PDA

View Full Version : Questions about The Turk

LambertLunatic
09-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Every year I read about The Turk coming to players rooms to tell them the coach wants them. Is the guy's name really Turk, or is this a generic name for whoever the designated grim reaper may be? If this is a generic name, does every team use the name Turk? Also, where does the name The Turk come from?

Another question is, has anybody ever heard of a player that was summoned by The Turk being able to talk the coach out of the decision of cutting him?

Rumor has it that The Turk is emailing LambertsLostTooth to inform him that he's being cut from this board. We'll miss you, buddy. (just messing with you, tooth. No insult intended)

yinzer-inseattle
09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Every year I read about The Turk coming to players rooms to tell them the coach wants them. Is the guy's name really Turk, or is this a generic name for whoever the designated grim reaper may be? If this is a generic name, does every team use the name Turk? Also, where does the name The Turk come from?

Another question is, has anybody ever heard of a player that was summoned by The Turk being able to talk the coach out of the decision of cutting him?

Rumor has it that The Turk is emailing LambertsLostTooth to inform him that he's being cut from this board. We'll miss you, buddy. (just messing with you, tooth. No insult intended)

Great questions Lunatic! I've tried to understand this as well. A few things that I have/ have not been able to find out. First, the Turk is not a person's name. I'm not sure where it comes from; if I had to guess it's a reference (maybe derogatory) to Turkish people. It's a generic term used by other NFL teams probably to hide the identity of the person(s) serving in this role. My understanding is that the Turk is just the messenger and it doesn't take too long for the players to figure out who this guy is; here's an article from Denver describing how their Turk operates. http://www.americanwaymag.com/tabid/2855/tabidext/3159/default.aspx. As he mentions, most guys avoid him like the plague. The only players who talk to him are the chosen few who know they are safe. Everybody else probably runs as soon as they see him.

Here's another article from AZ on how Whiz uses his Turks http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0831cards0901.html

When you think about it his job is pretty simple (albeit very tough); find the guy tell him to grab his play book and go see the head coach or director of operations. That's it. No discussion, no negotiation it's done.

If you've ever worked for a company that's downsizing they typically use a similar tatic. The only difference is that the NFL has to downsize every year.