PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: "We are Super Bowl material"

Edman
08-30-2007, 01:26 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07242/813310-66.stm

At least we know our Steelers are confident. They kind of share the same vibe as us fans. They're not an 8-8 team. But talk is easy. You say you're SB material, show up and show the league and the fans that '06 was just a fluke. Show the Ratbirds that 2006 was just a fluke. Show the Clowns on opening day that they still suck, Limit the stupid penalties, and finally, limit the stupid turnovers.

Livinginthe past
08-30-2007, 03:07 AM
I dunno. I'd say you were an 8-8 team.

Thats the kinda denial thats leads (when perpetrated by the players/coaches) to ....well....8-8 seasons.

Galax Steeler
08-30-2007, 03:36 AM
we can only go as far as ben will take us he has to keep interceptions down and play smart football.

delhess
08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
we can only go as far as ben will take us he has to keep interceptions down and play smart football.

right, ben and the o-line go hand in hand

83-Steelers-43
08-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Well I would hope they feel they are Super Bowl material. I would be a little disappointed if they stated/felt they were a 6-10 football team.

Interviewer: Well, do you guys feel you are Super Bowl material?

Hines Ward: Nah man. We are a 6-10 football team. Don't bother watching us. We stink.

HometownGal
08-30-2007, 07:57 AM
While it is great that the guys appear to have a lot of confidence in themselves and each other, I hope they don't go into this season as overconfident. I truly believe their "swollen heads" from winning SB XL in 2005 was a factor in their poor play last season, especially in the first half.

One game at a time. :tt02:

Mosca
08-30-2007, 08:09 AM

Thats the kinda denial thats leads (when perpetrated by the players/coaches) to ....well....8-8 seasons.

No, we were an 8-8 team last year. This year, every team is potential Super Bowl material. And if they don't feel that way right now, they aren't.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't; you're right.

Tom

onthebus36
08-30-2007, 08:15 AM
No, we were an 8-8 team last year. This year, every team is potential Super Bowl material. And if they don't feel that way right now, they aren't.Tom

Amen. I would be worried if the team didn't have the goal of making it to the Super Bowl. Isn't that the point of the season? To win a championship?

DACEB
08-30-2007, 08:59 AM

An 8-8 team that was among only three teams to be in the top 10 in both overall offense and defense. The other two teams, the 12-4 Pats and the 14-2 Chargers, pretty good company.

Livinginthe past
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
An 8-8 team that was among only three teams to be in the top 10 in both overall offense and defense. The other two teams, the 12-4 Pats and the 14-2 Chargers, pretty good company.

Thats all pretty meaningless when your QB keeps throwing the ball to the opposition, your ST keep fumbling, the whole teams suffers from a collective lack of discipline.....those are hall marks of a mediocre team.

I suspect the 'offense' rankings were based upon yardage gained - most probably because they trailed so often in games finding new ways to lose every other week.

Regardless, as Mosca says, last year was last year - their have been enough changes in Pittsburgh this year to almost totally discount it.

Borski
08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Well I would hope they feel they are Super Bowl material. I would be a little disappointed if they stated/felt they were a 6-10 football team.

Interviewer: Well, do you guys feel you are Super Bowl material?

Hines Ward: Nah man. We are a 6-10 football team. Don't bother watching us. We stink.

That actually sounds like some funny sarcasm, I would laugh if he said that:sofunny:

TackleMeBen
08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
While it is great that the guys appear to have a lot of confidence in themselves and each other, I hope they don't go into this season as overconfident. I truly believe their "swollen heads" from winning SB XL in 2005 was a factor in their poor play last season, especially in the first half.

One game at a time. :tt02:
i agree, i also think if our qb hadnt decided to presue a new career as a stunt man we could have done a little better than 8-8 and he wouldnt have been color blinded...lol..

StinkyB
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm saying we are a 9-7 team this year. Ben doesn't seem to be making those brilliant decisions he made in his rookie season. He doesn't look 100% comfy in the pocket, althugh he isn't as sketchy as last year. And Parker looks to be back to the fumbling ways.

Good team, just not Super Bowl bound.

StinkyB
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM
and for giggles.......

REGULAR SEASON
Sept. 9 Steelers 24 @ Browns 16
Sept 16 Bills 12 @ Steelers 20
Sunday, Sept. 23 49ers 27 @Steelers 10
Sunday, Sept. 30 Steelers 34 @ Cardinals 24
Sunday, Oct. 7 . Seahawks 38 @ Steelers 29
Sunday, Oct. 14 Bye Week
Sunday, Oct. 21 Steelers 16 @ Broncos 22
Sunday, Oct. 28 Steelers 34 @ Bengals 20 1
Monday, Nov. 5 Ravens 19 @ Steelers 9
Sunday, Nov. 11 Browns 3 @ Steelers 24
Sunday, Nov. 18* Steelers 31 @ Jets 28
Monday, Nov. 26 Dolphins 12 @ Steelers 13
Sunday, Dec. 2* Bengals 42 @ Steelers 32
Sunday, Dec. 9* Steelers 14 @ Patriots 24
Sunday, Dec. 16* Jaguars 6 @ Steelers 16
Thursday, Dec. 20 Steelers 36 @ Rams 27
Sunday, Dec. 30 Steelers 12@ Ravens 19

delhess
08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
and for giggles.......

REGULAR SEASON
Sept. 9 Steelers 24 @ Browns 16
Sept 16 Bills 12 @ Steelers 20
Sunday, Sept. 23 49ers 27 @Steelers 10
Sunday, Sept. 30 Steelers 34 @ Cardinals 24
Sunday, Oct. 7 . Seahawks 38 @ Steelers 29
Sunday, Oct. 14 Bye Week
Sunday, Oct. 21 Steelers 16 @ Broncos 22
Sunday, Oct. 28 Steelers 34 @ Bengals 20 1
Monday, Nov. 5 Ravens 19 @ Steelers 9
Sunday, Nov. 11 Browns 3 @ Steelers 24
Sunday, Nov. 18* Steelers 31 @ Jets 28
Monday, Nov. 26 Dolphins 12 @ Steelers 13
Sunday, Dec. 2* Bengals 42 @ Steelers 32
Sunday, Dec. 9* Steelers 14 @ Patriots 24
Sunday, Dec. 16* Jaguars 6 @ Steelers 16
Thursday, Dec. 20 Steelers 36 @ Rams 27
Sunday, Dec. 30 Steelers 12@ Ravens 19

we split the ravens, and for god's sake we beat the 49ers at home. that would make 11 wins :)

StinkyB
08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I had San Fran as that one game that you expect to win at home and end up blowing it like the Jax game in 2005.

I had the Ravens beating us twice based on hows they absolutley man handled us twice last year.

Steely Dan Tshirt
08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I agree with the players. I think the Steelers are Super Bowl material. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll win the SB. I thought Ben made some things happen outside the pocket last Sunday night, which was exactly what he did his first two years in the league....a good sign. The O-line are all basically playing for their future, in Pittsburgh or elsewhere, but usually when players are put into "contract year" situations they tend to play their best ball. Hines has been healthy, Holmes has made strides, Wilson, like the o-line, is playing for future employment. Maybe Pittsburgh maybe not, but it's resonable to expect, he may have his best season yet. On the D side, I couldn't be any more impressed with the way they've played in the pre-season. They've been very physical and fast to the football. They will keep us in every game and Ben will make plays. Just like he did before the accident. The confidence will grow and they'll get on a roll. 12-4 and a deep playoff run is what i see. With a little luck, just like '05, they could be there. 8-8 last year, with 2 less int's and 2 less fumbled punts, they're 10-6 or 11-5, and didn't even play inspired ball. I think this will be a fun season. Jump on NOW and enjoy the ride.
peaceonyou

X-Terminator
08-31-2007, 12:07 AM
I had San Fran as that one game that you expect to win at home and end up blowing it like the Jax game in 2005.

I had the Ravens beating us twice based on hows they absolutley man handled us twice last year.

Which means exactly jack and shit this season. And there's no way in hell the Jailcats put up 42 points on the Steelers at home. Whatever it is you're smokin', pass some of that shiznit over here.

At any rate, I predict 10-6 and a playoff berth.

jjpro11
08-31-2007, 12:53 AM
I'm saying we are a 9-7 team this year. Ben doesn't seem to be making those brilliant decisions he made in his rookie season. He doesn't look 100% comfy in the pocket, althugh he isn't as sketchy as last year. And Parker looks to be back to the fumbling ways.

Good team, just not Super Bowl bound.

he looked like pure shit in the 04 and 05 preseasons as well, but ended up having solid seasons.. im beginning to think he doesnt take preseason all that seriously. he seems more concerned about his health than standing in the pocket and taking an unnecessary hit.

im not trying to make excuses for him... but he just hasnt shown consistency in being able to predict his regular season performance based on his preseason performance.

Preacher
08-31-2007, 03:26 AM
he looked like pure shit in the 04 and 05 preseasons as well, but ended up having solid seasons.. im beginning to think he doesnt take preseason all that seriously. he seems more concerned about his health than standing in the pocket and taking an unnecessary hit.

im not trying to make excuses for him... but he just hasnt shown consistency in being able to predict his regular season performance based on his preseason performance.

And that... ironically, is the one thing that is predictable.