PDA

View Full Version : ben still overlooking opponents?

tony hipchest
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM
i only find this little debate significant because i think this attitude was what caused us (and more specifically, ben) to lose the game against the raiders last year as opposed to a concussion....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_524784.html

Brown: John, what is wrong with this picture? The starting quarterback has to sneak up to a meeting room so he can watch tape of the team (that, by the way, is applied loosely to the Cleveland Browns) that the Steelers will play in their regular-season opener. Geez, I can see Mike Tomlin telling us media hacks that the Steelers aren't mailing in their final preseason games but telling his players not to look past the Panthers and ahead to the Browns? Tonight's game is for the players that are fighting for a roster spot and not much else. Let Ben Roethlisberger get a jump on preparing for the Browns if that's what he wants. Heck, encourage him to do that.

Harris: Tomlin said he wants the players to focus on preparing for a short week featuring a Thursday night game following a Sunday contest. It just so happens the Steelers play a Sunday game at home against Jacksonville on Dec. 16 followed by a Thursday night contest at St. Louis. If Tomlin wants his players to focus, let them focus. When you allow Tomlin to write the leads to your articles, maybe he'll let you coach his team. Besides, the Steelers are playing the Cleveland Browns featuring the three-headed quarterback tandem of Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. Enough said.

as level headed and focussed on the next game i thought the steelers always were the biggest downfall i saw last season was that they always were looking ahead to that stage in miami (SBXLI) as opposed to next weeks opponent. they seemed to think it was their birthrights as champs.

That said, I do admire Tomlin for staying consistent with what he told his team when he first got the job, that essentially they can't overlook any steps in what he calls "the process" even ones as insignificant as a final preseason game.

a very old school, cowheresque quote if you ask me.

so... let the debate continue. is tomlin being foolish by focussing bens attention on a meaningless game and taking it away from the browns?

or is he wise to divert all attention to next weeks opponent (no matter how insignificant they may be) and not let the team get ahead of themselves and overlook the simple "process"?

i think tomlin is setting a great tone. this week is no bye week, just like last years game vs the raiders wasnt a bye week.

mental.apparition
08-29-2007, 10:52 PM
as level headed and focussed on the next game i thought the steelers always were the biggest downfall i saw last season was that they always were looking ahead to that stage in miami (SBXLI) as opposed to next weeks opponent. they seemed to think it was their birthrights as champs.
I can't find a reason to even debate your statement. I think it was clear last year the Steelers organization thought most teams were going to roll over and play dead for the champs.

so... let the debate continue. is tomlin being foolish by focussing bens attention on a meaningless game and taking it away from the browns?

or is he wise to divert all attention to next weeks opponent (no matter how insignificant they may be) and not let the team get ahead of themselves and overlook the simple "process"?

i think tomlin is setting a great tone. this week is no bye week, just like last years game vs the raiders wasnt a bye week.
Here I can make an argument. :flap:

I agree with Tomlin stressing the process. MT has to settle the team into "his way" and I have no problem with that. But...

It's the last game of pre-season. How long will it take Ben to work the limited game plan MT might have set up for the 2 or maybe 3 series Ben is likely to see? If Ben gets with that program I find it ridiculous a coach would discourage his young QB from doing more...from going above and beyond, if you will.

MACH1
08-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I think its good to get them into a weekly routine preparing for the next game. It might help to keep from over looking teams like the raiders last year.

T.J.
08-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I like the way tomlin has settled things this year. But i dont think lookin ahead to the next game is going to hurt ben in any way, yea mabey take his focus off a little bit but its only a pre season game, in the regular season i could understand. But i'll let tomlin work his shit here and see where he leads us but so far its not lookin bad.

Galax Steeler
08-30-2007, 03:33 AM
I like the way tomlin has settled things this year. But i dont think lookin ahead to the next game is going to hurt ben in any way, yea mabey take his focus off a little bit but its only a pre season game, in the regular season i could understand. But i'll let tomlin work his shit here and see where he leads us but so far its not lookin bad.

Agreed they are only going to play a quarter why not prepare for next week.

delhess
08-30-2007, 05:04 AM
I think its good to get them into a weekly routine preparing for the next game. It might help to keep from over looking teams like the raiders last year.

i agree, if this is a practice game, then you should practice like it's real. isn't that the point. routine is very important i believe and they should stick to the plan.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-30-2007, 05:57 AM
To be honest Tony...I am not as worried about Ben's desire to look at the Cleveland tapes...as I am about his apparant insubordinate approach to Tomlins leadership.

WisconsinSteelerMan
08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I am not concerned at Ben looking forward past the Pathers to the Browns at this point. Now, if I hear about that during the regular season, then I would say that it is a problem.

I do agree with Lamberts-lost-tooth that "sneaking around" the coach to look at the tape is not the way to do things, but we'll see how it plays out!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

TackleMeBen
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
people fuss b/c they said he didnt spend enough time watching film and now that he wants to watch film people are saying that he is being insubordinate to coach tomlin. you cant have it both ways.. and yet again no matter what ben does its wrong.. the poor boy will never be able to do anything to please. this is a preseason game against the sucky panthers, so i wouldnt care if he wanted to get a heads up on the actual game.. you know a game the actually means something in the standings.

StinkyB
08-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I can't find a reason to even debate your statement. I think it was clear last year the Steelers organization thought most teams were going to roll over and play dead for the champs.

I am not sure they were THAT ****y about it.

HometownGal
08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
people fuss b/c they said he didnt spend enough time watching film and now that he wants to watch film people are saying that he is being insubordinate to coach tomlin. you cant have it both ways.. and yet again no matter what ben does its wrong.. the poor boy will never be able to do anything to please. this is a preseason game against the sucky panthers, so i wouldnt care if he wanted to get a heads up on the actual game.. you know a game the actually means something in the standings.

If you've been a Steelers fan for any length of time, you know that Steelers fans are exceptionally (and a lot of the time unfairly) hard on their QBs - goes way back to the Bradshaw era.

Ben is not perfect - he has his +'s and his -'s. Personally, I'm not going to form a solid opinion on his play this season until after Week 6, but that's just me. Fans need to realize, however, that he is just one wheel in the offensive "cog".

HometownGal
08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Just watched a clip of an interview with Bruce Arians who said that he feels Ben is ready to step into the "elite category". He also said that he is very pleased with Ben's progression in the preseason and feels he is quite capable of leading the Steelers to the SB this season. :tt02::tt02:

Stlrs4Life
08-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think it matters either way. So, he wanted to get a jump on film of the Browns?

stillers4me
08-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Considering the Browns is a must win game and Panthers is not......I really don't see what the big deal is. Ben probably won't be playing long in the Panthers game anyway.

Sports writers just love to nit pick.

43Hitman
08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I think that you only play as well as you practice. So I have to agree with Tomlin here.