PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and 4 yds or less. shotgun formation

tony hipchest
09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
everybody knows it will be a shotgun formation and usually a pass. on a smashmouth running team. sure it usually works but look how few 3rd downs were converted yesterday. it only works against the subpar teams an belichick looks at so much game film. is anyone tired of seeing the steelers in shotgun on EVERY 3rd down play? or do you think its a good strategy. like i said it worked well in the past but only against the lesser teams.

Koopa
09-26-2005, 05:46 PM
i don't really know i just think heath miller should be more involved in the offense especially on 3rd downs, he'd help out a lot, also morgan might be good to put in if chad didn't interfeer with that one pass morgan gets the touchdown. we just need to mix it up a little

RoethlisBURGHer
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Miller needs to be in the damn game more.The guy has some speed,hands,can block,and he can jsut truck people.We drafted him for a reason,now USE HIM!

clevestinks
09-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Why use Miller? On third and long we ran it twice, I love Cowher but did question the play calling somewhat. I understand what your saying I`m just venting out of frustration

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
the shotgun is just designed to give Ben more time to see the field and make a decision..we'll probably continue to do it, always has been that way to varying degrees since BC become the head coach.

tony hipchest
09-26-2005, 07:02 PM
the shotgun is just designed to give Ben more time to see the field and make a decision..we'll probably continue to do it, always has been that way to varying degrees since BC become the head coach.
and in some games last year the steelers had like a 75% 3rd down conversion rate. it just doesnt seem to work against the patriots. but then again neither did running it on them yesterday either. cowhers almost damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. i do like the confidence it shows in big ben to make the play though.

CowherLover
09-28-2005, 08:30 AM

The way their D was able to chase him around he needed to be in the shotgun! We're damn lucky he's as big and agile as he is otherwise we could be without our starting qb. O-line needs to get their protections down against this team in particular.

Black-n-Gold
09-28-2005, 11:19 AM
I was hoping to see them play Duce in some of those 3rd downs, they stuck with what they couldn't get started. I don't know what down it was on, but when was the last time that a reverse actually worked for the Steelers?

tony hipchest
09-28-2005, 01:15 PM
I was hoping to see them play Duce in some of those 3rd downs, they stuck with what they couldn't get started. I don't know what down it was on, but when was the last time that a reverse actually worked for the Steelers?
i think that play was right before the clock mistake happened i dont know what they were trying with that mularkey either :grin: (pun intended)

Prosdo
09-28-2005, 01:42 PM
i think that play was right before the clock mistake happened i dont know what they were trying with that mularkey either :grin: (pun intended)

lol Certainly made you remember when he use to be here.

tony hipchest
09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
lol Certainly made you remember when he use to be here.
i liked mularkey untill they went pass happy and did the tommy gun crap. some of his playoff call ing was crap 97 playoff w/ denver comes to mind. interception in endzone on 2nd an2 . but my favorite mularkey play was direct snap to jerome against the vikes.

Black-n-Gold
09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
i liked mularkey untill they went pass happy and did the tommy gun crap. some of his playoff call ing was crap 97 playoff w/ denver comes to mind. interception in endzone on 2nd an2 . but my favorite mularkey play was direct snap to jerome against the vikes.

Yeah that play they used to run a few times with the direct snap usually worked. Wonder if they tried that now with back like Parker, and his speed, if it would work. As long as they drop the reverse, never works and it just makes the fans mad.

Suitanim
09-28-2005, 05:01 PM
The shotgun is going to be used more and more by all football teams, since it's such a big part of Urban Meyer's Spread Option Offense, which is already becoming almost ubiquitous...it's supposed to increase options for the QB and RB, not decrease them...

Koopa
09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
i wish we had a taller wr to go with the shotgun offense so ben can just lob the ball to them.

Black-n-Gold
09-28-2005, 06:47 PM
i wish we had a taller wr to go with the shotgun offense so ben can just lob the ball to them.

Good point, the lob ball dominates in the red zone.

Suitanim
09-28-2005, 07:23 PM
We had a 6'5" WR on our team for 4 years...how many fade patterns did we execute and complete in the endzone with him during that time? 2? Maybe? He dropped at least twice that many...

By way of comparison, the Pats have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls, and I don't think they have a single WR over 6' tall...

Koopa
09-28-2005, 09:02 PM
yeah but that was plax, not all tall wr catch and fall with no one around him and they all don't drop catches that i can catch and plus he had kordell and maddox throwing to him most of his career, if he would've stuck around i think he would've got better numbers cause he'd have real qb throwing to him. maybe in this years draft we can get a tall wr in the second or thrid round that isn't a problem like i guess gibson kinda was.

Prosdo
09-28-2005, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a big WR brought in next season, but we do have a pretty good WR corp now.

I.C. Lights
09-28-2005, 11:23 PM
It was definitely a bad flashback. Maybe he'll mul'-it-over next time :tap: :chuckle:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
We've got a pretty tall guy named heath miller who should be able to tower over most defensive backs for a jump ball too.

Koopa
09-28-2005, 11:35 PM
well the way things are going we won't see heath live up to his potential in this offense so his height don't matter cause he won't be used in the passing game like he needs to be

Prosdo
09-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Very true Blitz, but what concerns me is if Cowher will use him to his potential. A TE like Heath Miller can bring another weapon onto the field. I will really be ticked off if he is not used in the passing game.

Suitanim
09-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Ben's favorite target from his college days will be in the draft next year...Martin Nance

6'5" 210 Runs a sub 4.4 40. The guy I work with who calls a bunch of MAC games said he's just like Plex, except he's faster and can actually catch.

Prosdo
09-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Ben's favorite target from his college days will be in the draft next year...Martin Nance

6'5" 210 Runs a sub 4.4 40. The guy I work with who calls a bunch of MAC games said he's just like Plex, except he's faster and can actually catch.

I'll have to keep an eye out for info on him. Would be interesting to see the two reunited.

CowherLover
09-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I think when Quincy becomes more familiar with our offense he can be used as a jumper. I know everyone is ready to see Heath play but Kranchick has a couple of inches on him even.