PDA

View Full Version : Last night's game was a slight reminder of 2006...

Edman
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Steelers dominate the stat sheet, especially at halftime. But also win in a bad stat...Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.

Last night was nearly the epitome of last year. The difference this time is that we won.The O was clicking, the D is still stout (the 1st team in particular.). But the turnovers made the game closer than it should've been. Only until the 3rd stringers and Kevin Kolb came in at QB for Philly were the Iggles were able to do anything on their own.

Eliminate the stupid miscues(or at least most of them) and the Steelers are very dangerous. There is no way in hell they're an 8-8 team. The only games we truly did not deserve to win were Both Ravens games, the Jags game (we were simply out played in those games), and maybe the Chargers game, but the rest were just inexcusable.

I'm not saying this is going to happen again, I pray to God it doesn't, I know it's preseason, I'm just pointing this out. I still have faith and remain ever confident in my Steelers.

onthebus36
08-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Turnovers are going to be the difference maker again this season. It doesn't take a football Einstein to know that but I agree last night had same disconcertingly familiar similarities to last year.

Positives in the turnover battle:

Fumble returned for TD. Any time you score on a turnover is good news.

Forced fumbles. The Eagles fumbled four times last night and all of them were forced. Gay forced one of them. He's had a great preseason for generating turnovers.

At the same time, Willie and Ben know better. Ben's pick and Willie's fumble should never have happened.

verks36
08-27-2007, 12:25 PM
That fumble in the goaline was terrible. the worst place to fumble. That did sortof remind me of 2006

The Duke
08-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Willie definitely has to work on not fumbling at the goal line, and Ben had to take the sack when he's under so much pressure, not throw it randomly, those 2 things will be the most important during the season. I'm confident they can get points on the scoreboard as long as they don't turn it over

BlastFurnace
08-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd like to see what Gary Russell....with the starting OL...could do on the goal line. He runs with some power and always is going forward after being hit. Although Carey Davis is bigger than Russell, he doesn't seem to run with the same power.

There were some reminders of last year, but the team energy and down to earth confidence is better than last season.

Keep in mind, we pushed around the Eagles starters last night.

I think we are in for a great year. My prediction is 11-5.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Willie P. is going to stay in at the goal line, but one flaw that is keeping Willie off the absolute top shelf of RBs is that he puts the ball on the ground too often.

FOOTEupyourarse
08-27-2007, 12:49 PM
did anyone pay attention to Faneca last night? is it just me or did it seem like he was DOGGING IT? he missed around 10 blocks. it looked obvious too. 1 more thing....willie reid is not the return man we need. still fumbling the ball and catching balls inside the 10 yard line. dont they teach you to stand on the 10 and if it is over your head GET AWAY?

BlastFurnace
08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
did anyone pay attention to Faneca last night? is it just me or did it seem like he was DOGGING IT? he missed around 10 blocks. it looked obvious too. 1 more thing....willie reid is not the return man we need. still fumbling the ball and catching balls inside the 10 yard line. dont they teach you to stand on the 10 and if it is over your head GET AWAY?

I agree with you 100% on Willie Reid. He has shown absolutely nothing in the return game. He actually looks really slow out there.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
did anyone pay attention to Faneca last night? is it just me or did it seem like he was DOGGING IT? he missed around 10 blocks. it looked obvious too. ?

Absolutely - we had a running commentary on that in the game day thead last night, as well as on Faneca's statement to the sideline reporter tt he would not be capatain this year even if he was selected.

My theory is he has blatantly dogged it through the preseason to flip off Tomlin (Alan misses drinking with Grimm), Colbert & the Rooneys but will give a damn in the regular season because he is playing for next year's contract at that point.

FastWillieParker39
08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I really hope (and think) that Tomlin will work on the two bad turnovers. He'll tell Ben don't try to force anything and tell Willie to hold onto the ball.

If we can eliminate the turnovers, we are easily a playoff team.