PDA

View Full Version : Trimming the Roster to 53

onthebus36
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Here's an interesting take on the upcoming cuts:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/31/position-battles-getting-the-steelers-down-to-53/

I'm intrigued by the suggestion that the Steelers pick up Kimo if the Jets cut him.

Position Battles: Getting the Steelers Roster Down to 53
Posted Aug 31st 2007 10:00AM by JJ Cooper

Some time today or tomorrow the Steelers will end the NFL dreams of more than a dozen players while telling one or two surprises that they've managed to do enough to start collecting a really big paycheck. Mike Tomlin's first cutdown day as head coach will involve plenty of decisions. Here's my opinion about how the final roster should shake out. Feel free to disagree.

Quarterbacks (3): Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch and Brian St. Pierre. St. Pierre has played well enough to earn a roster spot. The Steelers have just learned that they could stick him on the practice squad, so they do have some flexibility here if they're willing to run the risk of exposing him to waivers, but he's been solid enough to earn a job this preseason.

Running Backs (5): Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Carey Davis, Dan Kreider and Gary Russell. Sorry Verron Haynes. While Haynes has been a longtime third down back/special teams contributor, Davis, Davenport and Parker can handle that role and Davis is a special teams demon. For all the talk about Davis and Kreider battling for a job, while not carry both on the 53-man and the active roster?Wide receiver (5): Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, Cedric Wilson and Willie Reid. Plenty of fans talked about cutting Washington after a pair of drops, but you don't just get rid of guys who average 17.8 yards per catch. With Holmes seeming ready to take "the leap" this could be a very good group of receivers. Walter Young's had a good training camp, but he's the perfect guy to call if an injury crops up in November--he's never stuck on a roster for a full season, so it's a safe bet he'll be available.

Tight ends (3): Heath Miller, Jerame Tuman, Matt Spaeth. Spaeth hasn't shown any reason why he should be playing ahead of Tuman yet as he still needs to develop as a blocker and hasn't done anything in the passing game yet.

Offensive line (10): Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon, Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Marvin Phillip, Jason Capizzi, Cameron Stephenson. The Steelers might keep an nine linemen and/or they might keep two different players (Trai Essex and Chukky Okobi), but they have to start planning for 2008, when Starks, Faneca and Simmons will likely be playing somewhere else. Capizzi might not be as good as a tackle as Essex right now, but he likely will be before the season's over and he's likely to be much better by next year. At the same time Okobi is a better player than Phillip right now, but he's also much more expensive and the Steelers have backup options at guard (Kemoeatu) and center (Phillip/Simmons). It also makes sense that the Steelers will scan the waiver wire to see if anybody who can back up at left tackle becomes available. If so, it's worth dumping someone to fill that vital role.

Defensive line (7): Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Travis Kirschke, Chris Hoke, Nick Eason, Ryan McBean. Well five spots are set with quality players. McBean's done nothing to earn a job, but the hope is that he will develop with a year to get stronger and develop some pass rushing moves. Considering the age of the Steelers top five linemen it's well worth carrying a non-contributor for the hope of developing some young depth. Eason's spot will hopefully be taken by Kimo Von Oelhoffen if the Jets release him.

Linebackers (8): Clark Haggans, Larry Foote, James Farrior, James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Clint Kriewaldt, Arnold Harrison. If the offensive line will be the key offseason project for 2008, the linebacker corps was the main offseason job for 2007. Woodley looks like a future star while Timmons is starting to get a chance to run around and hopefully eventually make plays. Rian Wallace as made the team year after year as a fourth inside linebacker, but Arnold Harrison appears to have outplayed him both on defense and on special teams this August. Arnold Harrison is more of an outside linebacker, but he, James Harrison and eventually Timmons can play inside in a pinch.

Defensive backs (9): Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Ricardo Colclough, Anthony Smith, Tyrone Carter. There has been some recent speculation that Carter could be a surprise cut, but that doesn't make a lot of sense considering the Steelers always carry at least four safeties. Chidi Iwuoma was a terrible cut last year as the Steelers missed his punt coverage skills. This year the Steelers can waive him since Gay does much of the same with the added ability to play as a cornerback as well.

Special Teams (3): Greg Warren, Jeff Reed, Daniel Sepulveda. Hey, we have a punter! Celebrate.

Hate To See You Go: Verron Haynes, Chukky Okobi, Rian Wallace, Walter Young, Chidi Iuwoma. The Steelers have a number of Bill Cowher favorites who are on the bubble this year. It makes sense to send a couple of them on their way, although most of these decisions are not truly vital. In the case of the 2007 Steelers most roster decisions revolve around sorting out who's the best eighth linebacker, not decisions that likely will have any long-term impact on the team.

dhosmer
08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
i didn't think they were cutting chidi...

onthebus36
08-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Who knows. I think it would be odd they would cut the Special Teams captain (preseason).

Like I said, this guy has some interesting points but we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what really happens.

OneForTheToe
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
I agree on most, except for a few:

Okobi will be hard to cut if Phillip’s injury is anything at all. Has Simmons even played in the preseason games at center? Okobi is expensive, but there could still be justification to keep him for one more year. First, Mahan has won the job but hardly by much. Second, while 2 million is a lot for backup center, you could get more out of Okobi due to Mahan’s ability to play another position. If Faneca and Simmons were to go down, the Steelers could move Mahan to guard and bring Okobi in at center where he would most likely do an adequate job. I will understand if they still cut Okobi, but it is a thought.

I don't buy the McBean justification. Just because he is young you keep him. Naaa ….. he is practice squad at best. If you lose him then too bad, but you have to take some risk at losing a few prospects. We cut Orien Harris last year. And like Harris McBean has done little nothing to that shows he belongs on the 53 man roster. I think McBean’s position goes to Walter Young. So, the Steelers keep 6 D'linemen and 6 wr's.

Finally, I'd say 9 O'linemen (Stephenson or Capizzi to ps) and 10 db's. You need a load of dbs because you use so many during a game and you have to account for injury.

DACEB
08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Offensive line (10): Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon, Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Marvin Phillip, Jason Capizzi, Cameron Stephenson. The Steelers might keep an nine linemen and/or they might keep two different players (Trai Essex and Chukky Okobi), but they have to start planning for 2008, when Starks, Faneca and Simmons will likely be playing somewhere else. Capizzi might not be as good as a tackle as Essex right now, but he likely will be before the season's over and he's likely to be much better by next year. At the same time Okobi is a better player than Phillip right now, but he's also much more expensive and the Steelers have backup options at guard (Kemoeatu) and center (Phillip/Simmons). It also makes sense that the Steelers will scan the waiver wire to see if anybody who can back up at left tackle becomes available. If so, it's worth dumping someone to fill that vital role.

First of all, thanks onthebus36, great read.

On the offensive line I think Darnell Stapleton stays before Cameron Stephenson, he has shown greater ability and can play center as well as guard.
Jason Capizzi sticks around because of size and potential, as stated, and the need for a left tackle.
I really think Marvin Phillip is on the bubble. There are other guys that can fill in at center as stated and there may be a need at another position. Phillip does help himself by being able to play guard as well.
I keep thinking we should try and get something for Okobi before just cutting him.

Defensive line (7): Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Travis Kirschke, Chris Hoke, Nick Eason, Ryan McBean. Well five spots are set with quality players. McBean's done nothing to earn a job, but the hope is that he will develop with a year to get stronger and develop some pass rushing moves. Considering the age of the Steelers top five linemen it's well worth carrying a non-contributor for the hope of developing some young depth. Eason's spot will hopefully be taken by Kimo Von Oelhoffen if the Jets release him.

I would love to see Kimo come back for a backup role at a value price. Not having to play every down I'm sure he still has plenty left in the tank.

DACEB
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Finally, I'd say 9 O'linemen (Stephenson or Capizzi to ps) and 10 db's. You need a load of dbs because you use so many during a game and you have to account for injury.

I agree with 9 O-line and 10 DBs. Iwuoma stays on.

jjpro11
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
that would be awesome if we could get kimo back... i didnt like hearing the rumors of cutting tyrone carter though. i never heard that before now. who else do we have at strong safety after troy?

ChronoCross
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Tomorrow we will find out for sure who gets cut and who stays.. No reason to guess now..

Mosca
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, but it's fun! It's like reverse Christmas... "Here are a whole bunch of presents, but you only get to keep 53 of them, and you won't know until tomorrow!"

Tom

Preacher
08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
In short,

I think that is a pretty good list. I wouldn't mind seeing Verron gone. Sorry all, but he has never impressed me.

We'll see soon!

HometownGal
08-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Good read OFTT - thanks! :thumbsup:

I pretty much have to agree with the above list. I don't believe the Steelers can justify paying a backup center (Okobi) 2 mil this season - it just isn't good business sense. Trai Essex will be gone, as will Verron. Mahan, imho, has clearly won the starting C position and his versatility to play G makes him a definite keeper. I also believe Capizzi has shown a lot of promise both in camp and in the preseason matches - he's earned that roster spot.

Tomlin has some huge decisions to make - some will be easy, some not so easy, but I place my trust in him to put the best 53 guys on that roster. :tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 07:26 PM
I also believe Capizzi has shown a lot of promise both in camp and in the preseason matches .

:tt02::busted::busted::busted:...mods !!! litp has hijacked HTG's account !!!

HometownGal
08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
:busted::busted::busted:...mods !!! litp has hijacked HTG's account !!!

:sofunny::sofunny::mallet::wink02:

steelpride12
08-31-2007, 10:45 PM
i didn't think they were cutting chidi...

It's still kinda a toss up with him. They love his special team leadership, but Tomlin recently wants more from him and if he can't responde then goodbye!

jjpro11
09-01-2007, 01:26 AM
First of all, thanks onthebus36, great read.

On the offensive line I think Darnell Stapleton stays before Cameron Stephenson, he has shown greater ability and can play center as well as guard.
Jason Capizzi sticks around because of size and potential, as stated, and the need for a left tackle.
I really think Marvin Phillip is on the bubble. There are other guys that can fill in at center as stated and there may be a need at another position. Phillip does help himself by being able to play guard as well.
I keep thinking we should try and get something for Okobi before just cutting him.

I would love to see Kimo come back for a backup role at a value price. Not having to play every down I'm sure he still has plenty left in the tank.

kimo has officially been cut.. if he can be had for the vet minimum, i say bring him back. i am not comfortable with the depth on the dline. the starting 3 is one of the best groups in the league. hoke is a good backup NT, kimo would be an upgrade over eason, kirschke, and mcbean.

Preacher
09-01-2007, 03:17 AM
kimo has officially been cut.. if he can be had for the vet minimum, i say bring him back. i am not comfortable with the depth on the dline. the starting 3 is one of the best groups in the league. hoke is a good backup NT, kimo would be an upgrade over eason, kirschke, and mcbean.

Vet Min? Absoutely!!

Galax Steeler
09-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Bring him back.
lets save walter young to.

lilyoder6
09-01-2007, 10:15 AM
i would like to keep young as well to be a tall deep threat....

stillers4me
09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd love to have Kimo back just to hear the Ben-girl fans bitch about it.

SteelFist
09-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Nate had a bad 1st preseason game. But he's came on every since. I'd hate to have to decide on the 4th and 5th WR's.