PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Cut Jeremiah Trotter

CantStop85
08-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Eagles continue shakeup on defense by releasing Trotter
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Updated: August 21, 2007, 11:15 AM ET

Four-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter will be job-hunting in the coming days after being released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday.

A nine-year veteran, Trotter was informed of his status in a meeting with coach Andy Reid. The Eagles suggested that the now-unrestricted free agent consider retirement, but the 30-year-old's preference is to continue playing in the league. Trotter's release will become official when his name appears on the NFL's internal transactions wire this afternoon.

"Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys," Reid said in a statement Tuesday. "There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this [Monday] night and it was very emotional for the both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games."

The departure of Trotter continues a shakeup to Philadelphia's linebacker corps. It is now likely that two-time Pro Bowl player Takeo Spikes, acquired from the Buffalo Bills in a March trade, will take over the middle linebacker spot. Spikes has primarily worked at the weakside position in training camp.

Eagles officials have worked hard to create depth and competition in the linebacker corps, and have a number of young players the coaches want to work into the lineup.

This marks the second time the Eagles have essentially released Trotter. In the spring of 2002, Philadelphia designated him as a franchise player, and subsequently rescinded the tag, making him a free agent. Trotter then signed with Washington, where he played two seasons before being released after the 2003 campaign.

In 2004, Trotter contacted Reid, with whom he had parted on shaky terms, to see if he might rejoin the Eagles. He returned to the team that brought him into the league as a third-round pick in the 1998 draft and earned a Pro Bowl berth in his first year back.

A former Stephen F. Austin star, Trotter is one of just four linebackers in Eagles' history to earn four or more Pro Bowl invitations. He joins Hall of Fame member Chuck Bednarik, Maxie Baughan and Bill Bergey in that select group.

In 131 games with the Eagles (1998-2001, 2004-2006) and Redskins (2002-2003), Trotter has 1,184 tackles, 12? sacks and nine interceptions. He has notched 100 or more tackles in seven seasons, and 150-plus tackles five times, and had 202 stops in 1999.

Trotter has three years left on his contract, at base salaries of $2.635 million (2007), $2.72 million (2008) and $3.28 million (2009). His release was not a salary cap move, however, since the Eagles are comfortably under the $109 million ceiling.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2984329

PisnNapalm
08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Whoa... The Axeman got cut? ironic....

The Duke
08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I have to ask...Why? Is he actually getting beyond his prime

CantStop85
08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I have to ask...Why? Is he actually getting beyond his prime

Apparently the Eagles believe so, they've recommended that he consider retirement.

My hunch is that they wanted to give Takeo Spikes his starting spot and Trotter didn't want to be a backup so they decided to part ways. Certainly wasn't a cap casualty.

ChronoCross
08-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Not so much beyond his prime, but the injury issues that he has been threw over the past few years and they probably think he would be better off to retire before suffering a serious injury.

Eagles fans are probably freakin out right now.

Livinginthe past
08-21-2007, 04:25 PM
There will be plenty of teams with less depth in the LBer corps that will take a look at Trotter.

The Bengals could probably use some help with their run stuffing aswell as the Falcons and a couple of other 'likely suspects'

PisnNapalm
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
I live out here in Birdland.... Yeah fans are pretty stunned. So was I actually. Word was he was having a good training camp so far.

He may end up playing for another team. Who knows... He's had some injury problems in the last couple years too.

CantStop85
08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Pull the trigger, Bengals, pull the trigger...

PalmerSteel
08-21-2007, 05:20 PM
this would be a nice backup/sub for farrior and foote. maybe he would take a little lower salary just to say he was a linebacker for the black and gold?

Livinginthe past
08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
this would be a nice backup/sub for farrior and foote. maybe he would take a little lower salary just to say he was a linebacker for the black and gold?

lol.

No.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Get off the drugs my friend,lol. If he didn't want to be a backup in Philly, he doesn't want to be a backup anywhere.

Teams he can end up with:

Bengals
Falcons
Saints

I think those are the top 3 teams that will look to sign him.

LarryNJ
08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
He has lost a couple steps and it showed last year. His pass coverage has gone way down hill, he simply got beat on a regular basis. His run stopping was better although he has struggled there also, mainly IMO because the tackles didn't do their job well. He was given many chances in the preseason, playing more than most vets. I think it's because he couldn't get to the ball as quick as they wanted. As is the case in most sports today, coaches want SPEED and he got the Axe because he lost his.

PalmerSteel
08-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Get off the drugs my friend,lol. If he didn't want to be a backup in Philly, he doesn't want to be a backup anywhere.

Teams he can end up with:

Bengals
Falcons
Saints

I think those are the top 3 teams that will look to sign him.

hey guess what? kurt warner didnt want to be a backup when he moved to another team. neither did drew bledsoe. emmit smith? i could go on. plus he didnt have the choice in philly. because he was overpaid. what you want and what you get dont always match up. the point is maybe reality will smack him in the head and he will realize that he is a backup now on any decent team and he has to make the choice to go to a team with a chance at a superbowl ring that i assume he does not have or a team that will be pathetic this year and will give him an extra million or so. steelers have the added incentive as being in the same state (must like it in PA to sign twice) and be able to put on the black and gold :helmet:

CantStop85
08-22-2007, 09:06 PM
hey guess what? kurt warner didnt want to be a backup when he moved to another team. neither did drew bledsoe. emmit smith? i could go on. plus he didnt have the choice in philly. because he was overpaid. what you want and what you get dont always match up. the point is maybe reality will smack him in the head and he will realize that he is a backup now on any decent team and he has to make the choice to go to a team with a chance at a superbowl ring that i assume he does not have or a team that will be pathetic this year and will give him an extra million or so. steelers have the added incentive as being in the same state (must like it in PA to sign twice) and be able to put on the black and gold :helmet:

But why would he sign with the Steelers and be a backup when he could sign with the Saints or Bengals, teams that are almost as good or better than the Steelers, and be a starter?

tony hipchest
08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
But why would he sign with the Steelers and be a backup when he could sign with the Saints or Bengals, teams that are almost as good or better than the Steelers, and be a starter?:toofunny:

trotter is a between the tackles lb at best which means 2 things. 1 dimensional and the steelers dont want him.

the bengals want him for obvious reasons. they need him, and now that sam adams is gone, im sure it would help them re-live memories of another teams trash, sucking wind late in the 2nd quarter.

carolina is also in the hunt and a much better suitor than the bengals. he wont be expected to carry the team, and he will have a much better shot at reaching the SB.

SteelCityMan786
08-22-2007, 09:30 PM
But why would he sign with the Steelers and be a backup when he could sign with the Saints or Bengals, teams that are almost as good or better than the Steelers, and be a starter?

Timeout CS. If the Bengals are as good or better, then why the heck haven't they won either meeting the last 2 years that had the season on the line for them. exactly. LOST AND LOST

now the saints, you might be talking. However, they may step back. I have heard as of late if you finish last in the NFC South, you'll finish in 1st the next year.

CantStop85
08-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Timeout CS. If the Bengals are as good or better, then why the heck haven't they won either meeting the last 2 years that had the season on the line for them. exactly. LOST AND LOST

If you're Jeremiah Trotter and you see two teams who have finished with the exact same records two years in a row and have split their regular season series each year, you have to think they're about on the same level. With that being said, why would he pick an 11-5/8-8 team on which he would be a backup over an 11-5/8-8 team on which he could be a starter?

Maybe if it was the difference between the Colts and the Browns I could see your point.

It's a moot point anyway, the Steelers don't want him.

I'd like for the Bengals to take a look at him, bring him in for a visit and see what he looks like. If he's better than someone we're starting right now, sign him up, if not, keep moving along.

revefsreleets
08-22-2007, 10:02 PM
The Steelers simply just don't EVER pick up players like this. The closest example I can think of was Willie Williams a couple years ago, and the only reason they did that was because he was dirt cheap and he played for the Steelers before. Trotter is of no interest to the Steelers.

verks36
08-22-2007, 10:04 PM
He was a really good run stopper. personally i thought he was abloutly terrible in coverage.

But i hope he finds a new team he still has alot of fuel left in the tank.

It is sort of like the steelers cut Joey, the eagles cut Trotter