PDA

View Full Version : Comcast...Dolby digital 5.1...Ouch!

GBMelBlount
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
We have a hi def TV & an optical digital surrond sound input (dvd) for our a/v receiver. I have had a properly working dolby 5.1 for ages but am having a hard time getting it to work with comcast (Washington, PA). Dvd Always works with my bose 5.1 surround (years), but can't seem to get it to work with my new comcast HD box. Currently using the opticl digital output from comcast box to A/v receiver optical DVD audio input to experiment....We don't watch many other games than steelers, so don't need sports packages, but WANT THE MOST TRUE HD OFFERINGS if not overpriced. Any ideas? satellite? Newer receiver? etc. A/V 5.1 receiver old.

MACH1
09-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Look in to satellite. We have direct and they should be firing up around 50 new HD channels by sept 19th and the rest in dec. (60ish channels)
As far as football to get every steeler game you'd probly have to get sunday ticket.

Check their site or call to see what kind of deals the give for new customers. If you get direct when you call them say your "thinking" about switching from cable and what can they do for you to help make that decision.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Couple simple questions...

Do you have optical/digital ouput on your cable? Are you set for Dolby Dig.?

If there is still a problem, the I agree, Directv is not bad.

iN your area, there is a couple problems. 1. Bad weather, you will lose the signal. It makes it a little more dangerous when the tornadoes come, unless you get the very basic cable package (about 7 or 9 channels.)

2. If you are in the Steeler area, you will not be able to pick up the steelers on the NFL ticket.

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Couple simple questions...

Do you have optical/digital ouput on your cable? Are you set for Dolby Dig.?

If there is still a problem, the I agree, Directv is not bad.

iN your area, there is a couple problems. 1. Bad weather, you will lose the signal. It makes it a little more dangerous when the tornadoes come, unless you get the very basic cable package (about 7 or 9 channels.)

2. If you are in the Steeler area, you will not be able to pick up the steelers on the NFL ticket.

1. Yes & yes.

2. So how would I get Steelers if I switch to Direct?

Also, didn't AD and others say Direct compresses their signals so much of current HD programming not really HD?

I have also been dissatisfied with their customer service. They have screwed up the features on our phone service countless times.

MACH1
09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
1. Yes & yes.

2. So how would I get Steelers if I switch to Direct?

Also, didn't AD and others say Direct compresses their signals so much of current HD programming not really HD?

I have also been dissatisfied with their customer service. They have screwed up the features on our phone service countless times.

Direct has a new sat. up now and will be launching another next month.

This month by the 19th they will no longer be compressing any signal, so it will be full hd. Thats within the next week or two. I know that its ready to go, they have to drift it over a few degrees to park it in its spot. All the testing is done and they started moving it yesterday. Its possible they might fire it up this week if the fcc will let them.

And you really don't need a phone line hooked up to any receivers, they tell you, you do but you don't. Its only really needed for ordering ppv. Its better to go online to their site and order them anyways. Because if you do it that way what ever you order will be shown on every receiver in the house, not just the one that it was ordered by remote control

To get all the steelers games you would have to get Sunday Ticket.

Direct does not have any thing to do with your phone line unless its a bundle package through the local phone company. Then it would be the phone company's fault.

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
We just converted to Direct TV, and we love it. We dropped Communist Cast.

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Thanks. LOL. I am calling tomorrow.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 10:48 PM

:sofunny::sofunny:

Do you keep the very basic cable... Just to protect yourself in case of tornado? Like I said, we used to, just so that we could keep getting the broadcasts and know what was happening.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks. LOL. I am calling tomorrow.

Before you do... Make sure of one thing.

Do you normally, on cable, get the Steelers? Or do you normally get another team? If you normally get the Steelers, you will be blocked out. Also, ANY time the Steelers play the team in your area, the game will be blacked out and you will have to watch it on local channels.

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Before you do... Make sure of one thing.

Do you normally, on cable, get the Steelers? Or do you normally get another team? If you normally get the Steelers, you will be blocked out. Also, ANY time the Steelers play the team in your area, the game will be blacked out and you will have to watch it on local channels.

Currently, on comcast, I get the Steelers games.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Currently, on comcast, I get the Steelers games.

Then you won't get the games on NFL Sunday ticket. Just make sure you get the local channels package, so you can get the games.

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Then you won't get the games on NFL Sunday ticket. Just make sure you get the local channels package, so you can get the games.

I am assuming I can get that with Direct?

Preacher
09-04-2007, 11:50 PM
I am assuming I can get that with Direct?

Check the website. ANymore, you can. They have just about every city on it now. Go to the website and check it out.

MACH1
09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
They don't black out any games in my area. Even if their on the local national channels. No I do not get locals through direct, they don't have them for this area. But I get all channels with a smallish antenna.
Any uhf/vhf antenna will work for digital hd over the air channels too. You don't need any "special" ant. to pick them up.

MACH1
09-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Oops.

Preacher
09-05-2007, 12:37 AM
They don't black out any games in my area. Even if their on the local national channels. No I do not get locals through direct, they don't have them for this area. But I get all channels with a smallish antenna.
Any uhf/vhf antenna will work for digital hd over the air channels too. You don't need any "special" ant. to pick them up.

that may be because your not in an area claimed by a team. I have always had a game blacked out. Here, it is San Fran and Oakland games (no big loss)!!

MACH1
09-05-2007, 01:05 AM
that may be because your not in an area claimed by a team. I have always had a game blacked out. Here, it is San Fran and Oakland games (no big loss)!!

Here its denver, seattle or one of the california teams. Which ever one is doing the best will be the one we end up with. Probably the chargers again.

Preacher
09-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Here its denver, seattle or one of the california teams. Which ever one is doing the best will be the one we end up with. Probably the chargers again.

That's why, your not in a designated area for a specific team probably.

Atlanta Dan
09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
DirecTV is kind of random in implementing its SundayTicket blackout policy.

They are supposed to black out whatever games are being carried on the local channels, be it the home franchise (Falcons here in ATL) or whatever non-local teams are being carried, since DirecTV does not carry the local commercials and argubaly detracts from the local stations ratings.

It is pretty hit or miss as to whether the non-local team games are blackd out on the dish, given that those games change at the last minute, which results in unpleasant scenes for DirecTV customer service such as when I have called in an uproar about the Steelers not being on local TV or SundayTicket.

Preacher
09-06-2007, 02:48 AM
DirecTV is kind of random in implementing its SundayTicket blackout policy.

They are supposed to black out whatever games are being carried on the local channels, be it the home franchise (Falcons here in ATL) or whatever non-local teams are being carried, since DirecTV does not carry the local commercials and argubaly detracts from the local stations ratings.

It is pretty hit or miss as to whether the non-local team games are blackd out on the dish, given that those games change at the last minute, which results in unpleasant scenes for DirecTV customer service such as when I have called in an uproar about the Steelers not being on local TV or SundayTicket.

:sofunny::sofunny:

You too!!! It torques me off when that happens!