PDA

View Full Version : Judge in Odell Case Blasts NFL

CantStop85
08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Certainly an interesting turn of events:
Judge calls NFL 'hypocrites'
BY SHARON COOLIDGE | SCOOLIDGE@ENQUIRER.COM

A judge told suspended Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman today that the NFL was wrong to suspend him for the season after Thurman was convicted of drunken driving.

Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge John Burlew called NFL officials “hypocrites” for promoting alcohol consumption during games but punishing players for drinking.

This case upsets me more than anything else, primarily ...with the National Football League,” Burlew said. “The allegations are that you had a legal substance – alcohol -- in your body, a substance which they advertise from and get money from, millions of dollars a year from. They're hypocrites. If they are really interested in pursuing this issue, they'd give everybody who went to that stadium and comes out of it a breathalizer, but they won't do it because they want the money.”

Burlew said if the league really wanted to crack down on alcohol abuse, they would give everybody who left a football stadium a blood alcohol test.

“You don’t like alcohol, take those Budweiser commercials off TV,” Burlew said. “Stop selling alcohol in the stadium.”

Burlew’s comments came as Thurman appeared in court on a probation violation charge.

Thurman was suspended last season and for the coming season by the NFL for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy after he was caught drunken driving. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has said Thurman can apply to get back on the field after the 2007 season.

The suspension comes after the league put in place a tougher personal-conduct policy to protect the league’s image and reverse the wave of off-field incidents involving players.

In June Burlew sentenced Thurman to spend six days in an alcohol treatment program, spend two years on probation and pay a $250 fine on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Thurman was charged last September after Cincinnati police stopped him on Kellogg Avenue in the East End and a Breathalyzer test showed Thurman had a blood-alcohol level of 1.8, more than twice Ohio’s legal limit to drive.

Thurman said in court that he was an “alcoholic and will be one the rest of my life.”

Thurman said after his arrest he spent four months at an in-patient alcohol treatment program followed by out-patient treatment.

Thurman was arrested earlier this month for violating his probation by failing to report to his probation officer by July 24. Thurman, who at the time also owed $574 in fees, fines and costs, was arrested on the charge Aug. 7.

He served six days at Turning Point, an alcohol-treatment program, and was released. The probation violation case was continued for two weeks to give Thurman time to get a lawyer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...EWS01/308210037

ChronoCross
08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Judge is a bengals fan..

fansince'76
08-21-2007, 03:27 PM
So it's the NFL's fault he has an alcohol problem? I call :bs:

Livinginthe past
08-21-2007, 03:30 PM
It doesn't matter what country you come from, one uniform thing we share - senile judges.

Is the judge suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed to drink at football games - that 'designated drivers' don't exist?

For the record, Mr Burlew, drinking isn't illegal (nor should it be) , but drinking and then driving a vehicle most definitely is.

Where do they get these guys?

rbryan
08-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Is the judge a season ticket holder?? I could care less what the judge thinks of the NFL.( Is this guy striving to be the next in a long line of TV judges??)

Poor Odell, he saw too many Budweiser commercials and couldn't help himself. Another example of making excuses in Cincy. If I were you I wouldn't bring any more attention to this clown than whats already been brought to light.

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
This judge is a fool and no doubt elected by "the people." I guess running automobile ads makes the NFL responsible for global warming too.

Hate to keep pounding the point I keep raising in the Vick thread, but this kind of crap happens in state & local courts all the time.

Think Senor Mexico would be facing time with prosecutor Poindexter and the home cooking of the local Surry County VA court?

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Not only do we have the Bengal "fans" and Marvin Lewis making excuses for the bum, now we have a judge. Sad.

When people get fat in this country. They sue McDonalds.

When people get addicted to nicotine and get cancer. They sue Marlboro.

When a P.O.S. athlete has problems staying out of jail, it's society's fault and in this case....the NFL's.

Must be nice. Let me guess....

Vick = The dog's fault?

Jones = The strip clubs fault?

Henry = Alcohol companies, gun companies and underage girls fault?

Preacher
08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Funny...

I understand what the judge is saying.

But he also misses the point completely. If he was just tossed for drinking... the judge would be right. But the CONTINUED problems... and the CRIME of Drinking AND driving...

then again.... when legislating from the bench is ok, why should it be ok for him to say this?

tony hipchest
08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Burlew’s comments came as Thurman appeared in court on a probation violation charge.

:toofunny:

In June Burlew sentenced Thurman to spend six days in an alcohol treatment program, spend two years on probation and pay a $250 fine on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. looks like berlew is the one to blame for not incarcerating the dumbass.

note to bengals: when you are watching gamefilm you dont have to watch all the budweiser commercials. the video dept can edit them out. studying from actual coaching tape as opposed to a network broadcast tape can help too.

perhaps m. brown is to blame for still running a beta and not upgrading to VHS.

stillers4me
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Saying Odell got suspended for drinking is like when the Dems always say Clinton was impeached because he had sex with an intern. I love when people twist the facts to support their warped views. (for those of you who don"t get it........Clinton was impeached for lying under oath....... not for having sex with an intern)

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2007, 06:04 PM
the judge seems to forget that the fans are not employees of,nor do they represent the nfl.

Edman
08-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Why am I not surprised?

Of course it's the beer company and the NFL's fault Odell is an alcoholic crminal who couldn't stay clean, It's never the person's fault. Judge just has to be a Bengals fan. He's defending the indefensable: criminal behavior. Just like the rest of the idiots.

Big D
08-21-2007, 09:19 PM
i'm to drunk to taste this chicken

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Does the judge realize that if the NFL pulled alcohol from it's games, attendence would drop. Most stadiums stop selling alcohol after the 3rd quarter, giving people time to sober up. It's not the NFL's fault if people enter the stadiums drunk, and it's not the NFL's fault if they drink when they get back to the parking lots.

You don't see beer comercials that don't mention drinking resposibly anymore. So the judge can't say the message doesn't get out there.

This judge is just full of horse crap, and he needs to shut up before he gets disbarred for being a jackass.

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
and he needs to shut up before he gets disbarred for being a jackass.

Unfortunately, you have judges in Ohio and Vermont giving child molesters a slap on the wrist, I doubt this judge will be disbarred if he keeps it up with the NFL.

But that's a whole other can of worms.

Preacher
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Does the judge realize that if the NFL pulled alcohol from it's games, attendence would drop. Most stadiums stop selling alcohol after the 3rd quarter, giving people time to sober up. It's not the NFL's fault if people enter the stadiums drunk, and it's not the NFL's fault if they drink when they get back to the parking lots.

You don't see beer comercials that don't mention drinking resposibly anymore. So the judge can't say the message doesn't get out there.

This judge is just full of horse crap, and he needs to shut up before he gets disbarred for being a jackass.

Trust me...

If the ninth circus court out here in California gets to stay on the bench.. all judges will get to stay on the bench.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Actually, the NFL may be able to sue the judge for what he said. He was out of line to say it. And if the NFL were to sue him, he would quickly be disbarred.

tony hipchest
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Actually, the NFL may be able to sue the judge for what he said. He was out of line to say it. And if the NFL were to sue him, he would quickly be disbarred.

calling someone (or an entity) a hypocrite is such a harmless and ambiguous term. hardly grounds for slander.

just like everyone else on earth, the nfl is simply laughing at this imbicile.

TackleMeBen
08-21-2007, 11:20 PM
i can see the judges point. but as we all know, judges dont just enforce the law ,they have decided to interrupt it to fit their political/religious beliefs also.

Preacher
08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
i can see the judges point. but as we all know, judges dont just enforce the law ,they have decided to interrupt it to fit their political/religious beliefs also.

Too true...

but after all...

TackleMeBen
08-21-2007, 11:44 PM
and then the media wonders why the average joe dont trust the judical system????????

stillers4me
08-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Alcohol IS legal. It's the hypocrisy of the Commissioner and the NFL in denying Odell access to his chosen career because of alcohol and subsequent DUI's, yet promoting alcohol through advertising and selling it to bleacher creatures for profit with little or no thought as to what happens later. When those who imbibe at the stadium leave, they could easily be pulled over by a policeman and be charged with a DUI or worse yet, wreck and kill themselves or an innocent family but apparently they (Goodell and the NFL) consider that inconsequential as long as their coffers keep getting filled. It's a definite double standard and the epitome of hypocrisy.

I agree with the judge!

It makes perfect sense to the Bungle fans. :dang:

And the judge finished by saying "Court is adjuorned.....Who Dey!" :sofunny:

revefsreleets
08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
There truly is no end to the mass hallucination going on down in southern Ohio. These Bengals fans are like OJ apologists, the one's who cheered when he got off. Incredible!

Indy_Steelers
08-23-2007, 04:14 AM
Quote-Alcohol IS legal. It's the hypocrisy of the Commissioner and the NFL in denying Odell access to his chosen career because of alcohol and subsequent DUI's, yet promoting alcohol through advertising and selling it to bleacher creatures for profit with little or no thought as to what happens later. When those who imbibe at the stadium leave, they could easily be pulled over by a policeman and be charged with a DUI or worse yet, wreck and kill themselves or an innocent family but apparently they (Goodell and the NFL) consider that inconsequential as long as their coffers keep getting filled. It's a definite double standard and the epitome of hypocrisy.

I agree with the judge! -Quote

It is getting drunk that is the problem not drinking. I do not see this a hypocrisy and even if it was I do not see that it matters. The NFL should have the right to let whoever it wants to play, play. "denying Odell access to his chosen career", please. It is a private business. It is also a privilege to play in the NFL not a right. Besides it was Odell that is denying his right when he choose to disobey NFL policy. The league can not control the behavior of the fans, wear a Steelers shirt to a Bengals game, but it can control the players.

stillers4me
08-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Remember that judges are elected officials. By grandstanding a popular local cause, he gets on the good side of the voters. And it's alot cheaper than a political campaign.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Hey!!!!...Chris Henry should file an appeal....after all....he wouldnt have waived that gun around if the NFL didnt promote "violence" and he wouldn't have been in an hotel room with underage girls if the NFL didnt promote "sex" through scandidly clad cheerleaders. Heck!!! everyone is a victim to the evil NFL empire!!!

alittlejazzbird
08-23-2007, 10:42 AM
That judge is an idiot. Sadly, he is one of many. How easy (and correct) would it have been for the judge to say "Mr. Thurman, you do realize, don't you, that your behavior, and only your behavior, is what brought you here today?" Drinking alcohol may be legal, but becoming a danger to yourself and others because you went too far is NOT legal.

How about a little personal accountability? So what if the NFL sells alcohol at games and uses manufacturers as sponsors? It's each person's job to police themselves. Mr. Thurman's inability to make good decisions is the only thing that got him where he is.

Wait a minute....what am I thinking? This is the United States of America - land of "blame-everyone-else-but-me-for-my-problems."

Silly me.