PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kreider in danger of losing his roster spot to Carey Davis?

mental.apparition
08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Dan Kreider in danger of losing his roster spot to Carey Davis

PITTSBURGH - The starting fullback last Saturday in Washington was rookie Matt Spaeth.

Spaeth, of course, a tight end, and that coincides with the direction new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians's is taking his offense.

However, Spaeth is not the reason eight-year veteran Dan Kreider is in danger of losing his roster spot.

Instead, the player threatening Kreider's job is Carey Davis.

A fullback who caught 114 passes in college, and who briefly held roster spots with Indianapolis and Atlanta, Davis has impressed the coaching staff with his running ability, special-teams play and most importantly his lead blocking. Team officials say he's now No. 1 on the depth chart at the position.

Of course, the fullback position "has kind of been a dying breed in football," according to Coach Mike Tomlin. "But the reality is situational football is big. Goal line and short yardage is where games are won and lost. ... Invariably, when the rubber meets the road - third-down-and-one and goal-to-go - people got fullbacks in the game and they better have a good one."

If the 26-year-old Davis can lead first-team backs through the hole the way he's led second-teamers, the Steelers may have one more fullback than they need.

Free safety emerging?

With two preseason games remaining, coaches don't want to go on record with any official proclamations, but it appears Ryan Clark is in the process of nailing down the starting free safety position.

Clark has started two of the three preseason games, and could be in line for a third start Sunday night against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tomlin called the position open, but said a frontrunner "is becoming crystal clear."

Clark's competition, Anthony Smith, did not play last week because of an abdominal injury.

The Timmons review

First-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons received 11 to 12 snaps Saturday, according to Tomlin, and the coach liked what he saw from the outside linebacker.

"He has shown us splashes of what he is capable of, but this is the first time out for him and we are looking for him to take a big step this week," Tomlin said. "He showed us something when he came off the edge. We saw the explosion and things that we are interested in. But he just got his feet wet."

Timmons was used as a third-down pass-rusher, but was also moved around at times. On one play, he lined up as a cornerback.

"Yeah, that was a little bit of a situational defense where he walks out and is removed on the one wide, gets after him and stays underneath him," Tomlin said. "But that's his skill set. This guy is a talented guy. He can do a lot of things. That's why we drafted him where we drafted him. He can play out in space against some skilled athletes and hold his own; he can play on the second level as a linebacker, which is what he did in the sub-package; and he can also apply pressure off the edge. All of those things we saw on tape. All of it was attractive to us. But he's got to continue to progress and put it together here on the professional level."

Injury report

Brett Keisel, Jerame Tuman and Darnell Stapleton missed Monday's practice as Chris Hoke, Chukky Okobi and Derrick Jones returned.

Stapleton (knee) is close to returning, perhaps as early as today. Tuman is experiencing back pain and Keisel suffered minor bumps and bruises in the game.

Quotable

Tomlin on his first-team offense, which was held to three first-half points Saturday:

"It's not necessarily the case because of Bruce (Arians)'s wrinkles, it's just the nature of football. Defenses generally progress better than offenses. It takes offenses a little longer to get a rhythm. It's not an excuse, just the facts."

Updated 08/21/2007 11:04:02 AM EDT
?The Herald Standard 2007

wwwDOTheraldstandardDOTcom/site/news.cfm?newsid=18729732&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=468632&rfi=6

BlastFurnace
08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I can see this happening to Kreider if the Steelers keep:

Parker / Davenport / Haynes / Davis / Russell

Haynes can play fullback as well, giving the Steelers a viable option if Davis were to go down. Risky though...no doubt. Kredier would probably end up in Arizona with Whiz blocking for James.

Until I have a reason not to, I am going to trust Tomlin. The one I am not sure I trust yet is Arians.

IamTheSteelGod
08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
As if that would ever happen! Dan the man would be a starter for any team at any age. He is arguably the best blocking FB in the game.

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
As if that would ever happen! Dan the man would be a starter for any team at any age. He is arguably the best blocking FB in the game.

But Dan's game unfortunately may not be the one the Steelers are playing anymore if they switch from an I-back to a H-back scheme. Sort of like being a passt rushing DE who cannot drop into coverage or stuff the run if a defense switches from a 4-3 to 3-4 scheme.

Counselor
08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Dan is a little older now and has some knee issues.

As far as I'm concerned Davis is making the team along with Parker, Davenport and probably Haynes. The question in my mind is do they keep Krieder or Russell.

OneForTheToe
08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I hate to see Dan go. I think we would miss him on short yardage. That said, the Steelers have been swapping younger fullbacks for veterens for years now - just ask Jerome Bettis. Hey, Davis didn't go to the same college as our running backs coach, did he? :wink02:

Mosca
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I think the point isn't that Davis is that much BETTER than Kreider, but that if he is just as good, he can be both the fullback AND a backup halfback, along with being a special teams demon. He'll fill two positions with one roster spot.

Tom

HometownGal
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Most definitely he is. I don't see him going anywhere - at least not this season.

From Tomlin's lips . . .

Don't dismiss fullback

Tomlin is not ready to discard the role of the fullback in his offense.

"The fullback has been a dying breed in football, but the reality is situational football is big -- goal-line and short-yardage [situations] where games are won and lost, it's always been big."

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07233/811014-66.stm

OneForTheToe
08-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Agree with coach Tomlin about the fullback. Krieder is a beast in goal-line siuations. Now, the siuation I would like to see Tomlin figure out is how to sneek 58 guys onto a 53 man roster. :whistle:

come on you can do it.

IamTheSteelGod
08-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Get rid of Barlow for a start!

BlastFurnace
08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm shocked that there hasn't been a Lee Mays sighting yet in camp. I know he isn't there, but he is always lingering.

BlastFurnace
08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Most definitely he is. I don't see him going anywhere - at least not this season.

From Tomlin's lips . . .

I hope he isn't going anywhere either and although he did say that the fullback is still important...he didn't say that Kreider was going to be the fullback. I think Kreider has played a huge role with Parker's running and I would hate to lose him this season.

Who knows what Carey Davis is. I don't want to use the regular season to experiment.

The Duke
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Get rid of Barlow for a start!

Yes, please!!

As for Kreider I really hope he retires a steeler, and being a fullback like him retirement is never far. If someone beats him then well, good luck old bud. Davis at FB doesn't sound too bad, but I don't think you'll ever find a young guy who can pancake Ray Lewis again

With two preseason games remaining, coaches don't want to go on record with any official proclamations, but it appears Ryan Clark is in the process of nailing down the starting free safety position.

:dang: Come on Anthony, step up your game dude.

Preacher
08-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Kreider: Sad but the fact is, age catches up with all of us, as do the changing times. I don't want to see him in another jersey for the next 2 or 3 years, but I really don't want to see Carey in another jersey playing against us for the next 14 years either.

Smith: He is hurt, abdominal stuff... that is where you get a lot of explosiveness in hitting from. He'll be ok, and will eventually start. Don't worry.

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I hate to see Dan go. I think we would miss him on short yardage. That said, the Steelers have been swapping younger fullbacks for veterens for years now - just ask Jerome Bettis. Hey, Davis didn't go to the same college as our running backs coach, did he? :wink02:

That's for sure. Losing Kreider will be a HUGE mistake. I would let Haynes go first. We only have 1 true FB, and that is Kreider. Yeah, Arians will use different sets, but what about at the goal line?

delhess
08-22-2007, 12:08 AM
is it possible that davis could challenge kreider's job because of the roster spot thing.. but not until next year? i would like to see kreider at least one more year, but also give davis a shot too.

Haynesmustgo.com

Galax Steeler
08-22-2007, 05:05 AM
It will be interesting to see who we cut I say barrlow will be the first.

Elvis
08-22-2007, 05:51 AM
It would definitely be a mistake if they let Kreider go and use Davis there this season. Kuhn has more experience than Davis does in our locker room. If this team gets rid of the FB in our offense, it will be a long season and Tomlin will be in trouble. This organization is a smash mouth org. and I really dont think that the Rooney's are gonna let Tomlin and Co. get out of control..
:helmet:

IamTheSteelGod
08-22-2007, 06:25 AM
If only we could increase the amount of roster places!:cheers: Although i would still cut Barlow and Davenport if he doesn't get it sorted soon.

SteelersMongol
08-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Agree with coach Tomlin about the fullback. Krieder is a beast in goal-line siuations. Now, the siuation I would like to see Tomlin figure out is how to sneek 58 guys onto a 53 man roster. :whistle:

come on you can do it.

Is that still 53? Cuz I thought they had it down to 48 or something with 40.

Steeldude
08-22-2007, 10:17 AM
parker

davenport

haynes

russell

those are the 4 RBs that are locks, IMO. i believe kreider or davis will beat out barlow for the final spot. whoever gets cut will be back when haynes goes down with another injury.

Livinginthe past
08-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Kreider isn't going anywhere, the way I see it.

Relatively unknown ex-Ravens FB Mughelli signed a recent contract with the Falcons for 6years at $18million and he only carraied the ball 12 times in his whole career.

This is just another example of Tomlin attempting to portray this years TC has a wide open shoot-out across the board (the 8 O-line 'starters' for example...well maybe in Texas they would be).

Im confident Kreider will be on the opening day roster.

steelpride12
08-22-2007, 02:45 PM

it def. would suck to see him go and all, but he is just getting up there in age, and its prob. time for him to go. i would love to see Carey play he seems like a great addition to this team.

Mistah_Q
08-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Is that still 53? Cuz I thought they had it down to 48 or something with 40.The actual roster number is 53 players, but you're right there is a 40 number. . 45 is how many guys get to be active for gameday. The reason for this, I believe, is so teams with some of their players injured will not have a competitive disadvantage to totally healthy teams. It is very rare that a team will not have at least 45 healthy players, but usually not all 53 will be healthy.

08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
I do not like the idea of cutting Kreider, nor the idea of phasing out the FB position, in place of a H-back. Davis has had a nice TC, but it is preseason. Let's see Davis run at FB with the first team offense, and see if he can open up any holes as a lead back, before giving him Kreider's roster spot. I like the idea of diversifying the offense with different looks, but I beleive the I-formation with a lead blocking FB has to be one of those looks. If it were up to me, it would be:

Roster locks-
Parker
Davenport
Kreider

Still battling with two games to go-(2 of 3 make team)
Haynes
Russell
Davis

Out of the running-
Barlow
Kuhn
Croom

jjpro11
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
parker

davenport

haynes

russell

those are the 4 RBs that are locks, IMO. i believe kreider or davis will beat out barlow for the final spot. whoever gets cut will be back when haynes goes down with another injury.

theres no way you can call anyone but parker a lock, unless you are mike tomlin himself posting on this board. id put good money on davenport making the team again.. but other than that, its pretty much up in the air.

Elvis
08-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I do not like the idea of cutting Kreider, nor the idea of phasing out the FB position, in place of a H-back. Davis has had a nice TC, but it is preseason. Let's see Davis run at FB with the first team offense, and see if he can open up any holes as a lead back, before giving him Kreider's roster spot. I like the idea of diversifying the offense with different looks, but I beleive the I-formation with a lead blocking FB has to be one of those looks. If it were up to me, it would be:

Roster locks-
Parker
Davenport
Kreider

Haynes
Russell
Davis

Out of the running-
Barlow
Kuhn
Croom
I'm glad that Mike Tomlin has finally decided to post in here to let us know who is gonna stay and who is a gonner... Hey... how about letting us know who our starting O Linemen are gonna be:toofunny:
:tt02:

The Duke
08-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Roster locks-
Parker
Davenport
Kreider

Haynes
Russell
Davis

Out of the running-
Barlow
Kuhn
Croom

Kuhn gone? :crying01:

Galax Steeler
08-24-2007, 03:46 AM
I don't see both russell and davis making it I think at this point it should be russell.

08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm glad that Mike Tomlin has finally decided to post in here to let us know who is gonna stay and who is a gonner... Hey... how about letting us know who our starting O Linemen are gonna be:toofunny:
:tt02:

Well, appearently you do not read very well, because if you would have read the last line of the post before I gave MY opinions, you would have read "if it were up to ME". Also, if you would have read any recent newspaper articles, or even posts on this board then you would know that Parker and Davenport are locks to make this roster, you also would know that according to the PRESS that M. Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, and Colon will probably be your starting offensive line if the season started tomorrow. Reading it is a wonderful thing!:thumbsup:

justbnsd
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
[I]Hey,anybody like me concerned about the possibility of letting Kreider go? a big mistakeif this happens.I enjoy seeing ray ray get pancaked by this guy!

Mistah_Q
08-25-2007, 03:15 PM
[I]Hey,anybody like me concerned about the possibility of letting Kreider go? a big mistakeif this happens.I enjoy seeing ray ray get pancaked by this guy!
Letting Kreider go would not be a mistake at all.

Kreider will not be let go unless Carey Davis shows that he can do the lead blocking just as good, or better. If that's the case, then there's no reason to keep Kreider and his salary, as much as we all like him. If Davis can block just as well as Kreider. . then Davis will make us forget all about Kreider's 5 carries and 8 receptions per year.

And before you tell me that Kreider's very few touches are intended for special situations, to catch the other team off guard, etc. . . I realize this. But when you have players who are consistently better in those areas, it becomes moot.

Santonio4
08-26-2007, 01:16 PM
we need to keep krieder and give davis the ball on short yardage from the tilback position even if the oppostion knows it. he runs hard and he can be shrtyardage back for a year or 2 until krieder is ready to go on his own.

Crushzilla
08-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Kreider will not be let go unless Carey Davis shows that he can do the lead blocking just as good, or better. If that's the case, then there's no reason to keep Kreider and his salary, as much as we all like him. If Davis can block just as well as Kreider. . then Davis will make us forget all about Kreider's 5 carries and 8 receptions per year

I think the concern is that letting Kreider go is the first step in the murder of the I Formation.

I'm not sure if the logic will be "Davis can block just as well as Kreider."

I'm worried it will be "We don't plan on using a fullback often enough to pay the man."

Livinginthe past
08-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I think the concern is that letting Kreider go is the first step in the murder of the I Formation.

I'm not sure if the logic will be "Davis can block just as well as Kreider."

I'm worried it will be "We don't plan on using a fullback often enough to pay the man."

The odds of Davis being able to block aswell as Kreider have to be pretty small right?

Thats all Kreider does and he's very good at it.

This guy Carey Davis - what was he a UDFA? Or has he been round awhile..can't seem to find much info on him.

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2007, 03:26 PM
The odds of Davis being able to block aswell as Kreider have to be pretty small right?

Thats all Kreider does and he's very good at it.

This guy Carey Davis - what was he a UDFA? Or has he been round awhile..can't seem to find much info on him.
38 Carey Davis - RB

HEIGHT ? 5-10

WEIGHT ? 225

COLLEGE ? Illinois

BORN ? March 27, 1981

BIRTHPLACE ? St. Louis, MO

HOW ACQUIRED ? FA-'06

NFL EXPERIENCE ? 1

PRO: Originally signed by the Indianapolis Colts as a rookie free agent on April 30, 2004?signed to the Colts practice squad on September 6, 2004?signed to the Colts active roster on September 9?waived by the Colts on September 13. Signed by the Falcons on January 14, 2005?released by Atlanta on August 29, 2005?signed to Tampa Bay's practice squad on September 19, 2005?was released from the Buccaneers' practice team on October 11, 2005?returned to Tampa Bay after signing a future contract on January 4, 2006?terminated from the Bucs' on September 3, 2006?spent time on the Miami Dolphins practice squad before signing a future contract with the Steelers on January 3, 2007.

COLLEGE: Rated the second-best fullback in college football by The Sporting News, but saw his senior season get sidetracked even before it started...suffered a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery, but developed a staph infection that would sideline him for three early season games of the 2003 campaign...two-year starter developed into one of the better pass catchers in the collegiate ranks at his position...in 42 games, he caught 114 passes for 751 yards (6.6 avg.) and five touchdowns, adding 216 carries for 1,012 yards (4.7 avg.) and a score and 71 yards on eight kickoff returns (8.9 avg.).

PERSONAL: Graduated in May 2003 with a degree in Leisure Studies/Sports Management...worked as an intern in the school's sports information office in the summer of 2003...Nickname is Fats...Junior deacon at his church...Umpired little league baseball as a past summer job...Son of Carey Davis and Annette Slack...Full Name: Carey Alexander Davis.

tony hipchest
08-26-2007, 03:37 PM
hmmm. his moms maiden name is slack and he majored in leisure studies. sounds like a loafer to me. seriously, WTF is leisure studies. can you really get a degree in loafing?

davis is about 30 lbs less than kreider who is 255 lbs of muscle who has proven he can pancake the likes of ray lewis in his prime. i dont think many can replace what kreider does. still, he iis getting a little older and will walk after this season.

his current contract could be the deciding factor.

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2007, 03:51 PM
hmmm. his moms maiden name is slack and he majored in leisure studies. sounds like a loafer to me. seriously, WTF is leisure studies. can you really get a degree in loafing?

davis is about 30 lbs less than kreider who is 255 lbs of muscle who has proven he can pancake the likes of ray lewis in his prime. i dont think many can replace what kreider does. still, he iis getting a little older and will walk after this season.

his current contract could be the deciding factor.
The Recreation and Leisure Studies Department undergraduate and graduate programs at San Francisco State University offer instruction and training in the newest professional practices and leisure research, thus preparing students for a career in a variety of leisure service organizations. Academic work focuses on contemporary management, marketing, clinical, leadership and programming skills and the latest computer applications in the recreation and leisure field. Our program offers carefully guided internships and directed field experiences in professional environments enabling you to work effectively with people in a variety of settings. Opportunities are provided to create professional networks with a core of experienced "hands-on" faculty from a variety of disciplines, all dedicated to students and quality education. :hunch: sounds like it has something to do with outdoorsy stuff ....

tony hipchest
08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
:hunch: sounds like it has something to do with outdoorsy stuff ....san fransisco state u told me all i needed to know. heres a list of classes for this degree:

"how to hug a tree 101."

"the medicinal uses of acid"

"communication with flowers"

"playground engineering"

"hanging out at jimmi hendrix's grave 211"

"the evolution of the birkenstock sandal"

delhess
08-26-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.sfsu.edu/~recdept/genedf07.pdf

LOL

delhess
08-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Looks like he was studying to be a hardcore nfl player....:dang:

Mistah_Q
08-27-2007, 12:07 AM
It seems that Kreider has shown to be a more effective blocker than Davis, and still capable of making a couple plays. After this game I'm leaning toward

Parker/Davenport/Russell
Kreider

With Davis and Haynes fighting for that last spot.

dunkuntou
08-27-2007, 12:26 AM
We don't need Haynes. He won't be used at all and will essentially be taking a spot for a younger guy. He has way too many injury problems and is always hurt. I think we can say goodbye

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
And why do we need a fullback in a three wide receiver offense?

Oh I forgot! Because Willie calls the shots now.

Preacher
08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
If Kreider is able to catch ball out of the backfield... and can run the ball some.. He has just made himself invaluable to this team..

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 01:14 AM
If Kreider is able to catch ball out of the backfield... and can run the ball some.. He has just made himself invaluable to this team..

What?

The bottom line is this, Tomlin is a totally different kind of coach and seems to have no room on his roster for pets or projects. If Arians comes to Tomlin and tells him that he doesn't need Kreider, Krieder is gone. If anyone has a problem with that, maybe they should consider rooting for another team.

delhess
08-27-2007, 05:28 AM
What?

The bottom line is this, Tomlin is a totally different kind of coach and seems to have no room on his roster for pets or projects. If Arians comes to Tomlin and tells him that he doesn't need Kreider, Krieder is gone. If anyone has a problem with that, maybe they should consider rooting for another team.

why don't you like kreider. willies looks far better behind kreider. when arians says they don't need kreider, then so be it, but you sound like that's already happened..

the bottom line is that if you abandon what works for you, you are foolish. i don't think keeping kreider is the only way, i just think it might be the best this year.