PDA

View Full Version : Stats of ranking defense and offense for the last 15 years

Al778416
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
I was a bit curious how rankings relate to playoff appeareances so I crunched some numbers and I came up with this

In the past 15 years the steelers had made the playoffs 10 times:

Offensive Ranking
Making the playoffs: 10 (average), 3-16 (range)
Not making the playoffs: 19 (average), 7-25 (range)

Defensive Ranking
Making the playoffs: 4 (average) ,1-13 (range)
Not making the playoffs: 10 (average), 7-12 (range)

No interesting discoveries other than when we don't make the playoffs is because of our offense.

P.D. Interesting stat: The Ravens always say that their 2000 defense is the best all time. In terms of yards per game they were not even the best of the 2000 season (the titans were)

MasterOfPuppets
08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I was a bit curious how rankings relate to playoff appeareances so I crunched some numbers and I came up with this

In the past 15 years the steelers had made the playoffs 10 times:

Offensive Ranking
Making the playoffs: 10 (average), 3-16 (range)
Not making the playoffs: 19 (average), 7-25 (range)

Defensive Ranking
Making the playoffs: 4 (average) ,1-13 (range)
Not making the playoffs: 10 (average), 7-12 (range)

No interesting discoveries other than when we don't make the playoffs is because of our offense.

P.D. Interesting stat: The Ravens always say that their 2000 defense is the best all time. In terms of yards per game they were not even the best of the 2000 season (the titans were)not tryin to bust your balls,but theses stats are pretty meaningless and doesn't support any theory. so they've made the playoffs with the 16th ranked O, but yet didn't make it with the 7th ranked O. and that proves what? they've made the playoffs with the 13th ranked D ,but didn't with the 7th. and ??? do a little more research and see if you can't find the balance between the O and D . then you may see a pattern. :thumbsup:

Dynasty
08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
nice post. thanks for the stats.

4n2t0
08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
P.D. Interesting stat: The Ravens always say that their 2000 defense is the best all time. In terms of yards per game they were not even the best of the 2000 season (the titans were)

Also interesting to note that year for the Ravens D:

1st all-time in total points allowed (165) in a 16 game season.

1st all-time in total rushing yards allowed (790) in a 16 game season.

1st that season in Rushing TD's allowed (5) and total yards allowed (4145)

2nd that season in Passing TD's allowed (11)

They definitely have an argument!

The '76 Steelers, '85 Bears, and '00 Ravens are somewhat interchangeable but in your preferred order you probably have the top three D's of all-time IMHO.