PDA

View Full Version : Timmons ILB or OLB - Poll

SteelFist
08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Since there are many fans who believe that Timmons would be a great ILB, I figured it would be an interesting poll. Vote for whether you think Timmons should play ILB or OLB which is what he was "apparently" drafted to play.

You have to consider how it would affect the team...e.g. if he played ILB then either Foote or Farrior would have to sit or switch positions. Also it would mean that you are confident that Haggans, Woodley and J. Harrison can get the job done rushing the QB.

If you choose OLB, then you are confident that Foote and Farrior can get the job done at ILB (Even after Sat. night when Cooley scorched us over the middle..LOL.) You will be indirectly assuming that Woodley, Haggans and Harrison will be ineffective at pass rushing.

Remember, Timmons was drafted to play OLB but the coaches did say that they would cross-train him at ILB so never say never.
Lets hear it!

OneForTheToe
08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
I voted OLB because he is so far behind at the moment that I think they have to chose one. It would be wise this year to teach him to play the position he is more comfortable with at OLB. I could see Timmons making the switch to ILB next year if Woodly continues on his path to a starting position at OLB. The Steelers are thin at ILB now. In addition, there will be a postion open when Farrior's contract expires, or the FO deems him too expensive for his level of play.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Voted insde although I really haven't seen him enough to really be sure.

ChronoCross
08-20-2007, 02:05 PM
You figure in a few years Farrior will retire. So if Timmons stays healthy and is groomed right he could take Farriors place when Farrior is gone. Timmons will not be a type of player like Woodly who will make a immediate impact for use. So we got some time to work him.

Livinginthe past
08-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I must admit, I thought Timmons was supposed to be a prototypical pass rushing OLB.

I thought it was Woodley who had potential at ILB?

The Duke
08-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I would first like to see what he can do at ILB, but with that speed I think he's better at OLB

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
It also really depends on what type of defensive system Coach Tomlin planes on running the next few years. Timmons would IMO make a better ILB in a 4-3 rather than a 3-4.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
I dont care where he plays, I just want him to be productive.....He has not impressed me yet....... BUT... He has not been given the chance due to injuries...

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Timmons is listed at 6'1 235 but is rumored to come in at less than six feet

I know shorter/smaller guys can play inside (Zach Thomas/Sam Mills) but I think Timmons is seen as more of an outside speed rusher

moedap
08-20-2007, 09:22 PM
ILB. If he is as fast and quick as the say i am pretty sure you can line the 3-4 up so that the weakside ILB can blitz. With all the attention Offensive tackles get the middle has to be open. I am pretty sure Hampton and Hoke can open up a hole for Timmons.

Preacher
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I dont care where he plays, I just want him to be productive.....He has not impressed me yet....... BUT... He has not been given the chance due to injuries...

Hasn't impressed you?

I know it was only in the last part of the game....

but doesn't a LInebacker lining up and playing in a CB position... AND STAYING WITH HIS MAN impress you? Doesn't undercutting a pass and creating a situation where Gay got the interception impress?

For his first time out and only practicing a week at the pro level... just coming off injury... I think he was very impressive.

The Duke
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Hasn't impressed you?

I know it was only in the last part of the game....

but doesn't a LInebacker lining up and playing in a CB position... AND STAYING WITH HIS MAN impress you? Doesn't undercutting a pass and creating a situation where Gay got the interception impress?

For his first time out and only practicing a week at the pro level... just coming off injury... I think he was very impressive.

And that's something that big name linebackers like Adalius Thomas do. It's really impressive for a rookie

RoethlisBURGHer
08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I voted OLB. He was drafted to be one of the two bookends on the 3-4 LB scheme...Timmons and Woodley were drafted to play the OLB positions, or that is at least the way I see it. However, I think Woodley might end up at ROLB (replacing Porter) and Timmons will play LOLB (replacing Haggans).

I have said in other threads that I see the Steeler drafting ILB James Lauranitis of the Ohio State Buckeyes in next year's draft. I see him taking Farrior's spot at ILB. So unless they let Larry Foote walk when his contract expires, there won't be any room for Timmons at ILB unless we plug him in due to an injury.

Galax Steeler
08-21-2007, 04:25 AM
I also thought for what little time he played he has shown that he can play the game just give it a chance.

Steeldude
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
it all depends if timmons can play at all or even stay healthy.

if timmons can play i would like to see harrison moved to the middle and timmons on the outside. foote can sit on the bench. i am tired of watching him get mowed down and waiting for plays to come to him.

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Voted insde although I really haven't seen him enough to really be sure.

I agree. I voted ILB also. I love Woodley on the outside.

paw-n-maul-u
08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I voted OLB. He was drafted to be one of the two bookends on the 3-4 LB scheme...Timmons and Woodley were drafted to play the OLB positions, or that is at least the way I see it. However, I think Woodley might end up at ROLB (replacing Porter) and Timmons will play LOLB (replacing Haggans).

I have said in other threads that I see the Steeler drafting ILB James Lauranitis of the Ohio State Buckeyes in next year's draft. I see him taking Farrior's spot at ILB. So unless they let Larry Foote walk when his contract expires, there won't be any room for Timmons at ILB unless we plug him in due to an injury.

HA! ... you said you SEE us drafting him, or you DREAMED of us drafting him. I don't even want to be in a position to have enough ammo to trade up for him. Not saying AJ Hawks draft spot is a good place to start, but it might not be that far off.

I would much rather save the drafting of an MLB for the second round. Pick up Vince Hall from VT, and draft a OL in the first round. The first round has so many good OL-men, that with the shape we are in, we CANNOT pass up on one.

But back to the question. I'm still not convinced that Tomlin is just going to give up on this whole 4-3 thing that he's been a student off, ohhh how long, forever. And isn't it amazing how much tomlin has stressed "versatility" this TC. He also seems to have spent his first two picks on pretty versatile players as well. Woodley could throw some weight on and get right back to having his hand in the dirt. Timmons=Derrick Brooks. One of the best 4-3 LB's to play the game.
Astonishingly enough, Timmons and Brooks have almost identical skill sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a chance to snag a top DT next year, that tomlin jumps all over it.

Basically ... Tomlins future tenure with the team > Le Beau's future tenure with the team.

a 4-3's coming.