PDA

View Full Version : Keisel fined $12,500

83-Steelers-43
08-27-2007, 01:02 PM
NFL fined Keisel $12,500 for Campbell hit
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 27, 2007

The hit Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel made on Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell in an Aug. 18 game turned out to be a costly one.

The NFL fined Keisel $12,500 for the play the resulted in Campbell leaving the exhibition game with a bruised left knee.

Campbell later had an MRI taken on his knee as a precaution but the result was negative.

Keisel hit Campbell in his lower leg after he lost his footing while rushing the second-year quarterback. He got penalized for roughing the passer.

He said last week the he didn't expect to get additional punishment for the hit but added that he wouldn't be surprised if the NFL did fine him.

"I saw the play and I made a nice inside move and I got tripped up and I just lunged at him," Keisel said last week. "I hit him above the knee, which is supposed to be legal."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_524344.html

verks36
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow i cant bielive it. DiD kimo get fined when he hit palmer. NO. Dude that retarded rat bird get fined for taking out sav rocca NO. But when brett loses his footing and falls into the quarterback he gets fined. Uh what has the league come to

Ohio Steeler
08-27-2007, 01:23 PM
there was nothing wrong with that hit at all

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Wow i cant bielive it. DiD kimo get fined when he hit palmer. NO. Dude that retarded rat bird get fined for taking out sav rocca NO. But when brett loses his footing and falls into the quarterback he gets fined. Uh what has the league come to

Kimo's hit is why the rule was changed - I disagree with the new rule but the league has put out the word QBs get to play the game in bubble wrap.

Ohio Steeler
08-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Hell the NFL should make the QB wear a blaze orange vest since they dont want them to get hit at all

Jman
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
This is kind of a shocker. I don't necessarily think it is a legit fine.

nicesteel4life
08-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I knew it was coming....

Ohio Steeler
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I knew it was coming....

we all did still does not make you any more happy about it

onthebus36
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Kimo's hit is why the rule was changed - I disagree with the new rule but the league has put out the word QBs get to play the game in bubble wrap.

The funny thing is that when the new rule was discussed at the owner's meeting, they showed Kimo's hit on Palmer and the hit on Ben's knee from the San Diego game. Of course, neither of those hits would have been penalties under the new rule.

I was at the game and the hit looked a lot worse in person. On video, Brett didn't hit the knee hardly at all. Most of the force of the hit went into Campbell's thigh.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-27-2007, 02:47 PM
That's a load of bull.

CantStop85
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Good to see they're finally enforcing this one...you can't go low on a quarterback.

Crushzilla
08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Good to see they're finally enforcing this one...you can't go low on a quarterback.

Agreed. I can't deny that... They are enforcing it... as questionable as it may be.

As mentioned before, many forget the blow Castillo put on Ben, probably because it wasn't later used as an excuse for blowing a game that was well in hand, but a lot of people are concerned about the enforcement.

Can this really be a black and white call?

With the precedent that is being set, I suppose any time a quarterback gets hit low somebody is getting a fine.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised when linemen start trying to pull defenders into QBs legs to incite penalties... Anything to win, right? :shake02:

Don't even tell me that there aren't coaches out there who will be telling their OLinemen to take advantage of the rule.

So you can now hit the QB in the arms and directly in the numbers... So... basically impossible when 300 pound guys are shoving each other around...

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
So you can now hit the QB in the arms and directly in the numbers... So... basically impossible when 300 pound guys are shoving each other around...

I think that is the goal - the NFL only wants QBs gently wrapped up and deposited on the ground

HometownGal
08-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Bull puckies. :bs::bs::bs::bs:

Change the name of the NFL to the PFL, because that is what it is becoming.

Crushzilla
08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I think that is the goal - the NFL only wants QBs gently wrapped up and deposited on the ground

Ya. I'm just worried that some of the teams are going to have trouble finding enough blankets to give to their front seven...

It may prove to be a costly endeavor to gently tuck the quarterback in before bed...

I'm not sure if a lot of the guys on the Browns defensive line can read well enough for the bedtime stories... Bah... they shouldn't worry. They'll never sniff the quarterback anyway.

Crushzilla
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Bull puckies. :bs::bs::bs::bs:

Change the name of the NFL to the PFL, because that is what it is becoming.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, HTG...

The People Friendly League :hunch:

:wink02:

SteelerFanInCA
08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
That's so weak. The NFL is full of crap on that one.

I didn't see anything wrong with the hit he put on Campbell. It will be a game of flag football before long.

HometownGal
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure what you are getting at, HTG...

The People Friendly League :hunch:

:wink02:

Here's a hint . . . . :wink02:

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/CatLaugh.jpg

TackleMeBen
08-27-2007, 03:52 PM
that is why the NFL has become the no fun league... just give the qb's tutu's and ballet shoes..

Ohio Steeler
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
That's so weak. The NFL is full of crap on that one.

I didn't see anything wrong with the hit he put on Campbell. It will be a game of flag football before long.

I could not agree more, lets wrap the QB in some bubble wrap and put a blaze orange jacket on him, since the NFL does not want him hurt that is

CantStop85
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I think low hits should be the only exception on quarterbacks. I don't think you should have to gently lay the QB on his back, but going for a qb's legs is risky. It's like cut blocking a d-lineman (see Denver's o-line), it's not really necessary and only leads to a lot of injuries.

Most of the other penalties for hitting a quarterback are pretty dumb though.

Crushzilla
08-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I hear you

But the problem is, what is the issue with hitting QBs low?

Obviously, its because they may sustain leg injuries, but what makes the quarterback the exception?

Is it because they plant their leg when they throw? So does every shifty running back and wide receiver. They constantly plant their legs to cut. Tackling low is encouraged against these positions.

MasterOfPuppets
08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I hear you

Obviously, its because they may sustain leg injuries, but what makes the quarterback the exception?

Is it because they plant their leg when they throw? So does every shifty running back and wide receiver. They constantly plant their legs to cut. Tackling low is encouraged against these positions.
the diiference is,more often than not the qb is stationary as opposed to any other position. which makes it so much easier for a defender to target a knee on purpose if they so choose.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
This is rediculas. Keisel was falling down. C'mon Goddell.

Crushzilla
08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
the diiference is,more often than not the qb is stationary as opposed to any other position. which makes it so much easier for a defender to target a knee on purpose if they so choose.

Once again. I hear you.

The point is, if they so choose.

I suppose fair is fair, though. How do differentiate between unintentional and intentional. Goodell should have been able to tell by the footage, though...

Oh well.

Providence Steel
08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
They should just put QB's in dresses and let them swish around.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Hell the NFL should make the QB wear a blaze orange vest since they dont want them to get hit at all

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I thought that the hit was made at the thighs which is a legal hit. But who knows.

Livinginthe past
08-28-2007, 02:28 AM
I hear you

I would say that the difference is that the QB is basically defenceless.

If he is a good QB then he is relying on 'sensing' the rush rather than actually staring at it - which means that he could get taken in the knee without any type of warning.

Defenders and running backs are often viewing action that is alot closer to themselves therefore making it easier to spot imminent danger.

I thought Keisel genuinely stumbled but that lunge was only ever going to have a bad outcome - the problem being that no defenders are going to pull out of these types of plays and run the risk of having the QB get away - like Vince Young did last year.

I have no idea what sort of deterrent $12,500 is supposed to be.

Preacher
08-28-2007, 02:43 AM
I understand protecting the QB...

BUt at some point... You know we are going to just put the flags on them...

...and a dress

Livinginthe past
08-28-2007, 02:48 AM
I understand protecting the QB...

BUt at some point... You know we are going to just put the flags on them...

...and a dress

Not mentioning any names, but some NFL QB's might actually enjoy playing in a dress.

SteelersMongol
08-28-2007, 04:01 AM
What a BS. He was falling not hitting. Why are they not doing anything against that Ratbird who was roughing the poor kicker? Or did they already?

Galax Steeler
08-28-2007, 05:02 AM
I think it is a cheesy fine the man was falling down.

Livinginthe past
08-28-2007, 09:15 AM
What a BS. He was falling not hitting. Why are they not doing anything against that Ratbird who was roughing the poor kicker? Or did they already?

Im not sure what version of the highlights you watched, but in the one I seen Keisel begins to fall and then lunges at the QB around the knee area.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8019740d

It was certainly no accident.

And the Ravens defender was fined $12,500, too.

nicesteel4life
08-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, for once and only once I agree with LTP, he lunged. But believe me, I hope as well as you all hope never to agree with LTP again....LOL

Indy_Steelers
08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
WEAK CALL!

vasteeler
08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah he lunged

Livinginthe past
08-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, for once and only once I agree with LTP, he lunged. But believe me, I hope as well as you all hope never to agree with LTP again....LOL

We don't want you making a habit of agreeing with me, even doing that twice in a row could be dangerous...upsetting some type of cosmic balance :wink02:

So here ya go.

The Patriots will equal or surpass the Steelers haul of 5 rings by the time the 2010 season is done.

Agreed?

83-Steelers-43
08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Brett Keisel said he will appeal the fine he got for hitting Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell in the left leg in an Aug. 18 game.

The NFL has docked Keisel $12,500 for the play in which he also got flagged for roughing the passer. "My defense is I was just playing ball," Keisel said today.

Keisel lost his footing as he was rushing the passer and hit Campbell in the lower leg. Campbell left the game with a bruised knee but the injury was not serious.

Of the appeals process, Keisel said, "You kind of explain the situaition. They can either say 'too bad' or they can take a dollar off."

Also, Mahan and Colon will start against Carolina.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_524561.html