PDA

View Full Version : An almost complete lack of Knowledge...

taffysaint
08-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Hi All!

Just registered here, thought I would say hi. I'm a Welshman living in Surrey(UK). kind of randomly picked the Steelers as my NFL team of choice about 4 years ago or so - one of my best mates is a lifelong 49ers fan and kept badgering me into watching the games - anyway, gave it a chance and once I had a vague idea what was going on really enjoyed it. Rather than just follow said 49ers freak, I told him to list the available teams. Anyway, long story short I picked the Steelers based on the fact they weren't called 'Chargers' or 'Warriors' or some bizarrely unrelated yet macho animal - the name actually relates in some real way to the city.

Also their kit is cool.

OK, so I still know virtually nothing about the game or who plays it - I did pick up a Roethlisberger jersey when in Pitt in January but sadly this did not imbue me with NFL wisdom (I did get a sudden urge to ride a motorbike without a helmet..... :dang:). I've been roped into a fantasy league, where I cleverly traded Randy Moss for Wes Welker - so you see I really do know absolutely nothing!

Anyway, I am going to be following this season properly (I need to get some use out of my NFL jersey!) and checking out as many Sky Sports games as I can. I also have Madden '08 on pre-order so I'm sure I'll be an expert in a matter of days. ;) Luckily for you, you probably won't hear much from me as I'll be reading all your stuff in order to pick more things up.

Matt

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Welcome.

Aussie_steeler
08-30-2007, 06:26 AM
G;day mate. Cheers from down under

You have made a number of great choices.

1. Becoming a steelers fan
2. Signing up to the greatest steelers forum

Welcome aboard and look forward to your posts

fansince'76
08-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the board, Matt! :cheers:

If you have any questions or concerns about the site, please feel free to PM (Private Message) myself or one of the other mods. Post often and have fun!

taffysaint
08-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Well I'm also a St George and St Helens fan in RL, so you may counter that statement depending on your allegiances Aussie_steeler lol!

i was quite gutted I didn't get a Polamalu jersey when i had the opportunity and had to settle for Ben - albeit at a mere 32 bucks! :p

Aussie_steeler
08-30-2007, 07:29 AM
If you are a rugby league fan check out the news on Andrew Johns. He has just admitted to being a ecstacy user throughout his whole career.

I wont hold it against you that you support the red and whites. Being a steelers fan offsets all that. (remember that St George merged with the Illawarra steelers some years ago)

83-Steelers-43
08-30-2007, 07:50 AM
You chose wisely. :wink02:

taffysaint
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Oh yeah I know, I was just abbreviating lol! That's not the story I read - the one on the beeb says he was caught with a single excstasy tablet at a London club claiming it wasn't his.

Anyway enough of this talk! I am here for the Black 'n' Golds to see if it can mingle with my red 'n' white blood!

Just as an aside - I am pretty sure I overestimated my fandom - i think I picked the steelers halfway through the season before they won the superbowl - so would have been 2004, not 2003 sorry! On the plus side I am clearly the secret to their success and my renewed interest can only bode well for them! :D

Aussie_steeler
08-30-2007, 08:01 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/c/ce/ISteelers2.jpg

The Illawarra Steelers are an Australian rugby league football club based in the city of Wollongong, New South Wales. The club previously played in Australia's top-level rugby league competition from 1982 when they, along with the Canberra Raiders, were admitted into the New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership until 1999 when they merged with the St George Dragons to form the St George Illawarra Dragons. The Steelers still field stand alone teams in junior grades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illawarra_Steelers

Many Aussies still think of them as the Steelers even though they merged

Aussie_steeler
08-30-2007, 08:03 AM
I dont know who has the worst mascot though?

Their mascot was the ever popular Stanley, the Steel Avenger (commonly referred to as Stanley the Steeler)

Steely McBeam or Stanley the Steeler??? Take your pick

taffysaint
08-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah it would have been a lot better if they had kept the Steelers name instead of the Dragons - would have linked all my teams in nicely! St Helens & St George Illawarra both play in white with a Red V then St George Illawarra & Pitt have the steelers tag. it would have been like a Ven diagram of of sporting awesomeness lol!

As far as the aussie team, I tend to chop and cange what I call them which no doubt annoys people but they are just down as my NRL team who I kind of follow rather than really follow them properly.

Steely McBeam is an awesome name and wins hands down - beating Stanley the Steeler and St Bernard purely because of the puntastic name and enourmous cleft-chinned jaw line! :p

CanadianSteel
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Steeler Nation !

Prepare yourself for a great ride !

SteelCityMan786
08-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Welcome to Steelers Fever.

snowman79
08-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the best steelers forum in the world mate, and greetings to you from across the border in haggis country, anything you need to know just p.m. me i have followed the steelers for 20 years and i have played gridiron in the UK for over 15 years. You are obviously a clever guy -

(1) You have made the correct choice in following the steelers (god's team)
(2) You have joined the best forum, (this forum)
(3) You ditched the 49ers (womens team)
(4) You are getting into the best team sport in the world.

All the best and its great to have you here.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!

taffysaint
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
I am actually gutted, the 49ers @ Steelers game on Sky i won't be be able to get cos I am on Cable and apparently Sky Active doesn't work on that - pah!

You going to Wembley Snowman? Me and my mate are staying at the Strand Palace and will be for pre-game libation in one of the near by hostelries ;)

Spidey
09-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Welcome Matt, . . from a fellow Brit, the Steelers rock!!

Have you considered getting Yahoo's NFL Gamepass, this allows you to watch all the Steelers games live on the internet, except when the Steelers are shown on Sky that is, as I think they block it?

Costs about ?107 to watch all the Steeler games!!

also take a look at NFLUK.com, thats where we all hang out . . .

I've been a Steeler fan since 1984, so I know the ins and outs, you've made the only choice!!

Later

Keith

taffysaint
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey Spidey! thanks for the tip, had no idea that was available! I will definitely look into it, my internet connection should be easily good enough - might even be able to split the cost with my 49ers friend lol!

Big Ben 33
09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the site.

Here we go Steelers Here we go :tt02:

UK CANDY BEE
09-08-2007, 10:06 PM
(1) You have made the correct choice in following the steelers (god's team)

:toofunny:

Okay.......... let's say .......... just for the sake of argument that......... as idiotic as it sounds......... that The Almighty does indeed have a team of choice !!

Now we'll take the stupidity one step further and say.........once again, just for giggles and grins.........that it is.............ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......I can hardly even think it......... the Pittsburgh Steelers............ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........okay, I got it out.........

I feel reasonably safe in saying that if all that lunacy were true, then the absolute least you could do is show Him the simple courtesy of capitalizing His name !!!!

Even your own fellow Stooler fan Preacher will likely back me up on this one.......

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: