PDA

View Full Version : steelers have least amount of cap space....

tony hipchest
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
...left over for the 07 season.

according to gil brandt on sirius radio, every team except for the steelers has atleast $1,000,000 of extra space just in case of injury and emergency mid season signings.

this is common practice. if you lose a player for the year, you atleast have an option of signing a veteran off the street for the vet minimum (800K).

the c. davis vs. d. kreider situation may play itself out off the field, and i understand why okolbi has been giving the media the silent treatment for the past week. theres over 3 mil in insurance right there.

OneForTheToe
08-21-2007, 03:14 PM
That does make things look bleak for Chuki. Still, I would feel more comfortable with the Steelers cutting Okobi if I'd see Marvin Phillip do something good. Maybe that new center they signed ( Donovan Raiola) will be diamond in the ruff ..... probably not, Just hope Mahan stay healthy if Chuki is indead show the door.

The Duke
08-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Poor Chucky, seems like he'll soon be a goner. He's good so maybe he could start somewhere. Are the browns still waiting on Bentley, cause Okobi has to be better than whoever they have besides Bentley

Livinginthe past
08-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Is Okobi 'good' just because he is/was a Steeler?

From what i've read/seen he has done not much more than zero in a Steelers uni - is Mahan really that good or just the better of two average options?

I guess thats life after you lose a pro-bowler lineman (or two) ...just ask the Chiefs.

rbryan
08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't know how anyone can have much of an opinion on Okobi one way or the other. He hasn't played since he's been here. I'll defer to the FO on this one, at least they see him in practice everyday.

FOOTEupyourarse
08-21-2007, 04:59 PM
they obviously though pretty highly of him to keep him on the roster the last couple of years. i did hear mentions that in their eyes he was the heir apparent to jeff hartings when he retired and he did. why all of a sudden everyone loves Mahan? what has he done thats been so great.? he learned our whole system already?

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Neither Okobi, nor Mahan have showed me much yet.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm in agreement with most of you that Chukky is probably going to be the odd man out when it comes to trimming our roster but I really wish there was someway that we could also unload most of Starks' contract. I wish we could trade Starks for a back up tackle with a smaller contract but I really dont see it happening at this stage in the game.

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
i just wanna know how in the hell did cowher and grimm see okobi as the future center for the past 5 years, but tomlin and company don't....:dang:

The Duke
08-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm in agreement with most of you that Chukky is probably going to be the odd man out when it comes to trimming our roster but I really wish there was someway that we could also unload most of Starks' contract. I wish we could trade Starks for a back up tackle with a smaller contract but I really dont see it happening at this stage in the game.

If Starks does get beat by Colon I think he could still be a semi reliable backup, trai essex is worse than him, but still would need a smaller contract

i just wanna know how in the hell did cowher and grimm see okobi as the future center for the past 5 years, but tomlin and company don't....:dang:

Same reason they thought Colclough had potential maybe :sofunny:

Elvis
08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
If Okobi is Not our starter at Center, then he will either have to take a nice cut in pay or he will be let go I would think..
:coffee:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
If Starks does get beat by Colon I think he could still be a semi reliable backup, trai essex is worse than him, but still would need a smaller contract

I agree with you that Starks would make a good backup tackle, if he were to lose the starting spot. I'm just saying that maybe we could find a tackle of equal or close to equal talent who would recieve a smaller pay check in order to free up some cap space.

revefsreleets
08-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Those Rooneys are such cheap bastards! They never spend any mon....

Hey, wait a second:helmet:

delhess
08-22-2007, 11:08 PM
i know i'm playing catchup here, but who our center if not okobi ?

The Duke
08-22-2007, 11:20 PM
i know i'm playing catchup here, but who our center if not okobi ?

Um, Sean Mahan, our only big free agent acquisition

nicesteel4life
08-23-2007, 12:53 AM
I truly think it's a mistake to let Chuckster go. I myself think he would take a pay cut, and mark my words Mahan aint the Answer, specially if were going to be running alot of shotgun. He raises up to fast and will cause many snaps to bounce off his arssss. I like Chucky and still believe he is a better center.

Preacher
08-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Those Rooneys are such cheap bastards! They never spend any mon....

Hey, wait a second:helmet:

Ain't that the truth