PDA

View Full Version : P-G Not Impressed With Steelers 2007 Draft

Atlanta Dan
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
If this was a Cook or Smizik rip job I would say consider the source, but Ed.B. of the P-G, who I regard to be credible, is not impressed so far with the 2007 draft (I ran the screed against Sepulveda in the thread about Barr joining the Cardinals but the rest of Ed.B.'s thoughts are interesting),

Let the parade of Steelers to Arizona begin. The Cardinals signed punter Mike Barr after the Steelers released him the past week. And it did not even cost them a draft pick, never mind two of them in the fourth and sixth rounds. Barr outpunted Daniel Sepulveda in the first four preseason games, but there was never a chance the Steelers were going to keep him.

They should have kept Barr last season when he was in their third training camp. Instead, they hung on to Chris Gardocki one season too long. Had they kept Barr, they likely would have used their draft picks in the fourth and sixth rounds on real football players.

Having written that, it does not look like a banner year for the Steelers' rookie draft class. Sepulveda (fourth round), linebacker LaMarr Woodley (second) and cornerback William Gay (fifth) are about the only ones who have done anything.

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons, of course, will be kept as will tight end Matt Spaeth, who has been a disappointment. It looks like they could cut another fourth-rounder, defensive end Ryan McBean, who was impressive early in camp but then fell way off. They also likely will cut fifth-rounder Cameron Stephenson, a guard from Rutgers. Stephenson's former college teammate, Darnell Stapleton, also a guard, has been more impressive and could make it as an undrafted rookie.

http://www.postgazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

Although I was not wild about the Timmons pick, I agree with those who say let's wait and see how he does after recovering from the injury.

However, the Spaeth pick was a complete mystery to me and based on what I saw Sunday night against Philly Sep did not show me what all the alleged excitement is about. Those 2 picks were the total reaches on which IMO this draft may be judged.

steeltheone
08-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Barr out punted sepulevda, first i heard that. Woodley is a stud and Gay is always Darrin Perry like in the right place at the right time.Timmons has looked better tonight. He is 3 weeks behind. His rep is of a hard worker 100 % all the time. H e will be a player!

The Duke
08-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Timmons needs time, he hasn't been bad in the games he's played. Spaeth on the other hand seems a waste of a pick

jjpro11
08-30-2007, 09:52 PM
theres only so many guys that can make a difference in each draft.. so far woodley, sepulevda, gay and timmons look like they could all make an impact on this team now and in the future.. not to mention gary russell could be a bonus rookie.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 01:23 AM
I am guessing that, in the case of Spaeth, that the criticism should be aimed more at the offensive philosophy regarding TE's rather than the actual player.

I don't know if anyone actually reviews the game footage (LLT,TH?) but is this guy getting many snaps as anything other an inline blocker, is he part of Bens progression as a hot read under pressure and can he run a half decent route?

Its possible, I suppose, that the coaches are so underwhelmed by his lack of playmaking ability that he doesn't deserve to figure in the offensive gameplan at this point - who knows?

As I stated before, I really don't think that the Steelers are 'hiding' the hugely hyped 3 TE offense - not when an intergral part of it is sounding like the invisible man.

JackHammer
08-31-2007, 01:35 AM
I say save the judgmental critique for AFTER the season. We won't know how good this class is until at least 1-2 years have gone by.

verks36
08-31-2007, 02:09 AM
I say save the judgmental critique for AFTER the season. We won't know how good this class is until at least 1-2 years have gone by.

ya i agree there is no reason to judge are picks now when a regular season hasent even started. Like all rookies there is going to be a learning curve. We drafted these guys for the future. Give them a chance to blossom. At least wait until the end of the season

Preacher
08-31-2007, 02:10 AM

That's about the truth of it.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2007, 03:35 AM
It seemed like alot of daniels punts went into the endzone tonight for toughbacks he is booting 50 + yards but if they carry in the endzone that ain't going to help us much.

atrus20
08-31-2007, 08:22 AM
I agree, lets wait and see in a year or two to judge how well or how bad this draft class is.

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Barr out punted sepulevda....

In what alternate universe, exactly? Sep had one horrible shank and the rest of his kicks have been 50-60 yard boomers. Methinks Mr. Bouchette needs to pay attention to the games themselves and not the stat sheets - I'm sure the 14-yard shank lowered his average quite a bit.

tony hipchest
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
i had pointed this out (in another thread) that after las weeks game barr had the highest net punting average in the league for preseason, amongst those with 5 or more kicks.

barr had 6 compared to sepulvedas 19-20 something. sepulveda was 3rd in the preseason however and woulda been 1st were it not for his 1 shank. both got legs and both have benefitted from what seems to be a superb punt coverage unit.

ed b. hasnt liked the sepulveda pick from the get go, saying they shoulda used the 4th and the 6th on real football players. well, if he means "real football players" like fred gibson, orien harris, ryan mcbean, stephenson, etc. im more than happy trading players swho are longshots to make the roster for somebody who is guaranteed to make the roster and potentially be a pro bowler for years to come.

im a little suprised with this article and the doom and gloom. ed had seemed to be coming around and seeing the value of the pick... well, atleast he was laying off a bit. and after 1 shank, i think he had a knee jerk reaction. barr has been through several nfl camps and pre seasons. i think i'll give the new punter some time to develop before i say its a wasted pick. he sure bounced back nicely last night with his 9 punts. no shanks atleast and a respectable average.

onthebus36
08-31-2007, 09:59 AM
First, none of these guys have played a meaningful game so it's way too early to judge.

Second, Woodley, Gay, and Sepulveda have all had excellent pre-seasons and look to be long-term contributors. Timmons has been hurt and we haven't seen anything on Spaeth to judge him one way or the other. So, at a minimum, we have three or four guys out of a draft class who will be contributors. How is that a failure?

Regarding punt stats, they are problematic at best. There are times when a short punt is exactly what the doctor ordered. If you are out of field goal range and drop a short punt to pin the opposing team inside the ten, that's a good punt. However, if you only have a few punts in that game, a short punt is going to lower your average. Unless you make the stats situational, they can be deceptive.

In Dan's case, he had a shank in the fourth preseason game so his stats all dropped. After a good night punting last night, his stats are back up. It's just a numbers game.

The guy shanked one punt. No need to abandon ship...

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Second, Woodley, Gay, and Sepulveda have all had excellent pre-seasons and look to be long-term contributors. Timmons has been hurt and we haven't seen anything on Spaeth to judge him one way or the other. So, at a minimum, we have three or four guys out of a draft class who will be contributors. How is that a failure?

Simple - anything less than a repeat of the draft of '74 is considered a failure. :rolleyes: And I wonder why sportswriters, by and large, are tools?

rog
08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
This is one of the reasons I'm (unfortunatly) starting to hate people that cover sports these days. Why do you have to judge a draft class before they even get to play in a game that counts? This sounds like something ESPN should be doing. It is about the only thing they haven't done yet. ESPNU has went through the college games to predict who they thought would win the National Championship. I'm sure everyone has heard about the Who's Now thing (waste of time). Not to metion the list they had on players they thought would be "Cantonized". What ever happened to watching sports and letting everything play out instead of predicting everything? I guess it wouldn't be all that bad if at the end of the season the people who were wrong we called out about it.

Jman
08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
The season hasn't even started. Perhaps the real waste, is the time spent reading this drama about the draft at P-G.

ChronoCross
08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
No reason even to read any grade on this draft class right now for any team. You have to give 3 to 4 years to see how the players actually turn out. At that time then make the grade on this class. Kinda since less to make a grade when none of this guys have played a official game yet.

There has been plenty of times when people have said wow what a draft class gave it a A+ then down the road it turned out to be one of worst draft classes.

Stlrs4Life
08-31-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree Dan, I too take Ed B for his word, but I think we will find this in every draft.

SteelerFanInCA
08-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Way too early to make any judgements on this draft class. I'm going to wait and see how they fare when we are playing for keeps before I make a call.

JPPT1974
09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Sepulveda being outranked by Barr? Gimme a break!
As I think that he is awesome!
He is the punter for the future of the Steelers!:tt02:

Kaeg
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I too was a little shocked by the "real football players" comment. It seemed to have a taste of bias or something to it. I think it's way too early to abandon Sepulveda yet and even think he's looked sharp thus far.

WWIIOwheelz
09-04-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm thrilled with the 2007 Steelers draft, and am very, very excited about the possibilities this upcoming season.

Regarding Spaeth--- he's a TE very much like Heath Miller when he came into the league, namely a big target Ben can find when he has to leave the pocket, and the value of that can't be overstated. Look how well he & Heath clicked in 2005, when barring injury to Ben, Miller could've put up Gates numbers at TE. I like the prospects of a 2 TE set at times to throw opposing Ds for a loop, and think he can be a big part of that.

Sepulveda? Has the writer watched the preseason games? This guy has been an absolute pleasure to watch, and the difference he makes in a battle of field position is night/day different than with he-who-was-never-blocked.

This Gay guy is a monster. I've positively loved watching him play this preseason, and he's already made an impression on me. Big hits, defended passes, INT? They give him a nickname like "Knot" and he'll be a fan favorite in no time. :D

Go Stillers

Preacher
09-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Wow... it took all of TC and Pre-season for Ed B. to start ripping on the Steelers and Tomlin.

So sad. We haven't PLAYED A GAME YET.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-04-2007, 02:11 AM
When Daniel Sepulveda is the best punter in the NFL and makes the Pro Bowl every year then maybe everyone will be on board with the pick.....He had one shank and against the Panthers he had some punts go in the end zone...But other then that the guy had been awesome all pre-season.....I guess field position isn't a huge factor to old Ed....But it will be for our defense this year....