PDA

View Full Version : Another Steeler arrives at Arizona...

The Duke
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Arizona Cardinals: Punter Scott Player, the Cardinals' longest-tenured veteran in both seasons and games played, was released by the team on Wednesday.

The 37-year-old Player appeared in 140 games in his nine seasons with the Cardinals. He has punted 714 times for 30,752 yards and a 43.1-yard average. Player was selected to the Pro Bowl following the 2000 season, his third with the team.

"It's never easy to part ways with a veteran who has contributed to the team for as long as Scott has," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "At the same time, you have to make decisions based on what's in the best interests of the football team and we feel this move is."

Player will be replaced by Mike Barr, picked up on a waiver claim Tuesday. Barr was released Monday by Pittsburgh. The 28-year-old Barr has never appeared in an NFL regular-season game.

He punted six times for 270 yards, a 45.0-yard average, during the preseason for the Steelers. The Rutgers product spent the 2004-06 seasons in NFL Europe with the Frankfurt Galaxy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2996850

I knew Barr would get a job somewhere, should have thought Wiz would want him. Should we bring back the Card-Pitt already :banana:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
How many is that now? Bailey, Morey and now Mike Barr. Am I missing anyone else?

The Duke
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
How many is that now? Bailey, Morey and now Mike Barr. Am I missing anyone else?

The coaches :wink02:

TackleMeBen
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
looks like the cardinals will be the steelers rejects now... lol

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2007, 09:39 PM
looks like the cardinals will be the steelers rejects now... lol

LOL!!!!

tony hipchest
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
oliver ross is down and i think i heard the ravens cut keydrick vincent (not positive though).

final cutdowns arent complete. you could possibly see kreider, haynes, young, okolbi, essex or starks in a ravens uniform. i think iwouma has been representing the special teams as captain in pre season, so maybe he is safe from being banished to the desert. not that thats a bad thing.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM

Yeah add Faneca for 2008

83-Steelers-43
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Glad to see somebody pick him up....

Cardinals release Player, longest-tenured Cardinal
Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals released punter Scott Player, the team's longest-tenured veteran in both seasons and games played.

The 37-year-old Player joined the team in 1998 and appeared in 140 games in nine seasons with the Cardinals. He has punted 714 times for 30,752 yards and a 43.1-yard average. Player was selected to the Pro Bowl following the 2000 season, his third with the team.

"It's never easy to part ways with a veteran who has contributed to the team for as long as Scott has," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "At the same time, you have to make decisions based on what's in the best interests of the football team and we feel this move is."

Player will be replaced by Mike Barr, picked up on a waiver claim Tuesday. Barr was released Monday by Pittsburgh. The 28-year-old Barr has never appeared in an NFL regular-season game.

He punted six times for 270 yards, a 45.0-yard average, during the preseason for the Steelers. The Rutgers product spent the 2004-06 seasons in NFL Europa with the Frankfurt Galaxy.

http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story?id=09000d5d801ed6b9&template=without-video&confirm=true

Atlanta Dan
08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
If you ever played for the Steelers Whiz will sign you up even if you were never on the team while he was there

Think the agents for Okobi and Haynes have Whiz on speed dial?

Atlanta Dan
08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
It appears Ed.B. from the P-G is not yet on board with the Sepulveda pick:sofunny:

Let the parade of Steelers to Arizona begin. The Cardinals signed punter Mike Barr after the Steelers released him the past week. And it did not even cost them a draft pick, never mind two of them in the fourth and sixth rounds. Barr outpunted Daniel Sepulveda in the first four preseason games, but there was never a chance the Steelers were going to keep him.

They should have kept Barr last season when he was in their third training camp. Instead, they hung on to Chris Gardocki one season too long. Had they kept Barr, they likely would have used their draft picks in the fourth and sixth rounds on real football players.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

Anthony_Smith27
08-30-2007, 06:41 PM
ed is a jerk off, i can't stand him, he thinks he's the shit........ d-sep with two torn blown out knees >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mike barr

and it's not like there was anyone in the sixth round that would've made an impact, this year we only got two potential impact players on second day and that's d-sep and gay, gay will make an impact on special teams only though......... ed needs to break his hands so he can't type anymore

Atlanta Dan
08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
ed is a jerk off, i can't stand him, he thinks he's the shit........ d-sep with two torn blown out knees >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mike barr

and it's not like there was anyone in the sixth round that would've made an impact, this year we only got two potential impact players on second day and that's d-sep and gay, gay will make an impact on special teams only though......... ed needs to break his hands so he can't type anymore

C'mon tell us what you really think - quit holding back :sofunny:

Anthony_Smith27
08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
tonight's stats

mike barr's stats: 5 punts, 38.4 avg per punt, a long of 50 and 1 inside the 20

d-sep stats: 9 punts, 48 avg, a long of 57 (he also had two 54 yarders) and 2 inside the 20........ and d-sep recovered a fumble

i think he's been well worth the 2 draft picks, he had one shank, but even the best punter in the league matt mcbriar shanked a few in his rookie season

matt barr will never be on the level of d-sep, and the cards will be looking for a new punter in two years........probably a new coach too lol

so **** ed bouadfasdfas wtfever his last name is lol

verks36
08-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Just goes to the cause that the cardinals are the JV steelers.

If we dont want em the cards will be more than happy and give him a roster spot. They will even go as far at cut their longest and most loyal veteran

Preacher
08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Just goes to the cause that the cardinals are the JV steelers.

If we dont want em the cards will be more than happy and give him a roster spot. They will even go as far at cut their longest and most loyal veteran

:sofunny::sofunny:

JV steelers...

How in the world can a person think that Barr is better then Sep? Because of ONE shanked punt? ONE?

Sad. really sad. Don't worry Ed, the season starts soon... you will have a lot more to second guess the new coach about.

What is the over/under for Ed stating that Tomlin was chosen because he was black? 6 weeks? 7 weeks? First loss? Third loss?

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 04:33 AM
:How in the world can a person think that Barr is better then Sep? Because of ONE shanked punt? ONE?

Agreed - I was under the impression that Ed B. was by far the most credible of the local Pittsburgh sportswriters until I read that. Barr's a good punter, but to suggest that he is a better punter than Sep at this point is ridiculous. Barr has never consistently boomed close-to-60 yarders the way this kid has. And I guess "holding on to Gardocki a year too long" (a point I happen to agree with) was Tomlin's fault, even though he was employed in Minnesota during the year in question. This article moves him a bit closer to the level of Smizik and Cook in my eyes.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2007, 08:25 AM
:sofunny::sofunny:

JV steelers...

How in the world can a person think that Barr is better then Sep? Because of ONE shanked punt? ONE?

Sad. really sad. Don't worry Ed, the season starts soon... you will have a lot more to second guess the new coach about.

What is the over/under for Ed stating that Tomlin was chosen because he was black? 6 weeks? 7 weeks? First loss? Third loss?

You are confusing Ed.B. with Ron Cook :smile:

Ron Cook: Were others 'ruled' out by Rooney?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

It's one thing if Mike Tomlin got the Steelers' job because he's the best candidate. If he is, that's terrific. Welcome to Pittsburgh. Best of luck. End of story.

But what if Tomlin isn't necessarily the best choice? What if he got the job because Steelers owner Dan Rooney cares just a little more about his NFL legacy than about his franchise? What if Tomlin got the job, at least in part, because of the Rooney Rule?

Would that be disturbing?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756022-87.stm

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall Bouchette ever playing the race card with regard to Tomlin being hired. Perhaps you can point out where Ed.B. has channeled Cook and made those sorts of scurrilous arguments in the past.

stlrtruck
08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Don't blame The Whiz on this one. I mean I thought Matt Barr would have been our punter this year until we pick up Sepulveda. Barr isn't that bad of a punter and definitely has a few years left in the leg that he truly hasn't used.

Jman
08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm tired of Ed's rant and cry me a river act about picking a punter. The special teams were a joke the past few years. It's good to see a coach grabbing a punter who will be there for the next 5 seasons and probably more.

I like Ed's writing; most times its decent. But think is basically like the Tiki Barber Giants drama - get over it. Move on.