PDA

View Full Version : Kimo a Steeler again?

MACH1
08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...ttsburgh/#cont

Credit Jim Wexell for first noting that the Steelers could end up filling their need for a sixth defensive linemen with an old friend. Kimo Von Oelhoffen is in danger of being cut by the Jets after losing his starting job. While his salary may no longer fit into the Jets plans, the idea of bringing back the longtime Steeler seems a perfect fit for Pittsburgh

The Steelers have three very good starting defensive linemen and two quality backups (Travis Kirschke and Chris Hoke). But when it comes to picking a sixth defensive lineman, the reality is that neither Nick Eason or Ryan McBean is a guy the Steelers want logging significant snaps this year. And right now one of those two is one sprained ankle away from playing 15-20 snaps.

McBean has clearly established he's not ready--he's hoping to just record a single tackle before the preseason ends, although his athletic potential should earn him a redshirt season to gain weight and hopefully come back as a contributor in 2008. Eason is adequate at best. Unfortunately when he's not at his best he gets blown off the line.

Von Oelhoffen doesn't have that problem as he's still a strong, if slow and aging, defensive end. He's not someone the Steelers would want starting on a weekly basis these days, but he's a perfect fit as a "break glass in case of Aaron Smith injury" guy. He seemed to leave for New York still holding the Steelers in high regard. So hopefully if he is waived we'll see him in black and gold before long....

He might be ok to have around in case of emergency or give somebody a breather, if he wants to sign for cheap. No sense in having another over paid sweat model though.

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Too old, too much money.

Jman
08-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Too old, too much money.

:iagree:

ShutDown24
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
If he came for really cheap theres no reason we shouldn't... But if he want's anywhere remotley close to starting money it should be a no right away.

meanjoecoop
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Yep, for the right price I'd like to see him as a back up.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Here's a question - how good a player is Kirschke?

I think im pretty familiar with the Steelers line up, but this guy sounds like another Chukky Okobi who people think must be good because the starter ahead of him is such a good player.

Chris Hoke im familiar with and he is a quality back-up.

Tankus_Maximus
08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

I think im pretty familiar with the Steelers line up, but this guy sounds like another Chukky Okobi who people think must be good because the starter ahead of him is such a good player.

Chris Hoke im familiar with and he is a quality back-up.

That's a really good question LITP, one I've often pondered myself.

I think Hoke would be a starter on any other team if he wasn't log-jammed by Casey Hampton. The guy is flat out, tough-as-nails.

I'd bring back Kimo, at a much reduced salary, and role....and to have him end Carson Palmer's season one more time!

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 06:21 PM

Chris Hoke im familiar with and he is a quality back-up.orrrrrr mike verabil !!!! don't tell him anything guys !!! he's a belichek spy !!! :sofunny:

HometownGal
08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I"m all in favor of bringing back Kimo for a reduced salary as a backup. He's a teamer and I think he would welcome the opportunity to return to a team he clearly loved in spite of defecting to the Jets for the almighty dollar. He's a few years older and a few years slower, but I think there's still some octane left in that tank. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
08-31-2007, 06:32 PM
I'd bring him back just to:

A) Watch the ignorant fans at PBS boo the hell out him
B) See the look of terror in Cornhole's eyes if Kimo broke through protection and was in his face.

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM

B) See the look of terror in Cornhole's eyes if Kimo broke through protection and was in his face.

:thumbsup:

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 07:47 PM
That's a really good question LITP, one I've often pondered myself.

I think Hoke would be a starter on any other team if he wasn't log-jammed by Casey Hampton. The guy is flat out, tough-as-nails.

I'd bring back Kimo, at a much reduced salary, and role....and to have him end Carson Palmer's season one more time!

Ya Hoke has a really good rep - getting guy like that who is also willing to play back-up..well, thats rare.

rrrrrr mike verabil !!!! don't tell him anything guys !!! he's a belichek spy !!!

Shhhhhhh. No harm in a little info sharing...right? :wink02:

meanjoecoop
08-31-2007, 08:55 PM

and C) To be able to by his jersey off NFLShop.com one last time. :wink02:

zoneblitz43
08-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Kimo is 36 years old. he should be retired. besides I'd rather see us pursue younger talent and build for the future instead of picking up a former player who is past his prime.

Preacher
08-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Kimo is 36 years old. he should be retired. besides I'd rather see us pursue younger talent and build for the future instead of picking up a former player who is past his prime.
Yes. For the money... and the leadership. Absolutely.

Hines0wnz
09-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes. For the money... and the leadership. Absolutely.

I concur.

Elvis
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Yep, for the right price I'd like to see him as a back up.
I agree.. if he is here for the veteran minimum or close then I say : Sign Him
:tt02:

stillers4me
09-01-2007, 03:10 PM
and C) To be able to by his jersey off NFLShop.com one last time. :wink02:

Wouldn't that be a fun one to wear here in Cincy?? :toofunny:

Preacher
09-01-2007, 03:21 PM

:sofunny::sofunny:

What would really kill me... is if he had another incident with Caution P.

revefsreleets
09-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Are you crazy??? They'll kill you! Literally! I mean they'll take a gun and shoot you dead. And I'm talking about the players on the team, not the fans.

Tankus_Maximus
09-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Are you crazy??? They'll kill you! Literally! I mean they'll take a gun and shoot you dead. And I'm talking about the players on the team, not the fans.

THAT was funny.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Eagles signed Kimo....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

revefsreleets
09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Eagles signed Kimo....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

That's good. If there are any fans in the NFL who are gangsta enough to hang with the Bengals players, it's the Eagle fans.

Stlrs4Life
09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
KIMO WAS TARGETED

A source with the Steelers admits the team attempted to sign then-free agent Kimo von Oelhoffen early this week after he’d been released by the New York Jets, but the Philadelphia Eagles beat the Steelers to the punch.
“The Eagles must’ve known something because that contract was almost done when we called Kimo’s agent,” said the source. “But we tried.”

For one week anyhow, the Steelers have a back-up defensive end who’ll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Nick Eason was released by the Browns at the end of last season and said, “I’m taking this game personal.”

Eason was with the Browns for parts of three seasons.

“It’s a personal game, but I just want to win,” he added. “(I’m) not looking to let the emotion of the game make me play without technique. I’ll play within the framework of the defense.”

Eason was asked if he sensed any differences in the two teams’ respective locker rooms before the rivals play.

“Every game, being a Steeler, is a big game,” he said. “In Cleveland, being that they’ve lost for quite many years now and don’t have many wins against the Steelers, it’s probably a Super Bowl. When I was there, playing the Steelers was a Super Bowl game for the most part.”

SteelCityMan786
09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm really not interested in bringing him back anyway.

Preacher
09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
KIMO WAS TARGETED

A source with the Steelers admits the team attempted to sign then-free agent Kimo von Oelhoffen early this week after he?d been released by the New York Jets, but the Philadelphia Eagles beat the Steelers to the punch.
?The Eagles must?ve known something because that contract was almost done when we called Kimo?s agent,? said the source. ?But we tried.?

For one week anyhow, the Steelers have a back-up defensive end who?ll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Nick Eason was released by the Browns at the end of last season and said, ?I?m taking this game personal.?

Eason was with the Browns for parts of three seasons.

?It?s a personal game, but I just want to win,? he added. ?(I?m) not looking to let the emotion of the game make me play without technique. I?ll play within the framework of the defense.?

Eason was asked if he sensed any differences in the two teams? respective locker rooms before the rivals play.

?Every game, being a Steeler, is a big game,? he said. ?In Cleveland, being that they?ve lost for quite many years now and don?t have many wins against the Steelers, it?s probably a Super Bowl. When I was there, playing the Steelers was a Super Bowl game for the most part.?

You know,

I am very glad to hear that they tried to bring him back. I don't know why, just excited to hear about it.