PDA

View Full Version : Did the defense wear out?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2005, 10:59 PM
They were on the field all day long..and those last couple of scoring drives were on the mark and Brady on the money all 2nd half.

No excuses, we lost the game fair and square, but you know our defense just had to be completely worn out.

figg
09-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Did Porter play? :rolleyes:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2005, 11:04 PM
You could see them getting up alittle slower and not closing as quickly as the game worn on. Even the best defense can get gouged if they are on the field all day. Time and time again they stopped the pats right up until the 4th quarter, then they just seemed to slow down.

Koopa
09-25-2005, 11:18 PM
well when we run a million times and can't get the first down the defense has to be tired as hell. i wish heath would've been more invovled in the passing game he showed us what he can do. if he doesn't get used like he should this is gonna be one wasted draft pick.

figg
09-25-2005, 11:18 PM
You could see them getting up alittle slower and not closing as quickly as the game worn on. Even the best defense can get gouged if they are on the field all day. Time and time again they stopped the pats right up until the 4th quarter, then they just seemed to slow down.

Yeah they were definitly winded. The offensive play calling didnt help at all. They ran way to many play action passes and got conservative with a 3 point lead. Playing not to lose makes you lose in big games.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah, we had them on the ropes w/ the big plays in the first half, then in the 2nd half they just went away from it?????? well that and the fact that we were shooting ourselves in the foot half the time too!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-26-2005, 12:10 AM
where was the pressure on the brady??

JunglesJim
09-26-2005, 01:50 AM
The 3-4 defense applies no pressure to Tom Brady. A simple solution would be a 4-3 anchored by Hoke and Hampton in the middle. Those two fireplugs would undermine any offense line.

Ambridge
09-26-2005, 02:19 PM
well when we run a million times and can't get the first down the defense has to be tired as hell. i wish heath would've been more invovled in the passing game he showed us what he can do. if he doesn't get used like he should this is gonna be one wasted draft pick.

I was thinking the same thing about Heath Miller yesterday.
He would have been a perfect weapon for some short dump off and delayed release passes.
That would have opened up the short middle of the field and maybe have taken pressure off of the WR's and the offense as a whole.

3 games for Heath Miller-2 catches 16yds.

It's ridiculous not to get him more involved in the offense. :mad:

Prosdo
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Heath Miller yesterday.
He would have been a perfect weapon for some short dump off and delayed release passes.
That would have opened up the short middle of the field and maybe have taken pressure off of the WR's and the offense as a whole.

3 games for Heath Miller-2 catches 16yds.

It's ridiculous not to get him more involved in the offense. :mad:

I agree. I would absolutely love to see this guy more involved in the offense.

clevestinks
09-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I am worried about our dbs. I think they may be overrated , with the exception of Troy, even though he is not a true Safety anyway. I know we didnt have alot of pressure, and I know Brady is really good. But it must be so much fun for Brady to drop back , the last quarter and a half, and have guys wide open. It was like playing catch in warmups. I didnt want to say anything after week one. But McNair had a descent game against us. I didnt want to say anything after week two. But Carr had his moments, even with costant pressure, he still picked us apart at times. Thiese guys are not exactly what I was hoping for. I hope I`m wrong. Please tell me I`m wrong. I want to be wrong.

I.C. Lights
09-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Well, maybe it's not so much the players as the defensive scheme...That's my hope. This game reminded me of the one 3 years ago where Weis found our "weakness." Hopefully it will just take some innovation and not new players.

The D definitely got tired, but I think they were set up to fail on the last drive. I mentioned this somewhere else, but we need to be able to kick the ball into the endzone and prevent large run backs when necessary - and especially against the likes of Brady and the Pats.

Koopa
09-26-2005, 05:22 PM
our real test for the dbs will be when we play the colts, if he has a field day on them we are going to have a lot to worry about cause we could be facing them in the playoffs, in fact i know we'll be playing them in the playoffs

Livinginthe past
09-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Pretty much every team has its weaknesses - some have a below par QB, some have no running game, some are stuck with a shambolic D.

What matters is what you do with your strengths to outweigh these weaknesses - in the salary cap era it is difficult to have a dominant ground game, an excellent D, and a top notch QB aswell.

DB's might well be a weakness for the Steelers, but you have to come up with schemes that allow you to camouflage it better - and improved play by the D-line is another option.

I mentioned it before, but T.O.P is going to kill your D unles you work out a way to make longer drives.

Cheers

NM

ironcitychef
09-27-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't thinl our DB's are the problem. I would have to say our LB's ability to pass cover is something you guys pick on time and time again.

slashsteel
09-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Sorry not improved play from our D-line. We shut down the run decently. Year in and year out we are one of the best if not the best. Our 3/4 runs on LB's getting the pressure. That is the area that needs to improve besides the secondary.

Overall we were not blownout, and our stats overall isn't bad. I don't buy into any problems with drives on either side of the field. One game doesn't make a season problem. And 20 points isn't a horrible final score. And on D 23 isn't horrible either. What was horrible was that last drive and like many mentioned the players being tired out had everything to do with the outcome.

Which goes along with the need for better subsitutions, and being crisper on offense and executing better. Like the pats the Steelers respond during the season and correct mistakes.

We will I know it.

But 10 points was lost on mistakes, not forced but our own blunders. That 10 points would have changed the outcome of the game. I guess whoever agrees or disagrees with this will have to stay tuned and see what happens later. I still think great things are yet to come...............

The question is and will be what we do in the postseason.

That is up to Cowher to fix. And if he doesn't his time might have ran out, but we'll see.......

I.C. Lights
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I think that what Living and Slash are referring to is right, it's a chess match of sorts and you have to be able to make the necessary adjustments. Pat's are the best at that hands down. I'm not sure where we stand.