PDA

View Full Version : Dallas writer ranks Steelers 32 greatest players

Aussie_steeler
08-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Found this article from Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning news

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/082607dnsponflrankings.300b387.html

Lambert at #10 might upset a few folks on this board.

Have fun with this one.

The Duke
08-28-2007, 06:43 AM
No Anthony Smith :hunch:

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Maybe the Post-Gazette should rank the 32 greatest Cowboys

BlastFurnace
08-28-2007, 09:05 AM
As much as I liked Barry Foster, Louis Lipps was a much better Steeler than Barry was. Also missing that should be on that list is Levon Kirkland and Dwight White.

Crushzilla
08-28-2007, 09:13 AM
What the hell is this?

He offered basically no explanation. No rubric on how he came to his conclusions...

This is just garbage journalism... Actually this isn't even journalism...

WHO HIRES THESE PEOPLE!?!

P.S. More importantly, the rankings are terrible, too... Polamalu at 22? Not yet...

That's just one of many...

Mosca
08-28-2007, 10:25 AM
You know what irks me, when there is all this talk about the greatest Steelers ever?

WHERE IS THE LOVE FOR THE O-LINE OF THE '70S?

Sam Davis. Gerry Mullins. John Kolb. Ray Mansfield. Jim Clack. Larry Brown. Ray Pinney.

Those guys epitomized the concept of quick pulling linemen who were at exactly the right place at the right time. Next time you watch the '70s highlights films, watch the line play. It's like ballet with big guys.

It was a TEAM. Sure there were superstars; but EVERYONE on that team was a star. Franco didn't run behind trash, and we didn't build our reputation of a great running team on average linemen.

Tom

yinzer-inseattle
08-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Totally arbitrary. Why 32 and how do Barry Foster and Jason Gildon make the list ahead of Larry Brown . Hell I'd put Tunch Ilkin ahead of both of them. What crap.

Hammer67
08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
What the hell is this?

He offered basically no explanation. No rubric on how he came to his conclusions...

This is just garbage journalism... Actually this isn't even journalism...

WHO HIRES THESE PEOPLE!?!

P.S. More importantly, the rankings are terrible, too... Polamalu at 22? Not yet...

That's just one of many...

Actually, Rick Gosselin is one of the more respected NFL writers out there. He is on par with Ed Bouchette and has a vote in the HOF balloting.

Livinginthe past
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Tell you what..some people are NEVER happy!

You get a journalist from a part of the country that openly disputes the Steelers claim to be 'America's Team' and he's gone to the trouble of listing 50 of that rivals teams best players and goes on to tell you why he rates them so highly......

And people bitch and moan about it!

Kee-rist!

Cry me a 3 rivers!

BlastFurnace
08-28-2007, 11:16 AM

You get a journalist from a part of the country that openly disputes the Steelers claim to be 'America's Team' and he's gone to the trouble of listing 50 of that rivals teams best players and goes on to tell you why he rates them so highly......

Kee-rist!

Cry me a 3 rivers!

First of all...We don't claim we are America's team.

I live right outside of Dallas and Gosslin is an excellent writer...but...Gosslin is wrong on some of them.

Is there something wrong with analyzing another writer?

augustashark
08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
For me, I think the way to rank your greatest players is to look at each player and ask your self, is this guy the best to have ever played his position and start from there.

If I use the above mentioned scale, I would have to say that Rod Woodson was the steelers best player of all time.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Kee-rist!

Cry me a 3 rivers!

The guy may be a respected football writer but he writes for the Dallas paper, has never covered the Steelers, and has no particular insights into the history of the team - it has as much value as Ed.B. of the P-G working up a list of the greatest Cowboys players.

To the extent he worked up a list of the greatest Patriots would you regard it as anything of particular interest?

I know it is tough to come up with ideas for stories in the doldrums of late pre-season but Kee-rist!

Crushzilla
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Kee-rist!

Cry me a 3 rivers!

Gone to the trouble, LITP? I'm sure this totally consumed his weekend.

Its 32 also.. not even 50. He was going to do the top 50, but he was going to be late for his tee time.

Yes. I am going to bitch about it.

Why? Why did he write this? What's the point? Few people in Dallas give a damn.

Wait a second here it is.

I spent two days with the Steelers last week. I walked by the five Super Bowl trophies in the lobby and all the photos hanging on the walls of great players in franchise history. So what better time is there to pick the 32 greatest Steelers?

Uhhh.... What?

Great. He got to come see the trophies and photos,

No better time? Coming off an 8-8 season?

.....what?

Actually, Rick Gosselin is one of the more respected NFL writers out there. He is on par with Ed Bouchette and has a vote in the HOF balloting.

If he is such a great writer then why is there only a few blurbs on some of the guys.

This took him 20 minutes. Tops.

I've wrote more well-thought out posts in less time and I don't get paid for it

So, I'm going to have to see more evidence before I believe you.

Bottom line.

As you said. He gets a Hall of Fame vote. So that means he can just throw garbage out there and get away with it?

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
For me, I think the way to rank your greatest players is to look at each player and ask your self, is this guy the best to have ever played his position and start from there.

If I use the above mentioned scale, I would have to say that Rod Woodson was the steelers best player of all time.

Are you old enough to have seen Ham play (not a shot - just asking)? LT reinvented the pass rushing 3-4 OLB but as a 4-3 OLB for run support/blitz/pass coverage Ham was the gold standard in the 70s.

Until he hurt his ankle in 1979 Ham was peerless - OTOH even in his prime Woodson (who was great although arguably not as great as Blount) would get beat deep on pump fakes with a frequency one would not expect from a "best ever" player.

ShutDown24
08-28-2007, 01:52 PM
This list was a joke. Horrible writing, horrible selecting...

augustashark
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Are you old enough to have seen Ham play (not a shot - just asking)? LT reinvented the pass rushing 3-4 OLB but as a 4-3 OLB for run support/blitz/pass coverage Ham was the gold standard in the 70s.

Until he hurt his ankle in 1979 Ham was peerless - OTOH even in his prime Woodson (who was great although arguably not as great as Blount) would get beat deep on pump fakes with a frequency one would not expect from a "best ever" player.

If I look at the NFL from 1950 to now, I think Ham was one of the best all around LB's that ever played. Pass coverage was over looked alot when it came to LB's in those days and before. I just think that Woodson stacks up better against todays players then what ham does. Woodson would get beat on the out and ups, but there were many pump fakes that he played very well. You can never forget and the reason why I think he is better then say Deion Sanders is the blitzing and his tackling. Blount was great, but I would take Rod.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2007, 02:43 PM
If I look at the NFL from 1950 to now, I think Ham was one of the best all around LB's that ever played. Pass coverage was over looked alot when it came to LB's in those days and before. I just think that Woodson stacks up better against todays players then what ham does. Woodson would get beat on the out and ups, but there were many pump fakes that he played very well. You can never forget and the reason why I think he is better then say Deion Sanders is the blitzing and his tackling. Blount was great, but I would take Rod.

Ham would play at safety today but I measure players against those in the era in which they played in terms of relative greatness, not how they would play today - virtually any NFL starter today would have been All-Pro in the 50s and 60s (except RB - Jim Brown in his prime would be All Pro today).

yinzer-inseattle
08-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Kee-rist!

Cry me a 3 rivers!

LTP you have to admit he pulled half of this list from his ass. What's that saying about opinions and assh*l&s?...... How appropriate. :smile:

If Bouchette or Cook were to do the same with the Pat's, I'd analyze it with the same amount of dismay. BTW, are there 32 great Pat's?

OK before I draw your wrath, lighten up..... that was a joke.

Preacher
08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Come on Guys... He blew the first three picks COMPLETELY.

1. JOHN KUHN

2. Nate Washington

3. Kordell Stewart!!!

Who is this guy? He 0bviously doesn't know Steeler football!

The Duke
08-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Come on Guys... He blew the first three picks COMPLETELY.

1. JOHN KUHN

2. Nate Washington

3. Kordell Stewart!!!

Who is this guy? He 0bviously doesn't know Steeler football!

Preach...how can you forget about my boy Anthony?

Dylan
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I dont agree with that much but thats his opinion so whatever

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
no way in hell should joey porter be on this list !!! don't get me wrong , porter had his moments, but there were just too many games he didn't show up !! i'd have levon kirkland or mike merriweather ahead of porter....

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2007, 05:01 PM
another thought........dawson at 9, webster at 13 ??? both were OUTSTANDING and there simply is no formula that could justify putting one ahead of the other ( except a coin toss ) , let alone seperate them by four positions !!!

Hammer67
08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
If he is such a great writer then why is there only a few blurbs on some of the guys.

This took him 20 minutes. Tops.

I've wrote more well-thought out posts in less time and I don't get paid for it

So, I'm going to have to see more evidence before I believe you.

Bottom line.

As you said. He gets a Hall of Fame vote. So that means he can just throw garbage out there and get away with it?

LOL....dude, chill out. He's a writer...there are a lot of football writers that will do similar stories as it is the 75th anniversary and all. SO some guy writes his top 32 as an opinion. SO what?

Man...Steeler Nation...take a pill! :wink02:

bamass
08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Wonder what the people in Dallas think about the article? Can you think about the reaction in the 'burgh if the 32 greatest Cowboys, by Ed Bouchette, ran in the Post-Gazette?

Crushzilla
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
LOL....dude, chill out. He's a writer...there are a lot of football writers that will do similar stories as it is the 75th anniversary and all. SO some guy writes his top 32 as an opinion. SO what?

Man...Steeler Nation...take a pill! :wink02:

Haha.

Ya I know.

I wrote that and said "Wow. I need a dip."

Bottom line, though.

How many people out there are trying to be journalists and never get a shot. Many of my friends who have recently graduated are in that boat.

This guy has an "obligation" to write something. So he puts some crap together and calls it a day. Just irks me and make me worry about all the incompetent people that will be doing the job I want to do, but won't get a shot at when I graduate in a year.

I am officially chilled, though. Haha.

Aussie_steeler
08-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Wow, I didnt think this thread would generate this much fire. I thought this piece of junk would get one or two little bites.

These posts just remind me how passionate all our members are and thats why I love this forum.

Whats it gonna be like when the season finally gets here? I'm guessing you guys are saving your good stuff for the regular season. I cant wait.