PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Signs 4 Year Deal

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Steelers' Simmons signs 4-year contract
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Kendall Simmons signed a contract extension with the Steelers today that will keep him on the team through the 2011 season.

Mr. Simmons' four-year extension is worth $24 million, $8.5 million of which is guaranteed.

Mr. Simmons, the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 2002 from Auburn, has been the their starting right guard since his rookie season.

His missed the 2004 season with a knee injury.

Mr. Simmons' signing likely means that there will be no new contract for Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca. Both guards were in the last year of their contracts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07245/814233-100.stm

Smashmouth225
09-02-2007, 11:40 AM
If and when Faneca leaves i believe Simmons takes over @ LG.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Hopefully Simmons plays up to this contract he signed...I think he if finally healthy for the first time in a long time so that should help to improve his play...I know Faneca will be pissed to hear Simmons got a new deal and he didn't...lol

Livinginthe past
09-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Well 4 years/$24million is a little more than others had predicted - $3-4million per year was what was expected - $6million is the reality.

I thought they would lock him up for longer than 4 years...6 was my prediction and at about $5.5million per year.

Dynasty
09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I really wish they would have at least tried to resign Faneca instead of Simmons.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Well, Simmons is "smiling like a butcher's dog" today. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue. This is the same guy we won a Super Bowl with in 05. This is also the same guy who tends to play off and on over the course of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even during our XL year it took him half the season to turn it on.

I guess overall I don't mind resigning the guy, but I'm not exactly liking the contract amount. Take it fwiw, to put this in context, Ty Warren got a contract that averages out to just over seven million a year.

yinzer-inseattle
09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Hopefully Simmons plays up to this contract he signed...I think he if finally healthy for the first time in a long time so that should help to improve his play...I know Faneca will be pissed to hear Simmons got a new deal and he didn't...lol

Does anyone else wonder if Alan had not thrown a fit earlier this year that the Rooneys might have worked a deal for him instead of Simmons? Fancea aired some grievances that were more of a personal shot to the Rooneys. I dont see the Rooneys as being spiteful especially when it comes to making business decisions. But I wonder if they have soured to Faneca and therefore could not make him an offer. They are, after all, only human.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, Simmons is "smiling like a butcher's dog" today. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue. This is the same guy we won a Super Bowl with in 05. This is also the same guy that tends to play off and on during a season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even during our XL season it took him half the season to turn it on.

Overall, I don't mind resigning the guy, but I'm not exactly liking the contract amount. Take it fwiw, to put this in context, Ty Warren got a contract that averages out to just over 7 mil a year.

You're right about Simmons during the 2005 season....It wasn't until the Bears game and after that Simmons started really to play well that year...But the guy has battled health issues since 2004 with a torn ACL and adult diabetes....This pre-season Simmons finally seems to be fully healthy so hopefully his play will improve...I agree about the contract amount to....But hey anymore the market for player is just way over priced.....

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Does anyone else wonder if Alan had not thrown a fit earlier this year that the Rooneys might have worked a deal for him instead of Simmons?

IMO, I don't feel the Rooney's are the type to hold a grudge on a player who decided to speak out over his contract situation. Just like how I don't feel Faneca would hold a grudge if the Rooney's decided to pay him out the arse.

It's all comes down to MONEY. "It's not personal, it's business".

OneForTheToe
09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
At first glance it seems a bit high for Simmons, but then I think by 2010 he will be grossly underpaid. :pity: Obviously, one thinks this is further evidence that the Steelers are not to bring back Faneca. But, they were not going to bring back Faneca even without Simmons new contract. I think it will have a greater impact on other players on the line. Max Starks will be gone. Also, I would have to think that either Marvel Smith restructures his contract for next season or he might be a cap casualty as well. :juggle:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Does anyone else wonder if Alan had not thrown a fit earlier this year that the Rooneys might have worked a deal for him instead of Simmons? Fancea aired some grievances that were more of a personal shot to the Rooneys. I dont see the Rooneys as being spiteful especially when it comes to makeing business decisions. But I wonder if they have soured to Faneca and therefore could not make him an offer. They are, after all, only human.

Oh I agree with you....Faneca acting and whining like a little girl probably hurt his chances for a new deal.....

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
so hopefully his play will improve

And I will pray tonight that your right.

Smashmouth225
09-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Simmons is playing the the best right now out of all the linemen. He is healthy now, and it shows. I like Simmons and always believed his struggles was a result of medical issues.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh I agree with you....Faneca acting and whining like a little girl probably hurt his chances for a new deal.....

Of course, if Faneca had been willing to sign for 6 million a year (with only 8 guarenteed) then he would have been signed a long time ago, regardless of his histrionics. :wink02:

tony hipchest
09-02-2007, 12:34 PM
in pittsburgh it seems the squeaky wheel DOES NOT get the grease. it is left to rust and fall off (faneca, plaxico, porter) while the quiet smooth running wheels makes sure the machine still runs (hampton, a. smith, simmons) and receive appropriate "maintenance".

of course ward is the exception... however some of his grease may need to be spread out after this year. we'll see how squeaky he gets then.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I really wish they would have at least tried to resign Faneca instead of Simmons.

Just because someone was not willing to pay top dollar during the housing bubble several years ago does not mean they were not trying to buy a house - in hindsight those people made the right choice. It is a valuation issue.

The Steelers and Faneca simply had grossly disparate opinions as to Faneca's value - it was strictly business.

If Faneca rebounds to his 2000-2005 level of play from 2008-2010 then the Steelers guessed wrong by not matching his price, but you cannot afford to sign everyone (e.g. - James leaves the Colts, Hutchinson leaves the Seahawks).

Simmons has experienced injury issues but he is younger than Faneca - IMO it is like buying value stocks and is a prudent investment.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
of course ward is the exception... however some of his grease may need to be spread out after this year. we'll see how squeaky he gets then.

Not to worry Tone - Ward will just pull out the letter from Tomlin he keeps in his Bible for inspiration and decide if he is asked to take a salary cut it is God's will.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2007, 12:48 PM
The key to this contract is that there is only 8.5 gaurenteed. So, while Simmons would have been under contract this year anyways, if the Steelers get good years in (08-09) and (09-10) out of Simmons, the contract is well worth it even if they don't get the final year.

Edited to add: There is no way Faneca would sign anywhere near 8.5 million in gaurenteed money. Most likely Faneca is looking in the 15 to 20 million range in gaurenteed cash. This is why a Faneca deal has been doa from the beginning. With Troy now and Ben later getting large gaurenteed money, there just isn't going to be much gaurenteed money available for others.

rog
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I like Simmons and this deal. If he would have not signed and had a great year some team out there would have overpaid big time for him just like some teams did for lineman this past offseason.

tony hipchest
09-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Not to worry Tone - Ward will just pull out the letter from Tomlin he keeps in his Bible for inspiration and decide if he is asked to take a salary cut it is God's will.:sofunny:

:dang:- how could i forget the magical letter of inspiration? i do like the current crop of "ward being sold" stories such as tomlin calling him a coach on the field and him having tomlins trinkets as keepsakes.

I hope God shows him the light so we can keep more players like simmons, smith(s), ben, heath etc.

sometimes Gods light is green though :banging:

The Duke
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks to Okobi I guess. Faneca most be kicking himself right now

Edman
09-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Simmons seemed to impress the coaching staff more than the fans. I really hope the FO knows what they're doing.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Simmons seemed to impress the coaching staff more than the fans. I really hope the FO knows what they're doing.

A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. Once negotiations with Faneca blew up and it was clear Starks was gone after 2007, any $$ for the OL that the Steelers were going to spend in 2007 were going to Simmons if a price could be negotiated.

Galax Steeler
09-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I like simmons he will be the heart of the line for years to come.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I like simmons he will be the heart of the line for years to come.

I respectfully disagree - Kuhn is going to hit the weight room and come back as a guard to replace Faneca in 2008.

tony hipchest
09-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I respectfully disagree - Kuhn is going to hit the weight room and come back as a guard to replace Faneca in 2008.:toofunny:

*puts the needle to the grove of the jimmy cliff 45*

it will be known as "The Resurrection" of big bad john.

the man...the myth... the legend....

Haiku_Dirtt
09-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, Simmons is "smiling like a butcher's dog" today. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue.

I'd rather be my dog on most days.

I don't get how some co-mingle Faneca's contract with Simmons though. Alan has an agent backing up a 14-ton dump truck ready for the fill. And although he deserves a big payday Fort Knox is not in Western PA.

ChronoCross
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM

They did try to resign Faneca.. But did not meet the price Faneca wanted.

Faneca right now is probably so mad he is going to hurt are season.. Watch..

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I'd rather be my dog on most days.

I don't get how some co-mingle Faneca's contract with Simmons though. Alan has an agent backing up a 14-ton dump truck ready for the fill. And although he deserves a big payday Fort Knox is not in Western PA.

You have money in your budget for a car and cannot meet the dealer's price on the Lexus so you buy a Camry.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 03:36 PM
They did try to resign Faneca.. But did not meet the price Faneca wanted.

Faneca right now is probably so made he is going to hurt are season.. Watch..

If he pulls the trigger on that gun he will shoot himself - good luck trying to argue in FA negotiations you had a bad year because you were mad at your team. Hard to spin that as an incentive for someone to want to sign you up for a mega-contract.

HometownGal
09-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm happy that Kendall signed for 4 years, but I have to agree with the consensus here - I think the contract is a little high. I feel 24/4 is too steep to compensate Faneca and he's a 6 time Pro Bowler - paying Simmons that amount, when he doesn't have Faneca's all around experience and versatility (fwiw - Faneca "subbed" at LT for a period during the 2003 season), is a bit of a stretch imho.

rog
09-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Faneca is going to have a great season because he's finaly playing for someone he cares about.....himself. I'm happy for Simmons.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm happy that Kendall signed for 4 years, but I have to agree with the consensus here - I think the contract is a little high. I feel 24/4 is too steep to compensate Faneca and he's a 6 time Pro Bowler - paying Simmons that amount, when he doesn't have Faneca's all around experience and versatility (fwiw - Faneca "subbed" at LT for a period during the 2003 season), is a bit of a stretch imho.

As opposed to $49 million/7 ($17 million guaranteed) for Steinbach?

The backend $$ mean nothing - as another poster noted, only $8.5 million is guaranteed

What was Faneca's last offer (Steinbach's deal)? - Simmons is not Faneca, but he is younger and cheaper -

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
M. Jagger/K. Richard

"As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want"
D. Rumsfeld

ChronoCross
09-02-2007, 03:57 PM
If he pulls the trigger on that gun he will shoot himself - good luck trying to argue in FA negotiations you had a bad year because you were mad at your team. Hard to spin that as an incentive for someone to want to sign you up for a mega-contract.

He Pulled the gun on one play in the Eagles game. Faneca moved back then just a step to the left and the Eagles player went right by him.. Faneca made no effort to block that guy..

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 04:01 PM
He Pulled the gun on one play in the Eagles game. Faneca moved back then just a step to the left and the Eagles player went right by him.. Faneca made no effort to block that guy..

Agreed (he also had a dumb ass motion penalty) but that was preseason - I am not going to romanticize Alan playing well for his mates but it is in his self-interest to play as well as possible during the regular season of a contract year

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Exactly like ATL. Dan said if Faneca wants the big money he is going to ask for next year then he better have a lights out type of year...If not teams might not want to shell out the coin for an aging OG...

ChronoCross
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Agreed (he also had a dumb ass motion penalty) but that was preseason - I am not going to romanticize Alan playing well for his mates but it is in his self-interest to play as well as possible during the regular season of a contract year

I totally agree it would be in his best interest to play well. It just made me wonder is all when I see things like that happen. Is it a Faneca to FO pay me deal are was it just a miss play is all. I hope this season he plays his best. I would think he would do his best to be able to show other teams he did not loose a step and is still a top notch guard to get the best contract he wants in his price range.

HometownGal
09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
As opposed to $49 million/7 ($17 million guaranteed) for Steinbach?

The backend $$ mean nothing - as another poster noted, only $8.5 million is guaranteed

What was Faneca's last offer (Steinbach's deal)? - Simmons is not Faneca, but he is younger and cheaper -

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
M. Jagger/K. Richard

"As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want"
D. Rumsfeld

Dan - I wasn't disputing Simmons' worth to the team. :wink02: I just think the face value of the contract is a little steep.

ShutDown24
09-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I am glad they signed Kendall... I think he is almost as valuable to the team as Faneca and WAY cheaper... Plus he is a great guy.

SteelShooter
09-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Does anyone else wonder if Alan had not thrown a fit earlier this year that the Rooneys might have worked a deal for him instead of Simmons? Fancea aired some grievances that were more of a personal shot to the Rooneys. I dont see the Rooneys as being spiteful especially when it comes to making business decisions. But I wonder if they have soured to Faneca and therefore could not make him an offer. They are, after all, only human.

I believe that is exactly what happened yinzer! :thumbsup: He ran his mouth too much to the press. If he would would have remained a little more reserved with the media I believe they may have extended a more lucrative offer in the end.

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Dan - I wasn't disputing Simmons' worth to the team. :wink02: I just think the face value of the contract is a little steep.

T.H. has posted on this at length - the Steelers will always be chasing the market rate that is set by other teams because they never negotiate a new contract until a player has 1 year to go on his current contract. That really hurt this year because the market rate for interior offensive linemen exploded.

The Steelers could have signed Faneca up for a lot less if they had negotiated with him in 2006 - unfortunately I think Simmons is a realistic price for what guards of his skills are drawing these days - he could have been signed for less as well but negotiating with Simmons apparently was never an option until negotiations with Faneca crashed.

Elvis
09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I am glad to see them get Simmons signed to a long term deal so that we wont have to worry about gettting him signed in the offseason. And we definitely dont want to lose him also. I just dont think that Faneca is that a dominating lineman that everyone says he is. He gets beat atleast once a game... I just dont understand how he gets all the praise that he does..
:tt02:

Preacher
09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
I believe that is exactly what happened yinzer! :thumbsup: He ran his mouth too much to the press. If he would would have remained a little more reserved with the media I believe they may have extended a more lucrative offer in the end.

Naaa... I really think that it was already over. Faneca was just crying about it. What is so sad... is that it is really affecting his play now. Thus, he MAY not get his big contract...

as I have said NUMEROUS times, I would laugh if he ends up signing for close to what the steelers were offering.

Preacher
09-03-2007, 12:04 AM
I am glad to see them get Simmons signed to a long term deal so that we wont have to worry about gettting him signed in the offseason. And we definitely dont want to lose him also. I just dont think that Faneca is that a dominating lineman that everyone says he is. He gets beat atleast once a game... I just dont understand how he gets all the praise that he does..
:tt02:

Your exactly right.

revefsreleets
09-03-2007, 09:22 PM
This is a value signing, and smart on the Steelers part, because at the level he's playing at now would have priced him out of the Steelers comfort zone if both he and the Steelers have a great season. But here's the catch: We need Kendall Simmons to play to AT LEAST his worth now, if not more, and not get lazy. Hopefully he's happy and we get what we paid for and more.

geo1963
09-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree about Faneca. He is still a quality guard in the nfl, but over the course of the next few years he is no going to get any better. Simmons on the other other hand is still quite young and has battled some injuries. I think the Steelers feel that he does have an upside as Faneca has begun to come back to the pack. It's a bit of a risk, but from a financial perspective, probably the best move.