PDA

View Full Version : Ann Arbor gets a major shock

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Michigan becomes the FIRST EVER Associated Press Top 25 team to fall to a Division I-AA/FCS team in history.

Congrats to the Appalachian State Mountaineers.

Elvis
09-01-2007, 02:58 PM
:jawdrop::banana::chicken::sofunny::toofunny::bana na:

If anyone is wondering... App State is from about 3 hours from me here western NC.. in a town named Boone, NC. This is so Awesome... GO BIG BLUE!!!!!! What a Joke.... heheeeeeee
Of course, App State is 2 time defending 1-AA national champs so I guess its not TOO BAD!!!!:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 03:11 PM
:jawdrop::banana::chicken::sofunny::toofunny::bana na:

If anyone is wondering... App State is from about 3 hours from me here western NC.. in a town named Boone, NC. This is so Awesome... GO BIG BLUE!!!!!! What a Joke.... heheeeeeee
Of course, App State is 2 time defending 1-AA national champs so I guess its not TOO BAD!!!!:toofunny:

Yeah I'm sure of that to. oh wait, I'm not.

Atlanta Dan
09-01-2007, 03:18 PM
The kicker for Michigan sleeps alone tonight - had a FG blocked to give the ball back to App State with 2 minutes to go for the go ahead final FG drive and then had a 37 yard FG blocked to end the game after Michigan completed a 45 yard pass with 6 seconds to go to set up the winning FG try.

Props to DirecTV for carrying the Big 10 Network that had the game and congrats to App State.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Man, do I wish I had the Big Ten network.

revefsreleets
09-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I watched three games at once at the sports bar, OSU, PSU and Michigan. PSU played really well against inferior competition, and got the blowout. Hard to say what that really means.

OSU played very conservatively against inferior competition, but at least YSU was well coached and very disciplined. Hard to say what OSU's win means.

Michigan took a half off against inferior competition, then tried like Hell to come back and failed. I'd say this team, no matter how well the may end up doing this year, is a black eye on the program FOREVER. Carr should be fired. UM should fall out of the top 25. All Michigan fans should look into moving to Antarctica.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
I watched three games at once at the sports bar, OSU, PSU and Michigan. PSU played really well against inferior competition, and got the blowout. Hard to say what that really means.

OSU played very conservatively against inferior competition, but at least YSU was well coached and very disciplined. Hard to say what OSU's win means.

Michigan took a half off against inferior competition, then tried like Hell to come back and failed. I'd say this team, no matter how well the may end up doing this year, is a black eye on the program FOREVER. Carr should be fired. UM should fall out of the top 25. All Michigan fans should look into moving to Antarctica.

or jumping off the bandwagon.

revefsreleets
09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Jump off the bandwagon and off the nearest bridge.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes. Always glad after a Michigan loss.:banana::chicken::banana:

touchdownward
09-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Michigan lost what's supposed to be a tuneup game. :point:

Crushzilla
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
or jumping off the bandwagon.

Bandwagon?

Michigan's football program is among the most successful in college football history. Michigan won the first Rose Bowl game in 1902, has won an NCAA-record 860 games and has an all-time winning percentage of .745, also an NCAA record. The Wolverine football program has claimed 11 national titles.

Riiiiiiiight.

I really wish I could have seen this game.

Too much. :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Michigan lost what's supposed to be a tuneup game. :point:

Sorta like last year with Colorado losing to a team in Division II.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Sorta like last year with Colorado losing to a team in Division II.

Except this is better because, well, it's Michicken.:sofunny::sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Except this is better because, well, it's Michicken.:sofunny::sofunny:

LOL!!!!! I'd love to see Penn State beat them in a couple of weeks in Ann Arbor.

verks36
09-01-2007, 07:04 PM
i wounder how woodley is feeling right now.

They lost to a division one AA team. and they were ranked in the top 5 lol

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:05 PM
i wounder how woodley is feeling right now.

They lost to a division one AA team. and they were ranked in the top 5 lol

He's probably saying thank god he wasn't playing, but is feeling sorry for those who were.

revefsreleets
09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I don;t think anyone is jumping off a bandwagon. But I do think there are a TON of UM fans sinking on their new Titanic right about now.

Crushzilla
09-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I don;t think anyone is jumping off a bandwagon. But I do think there are a TON of UM fans sinking on their new Titanic right about now.

For sure. Michigan can kiss their Big East aspirations goodbye.

Not Big East...

Idiot.

Atlanta Dan
09-01-2007, 07:47 PM
The obvious reason for the App State debacle becomes clear

Michigan is 0-3 since Bo died

http://www.sportsline.com/print/collegefootball/story/10328401

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 08:14 PM
The obvious reason for the App State debacle becomes clear

Michigan is 0-3 since Bo died

http://www.sportsline.com/print/collegefootball/story/10328401

seems like rough times even after bo has passed are in Ann Arbor.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2007, 11:27 PM
:sofunny::bouncy::toofunny::banana::chicken:

I HATE TSUN!

This is just awesome, it couldn't happen to a more deserving program.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-01-2007, 11:45 PM
The kicker for Michigan sleeps alone tonight.

Well I'm not piling on Wolverine fan tonight. The paramedics in that state have enough work pulling survivors out of the abyss.:mg:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2007, 11:54 PM
And Mike Hart was on the cover of the Big 10 region's SI 2007 College Football Preview. That reminds me, I need to tear off that cover and burn it.

GoFins11
09-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I can't really imagine how Michigan feels. I almost can when Florida lost at Mississippi State in '04 but it was the Zook era so.......its wasn't that unbelievable.

Meh...Michigan got what they deserved. Winers.

Edman
09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Michigan severely damaged their hopes for a New Years Bowl bid this year. This upset will haunt them down the stretch.

It seems their D really missed Lamar Woodley. He plays for the B&G now.

rog
09-02-2007, 03:34 PM
It's still a good thing that so many people put so much time into the preseason rankings right? What a joke.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 05:30 PM
It's still a good thing that so many people put so much time into the preseason rankings right? What a joke.

No rankings in my opinion(Especially the pre-season top 25's) should start until around the 4th week of the season when most conferences have started their conference games.

rog
09-02-2007, 06:33 PM
The first ranking should come out the first week of October no sooner. Maybe then the playing field would be level and teams like Boisie St would get a fair shot.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2007, 01:15 PM
No rankings in my opinion(Especially the pre-season top 25's) should start until around the 4th week of the season when most conferences have started their conference games.

Unfortunately lists draw readers (how else to explain the NFL power rankings when the title is settled by a 12 team playoff?) No chance the preseason rankings, which doom a dark horse team that is not ranked in the top 15 preseason from playing for the BCS title, are snuffed.

It is simply unfortunate that college FB polls influence which 2 teams are selected to play for the title.

revefsreleets
09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
The preseason rankings actually figure into some of the computer models, so they have some importance. After gloating to all the UM fans I know, a little common sense has settled in, and I'm starting to think about what this means for Michigan in the coming weeks. Next week is really interesting, as they have the Oregon Ducks coming into Ann Arbor, which isn't exactly a cream puff team. I'm guessing that as lackadaisical and unfocused as the Wolverines were last week, they come out the opposite this week, fired up and with a chip on their shoulders, and play lights-out football. It doesn't remove the permanent blemish this particular team tarnished the program with forever, but it will at least get that bad taste out of their mouth.

It also makes me want a playoff system even more. The other conferences will batter the Big Ten over this for years, but who's to say that Michigan won't win the rest of it's games and be firing on all cylinders by late November? And if they are, it won't matter in the current system. I hate to apologize for the hated Wolverines, but facts are facts.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I doubt that the Wolverines will win out. Oregon can spread them out just like ASU, and Oregon will put up more than 34 points. That Michigan defense really misses LaMarr Woodley and Leon Hall. That defense was overrated and it showed.

And it doesn't get easy at all with them playing Oregon...and Penn State...and Wisconsin...and then Ohio State to end the regular season.

Michigan's seniors came back for the following reasons:

Beat Ohio State
Go Undefeated
Compete for and possibly win a National Championship

Two of the three won't happen, and I do not see them beating Ohio State.

So this will be the legacy of the seniors:

Never went undefeated
Never competed for a National Championship
First Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division 1A) team ranked in the AP Top 25 (ranked #5) to ever lose to a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division 1AA) team

And you can probally end up adding:

Never beat Ohio State
Never won a Bowl game

Wow...what a legacy.

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
That's a shame for the that senior class. It's the best Carr has had.

revefsreleets
09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with all the above, but my point is more about "what if?". I really want to see a playoff. As an OSU fan, I'm firmly convinced that if the team needed to stay sharp after beating Michigan for a series of games, even if it's only like an 8 team tournament, they would have played a lot different brand of football than that piss poor performance they dumped out in Arizona last January. And for the teams that do have an early letdown, it gives them a chance if they get their act together.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I agree with all the above, but my point is more about "what if?". I really want to see a playoff. As an OSU fan, I'm firmly convinced that if the team needed to stay sharp after beating Michigan for a series of games, even if it's only like an 8 team tournament, they would have played a lot different brand of football than that piss poor performance they dumped out in Arizona last January. And for the teams that do have an early letdown, it gives them a chance if they get their act together.

I agree, but the NCAA and the schools make too much money off of having 5 billion bowl games. Not to mention all the money each city that holds a bowl game makes.

Hines0wnz
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I agree, but the NCAA and the schools make too much money off of having 5 billion bowl games. Not to mention all the money each city that holds a bowl game makes.

Its always about the greenbacks.

:cash:cash:cash

RoethlisBURGHer
09-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Its always about the greenbacks.

:cash:cash:cash

Yep, that's for sure.

rog
09-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I still think it's funny that not only did Michigan lose to a D1 AA team the paid them $400,000 to come play them.

StinkyB
09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I think the best part is that App State walks away from the game with $400,000 meant for the beating they were supposed to take.