PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign eight to PS

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Steelers sign eight players to practice squad
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today signed eight players to the practice squad.

Seven of them were with the team in training camp. They include wide receiver Dallas Baker, tight end Jon Dekker, defensive back Grant Mason, defensive lineman Ryan McBean, defensive lineman Scott Paxon, center/guard Marvin Philip and wide receiver Gerran Walker.

The Steelers also signed running back Jamaal Branch, who had been with the New Orleans Saints.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07245/814235-100.stm

rog
09-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know anything about Jamaal Branch?

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 03:13 PM
No Jason Capizzi.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, I only got a couple of them , but what of Capizzi? Was he picked up bt someone else?

Galax Steeler
09-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I would have liked to have kept capizzi .

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know anything about Jamaal Branch?

Ht: 6' 0" Wt: 225 Age: 25
Born: 1/30/1981, Hartford, CT
College: Colgate
NFL Experience: 1st season

1 game played / 10 attempts / 29 yards / 2.9 average / 0 TDs / 0 Fumbles

That's all I know about him. Became expendable with the Saints backfield situation.

Atlanta Dan
I thought Philip could not qualify for PS - that provides some insurance if the C position unravels

The Duke
Some lucky team will get cappizi

rog
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Ht: 6' 0" Wt: 225 Age: 25
Born: 1/30/1981, Hartford, CT
College: Colgate
NFL Experience: 1st season

1 game played / 10 attempts / 29 yards / 2.9 average / 0 TDs / 0 Fumbles

That's all I know about him. Became expendable with the Saints backfield situation.

Thanks

Haiku_Dirtt
09-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I thought Philip could not qualify for PS - that provides some insurance if the C position unravels

Hurricane or flood insurance? Guess we can ask Katrina victims if there is a difference.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2007, 03:33 PM

I thought Phillip was done as well. but if you read the rules it actually uses the term "active" as a requirement for counting towards a acrrued season.

http://www.nflpa.org/CBA/CBA.aspx

[i]
PRACTICE SQUADS

PRACTICE SQUADS
On Sunday, September 2, 2007, the day after the final pre-season cutdowns, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents and who do not have more than nine games on an Active list in a previous season. .................... In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with any NFL club to play on their Active/Inactive list.

So, i guess Phillip was not on the active list for nine games.

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/64120/

2006 (0-0): Did not see action in his rookie season…9/7 vs. Miami: Was inactive…9/18 at Jacksonville: Was inactive…9/24 vs. Cincinnati: Was inactive…10/8 at San Diego: Was inactive…10/15 vs. Kansas City: Was inactive…10/22 at Atlanta: Was inactive…10/29 at Oakland: Was inactive…11/5 vs. Denver: Was active but did not play…11/12 vs. New Orleans: Dressed but did not play…11/19 at Cleveland: Was inactive…11/26 at Baltimore: Was inactive…12/3 vs. Tampa Bay: Was inactive…12/7 vs. Cleveland: Was inactive…12/17 at Carolina: Was inactive…12/24 vs. Baltimore: Was inactive…12/31 at Cincinnati: Was inactive.

I think the above is correct.

This makes me feel much better about the insurance at center. Interesting, that the Steelers checked with the NFL and Frenchie was eligible to go onto the practice squad, but I guess they didn’t want him to be available to another team.

rog
09-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know what kind of pay the practice squad guys get? I have wondered this for awhile.

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know what kind of pay the practice squad guys get? I have wondered this for awhile.

A rough guess on my part, but I believe it's around $50,000.

The Duke
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM

:jawdrop: Can I get on the practice squad

OneForTheToe
09-02-2007, 03:49 PM

.......... The minimum salary for a practice squad player is $4,700 per week, including the playoff weeks. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with any NFL club to play on their Active/Inactive list.

so $4,700.00 * 17 weeks = $79,900.

That doesn't include playoffs. Not bad money to just practice.

rog
09-02-2007, 03:49 PM

That is about what I guessed. Not a bad deal though.

tony hipchest
09-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I thought Philip could not qualify for PS - that provides some insurance if the C position unravels definitely confusing :huh: but i guess this clears it up:

I thought Phillip was done as well. but if you read the rules it actually uses the term "active" as a requirement for counting towards a acrrued season.

[i]

So, i guess Phillip was not on the active list for nine games.

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/64120/

I think the above is correct.

This makes me feel much better about the insurance at center. Interesting, that the Steelers checked with the NFL and Frenchie was eligible to go onto the practice squad, but I guess they didn?t want him to be available to another team.

like dan, im happy to see this insurance land on the practice squad. it makes sense that colon wasnt active for more than 9 games with okilbi and hartings relatively healthy all year.

it also makes sense that kuhn spent alot of time active on gamedays with verron and duce on the shelf.

thanks for the research oneforthetoe.

im suprised capizzi didnt make it, too. seemed like a worthy project. we may see him in camp next season though.

steelwolf21
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know if any of the other relatively big name cuts have been picked up yet? (Haynes, okobi, Chidi, Kuhn, Caprizzi were the ones I was thinking of)

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Was Walter Young ineligible for the PS?

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Well, I only got a couple of them , but what of Capizzi? Was he picked up bt someone else?

The Clowns have been rumored to have picked him up.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
09-02-2007, 09:54 PM
not sure i understand the importance of picking up another running back, since we have so many young guys on this roster already...i also believe that st. pierre is wasting a roster spot that could have went to capizzi.

i would also like for the steelers to dump reid and pick up another wide receiver...i live in florida, and trust me, he's NOT a wide receiver. if he's not returning kicks / punts, then he's wasting a roster space.

i see this roster changing a little bit over the next couple weeks...but i could be wrong.

Preacher
09-02-2007, 11:55 PM
not sure i understand the importance of picking up another running back, since we have so many young guys on this roster already...i also believe that st. pierre is wasting a roster spot that could have went to capizzi.

i would also like for the steelers to dump reid and pick up another wide receiver...i live in florida, and trust me, he's NOT a wide receiver. if he's not returning kicks / punts, then he's wasting a roster space.

i see this roster changing a little bit over the next couple weeks...but i could be wrong.

My first guess is so that the D can beat up on him during practices.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Was Walter Young ineligible for the PS?

Correct. It was not possible to put him on the PS.

Preacher
09-03-2007, 01:23 AM

I don't know... I was watching the 4th game, and he looked pretty decent in the catches he did make.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2007, 01:27 AM
I don't know... I was watching the 4th game, and he looked pretty decent in the catches he did make.

I agree. I also recall Anthony Smith lighting him up on two different occasions during TC and he hung on to both passes. His WR skills look pretty good (solid #4, possible future #3), I'm more concerned with his PR skills. Thankfully, Tomlin brought in another option.

Preacher
09-03-2007, 02:26 AM
I agree. I also recall Anthony Smith lighting him up on two different occasions during TC and he hung on to both passes. His WR skills look pretty good (solid #4, possible future #3), I'm more concerned with his PR skills. Thankfully, Tomlin brought in another option.

Thats right... I forgot about him and Anthony Smith. You know, I really think his PR skills will be okay. He looked pretty good last week. Lets see what happens after that though.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Lets see what happens after that though.

Yep. I just hope it doesn't take Tomlin calling him out every week in order for his skills to show.

Preacher
09-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Yep. I just hope it doesn't take Tomlin calling him out every week in order for his skills to show.

YOu and me both.

However, don't you love the fact that Tomlin CAN call them out like that?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Correct. It was not possible to put him on the PS.

Thanks 83. I was really hoping that we 'd keep Young because he's looked pretty good this preseason but I guess we dont want the roster to be WR saturated.

StinkyB
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
:jawdrop: Can I get on the practice squad

passing on the blocking dummy comment. (too easy)