PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release 10 players

BlastFurnace
08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/80603/

alittlejazzbird
08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Pretty much as expected, no great surprises. Barlow raised my eyebrow just a bit, but he hadn't shown much before last night. Wonder if Tomlin let him play so that he could get some decent film to try and get another gig?

The next round of cuts will be much harder.

Crushzilla
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Steelers Release Ten Players; Trim Roster To 75

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers released 10 players today, including three rookies and one seven-year veteran, as they trimmed their roster to 75 players.

Seventh-year running back Kevan Barlow was released after being signed by the team earlier this year. Among the rookies released were wide receiver Eric Fowler, defensive end Derrick Jones and long snapper Jared Retkofsky.

The Steelers also released second-year running back Larry Croom and five first-year players, including punter Mike Barr, kicker Connor Hughes, linebacker Richard Koonce, center Donovan Raiola and wide receiver Dan Sheldon.

NFL teams must trim their rosters to 53 players by 11 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 1. Teams may sign up to eight players to their practice squad after noon on Sunday, Sept. 2.

Well the real notable here is, of course, Barlow, which leaved some glimmering hope that my boy, Russell, may make it after all.

Not much surprise, otherwise, with the backup special teamers and some UDFAs cut.

HometownGal
08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Not anything shocking there. Tomlin has some tough decisions to make this week.

Thanks for the read! :cheers:

verks36
08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
every one knew barlow was going to get cut it was just a matter of time. As said earlier next cuts will be much harder

Jman
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
every one knew barlow was going to get cut it was just a matter of time. As said earlier next cuts will be much harder

:iagree:

Hoping to see some key names stay...

To name a couple... Nick Eason and Carey Davis...

onthebus36
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Well the real notable here is, of course, Barlow, which leaved some glimmering hope that my boy, Russell, may make it after all.

I think with Barlow out of the picture, that Davis and Russell may both make it.

Mosca
08-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I think that Barlow's playing time and early cut was to give him a chance to catch on. He might be able to help someone.

Tom

BlastFurnace
08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm wondering why Haynes did not play last night at all. It seems that Russell always gets the grunt work with the lineman who have absolutely no shot of making the team.

I like Russell much more than I like Davis.

MACH1
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Hopefully it helps make some room to keep Kreider around.

Loaf31
08-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Hopefully it helps make some room to keep Kreider around.

I was thinking the same thing, cutting Kreider would be a big mistake IMO

Kaeg
08-27-2007, 03:49 PM
No real surprises for me either here. I really want to hold on to Kreider, but I'd like Davis to stay around also. Especially if Kreider goes down or something. I think any of the remaining backs we can find a use for. I'd hate to have to make the choices now.:helmet:

Stlrs4Life
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
No surprises. Haynes should be next.

The Duke
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Interesting, seems like now our Special teamers are set. With no Barr then Sepulveda nailed the job, our hero in the skins game Hughes is gone so Reed stays, and no Retfosky(?) so Warren stays at long snapper, unless a backup lineman beats him to that job and he is cut on saturday, but seems unlikely.

Oh, and many should be happy that Kuhn is staying for now

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Steelers cut RB Barlow, nine others
Monday, August 27, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Former Pitt running back Kevan Barlow, who was trying to become a third-down back with the Steelers, was among 10 players cut today by Coach Mike Tomlin.

Also cut were punter Mike Barr, kicker Connor Hughes, wide receivers Eric Fowler and Dan Sheldon, defensive end Derrick Jones, running back Larry Croom, long-snapper Jared Retkofsky, center Donovan Raiola and linebacker Richard Koonce,

Curiously, Barlow carried four times for 14 yards and scored the Steelers' final offensive touchdown on a 1-yard run in their 27-13 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles last night.

The Steelers had to cut their roster to 75 players by tomorrow. They have to get to the 53-player limit by 11 a.m. Saturday.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Barlow had to go......Bad attitude

I checked the post for this thread but did not see it.........Until just now....Sorry!

Dylan
08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Barlow had to go......Bad attitude

I definately agree

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Can't complain about their decisions so far.

HometownGal
08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Combining with thread already in existence on this topic.

delhess
08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Can't complain about their decisions so far.

we'll get our chance to complain i'm sure by the end of the week.:wink02:

seriously though, i don't have real good feeling about davis. i don't really want him cut, but i hope they don't cut the wrong person just to keep him. something about him hasn't quite sold me 100%

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2007, 08:53 PM
No major shocks except maybe Barlow.

Preacher
08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
I was hoping Barlow would really step up and be a good change pace back... but oh well.

Other then that... no one on that list shocks me.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
They needed to get rid of Barlow to possibly keep Kreider. Willie wants him as a lead blocker...but does that make a difference in the coach's mind?

verks36
08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
They needed to get rid of Barlow to possibly keep Kreider. Willie wants him as a lead blocker...but does that make a difference in the coach's mind?

I think it does make a difference in the coaches mind. Without willie the steelers O sucks. If i were a coach and my best offenseive threat told me that he would DO BETTER with a fullback i would have a fullbac

SteelShooter
08-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Not much surprise, otherwise, with the backup special teamers and some UDFAs cut.

I agree with ya! :thumbsup:

I'm really hoping to see Russell make it. I believe he shows some promise as a short yardage or 3rd down back, and also as a relief for FWP when he needs a breather. :dancing:

nicesteel4life
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
WOW not a single surprise, I thought Barlow would be vut the day we signed him. Now comes the big week. I'm thinking these are the next

1. Dallas Baker- Practice squad
2. Cody Boyd- See YA!
3. Jason Capizzi- Practice squad
4. Marquis Cooper- Know nothing about
5. Jonathan Dekker- Practice Squad
6. Nick Eason- Just because
7. Verron Haynes- Knee isn't 100%
8.Javon Johnson- Casuality
9.John Kuhn- Yes People he is gone....
10. Mike Lorello- Maybe Signed back on practice squad
11. Grant Mason- Practice Squad
12. Ryan McBean- Practice Squad
13. Marvin Philip- Casuality
14.Bryan Randell- See YA
15.Ronald Stanley- hmmmmmm
16. Darnell Stapleton- Practice Squad

Well I got it down to 59 OH BOY!
Few more I think maybe in trouble but are battling with someone else that is as well..

ShutDown24
08-27-2007, 11:12 PM
If we let either Haynes or Russell go they will be picked up most likley and obviously Kreider as well... Here is my thinking our RB roster...

HB - Parker
HB - Davnport
HB - Russell

HB/FB - Haynes

FB - Kreider

Four may be a little more enticing to keep than five, but looking at the other posistions on the field I think we can afford to keep that many. The reason I don't have Davis making it is because I am doubtfull anyone would pick him up if we assigned him to the practice squad.

Anyone who says Haynes should be cut for any other reason than the injury is nothing short of a fool. He has been a clutch performer in the past, has a lot of versatility and is an elite third down back in this league. You rarley ever see him miss an assignment during his playing time on third down, nor dissapoint on draws.

Russell has generated interest most prevelant in our division.

Parker is a no brainer.

Kreider is a no brainer despite the rumors.

Davnport will be sticking around. Although I have other feelings about him than the team apparently, I can't see him going anywhere.

jjpro11
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
just wait til saturday... this board will be in a frenzy.

Galax Steeler
08-28-2007, 04:16 AM
No surprises. Haynes should be next.

I have to agree here haynes should be next.

barlowfan
08-28-2007, 07:30 AM
I think that Barlow's playing time and early cut was to give him a chance to catch on. He might be able to help someone.

Tom

wishing barlow some luck in getting a new job for this season. got to try harder next time.

IamTheSteelGod
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Not suprised in the slightest that Barlow has gone, the few times I did see him play he looked slow and not bothered.

Edman
08-29-2007, 08:30 PM
We all seen it coming that Barlow was getting cut. He looked like another Duce.

Preacher
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Too bad to see Barlow go, I had hopes that he could bring that missing element to our running game.

Then again, he apparently sucks now, so glad we found that out sooner rather than later.

:iagree:

NV STEELERS 723
08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Did we release Ben?