PDA

View Full Version : It's not El's fault...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Really, I know we are all pissed off about the outcome and pissed off about the pass protection, lack of running game, the defense wearing out and letting players find holes in the middle of the field, etc etc.

But to put all the blame or even most of the blame on El or any 1 player is just not true or fair. 11 guys play offense and 11 guys didnt fully step up and play their best game. Credit the Pats defense and also our inability to counter what we knew was coming. But the passes that El dropped or the one lateral fumble deal he had did not make the outcome of the game. Ben was inconsistent and hurried, OL didnt give time to pass or make enough lanes to run...Willie missed some holes in the lanes that were there, other WR dropped balls too.

You cant even blame a kicker when they miss a last second FG to win the game when you're down by 1 w/ 10 seconds to go because the team should have never put themselves in a position like that in the first place.

Just my thoughts.. :smile:

Prosdo
09-26-2005, 04:48 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. ARE has been doing well. The lateral wasn't a smart move, but that one play alone did not make us lose. He had a bad game and it happens. The loss can not fall on the shoulders of one player.

clevestinks
09-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Blitz I agee with you. But he has to make these catches, as a starter in the NFL. Forget the fumble, but make the catches. Its more than just a completion. Its a first down, its momentum, its keping a drive alive, its Bems confidence over all, and in El. El was mot THE reason we lost. But his play is unexcusable. I drop fine, two maybe. But ???????????

Prosdo
09-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Blitz I agee with you. But he has to make these catches, as a starter in the NFL. Forget the fumble, but make the catches. Its more than just a completion. Its a first down, its momentum, its keping a drive alive, its Bems confidence over all, and in El. El was mot THE reason we lost. But his play is unexcusable. I drop fine, two maybe. But ???????????

You're right, he has to step it up no doubt. I just can't see some people blaming the whole loss on him.

tony hipchest
09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. ARE has been doing well. The lateral wasn't a smart move, but that one play alone did not make us lose. He had a bad game and it happens. The loss can not fall on the shoulders of one player.
i hate when i see steelerfans turn on a really good player who plays his heart out for the TEAM. after all hines ward didnt catch the ball. now im not slamming ward, just making a point but if ward lateralled to el and he dropped it would hines be catching the back lash? or would people be blasting el for not catching it and trying to run before he had the ball in his hands. didnt the final kickoff to the pats thet was returned to the pats 38 remind anyone of kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in the superbowl? and tom bradys legend continues for hitting wide open rb's in a dink and dunk passing game. not els fault. lets not vilify him. id hate to see him lose confidence in the future especially if the whole stadium starts booing him.

tony hipchest
09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
i hate when i see steelerfans turn on a really good player who plays his heart out for the TEAM. after all hines ward didnt catch the ball. now im not slamming ward, just making a point but if ward lateralled to el and he dropped it would hines be catching the back lash? or would people be blasting el for not catching it and trying to run before he had the ball in his hands. didnt the final kickoff to the pats thet was returned to the pats 38 remind anyone of kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in the superbowl? and tom bradys legend continues for hitting wide open rb's in a dink and dunk passing game. not els fault. lets not vilify him. id hate to see him lose confidence in the future especially if the whole stadium starts booing him.
this post was agreeing with the thread not accusing anyone in it of villifying randel el. he has a little pressure on him as a 1st year starter and he wanted this win as bad as anyone.

clevestinks
09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
this post was agreeing with the thread not accusing anyone in it of villifying randel el. he has a little pressure on him as a 1st year starter and he wanted this win as bad as anyone.

Your right. But El is in a contract year, he beat out Cedric Wilson, he is a starter, he is in the spotlight. El is a difference maker. Three games with three long plays for him. Like I said I do not blame El. But that doesnt mean that I think his performance was okay. He stunk. Yesterday. I am not down on him, he will rebound.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah El has to continue to step it up, I agree, he's gotta make the majority of those catches every time.. in the first 2 weeks he did, so Im just gonna chalk this one up to him having a bad day at the office and look forward to better things in 2 weeks against the bolts.

clevestinks
09-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Blitz I think your right, about the bad day at the office. So we will hold you to that quote! LOL

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
OK, If Im wrong and in the upcoming games we have El continues to struggle, then I'll consent that we outta get cedric in there more as the #2 guy. :grin:

tony hipchest
09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Blitz I think your right, about the bad day at the office. So we will hold you to that quote! LOL
yes because if el wants that $$$$ he wont get it in pittsburgh with too many more performances like that. (not like he will break the bank there anyways.) he probably lost $250,000 in bargaining power with that game alone.

Soldier4Steelers
09-26-2005, 06:48 PM
i dont think he lost it. its a team on the field. but, ill call it "the play" , say it turns into a touchdown, puts us up in a big way. it changes how the pats play.. and it changes how we play. i dont remember to many teams coming back on us. we have a legit D. and since the pats are the pats, when they are close, they wear the clock and let a team try and beat them, very hard to do. so el didnt "lose the game" but he did change its outcome. again it comes down to play calling and possesion. running 1st and 2nd and throwing on 3rd and 6ish is predictable, and the pats knows better.

he didnt lose the game, but he could of won it!

BB2W
09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
It is not all El's fault, but that play had an impact on the score... unless you think there is a turnover or a missed FG. There were a lot of plays that hurt us, the false start on the FG hurt us just as much. Besides the mental errors, there were bad plays by us throughout the game, and you must credit most of them to the great play by the Patriots.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 11:00 PM
the false start on the FG hurt us just as much.

Yeah that was a back breaker too cuz Jeff nailed that FG right down the middle !!

Soldier4Steelers
09-26-2005, 11:12 PM
the commentator nailed it when he said something like, the % of fg's made after a penalty are horrible. so true. poor reed, but that play/steelers unit is like 3rd or 4th on the scape'goat list of reasons why

Koopa
09-26-2005, 11:47 PM
also it was a 50+ yard field goal and no kicker has kicked on that long on our field

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Yeah reed had a chance to make history too..but in theory he did make it, but just not for the record books :wink:

Koopa
09-26-2005, 11:54 PM
i think reed will get that this season maybe even twice this season

Soldier4Steelers
09-26-2005, 11:56 PM
he can do it. he has done it on the road

pitt
09-27-2005, 12:00 AM
It wasn't all El's fault, but his stunt certainly didn't help.

ironcitychef
09-27-2005, 01:24 AM
The only thing I can say is we will never know. But should we have gotten 6 so close like that...Cowher's 93-1-1 record when up by 10 might have been in play.