PDA

View Full Version : Steelers name captains....the envelope, please

stillers4me
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Steelers Name 2007 Team Captains

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers named four players today as team captains for the 2007 season. One player was selected as offensive and defensive captains, and two were selected for special teams. The players were selected by a vote of their teammates.

For the fourth consecutive season, LB James Farrior was named defensive captain. WR Hines Ward was named offensive captain for the third straight season. LB Clint Kriewaldt was named special teams co-captain for the third time in four seasons and will be joined by fellow LB James Harrison, who received the honor for the first time.

tony hipchest
09-03-2007, 04:16 PM
nice. here is a link to our prediction thread.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18024&highlight=team+captains

i thought it would be ben and farrior or a. smith.

i think tomlin made a good choice and happy to see ward cool his sniping to the media a bit and act like a coach on the field that tomlin recognized.

ben and big snack are the undisputed leaders, and now weve got the captains. lets roll.

verks36
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
i like the pick of Harrison as a special teams captain. He will play i think in every specail teams set besides field goal block that means we will need timmons/woodley to spell him to keep him fresh

DACEB
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I think it's safe to say that expectations are high for silverback. I believe Harrison is an upgrade from a physical standpoint over Porter, I just hope he has been learning well. I thought Harrison looked a little over anxious in pre-season, caught overreacting on a few plays.

I anticipate big things from silverback, and that is a good choice of captains. The team chose them and I believe they all represent STEELER football, blue collar, hard nosed and physical.

The Duke
09-03-2007, 04:30 PM
No Big Snack??

Congrats Harrison!!

stillers4me
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Are you ready for some football??????? :jammin:

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
So I guess Faneca made a locker room speech prior to the voting that if nominated he would not run and if elected he would not serve? :sofunny:

Glad to see Alan did not have to tearfully decline a captaincy due to the ongoing injustice of his contract negotiations. He presumably will have some analysis of the results as he holds court at his locker.

My bet is this voting was overseen under the "guidance" of Tomlin.

nojobny
09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Are you ready for some football??????? :jammin:

I am beyond ready. I feel like this off season has been an eternity! :tt02::tt02::tt02:

tony hipchest
09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
while it had always been steelers tradition for the players to nominate the captains, tomlin is on record saying he is not a big fan of tradition, and announced he would be the one to appoint the captains, not the players.

i think tomlin has an accurate guage of the team and appointed those who woulda been elected anyways.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
while it had always been steelers tradition for the players to nominate the captains, tomlin is on record saying he is not a big fan of tradition, and announced he would be the one to appoint the captains, not the players.

i think tomlin has an accurate guage of the team and appointed those who woulda been elected anyways.

The story claims there was a "vote" (sort of like when Saddam would be "re-elected" unanimously?):smile:

tony hipchest
09-03-2007, 05:08 PM
The story claims there was a "vote" (sort of like when Saddam would be "re-elected" unanimously?):smile::chuckle:

my bad. w/o a provided link i didnt read the story.

(youre on notice stillers4me! :link: ) :wink02:

Edman
09-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm stoked!:jammin:

This has been a gueling offseason. Go Steelers! Let's stomp Cleveland to start the year!

stillers4me
09-03-2007, 05:14 PM
:chuckle:

my bad. w/o a provided link i didnt read the story.

(youre on notice stillers4me! :link: ) :wink02:

What??? You don't believe me???? :jawdrop:

http://news.steelers.com/article/81034/

tony hipchest
09-03-2007, 05:25 PM
What??? You don't believe me???? :jawdrop:

http://news.steelers.com/article/81034/:wink02: thank you stillers4me.

the chart shows that since 98 steelers defensive captains have exclusively been linebackers except for the lone year lee flowers was a co-captain. interresting. with kirkland, flowers, and porter as past captains weve definitely had some mouths hold the title.

SteelersMongol
09-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Steelers Name 2007 Team Captains

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers named four players today as team captains for the 2007 season. One player was selected as offensive and defensive captains, and two were selected for special teams. The players were selected by a vote of their teammates.

For the fourth consecutive season, LB James Farrior was named defensive captain. WR Hines Ward was named offensive captain for the third straight season. LB Clint Kriewaldt was named special teams co-captain for the third time in four seasons and will be joined by fellow LB James Harrison, who received the honor for the first time.

I like these choices. Especially, Harrison's. :tt02:

ShutDown24
09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I like the choices.

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2007, 10:16 PM
No Big Snack??

Congrats Harrison!!

That's what I said when I read the article. Oh well, I'm sure Farrior is perfectly capable.

Preacher
09-03-2007, 11:41 PM
The story claims there was a "vote" (sort of like when Saddam would be "re-elected" unanimously?):smile:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Yeah... I thought Tomlin was going to pick the captains. Hmmmm.

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
no polamalu....interesting

Preacher
09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
no polamalu....interesting

I didn't expect him to be. He isn't vocal enough. He is the quiet, go play football type.