PDA

View Full Version : byron leftwich to be cut (or traded)

tony hipchest
08-31-2007, 04:00 PM
as reported on nfl network.

expect the ravens to make a mad scramble for him to be their qb of the future.

Preacher
08-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Dang!!

Maybe we can get him, and let BSP go....

Naaa... we don't want BSP selling the playbook!

verks36
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
ya i just heard that garrard was named the starter. So much for jack del rio announcing ealier in training camp that leftwich is our guy

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2007, 04:59 PM
This from Peter King

The move was prompted by Leftwich's poor play in the preseason, and, one club source said, the thought that he was lackadaisical and placed little importance in how he practiced or played this summer once coach Jack Del Rio named him the starting quarterback in the offseason. Particularly disturbing was his play in an exhibition game at Green Bay two weeks ago, the source said. For the summer, Leftwich completed 19 of 38 passes.

The move will shave Leftwich's $5.6-million salary off the Jacksonville books and put the disappointing quarterback in limbo. This was a contract year for him, and he got into great shape to prove he could be one of the top quarterbacks in the league.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/31/leftwich.release/index.html

Sounds like Faneca, except for the part about getting into great shape to prove you can be one of the top players in the league at your position.:sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM

i can see the skins , or maybe even atlanta showing interest.

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Dang!!

Maybe we can get him, and let BSP go....

Naaa... we don't want BSP selling the playbook!

A slower, fatter version of Kordell Stewart? No thanks. If we get down to #3 in our stable of QBs, the season is pretty much a write off anyway, so I think we should stick with Frenchie. Besides, he's a LOT cheaper.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
i can see the skins , or maybe even atlanta showing interest.

The Falcons game plan is to ride the Joey Harrington Express to a 3-13 season in order to get pole position to draft Brian Brohm.

Unless they are conducting a lab experiment regarding how to raise racial animosity in ATL, I doubt the Falcons are bringing in Leftwich to start a QB controversy. Peter King thinks the Chiefs might bite.

tony hipchest
08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
i can see the skins , or maybe even atlanta showing interest.the skins are super high on j. campbell and i cant blame him. he was really the only qb able to put together a td scoring drive against the steelers #1 unit, and i think he did it with great poise under extreme pressure. the way he bounced back from that shot to the knee was quite impressive too.

the falcons would be wise to get him. vikings could use him to but their wr's will be the downfall of any qb. i wonder if the raiders want to complete a set of triplets?Unless they are conducting a lab experiment regarding how to raise racial animosity in ATL, I doubt the Falcons are bringing in Leftwich to start a QB controversy. Peter King thinks the Chiefs might bite.

hmmm. that makes alot of sense too.

i still think if it comes to a trade, the ravens might be willing to offer the most and billick could definitely convince byron he loves him the most and hes got the greatest shot to be "the future".

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 05:28 PM
The Falcons game plan is to ride the Joey Harrington Express to a 3-13 season in order to get pole position to draft Brian Brohm.

Unless they are conducting a lab experiment regarding how to raise racial animosity in ATL, I doubt the Falcons are bringing in Leftwich to start a QB controversy. Peter King thinks the Chiefs might bite.
i just can't see the chefs going after him. huard did an admirable job filling in for green, and i think thier pretty high on coyle since they haven't even named a starter yet. and why would they dump green if they didn't feel they had thier man on the roster?

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
so who would the ratbirds dump for the roster spot ? boller or smith?

tony hipchest
08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
so who would the ratbirds dump for the roster spot ? boller or smith?boller is a free agent next season, and i stepped into a nfl live (or network) discussion whether the ravens would risk putting smith on the practice squad. appearantly it is a possibility. but who the ravens really would like is brian st pierre again for the old, 9 week "pump and dump" manuver.

i would say smith would get the boot. especially if the ravens didnt have to give up a draft pick for byron.

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
i wonder if da bears , might take a peak....:scratchchin:....i don't see em stickin with rex too long if he goes back to last seasons form....

fansince'76
08-31-2007, 05:51 PM
i wonder if da bears , might take a peak....:scratchchin:....i don't see em stickin with rex too long if he goes back to last seasons form....

Doubtful - they've got Griese (who, IMO, should be their starter anyway).

HometownGal
08-31-2007, 05:51 PM
I kinda liked Leftwich - he has a lot of potential, but tends to be a bit injury prone. From the SI report, he got a bit lazy after he was anointed the starter by Del Rio, which shows a poor attitude, laziness and arrogance on his part, so I don't blame the Jags for wanting to dump him on his hiney.

I can see him going to the Falcons, the Rats or possibly - the Texans.

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I kinda liked Leftwich - he has a lot of potential, but tends to be a bit injury prone. From the SI report, he got a bit lazy after he was anointed the starter by Del Rio, which shows a poor attitude, laziness and arrogance on his part, so I don't blame the Jags for wanting to dump him on his hiney.

I can see him going to the Falcons, the Rats or possibly - the Texans.
the texans? after what they just forked out for shaub ? could be i guess....but i'd think whoever would be interested, would be a team with a shakey starter.

rich4eagle
08-31-2007, 06:06 PM

Browns are better sutied...........they need a real qb

ShutDown24
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
They should drop Boller for him... His contract is up this year anyway I think...

ChronoCross
08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Kinda wierd hearing that left got left out. Far as most thought he would be the starter day 1. Now the boot.. what a change..

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Leftwich reminds me a of a Drew Bledsoe type - great arm, immobile and will stand there in the pocket and til he gets hit....and hit....and hit again.

There has been a major problem between him and Del Rio since the last QB controversy when Garrard came in - looked great....was made the starter..then promptly turned to crap.

Garrard is a nice back-up but I haven't been impressed with him as a starter.

Del Rio is on the hot seat this year for sure.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Del Rio is on the hot seat this year for sure.

yep - before this Jax actually had been listed by some as a trendy long-shot alternative to Indy in the division.

Give Del Rio credit that if this is his last stand he will make it with players he trusts - of course if they crash this cut seals his fate.

I still think with its attendance problems this franchise could be sold and relocate to LA.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
yep - before this Jax actually had been listed by some as a trendy long-shot alternative to Indy in the division.

Give Del Rio credit that if this is his last stand he will make it with players he trusts - of course if they crash this cut seals his fate.

I still think with its attendance problems this franchise could be sold and relocate to LA.

From a football standpoint, Jax's main problem last year seemed to be that they were unable to keep their game at a decent standard against the weaker teams.

Getting beat by the Texans twice is pretty bad.

This LA thing is like the sword of Damocles hanging over any team (with a small market) that underachieves.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
From a football standpoint, Jax's main problem last year seemed to be that they were unable to keep their game at a decent standard against the weaker teams.

Getting beat by the Texans twice is pretty bad.

This LA thing is like the sword of Damocles hanging over any team (with a small market) that underachieves.

And unlike Indy or Minnesota the Jags cannot even shake down the city for new digs - it is simply in too small a metro area where the first loyalty is to the Gators and (north of Jax) UGA.

lilyoder6
09-01-2007, 09:02 AM
i think KC could use leftwich... i mean huard isn't all that.. he had a couple of good games and he is old... if they could pick him up at least they have a exp. QB

CantStop85
09-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't want either of these guys QBing my team. I would not be surprised if Let sat out most of the season until someone got desperate.

Someone will pick up Leftwich...he is a good QB, he just can never stay healthy.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Del Rio is damn sure on the hot seat. If the Jags don't challenge for the division and make the playoffs this year,he's gone.

Jacksonville was just a terrible place to put a pro football team. It's nothing but trailor park hillbillies and right in the middle of a huge SEC rivalry in Georgia and Florida. The people in the area care more for college football than they do NFL football.

nojobny
09-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Jaguars cut Leftwich, former starter and first-round pick
Associated Press

The Jacksonville Jaguars released oft-injured quarterback Byron Leftwich on Saturday, one day after announcing they planned to part ways with the former first-round draft pick.

The Jaguars had hoped to trade Leftwich, but also said they were prepared to release him in hopes of avoiding any locker room problems stemming from his demotion.

The team also released 18 others, including receiver Charles Sharon, defensive tackle Seth Payne and cornerbacks Bruce Thornton and Dee Webb.

The Jags also traded running back Alvin Pearman to Seattle for an undisclosed draft pick and placed defensive end James Wyche (groin) and receiver Mike Walker (knee) on injured reserve.

Walker, a third-round draft pick from Central Florida, injured his knee nearly two years ago and looked sharp in training camp. Coach Jack Del Rio even said recently that there was no chance Walker would go on IR.

Of course, Del Rio also said all year that Leftwich was his unquestioned starter. But David Garrard outperformed Leftwich in training camp and the preseason, prompting Del Rio to make the stunning change nine days before the season opener.

Leftwich and Sharon probably both feel duped by the Jaguars.

Sharon worked with the first-team offense throughout the summer and was a starter when training camp began - way ahead of Reggie Williams. But no one told Sharon that Williams was demoted solely in hopes of motivating the former first-round pick.

Sharon caught 10 passes for 138 yards in the preseason, but ended up vying with seventh-round pick John Broussard for the final receiver spot.

The other veterans cut were guard Dan Connolly, safety Jamaal Fudge and linebacker Nick Greisen.

Safety Josh Gattis (fifth round) was the only draft pick waived. First-year players cut included defensive tackle Joe Anoai, linebacker Kevis Coley, defensive lineman Walter Curry, offensive tackle Ryan Gibbons, defensive end Tyler King, defensive back Jamar Landrom, linebacker Roy Manning, guard Pete McMahon, cornerback Rashod Moulton and tight end Isaac Smolko.

The Jaguars hope to re-sign some of the cut players Sunday, when eight can be added to the practice squad.

Leftwich won't be one of them.

He was told he would be leaving Jacksonville on Friday after the Jags decided to go with Garrard.

Leftwich hasn't played a full season since being the seventh overall selection in the 2003 draft, and missed 15 games the last two years.

His release ends a turbulent relationship with Del Rio. Leftwich openly questioned Del Rio's decisions, and Del Rio felt the quarterback lied to him several times about his health.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Preacher
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Why do I have a feeling that the Jags just stopped having our number?

tony hipchest
09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Why do I have a feeling that the Jags just stopped having our number?because t. maddox is retired and ben no longer has an appendix?

Preacher
09-01-2007, 11:00 PM
because t. maddox is retired and ben no longer has an appendix?

:sofunny:

:buttkick:

CONTEXT OF THE THREAD TONY!!!!!

:wink02:

verks36
09-01-2007, 11:05 PM
because t. maddox is retired and ben no longer has an appendix?

HAHAAH maddox retired lol. Ah stutpid ass maddox and his interceptions to mathis. WOW i remeber how much i hated tommy after that game