PDA

View Full Version : Pirates? Really?

Crushzilla
08-21-2007, 12:10 AM
As the Pirates work on closing up another come-from-behind victory, I have to wonder...

Isn't it a little early in the season to make that solid close that gives us all hope going into next year?

Shouldn't they be waiting another few weeks? :hunch:

iloveben7
08-21-2007, 12:18 AM
YAY the Pirates won!!

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I guess they figure now that they are completely irrelevant in this city and in MLB, they might as well get an earlier start this season. Give something to the Pirates PR group to pimp early this season.

Can't wait to see the closing out commercial for this season involving hopes and dreams for next season. Same old, same old. Year after year. :yawn:

Edman
08-21-2007, 02:07 PM
*Sarcasm On*
We're about to turn the corner! :thumbsup:

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 08:53 AM
The Nuttings are cleaning house this off season. This rumor floated down to me from someone I consider to be very reliable. After Kevin McC cleans out his office, Littlefield, Tracy and his staff, the medical staff, etc are all about to shown the door. The Nuttings are looking for a fresh face to come in and start from scratch. Now that might not mean a total roster overhaul, but it could mean the end of Jack Wilson and some of the other vets.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 09:02 AM
We're about to turn the corner! :thumbsup:

That's the all-time classic B.S. they pour on us during this time of year. Scary part...some still buy it. Although I am anxious to see how many season ticket packages are dropped after another season of false hopes and pathetically played baseball has ended.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 09:31 AM
That's the all-time classic B.S. they pour on us during this time of year. Scary part...some still buy it. Although I am anxious to see how many season ticket packages are dropped after another season of false hopes and pathetically played baseball has ended.

You mean after Littlefield and Tracy have been tossed out with the trash?

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 09:32 AM
You mean after Littlefield and Tracy have been tossed out with the trash?

Yeah, and while we still have an owner who will not throw some cash around or draft the best player available because he doesn't want to pay him. Yeah, that's what I'm anxious to see.

.500 next year!!!!! Here we come!!!! :sofunny:

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, and while we still have an owner who will not throw some cash around or draft the best player available because he doesn't want to pay them. Yeah, that's what I'm anxious to see.

.500 next year!!!!! Here we come!!!! :sofunny:

Uh, the Nuttings didn't pull the trigger on the draft pick. That was McC and his boys.

Like I said, don't be surprised when the whole staff gets canned and Nutting throwns around some serious cash.

X-Terminator
08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Uh, the Nuttings didn't pull the trigger on the draft pick. That was McC and his boys.

Like I said, don't be surprised when the whole staff gets canned and Nutting throwns around some serious cash.

Classic case of "I'll believe it when I see it." The draft pick may not have been Nutting's baby, but he's still the one carrying the wallet and hoarding money like Midas hoarded gold. I personally will be shocked if he spends $1 more on payroll than he did this season. That might break him and prevent him from buying more ski resorts, you see.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Uh, yeah that's what Nutting told the fans. He gave Littlefield and McClatchy complete control. Personally, I don't buy it. Then again, why should I considering the source? IMO, Nutting had some say in who we should draft. He's a big boy. He knows how to open his mouth (too bad not his wallet) and speak his mind. And finally, he owns the team. I find it very hard to believe that he did not have some say in who we drafted. I believe that like I believed that this year was the year we were going to reach .500.

Eitherway, it's still Nutting keeping that wallet closed. Nevermind the draft pick.

As for Littlefield and company getting the axe. I wouldn't be surprised. It has been rumored here for some months now. After this years showing for Tracy, it's understandable. Since 2001 with Littlefield, it's understandable. At least I would hope so. They need to do something even though I still feel ownership is to blame when all is said and done.

Let me know when you hear from your realiable someone that Nutting is selling the team, then I will get excited.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 09:49 AM
First, about the draft.

For every Alex Rodriguez out there, there are at least two Brien Taylors. So I'm not really upset at the way the draft went down. The top high school kids were all pretty raw and the best college kids were a notch below the normal quality.

About Nutting.

I'm going to give the guy a chance. But if he hires Dan Duquette as CEO, I'll wash my hands of the Bucs.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 09:54 AM
First, about the draft.

For every Alex Rodriguez out there, there are at least two Brien Taylors. So I'm not really upset at the way the draft went down. The top high school kids were all pretty raw and the best college kids were a notch below the normal quality.

For a team who needs a spark at the plate, I'll take that gamble over what we took. That's part of the draft....a gamble. If we were the Yankees or Red Sox, I wouldn't be nearly as upset. I'll take a big bat over a pitcher at this point in Pirates history. IMO, this team needs to take the best player available. But that would mean Nutting might have to open up his wallet down the road. God forbid.

About Nutting.

I'm going to give the guy a chance. But if he hires Dan Duquette as CEO, I'll wash my hands of the Bucs.

I've seen and heard enough. When he leaves, I'll be happy and have higher hopes. Until then, I'm not expecting a playoff run.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 09:59 AM
BTW, if we reach the playoffs with Nutting in charge, I'll be more than happy to eat my crow.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 09:59 AM
So who were you looking at? Weiters?

Most pro scouts saw him more in the mold of Jason Varitek than Mike Piazza.

Besides, catcher is a position where the Bucs actually have some depth in the minors. If he was a first baseman or an outfielder, I would have been more upset that the Bucs passed on him. But he's a catcher. The upside there isn't what most people think it is.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 10:06 AM
So who were you looking at? Weiters?

Most pro scouts saw him more in the mold of Jason Varitek than Mike Piazza.

Besides, catcher is a position where the Bucs actually have some depth in the minors. If he was a first baseman or an outfielder, I would have been more upset that the Bucs passed on him. But he's a catcher. The upside there isn't what most people think it is.

At this point, after hearing about the pitcher we took, I would have taken anybody. But I wouldn't have minded seeing Weiters......a nice bat in the lineup. I'm also not so sure that the "depth at catcher" is as good as we thought it was going to be. That remains to be seen, but I'll take Weiters and the chance of a big bat over the pitcher we took.

Maybe when that pick blows out his arm and we destroy him in the minors, opinions will change. Maybe. Then again, the majority of the Pittsburgh area was pissed when we took Moskos. So thankfully I'm not the only one. At the end of the day with this team, I still say you take the best player available.

Baltimore says "thank you". :sofunny:

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 10:10 AM
At this point, after hearing about the pitcher we took, I would have taken anybody. But I wouldn't have minded seeing Weiters......a nice bat in the lineup. I'm also not so sure that the "depth at catcher" is as good as we thought it was going to be. That remains to be seen, but I'll take Weiters and the chance of a big bat over the pitcher we took.

Maybe when that pick blows out his arm and we destroy him in the minors, opinions will change. Maybe. At the end of the day, I still say you take the best player available.

Baltimore says "thank you". :sofunny:

Ok, he doesn't project as a big bat at the major league level. That's the point I was trying to make. A lot of people like him because he's a switch hitter, but if he wants to be a big bat he'd almost have to pull a position change before he gets to The Show. He doesn't really look like the next Texiera.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Ok, he doesn't project as a big bat at the major league level. That's the point I was trying to make. A lot of people like him because he's a switch hitter, but if he wants to be a big bat he'd almost have to pull a position change before he gets to The Show. He doesn't really look like the next Texiera.

And Moskos doesn't really look like the next Clemens...lol. Like I said, IMO with this team, you take the best player available. Baltimore had no problem pulling the trigger and taking that "gamble" on the kid. I guess they see something in the kid that our highly proven and reliable scouts missed.

I guess only time will tell. Much like with Nutting getting this team in a playoff run at some point in the next 50 years, I'll eat my crow if Moskos pans out. Hell, I'll eat my crow if this kid makes it to the majors while not having some type of lingering arm injury following in his shadow....:sofunny:

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I would have taken a chance on LaPorta. I'm not sold on Weiters.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 10:29 AM
I would have taken a chance on LaPorta. I'm not sold on Weiters.

I would have taken a chance on LaPorta, a dead Babe Ruth or Weiters. I'm not sold on Moskos.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I would have taken a chance on LaPorta, a dead Babe Ruth or Weiters. I'm not sold on Moskos.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like Moskos either. But what made me madder than the pick was the idiots in the Pittsburgh media jumping on the bandwagon of a guy they probably didn't even see play a game on TV during his whole career. I would have jumped at either of the high schoolers in a heartbeat had then been there. And I would have taken the gamble on LaPorta. But I wasn't calling the shots. Moskos will probably never see PNC Park, but that doesn't mean Weiters is going to be any great shakes either.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Moskos will probably never see PNC Park, but that doesn't mean Weiters is going to be any great shakes either.

No, it doesn't mean Weiters is going to be great, but I would have taken him and the "gamble" over Moskos and the "gamble", which has been my point and opinion all along. No pick in any draft is a for sure shot, but if I'm choosing and I'm the Pittsburgh Pirates, I take the better player available during this pathetic 15 year span in our storied history.

Also fwiw, from what I've read, seen and heard, it was not just the mean and brutal "Pittsburgh media" that felt it was a idiotic and stupid move to take Moskos over Weiters or to pass on Weiters in general.

You can also add Keith Law from ESPN to that list if you would like.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2007/index

That's just one example from a major media source. That's not counting the opinions from Pittsburgh fans in the Pittsburgh area who called in after the draft on local sports radio and tv programs who were also not very happy about picking up Moskos over Weiters and passing up on Weiters in general.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 10:59 AM
No, it doesn't mean Weiters is going to be great, but I would have taken him and the "gamble" over Moskos and the "gamble", which has been my point and opinion all along. No pick in any draft is a for sure shot, but if I'm choosing and I'm the Pittsburgh Pirates, I take the better player available during this pathetic 15 year span in our storied history.

Also fwiw, from what I've read, seen and heard, it was not just the mean and brutal "Pittsburgh media" that felt it was a idiotic and stupid move to take Moskos over Weiters or to pass on Weiters in general.

You can also add Keith Law from ESPN to that list if you would like.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2007/index

That's just one example from a major media source. That's not counting the opinions from Pittsburgh fans in the Pittsburgh area who called in after the draft on local sports radio and tv programs who were also not very happy about picking up Moskos over Weiters and passing up on Weiters in general.

Porcello has the most upside of the whole first round and he didn't go until 27th.

Like I said, I didn't like the pick. But keep in mind that at least half those fans burning up the phone lines wouldn't have been able to tell the two guys apart if they were standing side by side. They just wanted something to bitch about because a Pittsburgher isn't happy unless they're bitching.

83-Steelers-43
08-26-2007, 11:00 AM
They just wanted something to bitch about because a Pittsburgher isn't happy unless they're bitching.

lol, okay. So the Pittsburgh fans and the Pittsburgh media....gotcha.