PDA

View Full Version : Steelers err by dropping Iwuoma

83-Steelers-43
09-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Steelers err by dropping Iwuoma
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The roster is what it is but not what it could be or should be.

Not without Chidi.

And of all the issues the Steelers have wrestled with in compiling their 53-man roster and in aligning their starters, the eventual conclusion that they're better off without Chidi Iwuoma is the most confusing.

They made this same mistake a year ago, in part because of circumstances, and paid dearly for it.

This year, with no such pressure brought to bear by an emergency appendectomy or the sudden temporary unavailability of one of their tight ends, they've repeated their error.
That'll cost them on punts and kickoffs.

At running back, the decision to keep rookie free agent Gary Russell over veteran Verron Haynes is much easier to comprehend. The Steelers clearly no longer valued Haynes as the best option to protect Ben Roethlisberger as the third-down back and went instead with Russell, who might be their best option at tailback behind Willie Parker.

Along the offensive line, the inclusion of Darnell Stapleton is surprising only in that Stapleton was able to overcome knee surgery in training camp that had seemingly derailed his candidacy for a roster spot. Stapleton, another rookie free agent, had made a name for himself among the coaches and scouts by the conclusion of the offseason's organized team activities. And he's more position-flexible (Stapleton plays guard and center) than his former Rutgers teammate, fifth-round pick Cameron Stephenson (guard only).

The release of center Chukky Okobi, meanwhile, had been expected ever since the free-agent signing of center Sean Mahan. If Okobi wasn't going to finally become the starter after years of serving as the backup, there was no sense in keeping Okobi around.

Linebacker Marquis Cooper carved out a place for himself because of his experience and special teams prowess. Nothing wrong with having another guy such as that available, particularly when an extra roster spot at linebacker could be obtained by affording one fewer along the defensive line at the expense of fourth-round pick Ryan McBean.

McBean simply isn't worthy.

As for the conclusions reached in listing Willie Colon ahead of Max Starks on the depth chart at right tackle and in signing Kendall Simmons over Alan Faneca, those are at least understandable if not agreeable (they should have extended Faneca and they should be starting Starks).

The same can't be said of trading for veteran cornerback/return man Allen Rossum.

The Steelers already have a return man in Willie Reid and, in the event Reid becomes unavailable or at some point is no longer considered acceptable, viable alternatives in Santonio Holmes and Cedrick Wilson.

What they no longer have is one of their special teams leaders, a player considered so invaluable that linebacker/special teams demon James Harrison repeatedly campaigned to former coach Bill Cowher to bring Iwuoma back after Iwuoma was released last season.

Harrison considers Iwuoma to be one of the best special teams players in the league, a guy around whom Steelers' coverages revolved and a guy so accomplished other teams had to account for him in special teams game-planning.

Perhaps Harrison can convince new coach Mike Tomlin to correct this year's mistake.

Chidi should still be here.

Without him, the Steelers won't be all they could be in Cleveland.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_525575.html

fansince'76
09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
One big difference this year - they're actually PRACTICING at STs. Not simply "just running down the field and making plays" like they used to. Or did this guy miss the fact that they were ranked 30th in the league on STs last year?

tony hipchest
09-03-2007, 11:35 PM
wow. talk about the melodrama hitting the fan....

i like chidi and all, but didnt 3 teams cut him last year? :hunch:

billybob
09-03-2007, 11:51 PM
wish i could agree with you about chidi,we must move on,and things are not like they used to be.plain and simple,hope you are not right ,but we will soon know the answers.i agree with the coach about letting things play out.we hired him for a reason so lets see how the mans picking and choosing holds up.

jjpro11
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
i like chidi as well.. but i feel better about this cut this year, knowing we have william gay to replace him on ST and the emergence of carey davis on ST.

Prosdo
09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I like Chidi and all, but damn. Losing him doesn't really hurt with Cary Davis and William Gay being able to play ST.

billybob
09-04-2007, 12:12 AM
we need more discussion on who we have,than who we don't have.spilled milk will dry and wither away.what's wrong with the screen pass to the port?

Preacher
09-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I like Chidi and all, but damn. Losing him doesn't really hurt with Cary Davis and William Gay being able to play ST.

Yep. And in the end, it is a much better trade off for the entire team.

billybob
09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
may god bless you the preacher!!! i really like the fact that this is the begining of a whole new era. no one has opened the can of worms just yet.cleveland will do that.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Steelers err by dropping Iwuoma
......... and they should be starting Starks).

What exactly has Prisuta been smoking?

billybob
09-04-2007, 12:39 AM
don't know but it can't be camel filters.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 01:35 AM
As for the conclusions reached in listing Willie Colon ahead of Max Starks on the depth chart at right tackle and in signing Kendall Simmons over Alan Faneca, those are at least understandable if not agreeable (they should have extended Faneca and they should be starting Starks).

What!!!! I just read this part... :jawdrop::jawdrop:

I think this guy is definitely smoking something green and illegal.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Ok Tomlin has stated he will play starters on special teams...Plus Woodley and Timmons will play on special teams....Both William Gay and Carey Davis looked solid on special teams in pre-season....Then there is still Kreiwaldt...I think there is enough guys that can play special teams and can play a position....If Chidi offered anything as a corner then maybe he would have made the team....I liked Chidi to but with Tomlin's added attention to special teams I think there isn't a need to keep 2-3 guys just for the kick coverage untis...lol

Galax Steeler
09-04-2007, 03:47 AM
I don't think cutting chidi is going to make our special teams bad we got some young blood in there we will be fine.

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2007, 08:46 AM
What!!!! I just read this part... :jawdrop::jawdrop:

I think this guy is definitely smoking something green and illegal.

That jumped out at me as well - it would be nice if Priusta could expalin how they should have extended Faneca and why Starks should be starting over Colon, but he obviously was too busy building his case for Chidi (teams ""plan" for Chidi? - who the hell is his source on that?)

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Ok Tomlin has stated he will play starters on special teams...Plus Woodley and Timmons will play on special teams....Both William Gay and Carey Davis looked solid on special teams in pre-season....Then there is still Kreiwaldt...I think there is enough guys that can play special teams and can play a position....If Chidi offered anything as a corner then maybe he would have made the team....I liked Chidi to but with Tomlin's added attention to special teams I think there isn't a need to keep 2-3 guys just for the kick coverage untis...lol

With the young talent & Tomlin's emphasis, maybe we can get excited about ST this year rather than dread it when they're on the field.

Mosca
09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I think the same thing others have implied; maybe Chidi was so good on special teams for the Steelers because everyone else on our special teams was so bad. WITH Chidi we were 30th. WITHOUT Chidi we would have been 32nd.

But, with everyone else pulling their weight and without Chidi, maybe we'll be 15th or so.

And like was also mentioned, he was great for us, but 3 other teams cut the guy. Maybe he was the only average special teamer we had, and he seemed great comparatively.

Tom

Crushzilla
09-04-2007, 10:05 AM

The same can't be said of trading for veteran cornerback/return man Allen Rossum.

This is confusing. So he's saying that the Rossum trade AND the Chidi release was a bad idea.

There is no substance to this argument.

He has no fact to back it up. Instead he tries to make other transactions look like bad ideas to build his case for Chidi.

Rossum in, Chidi out...

Look at the history. We're better off.

kochmanski
09-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I liked Chidi and all, and cutting him LAST YEAR was a big mistake.

But this year, there're plenty of new blood on the roster making big hits on special teams. Carey Davis comes to mind right away. He's been great on the coverage teams.

The Duke
09-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I would have preferred to cut Kriewaldt and keep Chidi. But what's done is done and I just wish Chidi the best of luck

rog
09-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I would have preferred to cut Kriewaldt and keep Chidi. But what's done is done and I just wish Chidi the best of luck

I think we need Kriewaldt more than Chidi for the depth at LB.

jjpro11
09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
it really was stupid to cut chidi last year looking back... i mean, look at who we had on special teams.. F'n sean morey was a special teams captain. this year look at the new blood we have on there. timmons, woodley, gay, davis.. thats solid right there.