let's be positive for god's sake

MACH1
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
lol. exactly. almost looks like he has carolina on his mind :sofunny:

At least his eye's are focused on the field and he doesn't have that dazed and confused look on his face. :sofunny:

stillers4me
08-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Wow....I'm shocked !!! The guy hasn't even coach 1 single regular season game and there's already stupid comments like that.

Come On let's be positive for god's sake

Satire (from Latin satura, not from the greek mythological figure satyr[1]) is a literary genre, chiefly literary and dramatic, in which human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, or other methods, sometimes with an intent to bring about improvement.[2] It is used in graphic arts and performing arts as well. Although satire is usually witty, and often very funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour but criticism of an event, an individual or a group in a clever manner.

Misconception of satire
Because satire often combines anger and humour it can be profoundly disturbing - because it is essentially ironic or sarcastic, it is often misunderstood.

Common uncomprehending responses to satire include revulsion (accusations of poor taste, or that it's "just not funny" for instance), to the idea that the satirist actually does support the ideas, policies, or people he is attacking.

NV STEELERS 723
08-19-2007, 08:55 PM
You stirrin' the poo there Sir hipchest? :wink02:

While I actually like seeing Tomlin so cool, calm and collected on the sidelines, this is preseason and as 83 said above, I will bet you dollars to donuts that Tomlin has a fiery side to him that we haven't seen just yet. I can almost guarantee that at some point this season, Mrs. Tomlin will be bleaching her husband's Fruit of the Looms.

I agree HTG........pre-season is so boring...The STEELERS do not show anyone anything...and for Tomlin...it only counts the first game vs the Stains...I don't care if Tomlin is drinking a Corona on the sideline during pre-season...

Livinginthe past
08-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Is it a bird..is it a plane?

Nope.

Its Tony's use of irony that just flew over poor Ricks head.

NV STEELERS 723
08-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Is it a bird..is it a plane?

Nope.

Its Tony's use of irony that just flew over poor Ricks head.

WTF???? Nigel what is w/ the 49ers logo????

Livinginthe past
08-19-2007, 09:14 PM
WTF???? Nigel what is w/ the 49ers logo????

Everyone needs a second team :wink02:

Shoes
08-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher were also very different...I think you'll find Tomlin somwhere between the two ...I think the Rooneys know that too!

tony hipchest
08-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Come On let's be positive for god's sakehaha. chill out dude. i can understand one not knowing the connotation of all the smileys, but if you read the whole thread, i have clearly pointed out thet NOBODY is slamming tomlin in this thread.

not yet anyways. the season is still young if not yet begun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher were also very different...I think you'll find Tomlin somwhere between the two ...I think the Rooneys know that too!tomlin is closer to the noll side of the spectrum.

Steel Pit
08-20-2007, 02:17 AM
I can't believe that Tomlin is being criticized because he's not on the sideline acting like Bill Cowher or some of the other idiots such as John Gruden. This is nonsense. I don't want another HC with the sideline demeanor of Cowher. If that's the case then it may take Tomlin 15 years or so to win a dang Super Bowl.

Exactly how does the emotions of a Head Coach pour onto the playing Field to somehow change the course of the game? If that were the case then we all should have jumped Cowher's A$$ for his lack of sideline antics during the 4 AFC Championship losses. Man, if Cowher would have shown a little more emotion we would have won those games. PLEASE!

These are pre-season games and boring games to boot. How fired up have you all been while watching these games?

Take a look at these former and current Head Coaches and learn from their sideline demeanor. Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy. Hey there's 9 Super Bowl Championships won with this small group of "Very composed Head Coaches".

Preacher
08-20-2007, 02:27 AM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofu nny::sofunny:

Um...

sarcasm people. Sarcasm.

Indy_Steelers
08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I wasn't concerned. He isn't Cowher. I don't have much else to say.

:stirthepot: :toofunny:

I have to agree with both of these :cheers::thumbsup:

revefsreleets
08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Let me be the first, then. 2-1 in preseason is just UNACCEPTABLE.

FIRE TOMLIN!!!!

(For those who can't recognize, I'm joking!)

Steelersfan4life0655
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
well i wont say too much about tomlins demeanor on the sideline. cuz tomlins protege is dungy and dungy isnt the most ball of fire on the sideline. hell even lovie smith is like that. so i wont say too much about this.

Godfather
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM
This reminds me a little of the situation at LSU. $aban was known for chewing out his players and showing a great deal of emotion (but only when they messed up--he didn't match that with animated positive reinforcement like Cowher).

Les Miles isn't outwardly expressive, and a lot of fans mistook his quiet demeanor for a lack of intensity.

Either way works, as long as you be yourself. Cowher had a bad season being detached not because it was bad, but because it wasn't Cowher. As mentioned above, Dungy isn't outwardly emotional and he's done just fine.

stillers4me
08-20-2007, 08:49 PM
:crazy01:...it was joke, people.................

moedap
08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I had to read the comment about Tomlin not being Cowher a few times before I understood the point. A very good point it was.

I think "head" coaches who keep emotions hidden stand a better chance to be successful. Pro teams have tons of coaches probably capable of providing the "rah-rah" that visually and verbally expressed emotions give players. In my personal experience with head coaches(youth, high school, college) those that were reserved emotionally seem to have us discplined the most. The one thing all the teams had in common was an assistant coach that provided the "rah-rah". I hope Tomlin has his "rah-rah" coach.

Has anyone ever seen DL's demeanor during the games? I have only been to games in Bmore and couldnt see the sidelines. What is his style?

RoethlisBURGHer
08-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think Tomlin has ever experienced heated regular season occasions that set him off yet. It's preseason.

Besides, he's not Cowher. And he's not supposed to be. I want him to be Mike Tomlin.

I agree.

It was a meaningless preseason game, not the game that clinches the division or HFA.

I am sure we will see him fired up this season. I am sure we'll see him fired up on the 9th as we kick some Brownie ass.

delhess
08-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Between the failed experiment of Starks as backup LT and the emotional paralysis you describe at the end of last night's game it is clear that the culture of failure that has been created during the Tomlin era can no longer be tolerated.

Time for me to find out if anyone has claimed the website address firemiketomlinnow.com

LMAO:dang::sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, for those of us that know tony, realized it was sacrasim from the start. I laughed when I first read it.

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2007, 07:13 PM
tony is sooooooo cheesy....:sofunny:

http://http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7104/cheetosmascotcq3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

it ain't easy bein cheesy...

steelcity58
08-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Cowher was a very emotional caoch. The reason he looked "calm" in win or lose situations, is because he's also smart enough
to realize that the moment you can win or lose a ball game is what playing is all about.

It's the pinnacle of emotions in the NFL...any sport.

Why do you guys rag on Cowher?

Cowher and Noll were a lot alike and won 5 SB titles.

This Tomlin guy has done Jack and shit, and Jack just flew the flying F*** outta here.

I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach at all, not saying he's a good one. In 3-4 years we will
know....maybe sooner.

Big D
08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I think people will dog on tomlin because everyone would rather cowher on the sidelines. We as steeler fans are so scared of change. I'm actually glad to see cowher gone. I think people forget to remeber cowhers home losses in the afc championship games.

tony hipchest
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I think people will dog on tomlin because everyone would rather cowher on the sidelines. We as steeler fans are so scared of change. I'm actually glad to see cowher gone. I think people forget to remeber cowhers home losses in the afc championship games.yep. the actual losses have passed me by.

all i really remember is folded arms, a dry lip and chin, and a blank stare at the scoreboard with a slight scowl and the jaw barely protruding....

*sniff sniff*

"you can smell it..."

-E. Murphy in Delirious

steelcity58
08-22-2007, 03:12 AM
yep. the actual losses have passed me by.

all i really remember is folded arms, a dry lip and chin, and a blank stare at the scoreboard with a slight scowl and the jaw barely protruding....

*sniff sniff*

"you can smell it..."

-E. Murphy in Delirious
Cowher took us to two SB's...one with a QB and team, 05, and one with O'Donnell and two linebackers, Greene and LLoyd, and "Bam Morris"...

Who?

Counselor
08-22-2007, 10:04 AM

I disagree. Tomlin will get the time and the tools he needs to succeed. The Rooneys are better decision makers, more patient, and senible. Assuming for the sake of arguements that Tomlin and Kiffin are exactly equal in their coaching abilities (which I don't believe) Tomlin has a better chance of success than Kiffin because of the organization. The pressure is on no matter what, but to know you'll be given a fair shake takes a little bit of pressure away. As for the fans---the raiders fans can be pretty bad too.

fansince'76
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Cowher took us to two SB's...one with a QB and team, 05, and one with O'Donnell and two linebackers, Greene and LLoyd, and "Bam Morris"...

Who?

Are you kidding? Our D in '94-'95 was far better than any D we've fielded since the '70s. Or have you forgotten about Woodson and Lake? I will agree, however, that our O at the time was fairly nondescript, to put it kindly.

yinzer-inseattle
08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Cowher and Noll were a lot alike and won 5 SB titles.

Cowher and Noll were at opposite ends of the emotional spectrum. Cowher needed to relate to his players as one of the guys. At times you almost thought Cowher would get out there on the field and play with them. Those Cowher teams fed off that and he was effective at motivating them because of it.

Noll couldn't have removed himself more from his players if he tried. He was very distant and almost never related to them in a personal way. He may have come across as cold and uncaring, but no one can deny his effectiveness. I'd put Walsh in that same range of the emotional spectrum as well. Anyone counting............. 7 SB titles there.

As for Tomlin, he is who he is. Not Cowher or Noll, just a quietly intense guy with a passion for football. He tries to relate to his players as men, men playing a mean tough game. At the same time I think he cares for them as human beings, allowing them time to take care of themselves and their families. Because of all that he's quickly developed a solid retlationship with the players. I have no doubt that they will respond to whatever he asks and not spend a second questioning him. In all the choas of managing an NFL game you need people to focus, listen and respond immediately. Based on the results of two of the best NFL coaches, I'm not so sure yelling needs to be a major part of that.

HometownGal
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Cowher and Noll were at opposite ends of the emotional spectrum. Cowher needed to relate to his players as one of the guys. At times you almost thought Cowher would get out there on the field and play with them. Those Cowher teams fed off that and he was effective at motivating them because of it.

Noll couldn't have removed himself more from his players if he tried. He was very distant and almost never related to them in a personal way. He may have come across as cold and uncaring, but no one can deny his effectiveness. I'd put Walsh in that same range of the emotional spectrum as well. Anyone counting............. 7 SB titles there.

As for Tomlin, he is who he is. Not Cowher or Noll, just a quietly intense guy with a passion for football. He tries to relate to his players as men, men playing a mean tough game. At the same time I think he cares for them as human beings, allowing them time to take care of themselves and their families. Because of all that he's quickly developed a solid retlationship with the players. I have no doubt that they will respond to whatever he asks and not spend a second questioning him. In all the choas of managing an NFL game you need people to focus, listen and respond immediately. Based on the results of two of the best NFL coaches, I'm not so sure yelling needs to be a major part of that.

Excellent post, yinzer. :cheers: Tomlin isn't Cowher and Cowher wasn't Noll. Each had/has his own identity which stands separate from that of his predecessor. Tomlin has quickly been developing his own rapport and swagger, if you will, which appears on the surface to be quite well received by the team as a whole and that can only produce good things.

Noll and Cowher are legendary coaches and part of the Steelers' history. Mike Tomlin is the present and future of this franchise - there should be no more discussion on or comparisons to his predecessors. This is the Tomlin era and from what I've seen thus far, it is going to be one helluva good ride! :tt02::banana:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Tomlin will end up a better coach than cowher...Give him time...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Sepulveda shanks that punt early in the game tomlin calls him over talks to him calmly pats him on the helmet and moves on.

Sepulveda should count he blessings because if that was Cowher he would have brought the hammer down on him and given him his first rookie spit bath Josh Miller style. :wink02:

steelcity58
08-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Point is...you don't have to dis one guy to like another.

Did you guys notice the All time #1 stats on Cowher during the game.

Jeez, Cowboy fans are friggin' fickle...not Steeler Nation

Buzz05
08-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Tomlin will end up a better coach than cowher...Give him time...

Lets be honest though. Steelers fans dont have the patience to give him time. We are all stubborn and want everything right now. Im not sayin Tomlin wont be a good coach but reality is, the second he starts sniffing the .500 mark there are fans out there that will be calling for his head. Remember the 6-10 season...a lot of people want Cowher gone saying he lost it..even after all the great seasons before hand. I just hope Tomlon gets his due and the time he needs.

delhess
08-27-2007, 10:04 AM
tomlin deserves a decent chance, and i believe he will get it. fans always jump the gun, that's just the way it is. don't forget that many blamed cowher for stewarts lack of sucess, and thought he was protecting him. i remember that was a lot of the issue.

Edman
08-27-2007, 10:48 AM
The Rooneys will give Tomlin all the help and time he needs, or chances...whatever. The Steeler fans won't. We were spoiled so terribly. Just wait until we lose our first game...

Hey, sometimes pressure is good, we wouldn't want the new coach to get lazy on us, now would we?

BlastFurnace
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
How can we judge a coach after 3 preaseason games! I am confident that Tomlin was the right choice and will prove that in time, but as Tomlin said last night...it's not what we say, it's what we do on the field.

If you remember Cowher's first preseason game, I think it was a 28-0 blowout against New Orleans.

Preacher
08-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Sep. Shanks a punt... and Tomlin doesn't do anything? Just talks to him?

FIRE TOMLIN. He won't be any good at all.

fansince'76
08-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Im not sayin Tomlin wont be a good coach but reality is, the second he starts sniffing the .500 mark there are fans out there that will be calling for his head.

You're giving (many, but thankfully, not all) Steelers fans credit for having too much patience there, Buzz. One bad loss ought to do the trick, never mind a bad season. Hell, we already have people screaming to Bench Ben and start Batch.

tony hipchest
08-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Sep. Shanks a punt... and Tomlin doesn't do anything? Just talks to him?

FIRE TOMLIN. He won't be any good at all.the least he can do is hock a loogie to show some emotion and keep steeler nation happy. :hunch:

Buzz05
08-28-2007, 08:32 AM
You're giving (many, but thankfully, not all) Steelers fans credit for having too much patience there, Buzz. One bad loss ought to do the trick, never mind a bad season. Hell, we already have people screaming to Bench Ben and start Batch.

I would like to find out what the total combined IQ of these people are then :dang:

SteelDogFan
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I understand the point. I have also noticed times where he seemed to be quote un-quote cower like. I take it the other way though, I dont want to see to much praise or head smashing. I think he is still getting a feel of the team and most of all himself as a head coach. This is like being on the board of directors then becoming CEO. A massive step in his profession and so far he's doing great I think. The main thing I dont want to see is over-reaction when a young player makes a good play.

Does anyone remember the Cower/Kordell kiss after KS made a good play. I believe he got to much praise and it blew Kordell's head up so that during the next off seson he did comercials and did not train. Thats why Mike Tomzack called him out on his work ethic during the off season. At the same time I dont want him to be Tom Coughlin either.

Besides the bottom line is I trust the Rooney's hiring process and I think he's going to be a great coach. We really did know anything about him. When he makes a mistake, and he will!, we will get to know a little more about him. :coffee: