PDA

View Full Version : We have the easiest first month schedule

The Duke
08-28-2007, 10:00 PM
1. Pittsburgh Steelers

Opponents: at Cleveland, Buffalo, San Francisco, at Arizona.
Opponents' 2006 record: 23-41.
2006 playoff teams: None.
Comment: Mike Tomlin couldn't have designed a better September in his first season as Steelers coach if he had drawn up the schedule himself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjilYjuRZgK8G808Hs692oGT2bYF?slug=thetou ghestandeasiestsep&prov=tsn&type=lgns

We better start the season 4-0, that'll be half of what we had last year,and we finish the season with a seemingly difficult schedule so that 4-0 start has got to happen.Get it done steelers :helmet:

OneForTheToe
08-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the article.

The only problem with that type of analysis is that it is based solely on last year’s results. If there is anything we should have learned as Steelers' fans last year it is that, in the modern NFL, last year means little or nothing. Do you think the Raiders looked at the schedule last year and thought; "Pittsburgh, yea we should win that one, no problem?" While I believe we have an excellent shot at starting strong, I wouldn't be surprised if there were two playoff teams among those first four teams that we play. Thus, it would be ridiculous to think that a 3-1 or 2-2 start would necessarily doom us to a terrible season.

Livinginthe past
08-29-2007, 01:58 AM
I know 'every given sunday' is a clich? but I think the relative easiness of Pittsburghs opposition could be counteracted by having new coaches and some new schemes in play.

I guess what you are looking for is some steady improvement through the first half of the year.

Galax Steeler
08-29-2007, 04:48 AM
As long as we don't get overconfident some of these teams could surprise us.

delhess
08-29-2007, 05:29 AM
i expect pittsburgh to win 3 of the first 4.

SteelersMongol
08-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Out of these first four, only Arizona might give us some headaches, cuz of the homeboys (Russ and Ken). :wink02:

onthebus36
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Out of these first four, only Arizona might give us some headaches, cuz of the homeboys (Russ and Ken). :wink02:

I agree. On the other hand, we have a defense used to playing against a Whiz offense so it could counteract.

Overall, I think the first four games are key and we pretty much have to win them all. After the bye week, we have three tough games in a row. Of course, that's on paper. The Broncos, pre-season favs to challenge in the AFC West, haven't looked very good and with the injuries and roster moves they are making, they could be an overrated team. Still, going into Denver and winning is never an easy task. We should have beaten them last year but beat ourselves.

To me, the toughest stretch is the last four. At Pats, Jags, at Rams, and at Ravens. Three of the last four are on the road against very good opponents. Jags are the weakest of the four but they always play us tough.

I think the schedule favors us to get rolling and build momentum. That's good. If we can limit the stupid turnovers, I think we will be in pretty good shape.

One thing I like is that we are winning in the preseason. Everyone says, "It's just the preseason," but winning can set up a winning attitude and tradition of victory and I think that's important. I also think it's an indicator of the team's mindset. Last year, we had no preseason wins and went 8-8. Two seasons ago, we went 3-1 and won a Super Bowl. Again, I know its just preseason but each step builds on the next. Strong preseason hopefully leads to a strong first five games which leads to a strong season.

Overly optimistic... maybe. I just like the way the schedule starts and I like where we are now compared to where we were at the same time last season.

Crushzilla
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I know 'every given sunday' is a clich? but I think the relative easiness of Pittsburghs opposition could be counteracted by having new coaches and some new schemes in play.

I guess what you are looking for is some steady improvement through the first half of the year.

Improve on what, you chew chomp?

The 6-2 ending to our season? (Probably moot with new coach)

The 3-1 preseason? (This is where I put "I realize preseason games don't matter" so no one has a coronary)

Increasing comfort and chemistry from week to week so everyone on the team knows everything about everyone else, tendencies, potential, jock size?

:spam:

They need to build the report, but I'm confused by your English Shaman tactica.

Michael Keller
08-29-2007, 11:00 AM
On the Bus replay is right on. Anything less than 4 and 1, Seattle could be the toughest game but we really should win all Five to establish Steelers are back. I will take 3 victoies in our last five games. I truly believ that we will end up at least 10-6.

Atlanta Dan
08-29-2007, 11:36 AM

According to this writer the 49ers are going to SB XLII, so winning at Heinz in September would be a statement game for the 49ers (of course, he also picks the Bengals to win the AFC North)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20454662/

IMO for the Steelers to make the playoffs they will need to be 4-1 going into the bye week after playing Seattle at home. I think the Steelers will lose at Arizona.

There is a lot of pressure for a strong start by the Steelers.

MACH1
08-29-2007, 12:16 PM
The niners and cards aren't going to be push overs and the clowns always play us tough. 4-0 would be nice but I think 3-1 is where we'll be.

delhess
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
3-1 will be acceptable, 2-2 would be downright scary!

TackleMeBen
08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
on paper the schedule looks easy for sept. however with a improved alex smith i dont think the 49ers are going to be an easy win. (man who do i pull for???? steelers or 49ers....lol) where is HTG when i need her help...lol

Crushzilla
08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
on paper the schedule looks easy for sept. however with a improved alex smith i dont think the 49ers are going to be an easy win. (man who do i pull for???? steelers or 49ers....lol) where is HTG when i need her help...lol

Pull for the Steelers. Enjoy the "eye candy."

Whether or not Alex Smith wins or loses he's still going to be "dreamy."

Right?

Right?

I mean. Beer. Engines. Testosterone.

ChronoCross
08-29-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree. On the other hand, we have a defense used to playing against a Whiz offense so it could counteract.

Overall, I think the first four games are key and we pretty much have to win them all. After the bye week, we have three tough games in a row. Of course, that's on paper. The Broncos, pre-season favs to challenge in the AFC West, haven't looked very good and with the injuries and roster moves they are making, they could be an overrated team. Still, going into Denver and winning is never an easy task. We should have beaten them last year but beat ourselves.

To me, the toughest stretch is the last four. At Pats, Jags, at Rams, and at Ravens. Three of the last four are on the road against very good opponents. Jags are the weakest of the four but they always play us tough.

I think the schedule favors us to get rolling and build momentum. That's good. If we can limit the stupid turnovers, I think we will be in pretty good shape.

One thing I like is that we are winning in the preseason. Everyone says, "It's just the preseason," but winning can set up a winning attitude and tradition of victory and I think that's important. I also think it's an indicator of the team's mindset. Last year, we had no preseason wins and went 8-8. Two seasons ago, we went 3-1 and won a Super Bowl. Again, I know its just preseason but each step builds on the next. Strong preseason hopefully leads to a strong first five games which leads to a strong season.

Overly optimistic... maybe. I just like the way the schedule starts and I like where we are now compared to where we were at the same time last season.

Actuayll Rams would be the easiest. They have horrible STs, and defense. They might have a high powered offense but we would take there running game from them and they would rely totally on the pass..

CantStop85
08-29-2007, 02:59 PM

I think you should change your username to TackleMeAlex and start a thread professing your love to the 49ers and Alex Smith...that always gets good conversation going. :wink02:

Steelman16
08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Looking at the first five, it looks like only the Cards and the Hawks will give us a real run for our money. The Cards have a good chance mostly because of their coaches. I'm just not sold on Leinert and Edge yet. When we play the Hawks, it's forever going to be messy after the SB, but I think we have the mental edge because we've beaten them before.

If we are 4-1 when we hit the Bye Week, I think that will (as long as everyone stays grounded and focused) propel us through the rest of the middle 7 games of the schedule, until those last 4 games. Basically, the year seems divided into 3 distinct parts. We need the first to act as the spring board so we can try to win at least 4 out of 7 in the middle, so we can come into those last 4 all fired up. I'm predicting we'll be 8-4 before those last 4 games, and possibly 10-6 afterwards.

TackleMeBen
08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I think you should change your username to TackleMeAlex and start a thread professing your love to the 49ers and Alex Smith...that always gets good conversation going. :wink02:
CS85, i love your avy (it fits my ex husband to a tee :wink02:)

thanks for the idea of a new screen name, but i like this one...lol

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/TackleMeBen.jpg

HometownGal
08-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hijack, but no one has ever answered my question as to whether hot air balloons really CAN procreate. :hunch:

Back on topic - sorry, TMB - I hope the Steelers make Alex Smith a turf pizza. Cute as he may be, he's the enemy when the Steelers are playing the Niners.

FastWillieParker39
08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
IMHO, it will be a dissapoint if the Steelers go less than 4-1 in the first 5 games. Yea those teams are scary and could upset us but we should be no worse than 4-1.

bigmaq
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
On the Bus replay is right on. Anything less than 4 and 1, Seattle could be the toughest game but we really should win all Five to establish Steelers are back. I will take 3 victoies in our last five games. I truly believ that we will end up at least 10-6.

Seattle will be no more challenging than the Niners. Rationale
1) Seattle does not travel well.
2) Seattle was swept by strong rushing teams last year.
3) With the rest of the NFC West having closed the gap on the Hawks they have no chance to catch their breaths
4) Niners made most of off season acquisitions
5) With addition of Jackson and improved second year play of Vernon Davis look for them to make some noise.
6) Most important - Niners swept Seattle last year with Gore having two career games. This year the Niners should be more balance with Gore also taking throws aka Tomlinson.
One final note - as a 60 yr Steeler fan who attended last Sat. Hawks - Vikes game (no I did not wear any black and gold - I was with the prodigal son who is a Hawks fan - yes, I have disowned him leaving everything to his younger brother who cherishes his Jack Ham shirt) the Hawks starting left CB Marcus Trufant was abused repeatedly. He misplayed three underthrown fades which were more his than the receiver's as well as failing to defense at least seven other throws.

TackleMeBen
08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hijack, but no one has ever answered my question as to whether hot air balloons really CAN procreate. :hunch:

Back on topic - sorry, TMB - I hope the Steelers make Alex Smith a turf pizza. Cute as he may be, he's the enemy when the Steelers are playing the Niners.

HTG, its ok. i know you have to pull for the home team:wink02:. i guess you helped me decide though :cheer::cheer:(a cheerleader for each team..lol.. problem solved.)lol

Livinginthe past
08-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Improve on what, you chew chomp?

The 6-2 ending to our season? (Probably moot with new coach)

The 3-1 preseason? (This is where I put "I realize preseason games don't matter" so no one has a coronary)

Increasing comfort and chemistry from week to week so everyone on the team knows everything about everyone else, tendencies, potential, jock size?

:spam:

They need to build the report, but I'm confused by your English Shaman tactica.

Whats eatin' you, Zilla?? You been inhaling too many grass clippings? :toofunny:

To answer your question I was referring to a gradual improvement in performance from week 1 onwards ...week 2 better than week 1.....week 3 better than week 2......week...well you get the idea!

I think last years finish is pretty much irrelevant, at least the pre-season shows them areas that need attention (even though pre-season means, like, totally nothing man!).

Oh....its rapport...not report ya pleb! :wink02:

I still owe you one for picking Nate in my FF team!