PDA

View Full Version : SI- Corners play too much CUSHION!!!

jsteelers51191
08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Even in the scouting section of SI, it comes directly from an opoosing team's scout that the corners play with too much cushion, also showing that teams realize this and are exploiting this. I have always wondered why we have out corners play with so much cushion?

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Even in the scouting section of SI, it comes directly from an opoosing team's scout that the corners play with too much cushion, also showing that teams realize this and are exploiting this. I have always wondered why we have out corners play with so much cushion?

Because they do not have the speed to stay with the receivers?

Mosca
08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
That might change this year.

Tom

tony hipchest
08-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Even in the scouting section of SI, it comes directly from an opoosing team's scout that the corners play with too much cushion, also showing that teams realize this and are exploiting this. I have always wondered why we have out corners play with so much cushion?its the zone blitz and not press man coverage or, tampa 2. we play it casue we used it on the way to a 15-1 season. we used it in the superbowl as we watched d. jackson catch short pass after short pass. we gave up 10 points on the way to defeating 4 of the top passing games in the league. we use it because it works. we use it because it has given us the best scoring defense this pre season.

Preacher
08-31-2007, 05:24 PM
its the zone blitz and not press man coverage or, tampa 2. we play it casue we used it on the way to a 15-1 season. we used it in the superbowl as we watched d. jackson catch short pass after short pass. we gave up 10 points on the way to defeating 4 of the top passing games in the league. we use it because it works. we use it because it has given us the best scoring defense this pre season.

Tony... I agree... and disagree.

It is absolutely part of the scheming. But it kills me because it is also part of the reason why we end up getting beat by teams that have no reason to beat us....

I wish we could find a middle ground.

tony hipchest
08-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Tony... I agree... and disagree.

It is absolutely part of the scheming. But it kills me because it is also part of the reason why we end up getting beat by teams that have no reason to beat us....

i prefer to look only a month back since it is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and because it is a new era under tomlin. i doubt tomlin will make ike taylor the scapegoat when horrible turnovers contiuously put our defense in horrible positions. our defense is built to get off the field quick and our offense to be ball control, grind it out. the bengals are built to be the complete opposite.

if were gonna look at the past i prefer looking at when the same defense and mostly the same players defeated 4 pro bowl qb's (manning, palmer, plummer, and hasselbeck) and a multitude of pro bowl receivers using the same "soft" coverage.

i think the ones who complain about this and beat this issue to death are the ones who prefer a deion sanders type cb as opposed to a rod woodson. to each his own.

in a zone blitz defense you have to give up a little bit in pass coverage in order to have one of the most dominant run defenses in the league.

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 06:14 PM

I agree - it almost made me puke watching Brady carve us up with short passes in the 4th quarter of the most recent regular season game (at home, natch) against the Pats in which we lost by a FG.

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
could that very same cushion be the reason why the D, has a problem getting off the field on third down when the blitz gets picked up?

revefsreleets
08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
It's not speed, at least with the new guys. Ike, Coke and McFadden are fast.

I think it was a Cowher thing. The CB's were smoked big in big games, and I think it's kind of a "Don't give up cheap TD's no matter what" philosophy. My guess is that Tomlin throws that out the window come regular season.

Galax Steeler
09-01-2007, 07:07 AM
I agree - it almost made me puke watching Brady carve us up with short passes in the 4th quarter of the most recent regular season game (at home, natch) against the Pats in which we lost by a FG.

I have to agree makes me sick to watch them short passes.

stlrtruck
09-02-2007, 08:38 PM
It also has to do with the new rules that were put in place so the receivers would stop their complaining about how they supposedly got held at the line or what have you. It's been all these rule changes to help boost the offensive production a few years back!!!