PDA

View Full Version : Peter King On Sepulveda Bandwagon

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 08:39 AM
This from Peter King's MMQB

I think these are my quick-hit thoughts of the preseason weekend:

Special Teams Player of the Preseason: Pittsburgh punter Daniel Sepulveda. In his last two games, he's punted nine times for a 49.9-average ... and he's had only 15 return yards on those nine punts. The kid's a 6-foot-3 monster, and he could be quite a weapon.

OTOH, for anyone not thrilled by the Timmons reach at #15

Paul Posluszny: 12 solo tackles in three-plus quarters at middle linebacker.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/19/mmqb/4.html

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2007, 09:07 AM
God Peter complaining about the pre-season prices for tixs and teams not playing their stars and saying its not fair to the fans......I agree it sucks to pay that much and not see LT but nobody is forcing these people to attend pre-season games.......I'm smart enough to know not to attend pre-season games...lol Plus the fans would complain if one of those star players got hurt in a meaningless pre-season game...lol Its damned if you do or damned if you don't to me...

As for Daniel Sepulveda...I knew this kid would be great for the Steelers....I know its just pre-season but I'm sure we can tell how good a punter is going to be in the pre-season...Not much to gauge in a punter....

I agree Timmons was a reach at 15...I thought the Steelers could have traded down in the first and still drafted Timmons...But lets stop the comparisons with Paul Posluszny....So what he is having a better pre-season then Timmons right now.....Lets wait five years then lets say who the better pick would have been....

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
God Peter complaining about the pre-season prices for tixs and teams not playing their stars and saying its not fair to the fans......I agree it sucks to pay that much and not see LT but nobody is forcing these people to attend pre-season games..

??? - obviously nobody is being forced to attend the games, but fans are being forced to pay for exhibition tickets as part of the season ticket package.

If the Steelers or any other team have a 8 game season ticket package where you can opt out of buying the exhibition game tickets I would be interested in hearing about it.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
??? - obviously nobody is being forced to attend the games, but fans are being forced to pay for exhibition tickets as part of the season ticket package.

If the Steelers or any other team have a 8 game season ticket package where you can opt out of buying the exhibition game tickets I would be interested in hearing about it.

I understand that season ticket holders have to pay that much for the pre-season as part of their season ticket package....But oh well there is many out there that would kill to have season tickets....So if season ticket holders are going to whine about paying for pre-season games I won't feel sorry for them...lol I have paid big money to attend a single regular season game...lol

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I understand that season ticket holders have to pay that much for the pre-season as part of their season ticket package....But oh well there is many out there that would kill to have season tickets....So if season ticket holders are going to whine about paying for pre-season games I won't feel sorry for them...lol I have paid big money to attend a single regular season game...lol

Agreed that the NFL can charge whatever it wants for its product, but I assume we are in agreement that if exhibition tickets were not a mandatory part of the package there would be a lot of opt outs.

The NFL teams understandably are not going to give up the revenue from the 2 home preseason games unless it is made up somewhere else. Since IMO there is no real push to expand to an 18 game regular season (17 games causes a problem with an equal number of home and away games) in order to make up with additional TV revenue one less home exhibition game where the season ticketholders pay full freight, the status quo will continue and teams will continue to roll the dice that key players are not knocked out too often in the exhibitions.

HometownGal
08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
As for Daniel Sepulveda...I knew this kid would be great for the Steelers....I know its just pre-season but I'm sure we can tell how good a punter is going to be in the pre-season...Not much to gauge in a punter....

But lets stop the comparisons with Paul Posluszny....So what he is having a better pre-season then Timmons right now.....Lets wait five years then lets say who the better pick would have been....

Sep has been awesome in pre-season and I agree with King that he is going to definitely be a weapon - the 49.9 avg speaks volumes but his hang time has been amazing! Keep 'em back there Dan! :tt02::banana:

As far as the Posluszny/Timmons debate - I agree with you, Dan. Let's check on their respective contributions and values to their teams in a couple of years - comparing one to the other at this point in their ROOKIE PRE-SEASONS is ridiculous.

rbryan
08-20-2007, 10:22 AM
It's good to be the King. lol

Must be nice to be paid stupid money just for jumping from one bandwagon to the next on a daily basis. I truly am jealous.

Hammer67
08-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I happen to like Peter King...think he's a great football writer. And, I love that he ran into a "Yinzer" at an airport bathroom! Jesus, why is it that these guys are the ones who leave impressions as Steeler fans?? Some Pittsburgh redneck who thinks the Steelers are going 16-0 every year and to hell with anyone who disagrees!

For the record, I was appalled at the Timmons pick and thought that they were making a big mistake passing on Poz. So far, I still feel very secure in that opinion...

X-Terminator
08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
For the record, I was appalled at the Timmons pick and thought that they were making a big mistake passing on Poz. So far, I still feel very secure in that opinion...

Fans were appalled when the Steelers traded up for Troy Polamalu, then wanted to ride him out of town on a rail when he wasn't a superstar right away. Same thing happened last season with Santonio Holmes. How'd those picks turn out?

Give Timmons a chance.

Hammer67
08-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Fans were appalled when the Steelers traded up for Troy Polamalu, then wanted to ride him out of town on a rail when he wasn't a superstar right away. Same thing happened last season with Santonio Holmes. How'd those picks turn out?

Give Timmons a chance.

I seem to remember Polamalu being drafted as a good thing. I never got a negative vibe from it.

I think some people were wary of Santonio but I don't think they had many options last year.

Only time will tell.

rbryan
08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I will give Timmons a chance before calling him a bust, but trading down and being able to pick up Poz and then maybe picking up some help on the Oline with the extra pick sure sounds nice right about now.

Steeldude
08-20-2007, 10:56 AM
. Same thing happened last season with Santonio Holmes. How'd those picks turn out?

Give Timmons a chance.

the jury is still out on holmes.

X-Terminator
08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I seem to remember Polamalu being drafted as a good thing. I never got a negative vibe from it.

I think some people were wary of Santonio but I don't think they had many options last year.

Only time will tell.

There were many fans who questioned the wisdom of the Steelers trading up for Troy. It was then enhanced when he didn't have a great first season and some did call him a bust at the time. Now, you can't get a crowbar strong enough to pry their lips off his ass. As for Holmes, there were some of the same rumblings last season, but by season's end, when, IMO, he established himself as a viable #2 WR, the fans loved him.

Yes, time will tell. I just prefer to give a player a chance to prove himself before I call him a bust.

the jury is still out on holmes.

Yes it is - he has to do it for a full season in order to really prove himself. One half of a season isn't enough to call him the next big Steelers WR. But I believe that he is and will be a solid performer this year and in years to come.

alittlejazzbird
08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I happen to like Peter King...think he's a great football writer. And, I love that he ran into a "Yinzer" at an airport bathroom! Jesus, why is it that these guys are the ones who leave impressions as Steeler fans?? Some Pittsburgh redneck who thinks the Steelers are going 16-0 every year and to hell with anyone who disagrees!

I rolled my eyes when I read that exchange; just figures it would be THIS guy he would run into. Every single time Peter visits Pittsburgh (at least over the last four years that I've read his column), he writes something in his column about how fat Pittsburghers are and how everybody smokes. Nothing like perpetuating the stereotype. The Big Yellow Guy isn't going to help matters either.

You watch, next Sunday night, national TV preseason...wanna take bets on how long it will take to see the first video of a steel mill?

I like Peter's writing a lot, and he's generally favorable toward the Steelers, but I wish he'd quit with the same tired stuff that everybody already believes about Pittsburgh.

fansince'76
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Every single time Peter visits Pittsburgh (at least over the last four years that I've read his column), he writes something in his column about how fat Pittsburghers are....

Nothing like the pot calling the kettle black.

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I rolled my eyes when I read that exchange; just figures it would be THIS guy he would run into. Every single time Peter visits Pittsburgh (at least over the last four years that I've read his column), he writes something in his column about how fat Pittsburghers are and how everybody smokes. Nothing like perpetuating the stereotype. The Big Yellow Guy isn't going to help matters either.

You watch, next Sunday night, national TV preseason...wanna take bets on how long it will take to see the first video of a steel mill?

I like Peter's writing a lot, and he's generally favorable toward the Steelers, but I wish he'd quit with the same tired stuff that everybody already believes about Pittsburgh.

King actually is a pretty big booster of the Burgh (I recall he has relatives in western PA) and certainly the Rooneys, but there is a certain fringe of the fan base that cannot be ignored

I agree nothing anyone has written perpetuates stereotypes about Pittsburgh as much as that inane mascot - it apparently is regarded as having done an excellent job of undermining the marketing campaigns on which significant $$ have been spent to give western PA a post-industrial image.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07229/810138-28.stm

Hammer67
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM

It isn't just Peter...it seems these guys are the most vocal anyway. If I ran into Peter King in a restroom I would 1) Let him finish in privacy and 2) Afterwards, maybe say "Hi, I like your work" and that's it.
Show some class, Yinzers! Especially around media that can perpetuate stereotypes!

For the record, I have read some of King's comments about decent Burgh fans he has run into. He has commented that Steeler fans tend to be more knowledgeable then your average fan that he runs into.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Peter King can go jump off a bridge for all I care.....I never liked him and never will......Hell I want to spray paint that white spot in his hair...lol

revefsreleets
08-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Concerning preseason tickets, my friends that have them never have any trouble selling them at face value, and for a lot of people, it's the only chance they will get to go to Heinz because the season ticket holders aren't giving those seats up. It's supply and demand, and I see very few empty seats at the preseason games when I go.

PisnNapalm
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Off topic sort of...

Does anyone have any good pics of Sepulveda from either training camp or a preseason game? I've got an idea for a sig pic I wanna do.

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Concerning preseason tickets, my friends that have them never have any trouble selling them at face value, and for a lot of people, it's the only chance they will get to go to Heinz because the season ticket holders aren't giving those seats up. It's supply and demand, and I see very few empty seats at the preseason games when I go.

Not exactly how it works in ATL these days:dang:

revefsreleets
08-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Not exactly how it works in ATL these days:dang:

I can only speak for Pittsburgh. But, thank God we didn't draft Kordell Stewart II.

Hammer67
08-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Actually...I have never had a problem going to a game. I just go down and tailgate and wait till after the game starts...find a scalper and they practically give away seats if you haggle a bit. Get in during the first series and watcht he game, usually for less then face value. And it's been that way on the off years and the championship years.

:tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Timmons will be a started by the middle of the year........and all this talk will stop

Crushzilla
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Same thing happened last season with Santonio Holmes. How'd those picks turn out?

I know, personally, I was thrilled about the athletic aspect, but the fact that he couldn't keep his hands off his wife/girlfriend (and not in the good way) was a little concerning.

The issue with Holmes, I think, was his character.

The Duke
08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Timmons will be a started by the middle of the year........and all this talk will stop

That's the spirit, we got to believe in Tomlin's choice

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Replacing Harrison or Haggans?

yinzer-inseattle
08-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Replacing Harrison or Haggans?

I'll take some of that. My bet is Haggans. I'm usually wrong so no need to save this post to remind me later when LT confirms my lack of football knowledge. :flap: