PDA

View Full Version : Frye to start against the Steelers

The Duke
09-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Frye will be Browns' starter for opener

BEREA, Ohio -- Charlie Frye will start at quarterback for Cleveland's season opener Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Frye, who started 13 games last year, entered training camp slightly behind Derek Anderson in the quarterback competition. But he outperformed Anderson during preseason games and directed one touchdown drive against the Denver Broncos. Anderson produced no touchdowns when he led the offense during preseason games.

David Maxwell / Getty Images
Charlie Frye started 13 games for the Browns in 2006.

Coach Romeo Crennel said Monday the position will be evaluated on a weekly basis. But he wouldn't say if Frye's backup was rookie Brady Quinn, a first-round draft pick, or Anderson.

Quinn, selected 22nd overall in April, missed 11 days of training camp in a holdout, but led four touchdown drives in three preseason games, mostly against backups.

Crennel said Frye's experience playing against Pittsburgh and as a team leader was the deciding factor.

"I think that gives us the best chance to win," he said.

Frye said he's looking forward to facing the rival Steelers.

"Obviously I'm excited," he said. "I've been working hard. The competition's been going since minicamp, and I think all of us have benefited from it. It's going to help the team."

The Browns on Saturday released a fourth quarterback, Ken Dorsey, who acted as a mentor to Quinn during training camp.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802063fe&template=with-video&confirm=true

I don't get it, first they say they're going to keep the steelers guessing who will start and now they confirm Frye will start. Browns Front office :dang:

Crennel said Frye's experience playing against Pittsburgh and as a team leader was the deciding factor.

He means experience at getting his ass kicked against pittsburgh right :wink02:

j-dawg
09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Savage had a pretty in depth press conference on Saturday. He made some points that I was glad to hear.

“I felt it was unrealistic to expect a quarterback to come in after holding out and missing 16 practices, not play in the first preseason game, play in the remaining preseason games and then be at the controls of an $800 million organization against some pretty complex defenses.”

Savage also pointed out that Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye combined to attempt about 700 passes during training camp and preseason games. Quinn attempted 97 passes prior to last week.

Savage thinks that having better surrounding talent will make Frye a more productive quarterback, I totally agree.

Everybody knew, (team, coaching, general manager, most of the fans) that after the bears preseason game, Frye was going to start against the Steelers.

stillers4me
09-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Looks like we'll have to wait til November to use Quinn as a tackling dummy. We'll be warmed up good by then...................:wink02:

Are they going to have to put Brady in a separate room on Sunday when he cries and pouts on the sideline????? :coffee:

rog
09-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Atleast there are not going to ruin any chance of a real career for Brady right away.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I knew it was going to be Frye....I knew Anderson wouldn't win the job...I'm just sad the Steelers won't get to kick the living crap out of Brady Quinn Sunday....lol I can't wait until Harrison,Haggans or Woodley knock the crap out of him though...lol

MACH1
09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Atleast there are not going to ruin any chance of a real career for Brady right away.

It was ruined when they drafted him.....:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2007, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=j-dawg;287427]

Savage thinks that having better surrounding talent will make Frye a more productive quarterback, I totally agree.

QUOTE]
:jawdrop: wow !!! this savage guy is a freakin genius !!! :toofunny:

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Looks like we'll have to wait til November to use Quinn as a tackling dummy. We'll be warmed up good by then...................:wink02:

Are they going to have to put Brady in a separate room on Sunday when he cries and pouts on the sideline????? :coffee:

You can bet there will be sideline shots with the Brady-Cam of his reactions whenever Frye gets sacked, intercepted, or otherwise screws up.

j-dawg
09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=j-dawg;287427]

QUOTE]
:jawdrop: wow !!! this savage guy is a freakin genius !!! :toofunny:

:yawn:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/snatchers2.jpg

are not funny. :flap:

steelerbackr4life
09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Does it really matter who the Brown stains put under center? I say that Harrison is the first one to get a sack in 2007 and it comes against whoever is the unfortunate individual playing QB for the Brown stains

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=MasterOfPuppets;287449]

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/snatchers2.jpg

are not funny. :flap:

awe c'mon now j dawg....you gotta admit, that statement ranks right up there with saying water is wet ....

tony hipchest
09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
dallas cowboys are on the clock

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2007, 06:16 PM
dallas cowboys are on the clock
:toofunny:

CantStop85
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Frye is definitely the Brown's best chance at this point. His mobility certainly doesn't hurt. He's actually a pretty decent quarterback in my opinion, but his supporting cast has been lacking recently. I think he would be good in a west coast offense.

The Duke
09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Frye is definitely the Brown's best chance at this point. His mobility certainly doesn't hurt. He's actually a pretty decent quarterback in my opinion, but his supporting cast has been lacking recently. I think he would be good in a west coast offense.

:toofunny: Recently?

But I agree, Frye is a decent quarterback, with some good weapons he could be a good QB. But I'm tired of the steelers beating him up, thankfully the Browns got us new blood in Quinn

stillers4me
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Does it really matter who the Brown stains put under center? I say that Harrison is the first one to get a sack in 2007 and it comes against whoever is the unfortunate individual playing QB for the Brown stains

I second that motion! :banana:

revefsreleets
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Phil Savage opened his mouth and inserted his foot in the Plain Dealer today. He basically compared his team favorably to Denver and the Bears and said he expects to win a lot this year. Since the PD sucks and makes it almost impossible to quote without spam and ads and junk, here are excerpts:

"You can go down the list and there are some comparisons on both sides of the coin," Savage said. "They were a Super Bowl team and we're perceived to be at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL, but I'm not sure there's that much difference. The league is very competitive because of all sorts of things like injuries and confidence."

"When we played Denver, in my mind, the only difference was that they've had a winning tradition for a long time," Savage said.

"But from a talent standpoint, man to man, we're competitive. We played three playoff teams in preseason and Detroit was the one that wore us out. In the NFL, the talent is relative and competitive across the league. We're at a point where we're in the mix."

Alrighty, Phil. Whatever you say. I still have them only winning 6 games or so.

j-dawg
09-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Phil Savage opened his mouth and inserted his foot in the Plain Dealer today. He basically compared his team favorably to Denver and the Bears and said he expects to win a lot this year. Since the PD sucks and makes it almost impossible to quote without spam and ads and junk, here are excerpts:

"You can go down the list and there are some comparisons on both sides of the coin," Savage said. "They were a Super Bowl team and we're perceived to be at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL, but I'm not sure there's that much difference. The league is very competitive because of all sorts of things like injuries and confidence."

"When we played Denver, in my mind, the only difference was that they've had a winning tradition for a long time," Savage said.

"But from a talent standpoint, man to man, we're competitive. We played three playoff teams in preseason and Detroit was the one that wore us out. In the NFL, the talent is relative and competitive across the league. We're at a point where we're in the mix."

Alrighty, Phil. Whatever you say. I still have them only winning 6 games or so.

Phil also made sure to mention that some of the Browns? first-round draft picks prior to his arrival in Cleveland are making no impact in the NFL. ?As of today at 4 p.m., Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren and William Green could conceivably all be out of the NFL in its entirety," he said. ?You talk about setting an organization on its ear. Those were top three picks (Couch, Brown and Warren) and a top-20 running back (Green). That speaks volumes as to where we were starting from. You couldn?t take another team out there and knock off four number one picks that you got nothing out of and say they?re going to go to the playoffs. That is unrealistic.?

So yeah, the General Manager of my favorite team believes we have some solid impact players that are going to shine this year, possibly giving us a few more wins than most people think.

revefsreleets
09-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, let's be fair. Savage isn't immune from being fired, either. Him stating that Crennel's job is completely safe is like Britany Spears guaranteeing that Lindsey Lohan will stay sober. He HAS to be a cheerleader at this point. What is his other option, saying "Yeah, we still suck, but we suck a little less"?

Regardless, the team will be better this year, but the degree to which it will be better is highly dubious, and certainly doesn't warrant Savage's overconfidence. The worst thing he could do for himself is get the Browns fans already unrealistic expectations up higher than they already are. Look at you! You're chomping at the bit and thinking playoffs, aren't you? Why? Are you actually buying all this?

Sorry, if this Browns team wins 7 games this year it's the Browns equivalent of a Super Bowl.

j-dawg
09-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Well, let's be fair. Savage isn't immune from being fired, either. Him stating that Crennel's job is completely safe is like Britany Spears guaranteeing that Lindsey Lohan will stay sober. He HAS to be a cheerleader at this point. What is his other option, saying "Yeah, we still suck, but we suck a little less"?

Regardless, the team will be better this year, but the degree to which it will be better is highly dubious, and certainly doesn't warrant Savage's overconfidence. The worst thing he could do for himself is get the Browns fans already unrealistic expectations up higher than they already are. Look at you! You're chomping at the bit and thinking playoffs, aren't you? Why? Are you actually buying all this?

Sorry, if this Browns team wins 7 games this year it's the Browns equivalent of a Super Bowl.

hey, i don't think the browns will get more than seven wins this year, but i think they'll be a lot more competitive, especially in their own division. i also think the browns will have a few players that might be in the pro-bowl this year. they're going to have problems with the run defense AGAIN, but i think the secondary is going to be hella tough. savage didn't say that they were going to the playoffs this year... he only said that they're not as close to the bottom of the barrel as many think.

Elvis
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
:sign03::sign01::tt::danceshout:
Lets Get This Party Started.....
Its Doesnt Matter Who Starts For Da Brownies!!!

revefsreleets
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
hey, i don't think the browns will get more than seven wins this year, but i think they'll be a lot more competitive, especially in their own division. i also think the browns will have a few players that might be in the pro-bowl this year. they're going to have problems with the run defense AGAIN, but i think the secondary is going to be hella tough. savage didn't say that they were going to the playoffs this year... he only said that they're not as close to the bottom of the barrel as many think.

All I want is a team that can compete. I live in Cleveland, and it's gotten boring. I want the old rivalry back. Hell, I'm hosting a Steelers/Browns party this Sunday, and I can't get anybody but Steelers fans to come.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2007, 08:00 PM
All I want is a team that can compete. I live in Cleveland, and it's gotten boring. I want the old rivalry back. Hell, I'm hosting a Steelers/Browns party this Sunday, and I can't get anybody but Steelers fans to come.:uhh: and thats a bad thing ??? hell just don't flush and ya got yer brown fans in there gear representin....

stillers4me
09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
All I want is a team that can compete. I live in Cleveland, and it's gotten boring. I want the old rivalry back. Hell, I'm hosting a Steelers/Browns party this Sunday, and I can't get anybody but Steelers fans to come.

Sounds perfect!! Now if I could only get that to happen in Cinci.....:sofunny:

Ohio Steeler
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
I say we knock Frye out by half time and then we knock Quinn out by the end of the 3rd period

j-dawg
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I say we knock Frye out by half time and then we knock Quinn out by the end of the 3rd period

with all the money the browns spent on the offensive line, i certainly hope that's not the case.

The Duke
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM

And then we have some fun knocking out Derek Anderson too :wink02:

with all the money the browns spent on the offensive line, i certainly hope that's not the case.

Yeah, your o line will be tougher this year, let's see if we can get through it enough.

BTW, good luck to your browns on sunday J Dawg, I know it's a rivalry but I'm hoping for a good and fun game too

revefsreleets
09-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah it's a bad thing! I want Browns fans to mock!

j-dawg
09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
And then we have some fun knocking out Derek Anderson too :wink02:

Yeah, your o line will be tougher this year, let's see if we can get through it enough.

BTW, good luck to your browns on sunday J Dawg, I know it's a rivalry but I'm hoping for a good and fun game too

:cheers: thanks duke! can't wait for sunday... it's gonna be hella fun, and i'm hoping for the same as well!

lilyoder6
09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
what time is the game???

zoneblitz43
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
The game starts at 1pm eastern time.

thebigE007
09-05-2007, 06:02 PM
lets hope the steelers pound him!

HometownGal
09-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Mr. Frye - meet Mr. Farrior and Mr. Hoke . . . . . . .again (you little puss). :toofunny::tt02:

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051225pd_fbn_farrior_fmblPJ01_230.jpg

steelpride12
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Ha it's a smart move to not let brady queer play they would want there new boy to be dead his first NFL game.

j-dawg
09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
wonder how many of the steelers linebackers are going to "slip" in this game!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/cache3000-4.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
09-05-2007, 10:01 PM

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/cache3000-4.jpgwas the facemask called ???

j-dawg
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
was the facemask called ???

MasterOfPuppets
09-05-2007, 10:06 PM
so he doesn't have hold of the facemask???

j-dawg
09-06-2007, 12:07 AM
so he doesn't have hold of the facemask???

if you watched the game you'd of known there was no face mask.. it's called a stiff arm ace.

Preacher
09-06-2007, 02:17 AM
if you watched the game you'd of known there was no face mask.. it's called a stiff arm ace.

Doesn't matter. Now a days... any hand to the face is basically a facemask. however, the hands are actually IN the face, which makes it illegal anyways.

But the past is the past.

Galax Steeler
09-06-2007, 03:54 AM
He's just running for his life and a finger to the eye was the only way to get away.

StinkyB
09-06-2007, 07:24 AM
You know it is sat when ateam starts their should-be back-up against you in the home opener because they know their golden boy won't be able to handle the hear.

steelpride12
09-06-2007, 06:54 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051225mf_fbn_fan_takedownPJ_450.jpg

here is your answer! ha

j-dawg
09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Doesn't matter. Now a days... any hand to the face is basically a facemask. however, the hands are actually IN the face, which makes it illegal anyways.

But the past is the past.

sure.. but if it isn't called, than it's a stiff arm!! :flap:

Preacher
09-06-2007, 10:23 PM
sure.. but if it isn't called, than it's a stiff arm!! :flap:

and if the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

:sofunny::sofunny:

jjpro11
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM

dude.. c'mon... dont be bringing that shit in here.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/nfl/2006/12/07/karma-comes-in-the-form-of-james-farrior/