PDA

View Full Version : Willie Prefers Running With a FB...

tony hipchest
08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
keeping 6 backs still isnt out of the question

http://postgazette.com/pg/07235/811494-66.stm

"I prefer to have a fullback," said Parker, who was third in the American Football Conference last season with 1,494 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns. "You always want a lead blocker and someone who takes it in there. And a fullback, they just go and take it in there and block somebody to clear a path. Dan Kreider is a good fullback."

Kreider and veteran Verron Haynes are battling for what is likely the fifth and final running back spot on the team, behind Parker, Najeh Davenport, Carey Davis and rookie Gary Russell. But Haynes, who played very well in last week's preseason victory against the Washington Redskins, also can play special teams.

Parker said he was unaware that Kreider's job status would even be questioned and hopes that the 255-pound fullback continues to line up with him in the backfield.

"He's like an extra lineman that can run and can move side to side," Parker said. "He's a great blocker and he takes pride in what he does.

"It would be kind of disappointing [if he were cut]. It would be surprising. Sometimes you want to stay away from a lot of that, if they cut him. I don't want to talk about my man like that. He takes pride in what he does and I love what he does."

Steelers rookie Russell makes run for the money

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_523541.html

"He's running the ball really, really hard," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

The 5-11, 224-pounder has rushed for 121 yards in three games, and he has proven to be particularly adept at picking up yardage after contact because of his power and low center of gravity.

"He's a ballplayer, man," said Parker, who has mentored Russell just as Jerome Bettis helped him when he was a rookie.

Russell showed as much in two seasons at Minnesota.

He played as a true freshman even though the Golden Gophers had Marion Barber III, who scored 16 touchdowns for the Dallas Cowboys last season, and Maroney.

As a sophomore, Russell rushed for 1,130 yards and 18 touchdowns and was "equally as good" as Maroney, said Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth, a teammate of both backs in 2005.

"I loved having Gary in there, especially when we needed 3 yards," Spaeth said, "because if we needed 3, he was going to get 4."

What Russell didn't get at Minnesota were adequate grades.

He flunked out before last season and ran a slow 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine in February, forcing him to take the undrafted free agent route to the NFL.

every player interviewed says haynes must stay. he brings much more to the team than just what can be measured on the field. hope, jerome, porter, and el all had these same qualities that were able to band a team together and help the value of the whole be greater than the sum of their parts.

and then there is c. davis. he has proven himself as a valued special teamer, and an adequate back up to both najeh, and kreider.

with all things being said, kreider is gone after this season. possibly najeh too. davis and russell have the advantage of the pricetag they come with.

najeh isnt going anywhere as our #2 back this year. kreiders 10-15 plays a game may be the easiest to replace. with the steelers having the least ammount of cap space for emergency relief, i think kreider may be the 1 who is most worried.

Preacher
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
You know TH..

This is one of those cases where I am sad to say, you are probably right... and unfortunately, it isn't a matter of cap space, as much as it is a matter of roster space.

The Duke
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Damn, I hope the FO listens to Willie and let Dan stay. How probable is it that they'll pay attention to what he said?

tony hipchest
08-23-2007, 11:45 PM
for what its worth, kreider was an unknown when we 1st signed him and nobody wanted him to replace the fb for jerome (who also happened to be jeromes best friend on the team).

kuhn, haynes, davis have shown they can possibly be replacements for kreiders roll. unfortunately for kreider, he makes the most money of them all, and doesnt protect ben on 3rd down or make special teams tackles. he isnt a threat out of the backfield and when he is in the game, he almost telegraphs our plays as the defenders follow his lead to the ball.

that worked with jerome. as good as willie is, he isnt going to punk urlacher or ray lewis 1 on 1. he knows this which is probably why he is lobbying for what has been a great steeler blocking back.

personally, if it means keeping 6 backs, i hope it is chidi who goes. how did we ever keep morey and chidi on the roster when everyone knew they didnt even have a chance of cracking a starting roster. its not like our ST was that great.

The Duke
08-23-2007, 11:54 PM
personally, if it means keeping 6 backs, i hope it is chidi who goes. how did we ever keep morey and chidi on the roster when everyone knew they didnt even have a chance of cracking a starting roster. its not like our ST was that great.

I like the idea of 6 backs, as long as kreider and willie are in there. I guess there's also not much chance Dan would reconstruct his contract, many teams would be willing to pay him a good amount. Chidi can go, William Gay could replace him on ST and seems to be a better corner too.

OneForTheToe
08-23-2007, 11:58 PM
I can see what is going on here. The Steelers are setting Krieder up to fail so that they don't have to pay him big money. Ask yourself, have they hired a fullback coach? :tap:

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I can see what is going on here. The Steelers are setting Krieder up to fail so that they don't have to pay him big money. Ask yourself, have they hired a fullback coach? :tap:lol.

dont let jerome hear you say that. he may have to revise his book.

I like the idea of 6 backs, as long as kreider and willie are in there. I guess there's also not much chance Dan would reconstruct his contract, many teams would be willing to pay him a good amount. Chidi can go, William Gay could replace him on ST and seems to be a better corner too.dan doesnt make a huge ammount of money. (less than 1.8 mil but more than 1.3 i think, so i will quickly say 1.5). he could take the veteran league minimum with us, which would significantly save us atleast $700,000 and put us in good shape for an emergency.

if dan were cut, most teams wouldnt offer much more than the vet minimum (if they were that desperate, they would just claim john kuhn of the practice squad). personally, i dont think the rooneys operate this way and they would feel better giving him a legitimate shot at free agency next year if they feel he can trully help the team this season. but then again, this is a business and we do have a new "chief" at the helm.

as insignificant as a 6th back can be, this is definitely be much more interesting in how it plays out as opposed to essex potentially being cut and cappizi being held as a reserve on the practice squad (which is another way we can keep 6 backs).

verks36
08-24-2007, 12:33 AM

i agree with you that krieder should stay but why chidi. What is the point of having 6 running back on the roster. That would just be stupid the most we should have is 4. You and I know it would not be smart to carry 6 running backs. Chidi is the man he was awsome one punt coverage with Morey gone Chidi is going to step into are main specail teamer. Chidi flew down the field and was great at stopping the punt from going in the endzone.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/players/5805.jpg
come on chidi is the man

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo9ewi/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/snop.gif

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 12:43 AM
That would just be stupid the most we should have is 4. You and I know it would not be smart to carry 6 running backs. .

come on chidi is the man 2 years ago, that type of thinking wouldve left us with jerome, duce, kreider, and haynes, and no 5th sb trophy. chidi was already cut last year and only brought back after 2 other teams cut him. all that, for a rather sucky special teams.

next

Preacher
08-24-2007, 12:50 AM
l

as insignificant as a 6th back can be, this is definitely be much more interesting in how it plays out as opposed to essex potentially being cut and cappizi being held as a reserve on the practice squad (which is another way we can keep 6 backs).

Not this year, not with these guys.

Think about it. We ACTUALLY have 1 speed back, two backs to pound, and two backs to play FB. That leaves us one back to play third downs if we are using a pounding back.

IT may not be insignificant at all. Especially because those FB will be running the ball a lot more, add to that a two tight end set...

Hey... I wonder....

New Thread Alert........

Galax Steeler
08-24-2007, 02:37 AM
I like the idea of 6 backs, as long as kreider and willie are in there. I guess there's also not much chance Dan would reconstruct his contract, many teams would be willing to pay him a good amount. Chidi can go, William Gay could replace him on ST and seems to be a better corner too.

I agree let chidi go I think gay is going to be alot better.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 06:12 AM
What the hell? Are the inmate running the asylum here? To quote The Rock, Willie needs to know his role and shut his mouth.

This is Arians offense and if he says he doesn't need a fullback then the club cuts Krieder and carried what Arians needs to make his offense work.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2007, 07:25 AM
What the hell? Are the inmate running the asylum here? To quote The Rock, Willie needs to know his role and shut his mouth.

This is Arians offense and if he says he doesn't need a fullback then the club cuts Krieder and carried what Arians needs to make his offense work.

:iagree:

I know Willie is saying it to support a teammate, but this comes out as a player calling out the new regime.

Willie P. needs to run whatever plays the coaches send in under the offensive sets the coaches implement - if Faneca was saying he prefers blocking schemes that utilize a fullback he would be roasted for being a malcontent.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 07:36 AM
:iagree:

I know Willie is saying it to support a teammate, but this comes out as a player calling out the new regime.

Willie P. needs to run whatever plays the coaches send in under the offensive sets the coaches implement - if Faneca was saying he prefers blocking schemes that utilize a fullback he would be roasted for being a malcontent.

Willie needs to remember that if it weren't for the Steelers, he's be lugging the rock in some cut rate arena league right now. Some of these guys need to understand that the days of Cowher are over. I doubt Tomlin is going to care what Willie thinks.

delhess
08-26-2007, 11:48 AM
don't forget the man had almost 1500 yards last season. we need to do what works for him. plus i like kreider and would hate to see him go.

The Duke
08-26-2007, 12:12 PM
don't forget the man had almost 1500 yards last season. we need to do what works for him. plus i like kreider and would hate to see him go.

That's exactly what I'm worried about, he did good with Kreider, now the coaches may take Kreider away because the offense is evolving, but at the same time willie wants Kreider and may be he's saying he needs him. But the coaches still seem confident that he can run with the 3 TE sets and 4 WR sets, so let's hope they make the right choice. Just 2 more days until the initial cuts, hopefully Dan won't be there...

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2007, 12:52 PM

But this isn't fantasy football where Willie's stats are what matters- we need to do what works for the team; The offense simply did not get it done far too often last year and the O-line apparently is not set up as well as it was in prior years for a pound it out running game.

I hated to see the 70s Steelers go but the rap on Noll was he kept players around for old times sake - if Kreider is no longer a good fit than unfortunately he will be leaving (unless Duce left his sweats behind and we can have Dan K. stand on the sideline as Duce's replacement each week).

xbroughneck
08-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Willie needs to remember that if it weren't for the Steelers, he's be lugging the rock in some cut rate arena league right now. Some of these guys need to understand that the days of Cowher are over. I doubt Tomlin is going to care what Willie thinks.

Whoa...I think we're reading too much into what Willie said. I'm sure he's happy being a Steeler and will give 100% no matter what offense is run.

Wins will make EVERYONE forget their gripes. If the Steelers win the Super Bowl noone, not even Faneca, will be talking about "oh, I wish the Steelers did this".

Just win baby.

GeneralRobinson
08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Whatever running scheme Pittsburgh chooses to employ, I hope it improves their performance on the road. Willie only averaged 68 yds/gm last year on the road vs about 120 yds/gm at home. Having a fullback as the lead blocker did not help in this instance.

Elvis
08-26-2007, 05:17 PM
My opinion on the FB position is like this. I really think that the Steelers would be making a mistake to let Kreider go. He is just what the DR ordered according to Willie and that should be enough said.
:tt02:

delhess
08-26-2007, 06:39 PM
But this isn't fantasy football where Willie's stats are what matters- we need to do what works for the team; The offense simply did not get it done far too often last year and the O-line apparently is not set up as well as it was in prior years for a pound it out running game.

I hated to see the 70s Steelers go but the rap on Noll was he kept players around for old times sake - if Kreider is no longer a good fit than unfortunately he will be leaving (unless Duce left his sweats behind and we can have Dan K. stand on the sideline as Duce's replacement each week).

yeah, i know you're right, and if it is the right thing to do, well then.....

i would just hate to see dan go. i was a steeler fan before i knew who dan kreider was, but i have gotten to know him since he signed w/ them. he's a great guy and i don't want to see him anywhere else, so i guess i'm a little biased.

X-Terminator
08-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I like Dan as much as anyone and wouldn't want to see him go either, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. I want to see the offense move into the 21st century rather than be stuck in 1975, and if that means we have to move on without Dan, then so be it.

SteelDogFan
08-26-2007, 06:45 PM
We all know that the Steelers have had a way of letting go of veterans slightly past there prime (or in some cases still in it) and replacing them. Dan can join, Joey, Jason, Alan, Chad, Yancey, Earl. Check this out.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20020430steele0430p3.asp

The thing I can say about our franchise is they are not only good at hiring coaches they know when to let a player go. More than that they usually do a good job replacing them. Losing Krieder before this new offense has had its go around may be a mistake. I believe they will have to go back to a fullback to help Willie out. But I have flew off the handle before about someone they have released and it turned out they knew what they were doing. Look at Kendrell Bell.

delhess
08-26-2007, 06:51 PM
nice article. the saddest part of football is how short the players really last. even some of the good ones.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
My opinion on the FB position is like this. I really think that the Steelers would be making a mistake to let Kreider go. He is just what the DR ordered according to Willie and that should be enough said.
:tt02:

I think I'll trust the coaches who get paid to make these decisions.

I root for the uniform, not the players. I don't care if they cut Kreider if Arians doesn't think he's needed anymore. The players don't make these decisions, the coaches do.

Edman
08-27-2007, 10:49 AM
In today's FA Era, getting a player to stay with you for even 5-6 years is an accomplishment.

Thunder Dan isn't going to be around forever. But I greatly, truly appreciate his time with the Steelers. I'm going to miss him. So glad he got a ring with us.

steelman60602
08-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Willie will be most effective if we use him like the Saints use Bush. We need to get him in open space more often instead of trying to hammer him up the middle and hope that he eventually will break a long one.