PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Predictions

Atlanta Dan
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
ESPN has its "expert picks" up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview07/news/story?id=2984130

Merrill Hoge picks the Steelers to win the division and a few others give the Black & Gold a wildcard, but not a lot of love otherwise

Of the 16 "experts" nobody picks Indy to win the AFC, let alone repeat. Most pick the Pats.

Theismann (he got canned - why is he still even on the ESPN site?) picks the Ravens to win it all.:dang:

The Duke
08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow, Pasquarelli thinks is possible for Woodley to be DROY, we are on the map people, the media hasn't forgotten us :tt02:. That said, if Woodley was a starter and continued to play like he has all summer then I could see him being crowned:king: DROY. He's definitely making some eyes open outside steeler nation, I think even Madden mentioned something about him in the eagles game, although it was maybe a remark about how he's wearing Joey's old number :dang:

Stillers33
08-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice atleast they say we're making the playoffs

Crushzilla
08-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice atleast they say we're making the playoffs

Nah. You have it all wrong, my friend. Its when they say we WON'T make the playoffs that we blow up.

Ya. Surprised to see the love from Len, but he's a moron, so I don't know what to think. My head is spinning.

delhess
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
it's preseason guys, this is like trying to predict the stock market or the weather. it's a calculated guess. (except new england, that's a lock)

fansince'76
08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
ESPN slobbing the Pats' collective knob? What else is new?

Livinginthe past
08-30-2007, 12:53 AM
I have no idea where all this ridiculous media enthusiasm for the Patriots has come from!

Just because they have been the most consistent postseason performers in recent history, have had an exceptional (on paper thus far) offseason in terms of adding talent, have managed to keep their coaching team intact for the first time in what seems like years.....just because of all these crazy, subjective things.....its absolutely no reason to make them the clear favorite to win it all.

I think there needs to be some type of investigation into this baseless homerism.

Heads must roll.

Atlanta Dan
08-30-2007, 01:53 AM
I have no idea where all this ridiculous media enthusiasm for the Patriots has come from!

Just because they have been the most consistent postseason performers in recent history, have had an exceptional (on paper thus far) offseason in terms of adding talent, have managed to keep their coaching team intact for the first time in what seems like years.....just because of all these crazy, subjective things.....its absolutely no reason to make them the clear favorite to win it all.

I think there needs to be some type of investigation into this baseless homerism.

Heads must roll.

LITP - Nothing lasts forever

Livinginthe past
08-30-2007, 03:04 AM
LITP - Nothing lasts forever

Well, that sounds kinda deep.

Not sure if it is though.

Let me think on it.

Atlanta Dan
08-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Well, that sounds kinda deep.

Not sure if it is though.

Let me think on it.

I will elaborate with a reference to another veteran NFL team that was a media darling in an earlier era.

Coming off 4 SB wins in 6 years in 1980 the Steelers were regarded as being as talented as ever going into the 1980 season. Of course, that team went 8-8 that year and started to break up shortly thereafter. During that season, I specifically recall a Monday night loss to the Raiders (who won the SB that season) in which the Steelers coughed up an early lead as Plunkett torched the secondary. At some point in the second half of that game I recall Cosell intoning that nothing lasts forever.

With regard to the Pats, the offense has upgraded but the loss last January to the Colts was not due to an inability to score, it was due to the collapse of an aging defense. Thomas has been added at LB but players such as Vrabel and Bruschci are well into their twilight years.

My point is that past performance is no guarantee of future results and the knee jerk SB pick of a Patriots team that has some definite age by so many pundits seems to ignore the problems on D that IMO have not been fixed. The Pats are good but I do not see them as so much better than the rest of the league that they are such an overwhelming favorite to win among the ESPN "experts." The 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, and 90s Cowboys all fell off - Belichick is a great coach but he cannot stop the ineveitable cycle of decline.

Livinginthe past
08-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I will elaborate with a reference to another veteran NFL team that was a media darling in an earlier era.

Coming off 4 SB wins in 6 years in 1980 the Steelers were regarded as being as talented as ever going into the 1980 season. Of course, that team went 8-8 that year and started to break up shortly thereafter. During that season, I specifically recall a Monday night loss to the Raiders (who won the SB that season) in which the Steelers coughed up an early lead as Plunkett torched the secondary. At some point in the second half of that game I recall Cosell intoning that nothing lasts forever.

With regard to the Pats, the offense has upgraded but the loss last January to the Colts was not due to an inability to score, it was due to the collapse of an aging defense. Thomas has been added at LB but players such as Vrabel and Bruschci are well into their twilight years.

My point is that past performance is no guarantee of future results and the knee jerk SB pick of a Patriots team that has some definite age by so many pundits seems to ignore the problems on D that IMO have not been fixed. The Pats are good but I do not see them as so much better than the rest of the league that they are such an overwhelming favorite to win among the ESPN "experts." The 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, and 90s Cowboys all fell off - Belichick is a great coach but he cannot stop the ineveitable cycle of decline.

My main point of contention is that the Patriots are not a team version of Michael Vick or the Cincy Bengals - the plaudits and praise they receive are based upon real achievement and not media hype.

I think alot of people, if they were able to put they homeristic tendencies on hold, would pick the Patriots as 'most likely' winners of this years SB - but thats a long way from making then 'dead certs' or anything else that has people making facetious comments such as ' we might aswell just give them the trophy now...'

The fact that 8 out of 12 (or whatever it was) of the ESPN pundits picked them as 'most likely to win' doesn't mean that ESPN as a whole thinks we have a 60/70% chance of winning.

The Patriots have long been anything but 'media darlings' - the media was quite happy to embrace the 'plucky underdog' image of the Patriots in 2001 but wasn't comfortable with actually giving them any genuine credibility as the 'best team playing the game'.

Thats why we (football fans of all teams) have had to suffer from all this nonsense about how the Patriots win because 'they don't have any stars' and other such crap.

The media are just as keen as always to see a team brought to its knees - it just seems a natural part of the beast - the Patriots are no different.

I could almost guarantee that should the Patriots start poorly then al we will see is headlines about Randy Moss 'team cancer', Brady losing his focus on football, and a team who got away from its policy of not having any stars.

Whether you put any credence into the story that a flu bug had decimated the Patriots lockerroom against the Colts, is up to the individual, but for sure that wasn't the same LBers and safeties corps in the second half that the Patriots would like to play.

The Safeties were 3rd stringers and the LBers not much better - I doubt the Steelers would be so competitive if you pulled James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel, Anthony Smith, Ryan Clark from the starting line up half way through a game against the Colts in a dome.

Vrabel and Bruschi and rest of the starting LBers remain excellent starters, though I agree the depth is suspect.

The D-line and DB corps remains young and strong however - no team is flawless - the D is certainly not ageing as a whole.

So sure, nothing last forvever, but it seems a pretty weak illogical reason to suppose the Patriots shouldn't be favorites heading into the new season.

vasteeler
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
man i hate the patriots!!!!

rbryan
08-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Heads must roll.

You might want to double check the MOST recent history lol.

I've lauched my own investigation on the ESPN conspiracy theory, I'll let you know the results asap.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM

Heads must roll.

Dont get too excited...Keep in mind that this is the same media outlet that keeps describing last year #8 ranked Bengals offense as "high octane"...and the #7 ranked Steelers as "struggling":dang:

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 12:48 AM
man i hate the patriots!!!!

You need to post your thoughts more often - you are truly robbing the internet community of some stunning insights.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 12:50 AM
You might want to double check the MOST recent history lol.

I've lauched my own investigation on the ESPN conspiracy theory, I'll let you know the results asap.

Last I checked the Patriots got beat in the AFCCG - seeing as thats one step short of the actual SB I'd say that maintains a good level of consistency.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Dont get too excited...Keep in mind that this is the same media outlet that keeps describing last year #8 ranked Bengals offense as "high octane"...and the #7 ranked Steelers as "struggling":dang:

Who's getting excited?

Not me.

And certainly not by power rankings and predictions.

ShutDown24
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
The Patriots are gonna bomb...

rog
08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
it's preseason guys, this is like trying to predict the stock market or the weather. it's a calculated guess. (except new england, that's a lock)

Thank you. Whatever happened to just watching the games and the season play out? Does everything need a power ranking or to be "predicted". Alot of the time the experts are wrong anyway.

Jman
08-31-2007, 10:49 AM
No disrespect to the Patriot fan here on the board, but there is a bunch of "hoopla" going on about a team that racked up a bunch of great players. That's pretty much the basis of it. Will they win 10 games? I think so, and probably more, but I don't see them going to SB.

ESPN...those letters make me laugh.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
No disrespect to the Patriot fan here on the board, but there is a bunch of "hoopla" going on about a team that racked up a bunch of great players. That's pretty much the basis of it. Will they win 10 games? I think so, and probably more, but I don't see them going to SB.

ESPN...those letters make me laugh.

I have no probelm with people predicting, or even pulling, against the Patriots.

I'd be interested in why you thought the Patriots might win more than 10 games (they won 12 last year and most people would say they have gotten better this year) but then fail to win the SB - picking against one team is pretty safe.

Who do you think will win it all?

rog
08-31-2007, 02:06 PM
The Pats have to be the favorites right now. They are going to win alot of games the one thing I could see being a problem for them is their LB. It is a long season and their LB are all on the wrong side of 30 except for Thomas if I'm not mistaken about that , but their age could catch up to them come playoff time (even though they will probably have a bye).

rbryan
08-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Of course ESPN wants you to think the Patsies are the favorite going into the season. That way when they manipulate the games it will be less noticeable to the masses who have already been drinking the kool-aid all year.

Oh how I long for the good old days when the Patsies were the doormats of the league, you know, pretty much thier entire existance until ESPN became larger than life (Theres your first clue) and began to control the outcome of sports in America.

The ESPN conspiracy is alive and well, at least in my mind. lol

vasteeler
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
You need to post your thoughts more often - you are truly robbing the internet community of some stunning insights.

no need to be rude
and i stll hate the patriots!!!

Livinginthe past
09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
no need to be rude
and i stll hate the patriots!!!

Ha ok.

At least you picked up on the sarcasm..which is something..

Hate away.

warddj86
09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
You know how much i love doing these

AFC East : New England Patriots
AFC South: Indianapolis Colts
AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers (unless the Ravens get Leftwich)
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC Wild Cards: Baltimore Ravens; Denver Broncos
NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles
NFC North: Chicago Bears
NFC South: New Orleans Saints
NFC West: St. Louis Rams
NFC Wild Cards: Seattle Seahawks; Dallas Cowboys
AFC Champion: New England Patriots
NFC Champion: New Orleans Saints
Super Bowl Champions: New Orleans Saints 31-28
Coach of the Year: Mike Tomlin
MVP: Steven Jackson
Offensive Player of the Year: Peyton Manning
Defensive Player of the Year: Troy Polamalu (with Joey Porter gone, he'll take on the load and he will suceed)
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Marshawn Lynch
Defensive Rookie of the Year: LaRon Landry
Surprise Team in the AFC: Denver Broncos
Surprise Team in the NFC:St. Louis Rams
Breakout Player in the AFC: Thomas Jones, New York Jets
Breakout Player in the NFC: Robert Meachem, New Orleans Saints
Disappointment of the AFC: Cincinnatti Bengals
Disappointment of the NFC: New York Giants
First Pick of the 2008 Draft: Cleveland Browns
Second Pick of the 2008 Draft: Houston Texans
Thirty- First Pick of the 2008 Draft: Baltimore Ravens

Brady
Really
Obviously
Will
Not
Start

vasteeler
09-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Ha ok.

At least you picked up on the sarcasm..which is something..

Hate away.

oh.... i see...... your just an a-hole:dang: