PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Baker is getting gypped

Mistah_Q
08-27-2007, 12:15 AM
He's supposedly looked great in camp. Last couple games he's caught the oh, one pass that's come his way. . Tonight they say he looked bad -- he only had the one shot though. He was in the right place, and yes, should have caught it -- but he got plowed as the ball got there, and I can't really hold it against him.

I think Washington probably used this game to seal up any doubt, but Reid may have gone and played himself right off the team. . . which incidentally would open up a spot for Baker. I'm not ready to start tooting Baker's horn just yet, but I like his style and potential and I really wish we could get a meaningful look at him, not just see him in for a couple plays. . . I really want to see him in action for a good amount of time next week, before we go and keep someone who's not as good, or pick up a FA, or something along those lines.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 12:18 AM
He's supposedly looked great in camp. Last couple games he's caught the oh, one pass that's come his way. . Tonight they say he looked bad -- he only had the one shot though. He was in the right place, and yes, should have caught it -- but he got plowed as the ball got there, and I can't really hold it against him.

I think Washington probably used this game to seal up any doubt, but Reid may have gone and played himself right off the team. . . which incidentally would open up a spot for Baker. I'm not ready to start tooting Baker's horn just yet, but I like his style and potential and I really wish we could get a meaningful look at him, not just see him in for a couple plays. . . I really want to see him in action for a good amount of time next week, before we go and keep someone who's not as good, or pick up a FA, or something along those lines.

So we cut Reid and have (Wilson?) return kicks?

Baker is competing with Washington, not Reid.

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
It wouldn't be the first time the Steelers have cut a promising young wide receiver.

tony hipchest
08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
if i could trade last years 3rd round pick (w. reid) for texans 3rd round pick this year (jacoby jones), i'd do it in a heartbeat.

baker isnt the answer though. sometimes a player from Lane is better than a gator or seminole.

reid is in the same boat as our o-line. we are trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Preacher
08-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Here is the problem. Who returns punts? Reid muffed one punt, but was able to jump right on it...

So if we cut Reid.... who DO we put in to return punts?

verks36
08-27-2007, 12:40 AM
So we cut Reid and have (Wilson?) return kicks?

Baker is competing with Washington, not Reid.

we always have holmes to return kicks

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 12:41 AM
we always have holmes to return kicks

You want the coaches to use their only relaibel deep threat to return kicks and run the risk of getting hurt?

Preacher
08-27-2007, 01:37 AM
You want the coaches to use their only relaibel deep threat to return kicks and run the risk of getting hurt?

My thoughts exactly.

fansince'76
08-27-2007, 01:43 AM
With all due respect, how many opportunities do you realistically expect a 7th round pick to get? He had a chance at one ball tonight, and like you said he should have caught it. Worse than that, it was his fault it got picked. One play in preseason can make or break a player's chance at sticking on a roster when they are picked that low. It's unfair, but it is what it is.

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 01:56 AM
With all due respect, how many opportunities do you realistically expect a 7th round pick to get? He had a chance at one ball tonight, and like you said he should have caught it. Worse than that, it was his fault it got picked. One play in preseason can make or break a player's chance at sticking on a roster when they are picked that low. It's unfair, but it is what it is.

The point is that the Steelers don't have a good track record with wide recievers in the draft. This team has a very bad habit of letting go of good receivers and keeping mediocre ones.

fansince'76
08-27-2007, 02:01 AM
The point is that the Steelers don't have a good track record with wide recievers in the draft. This team has a very bad habit of letting go of good receivers and keeping mediocre ones.

If Baker was that great a prospect, he wouldn't have still been on the board in round 7.

tony hipchest
08-27-2007, 02:04 AM
:toofunny:

scouting reports say d. baker is dumb as dirt. good luck with that, cowboy!

while he may mean something to gator fans, he dont mean shit to me (especially when some scrub like lee mays is out there who can beat him out of a job).

hopefully baker can make the practice squad and prove to be worth a 7th round pick like many before him.

the point is the steelers track record says they will not put up with crap, whether it is troy edwards, fred gibson, or dallas baker. the steelers have a pretty good habit of letting a player walk and not overplaying their hand with somebody like plaxico.

(i might have missed the memo.... is dallas baker this years john kuhn?)

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 02:06 AM
:toofunny:

scouting reports say d. baker is dumb as dirt. good luck with that, cowboy!

while he may mean something to gator fans, he dont mean shit to me (especially when some scrub like lee mays is out there who can beat him out of a job).

hopefully baker can make the practice squad and prove to be worth a 7th round pick like many before him.

the point is the steelers track record says they will not put up with crap, whether it is troy edwards, fred gibson, or dallas baker. the steelers have a pretty good habit of letting a player walk and not overplaying their hand with somebody like plaxico.

Yup, that's worked out really well hasn't it? Now we have losers like Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson on the roster. Solid roster mangement right there.

fansince'76
08-27-2007, 02:09 AM
Yup, that's worked out really well hasn't it? Now we have losers like Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson on the roster. Solid roster mangement right there.

Only thing is, I didn't see Wilson or Washington play volleyball with the football right into a defender's hands tonight....

tony hipchest
08-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Yup, that's worked out really well hasn't it? Now we have losers like Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson on the roster. Solid roster mangement right there.yup, its the rooneys fault.

you know, the great thing about being a patriot fan is that they will go out and get you any randy moss or d. stallworth ones heart desires.

the bandwagon is not yet full. or is baker better than those guys?

ultimately the losers you mention both have more SB rings than baker. :yawn:

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Only thing is, I didn't see Wilson or Washington play volleyball with the football right into a defender's hands tonight....

I don't see Wilson or Washington doing much of anything because they belong in the Arena League and not the NFL.

There was a thread on this board celebrating the fact that the coaching staff said they'll be throwing the ball to the tight end more. Well guess what, they have to throw the ball to the tight end because the Steelers only have 2 decent wide receivers! For cripe's sake, Baker has to play with a future grocery bagger like Randall while Arena Leaguers like Washington and Wilson get to catch balls from Roth and Batch.

Look, the Steelers aren't a real threat to the post season because they don't have the guys to runs Arians offense yet. When a scrub like Nate Washington is your 4th option, you're in major trouble.

ultimately the losers you mention both have more SB rings than baker.

Which they'll be selling on eBay in about a year for grocery money. But buy your logic the Steelers should cut Verron Haynes and keep gary Russel because Haynes has a SB ring and Russel doesn't. Careful about your logic now.

fansince'76
08-27-2007, 02:18 AM
I don't see Wilson or Washington doing much of anything because they belong in the Arena League and not the NFL.

There was a thread on this board celebrating the fact that the coaching staff said they'll be throwing the ball to the tight end more. Well guess what, they have to throw the ball to the tight end because the Steelers only have 2 decent wide receivers! For cripe's sake, Baker has to play with a future grocery bagger like Randall while Arena Leaguers like Washington and Wilson get to catch balls from Roth and Batch.

Look, the Steelers aren't a real threat to the post season because they don't have the guys to runs Arians offense yet. When a scrub like Nate Washington is your 4th option, you're in major trouble.

Which they'll be seeling on eBay in about a year for grocery money.

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time following your logic. Baker was a 7th rounder, which in my eyes is a half-step above a UDFA. If he is such a can't miss NFL-caliber receiver, why was he still there when we were drafting with the 227th pick?

tony hipchest
08-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Which they'll be seeling on eBay in about a year for grocery money.yeah, like david patten and david givens. :yawn:

whatever makes you and poor mistreated baker feel better. i guess we should just cut holmes and ward to give him a shot with the 1st team :rolleyes:

(unfortunately thats not how it works)

maybe a team like the falcons will give him the shot he deserves. i'll weep in my beer when i see him tearing up the league for them. untill then...:coffee:

Preacher
08-27-2007, 02:26 AM

Ask the Giants what they think of Plaxico as thier number 1 goto guy... remember the quotes from him this spring?

Yeah.. Thank you Rooney's for dropping him.

Where exactly is Troy Edwards? What team is he starting for? heck, what team is he playing for?

Fred Gibson has caught on with what team and is able to play as a third receiver?

ARE is outplaying that big contract of his in Washington? Moved up the roster right? Look at these stats 2006: In his first season in Washington, Randle El started and played in all 16 games, recording 32 catches for 351 yards and three touchdowns. He also recorded 19 rushes for 118 yards. As a passer, he was 2-of-3 for 88 yards and one TD to Santana Moss for 48 yards. He also served as the Redskins' primary punt returner, logging an 8.8-yard average on 39 punts and one TD.

On the other hand, Ced. and Washington, while not exactly my favorites, have been able to play. They can be a third and fourth receiver on ANY team. Since we have our first and second lined up, that is ALL we need.

Preacher
08-27-2007, 02:29 AM
And don't forget reid that STILL may beat out Washington.

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Ask the Giants what they think of Plaxico as thier number 1 goto guy... remember the quotes from him this spring?

Yeah.. Thank you Rooney's for dropping him.

Where exactly is Troy Edwards? What team is he starting for? heck, what team is he playing for?

Fred Gibson has caught on with what team and is able to play as a third receiver?

ARE is outplaying that big contract of his in Washington? Moved up the roster right? Look at these stats

On the other hand, Ced. and Washington, while not exactly my favorites, have been able to play. They can be a third and fourth receiver on ANY team. Since we have our first and second lined up, that is ALL we need.

If you think that Washington or Wilson could be third or fourth receivers on any NFL team, I think you need to watch more NFL football. Neither of them would sniff the roster in places like Arizona or New England.

But this isn't about Dallas Baker or Nate Washington., It's about the Steelers fans who think that the guy who just got on to the roster one year somehow becomes so much better than some guy trying to make the roster the next year. This year it's Dan Krieder and the great tradgedy that would ensue if we cut his useless behind.

This isn't Cowher's Steelers anymore folks. There's no room for pet projects on this roster. Dead wood is dead wood and that's all there is to it.

tony hipchest
08-27-2007, 02:44 AM
dallas baker = dead wood (other than the rooneys theres no room for the mentally handicapped in the organization either)

anyways, where did cowher go?????

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 02:45 AM
dallas baker = dead wood

anyways, where did cowher go?????

Yeah, and

Nate Washington = dead wood

Cedric Wilson = dead wood

John Kuhn = dead wood

Dan Krieder = dead wood

So don't call out Dallas Baker when you're not willing to call out all the other losers the Steelers have on the roster.

tony hipchest
08-27-2007, 02:48 AM
So don't call out Dallas Baker when you're not willing to call out all the other losers the Steelers have on the roster.

Yes Sir! :salute:

:chuckle:

:coffee:

Preacher
08-27-2007, 02:55 AM
If you think that Washington or Wilson could be third or fourth receivers on any NFL team, I think you need to watch more NFL football. Neither of them would sniff the roster in places like Arizona or New England.

But this isn't about Dallas Baker or Nate Washington., It's about the Steelers fans who think that the guy who just got on to the roster one year somehow becomes so much better than some guy trying to make the roster the next year. This year it's Dan Krieder and the great tradgedy that would ensue if we cut his useless behind.

This isn't Cowher's Steelers anymore folks. There's no room for pet projects on this roster. Dead wood is dead wood and that's all there is to it.

So you name two team of the entire NFL? I think that proves my point.

While I am not excited about either of the receivers... I do think each of those two are one spot below where they could play on an average NFL team. And thank you, I watch a lot of football.

You seem to be changing arguments here. this was EXACTLY about Dallas Baker. He has all training camp, two-a-days, to prove himself, and did not. Washington, Ced, Reid have obviously proved to the coaches that they are able to produce better then Baker. Don't forget, there is also Walter Young that is fighting for a spot. Is Baker better then young? We don't know... but I will bet you the coaches do.

So no, I don't think Baker is getting ripped off, I think he failed to impress, so he is just taking up time until he gets cut.

fansince'76
08-27-2007, 02:56 AM

I'm assuming you're referring to the new-and-improved WR corps they acquired in the offseason, and not the stable of all-pros they fielded last season. At least I hope you are.

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 02:58 AM
So you name two team of the entire NFL? I think that proves my point.

While I am not excited about either of the receivers... I do think each of those two are one spot below where they could play on an average NFL team. And thank you, I watch a lot of football.

You seem to be changing arguments here. this was EXACTLY about Dallas Baker. He has all training camp, two-a-days, to prove himself, and did not. Washington, Ced, Reid have obviously proved to the coaches that they are able to produce better then Baker. Don't forget, there is also Walter Young that is fighting for a spot. Is Baker better then young? We don't know... but I will bet you the coaches do.

So no, I don't think Baker is getting ripped off, I think he failed to impress, so he is just taking up time until he gets cut.

Doesn't it depress you that the Steelers might actually have to count on Walter Young at some point this season.

Preacher
08-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Doesn't it depress you that the Steelers might actually have to count on Walter Young at some point this season.

Naaaa....

It depresses me more that had to depend on Lee Mays in the past!!

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Naaaa....

It depresses me more that had to depend on Lee Mays in the past!!

So we went from being kick in the balls to being punched in the throat.

:thumbsup:

Preacher
08-27-2007, 03:06 AM
So we went from being kick in the balls to being punched in the throat.

:thumbsup:

I really don't think so.

I think we have an excellent 1 and 2. We have a three and four that could be, in my estimation, a 2 and 3 on a number of other teams in the NFL. Tell me. Who would you rather have from other teams as a number 3 and 4 on our team... that are in that same position on the other team?

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 03:23 AM
I really don't think so.

I think we have an excellent 1 and 2. We have a three and four that could be, in my estimation, a 2 and 3 on a number of other teams in the NFL. Tell me. Who would you rather have from other teams as a number 3 and 4 on our team... that are in that same position on the other team?

New York Giants: Santana Moss and Steve Smith

Seattle Seahwaks: Bobby Engram and Nate Burelson

Jacksonville Jaguars: Matt Jones and Dennis Northcutt

Just for starters.

Galax Steeler
08-27-2007, 04:58 AM
I still would like to see young make the team I think he would be better than baker.

dhosmer
08-27-2007, 05:32 AM
New York Giants: Santana Moss and Steve Smith

Seattle Seahwaks: Bobby Engram and Nate Burelson

Jacksonville Jaguars: Matt Jones and Dennis Northcutt

Just for starters.

I'm guessing you mean Sinorice Moss, not Santana. And there is a difference.

Also, Northcutt is Jacksonville's #2 going into the season, and Jones their #3. And Jones is a great project, but in my opinion, that makes him the same as Washington - a project.

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 05:56 AM
I'm guessing you mean Sinorice Moss, not Santana. And there is a difference.

Also, Northcutt is Jacksonville's #2 going into the season, and Jones their #3. And Jones is a great project, but in my opinion, that makes him the same as Washington - a project.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Matt Jones could someday be an All Pro. Nate Washington could someday make a meaningful catch.

Mistah_Q
08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm quite okay with Holmes/Ward/Washington/Wilson. My problem isn't that Baker "won't make the team." If he's a scrub, then he's a scrub, and they can cut him. My problem is that we haven't had much opportunity to find out. On some teams, no, he doesn't get that opportunity. But Baker has supposedly looked great in camp, and good in practice.

I don't think our WR corps is good enough to justify *not* taking a good, hard look at him in action.

Mosca
08-27-2007, 08:26 AM
There's no room for pet projects on this roster. Dead wood is dead wood and that's all there is to it.

Yeah. Pet projects like... Dallas Baker. Dude, the guy hasn't shown ANYTHING. And don't you think that if he'd shown something in practice he'd have more chances in the live action?

Baker isn't who you want him to be. Take the rose colored glasses off.

The guy's rep is as a "hands" guy; not fast, not elusive, but the guy who will make the tough catch in the tough situation. Well, if that's the case, then when you get that one chance under pressure to perform, and you know that it might be your one chance to make the team... THEN YOU CATCH THE FREAKIN' FOOTBALL.

Otherwise get off the field.

Tom

The Duke
08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
The steelers had a worse WR corps in 2005, and we won a super bowl. That was Hines that got most of the catches and TDs, Randle El who had 1 TD, Ced Wilson that did almost nothing until the playoffs, and Quincy Morgan that almost didn't play. Of course, we are spreading the offense and all that stuff, but Holmes is already better than Randle El, and Washington and Ced will do good at their spots. I was hoping Baker could be a 7th round steal like Donald Driver and Mark Clayton(the fins WR not the ravens) but seems like he'll be in that 1st round of cuts

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Agreed - Swann returned kicks his first 2 years but once he established himself as the go to receiver those days were gone. Even barring injury, yoiu do not want your offensive threats getting banged up on returns during the game.

Given the options, they presumbly will give Reid several more weeks to find himself as a returner (I cannot imagine reid gets cut) and if that fails go to Wilson.

vasteeler
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
would like to know how someone could consider d krieder(sp) dead weight imho top 5 full back
.........dead weight:dang:

onthebus36
08-27-2007, 12:10 PM
I've seen Dallas Baker on two plays this preseason:

One, he didn't finish his route and missed a perfectly thrown BSP fade into the corner of the end zone.

Two was last night when he missed a catch and caused a turnover.

Maybe he did other good stuff I didn't notice but that is not how you make a team. Sorry...

Dylan
08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I think baker would be an amazing redzone threat

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I think baker would be an amazing redzone threat

Following up on the Steelers tradition of being unable to complete a fade pass to Plaxico in the end zone during his 5 years in Pittsburgh?

Great height doesn't give someone good hands - besides, it is clear Spaeth is going to be our dynamic red zone threat

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-27-2007, 07:46 PM
maybe a team like the falcons will give him the shot he deserves. i'll weep in my beer when i see him tearing up the league for them. untill then...:coffee:

Yeah the Falcons might give him a shot after all they took a chance on Fred Gibson after we cut him. BTW Atlanta hows that working out for ya??

Hobbster
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm quite okay with Holmes/Ward/Washington/Wilson. My problem isn't that Baker "won't make the team." If he's a scrub, then he's a scrub, and they can cut him. My problem is that we haven't had much opportunity to find out. On some teams, no, he doesn't get that opportunity. But Baker has supposedly looked great in camp, and good in practice.

I don't think our WR corps is good enough to justify *not* taking a good, hard look at him in action.\

According to EVERY report Baker has been non-existant in camp if not horrible and very bad in or non existant in games. They had the "Steeler Round Table" on Sunday night Fox Sports Pittsburgh a week ago saying how bad he has been and doesn't standa chance at making the team. the only suprising thing is they let Dan Sheldon and Fowler go first as they were out performing him in camp and practice.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah the Falcons might give him a shot after all they took a chance on Fred Gibson after we cut him. BTW Atlanta hows that working out for ya??

Another great Steelers draft day reach at WR.

He was cut 3 days into training camp by Petrino - having the IQ of a plant while being unable to remember the plays or when special teams meetings are held is a real drawback to success in the NFL.

I don't think the Rams have cut him yet

Preacher
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
would like to know how someone could consider d krieder(sp) dead weight imho top 5 full back

The issue isn't whether he is dead weight (though some might call him that... . ) the issue is whether it is worth a roster spot for him, when the team is rumored to move to an H back formation.

OneForTheToe
08-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Following up on the Steelers tradition of being unable to complete a fade pass to Plaxico in the end zone during his 5 years in Pittsburgh?

Great height doesn't give someone good hands - besides, it is clear Spaeth is going to be our dynamic red zone threat

Don't forget about Kuhn's 52 inch vertical leap.

Galax Steeler
08-28-2007, 05:07 AM

I would like to see more out of this guy.

nicesteel4life
08-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I would like to see more out of this guy.

Your not going too! He is History

The Duke
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Your not going too! He is History

Of course, all hall of famers are part of history :wink02:

Preacher
08-28-2007, 04:05 PM

I thought it was a 104 inch vertical... and he wears a cape!

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2007, 04:58 PM
\

According to EVERY report Baker has been non-existant in camp if not horrible and very bad in or non existant in games. They had the "Steeler Round Table" on Sunday night Fox Sports Pittsburgh a week ago saying how bad he has been and doesn't standa chance at making the team. the only suprising thing is they let Dan Sheldon and Fowler go first as they were out performing him in camp and practice.
:link:

OneForTheToe
08-29-2007, 02:01 AM
.... and he wears a cape!

SSSSSHHHHH ... Preacher, you're not supposed to reveal Batman's true identity. :headshake:

:wink02:

ricksteelers55
08-29-2007, 02:53 AM
What do you guys think about the possibility of signing one of the soon to be free WR as reported by Adam Schaefter

Reggie Williams
Michael Clayton
Chris Chambers

I think we should make a play for one of them,couldnt be worst then what we have as 3rd stringer right now.

Hobbster
08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
:link:

You want me to give you a link to a TV news show???

go to www .turnmytvonandwatchprogramonFoxSportsPittsburghfro mtwoweeksago. com

tony hipchest
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
What do you guys think about the possibility of signing one of the soon to be free WR as reported by Adam Schaefter

Reggie Williams
Michael Clayton
Chris Chambers

I think we should make a play for one of them,couldnt be worst then what we have as 3rd stringer right now.those are all (supposed) #1 wr's who were drafted as such.

unfortunately, last year our #4 reciever who was undrafted and was in his 1st year on an active roster outperformed them all:

Nate Washington- 35 rec. 624 yds. 4 td (following the same career path as denvers rod smith)
Reggie Williams- 52 rec. 616 yds 4 td (all 3 years below nates 1st year production)
Michael Clayton- 33 rec. 356 yds. 1 td (2 of 3 years below nates 1st year #'s)
Chris Chambers- 59 rec. 677 yds. 4 td (solid #2 who thinks he deserves h. ward $. he'll probably get it. 5'11" tall. why pay more for less?)

people think nate is trash. some may think these guys need a change of scenery. all nate needs is more snaps and more than 35 balls. he's got the height and speed we need at the position. how the hell is dallas baker gonna replace him when even these 1st round picks couldnt replace him :hunch: (maybe chambers was a 2nd. doesnt matter.)

NV STEELERS 723
08-30-2007, 01:14 AM
we trade for Randle EL and we give the Redskins $100,000 in cash and the Skins pay the rest of the 30 million dollars they owe him...thats the way we know the STEELERS will get the ball at their own 47 yard line every time..

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Here is the problem. Who returns punts? Reid muffed one punt, but was able to jump right on it...

So if we cut Reid.... who DO we put in to return punts?

Whoever returns punts needs to have Deshea line up behind him.......I consistantly see Deshea following people into the end-zone...why not take advantage of that?